What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

What did I do in KSP today? made a Shuttle of course!

http://youtu.be/Q1v557CWd4Y

I would love if you could make the craft file public, I really want to see how you dealth with the thrust to mass shift after the sideboosters went off!

EDIT: I hadn't actually clicked the video (only seen it through the embeded version on the forum) and found the craft file!

Today went tinkering with the parts and made myself an heavy low altitude plane, it however failed to land and dozen parts went flying.. But this part of the wing literally stay stable at 529meter, it doesn't want to go any where but floats at 2.7m/s for more then 5 minutes.

Q1ff9EV.png

CAICUw.png

Orbited with a simple orbiter, constructed a cheap disposable suborbital-hop rocket to get data contracts, performed some Goo Science and upgraded a couple of facilities. Afterwards, I did several parts tests and made some headway on placing a Keostationary satellite for a contract. Coming to the end of Kerbin day 1 of my 0.90 career.

9jvOgK.png

I don't have an image of the version that actually made orbit with the payload, but here's its immediate predecessor that got suborbital before being reverted. The current version removed the 'chutes from the top of the tanks, and added two more BACC boosters with radial decouplers, keeping the total part count at 30. I'll be saving up to upgrade my VAB next, I think. 30 parts is rather limiting right now. Fortunately, I upgraded my launchpad and mission control, and am running a Fundraiser at 25%, so it shouldn't be too difficult to make money.

The big reason for the strange shape was the BACC orbital test, though the LV-T45 orbital test was also a consideration. I built up enough science for the FL-T800 tank because otherwise there was no way to fit enough fuel on to even get suborbital with all this weighty payload. It's funny how not even three tons of payload seems to be rather a lot in early career mode. Jeb (now a level 1 pilot) flew the ship to a 670/70 orbit (leaving 4 LF in the main tanks), ran the tests at the appropriate heights, detached the satellite at periapse and burned the remaining fuel retrograde at apoapse. It'll be a multi-pass return, but he is deorbited. Hopefully, the capsule will survive the reentry, though I doubt the rest will. Only two radial parachutes, both on the capsule, see.

The satellite itself has a 'chute to balance the required Goo canister, three solar panels that might not actually provide all-around coverage, the required antenna, a reaction wheel, a Z200 and an LV-909 for propulsion. No SAS units yet, and also no tracking station upgrade, so this flight to the target orbit might be a little awkward.

Edited by Concentric

I managed to place a large fuel station in orbit around Jool by joining two fuel tankers there. After the orbit was established and the docking complete I had 8624 units of liquid fuel (and matching oxidizer) plus 1500 units of monopropellant fuel available for use by future missions to the system.

Idiot that I am, I completely forgot to add any RCS thrusters to my tanker design which made the docking take at least 20 minutes of me cursing at the screen, followed by much rejoicing when the docking finally happened.

At least now I am well positioned for some good missions to Jool's moons now. Here's the new station pic:

sEYFuwF.jpg

Working on a 7 day Career tutorial and challenge for those using 0.90 Beta. Lots of interesting restrictions showing up as I develop the program from its first launch to the first interplanetary contracts. Running into the need to upgrade the complex in order to unlock EVA, launch pad weight restriction, ship size, and flight aids such as the Maneuver Mode.

Well I had to cheat today. I had to enable infinite fuel to get Bob off the Mun. I am terrible at this game. I really need to learn a bit more of science. I tend to play this game like a kerbal and just try and add more thrust. That just doesn't work well.

Decided that my trip to every body in the solar system needed something special for Mun and Minmus, so I brought back something from the past of mine. It is the Lunar Tour Bus or rather it was as it now has a new name now the Lunar Tour Tower. I may add a few more pods to it to make it hold close to 40 Kerbals, right now it holds 34, and this one features docking, though it will not have RCS of its own as it will be docked to something rather than trying to dock it to something (makes sense I hope.). It is 99.6 tons and about 197 parts with batteries stored in the SAS parts, something I have started doing more of in recent crafts.

oNcgkGq.png

And yes I do plan to fill the whole thing up with Kerbals and have them land on Mun, with the hope I will not have one randomly explode this time. :D Oh and the Christmas tree is still out LOL (Video will be coming Monday for that I think).

Been working through 0.90 Career mode today, modified Hard mode (dropped building prices to Normal levels because I don't want to grind forever just to be able to go interplanetary). I just finished up my traditional Mun exploitation mission, and have a Minmus variant to that mission on the way to the little blue marble in Kerbin's sky. Also have a craft going off to Moho for much science fun, though I'm sure I won't get the "Explore Moho" contract before it arrives...

Caught up on the Kadvent Kalendar. Finally. Docked an eight-Kerbal habitat module to the core I sent up yesterday, farted around with the six Kerbals I had on Duna and then sent them home.

Didn't bother to check mods today - maybe tomorrow.

screenshot0.png

who'd think that these things would actually fly?

performance isn't too bad, i've built planes that were more maneuverable but others far less so.

issues are an extreme lack of yaw authority when the engines are throttled down making for tense landings, requiring those large canards as vertical stabilizers, and also that the craft has absurdly low drag, which is great for acceleration but also means you can be on final landing approach at sea level and still going mach 1.