What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Woke up to an email on my phone from Squad wishing me a happy birthday. First and only time I've seen a development and forum team take the time to automate that for the members and players, so it was nice to put in some time today. Started a new career....again...in 0.90, with hard as the default, but changed penalties to %120 percent, because 6 million for a building upgrade on hardmode would be tedious.

Perfected my 18T/30 part craft, but already past the point of needing it since I upgraded the Launchpad. I have also made a great 30 part Mun/Minmus Lander that could possibly make it to Duna and back too. Right now I'm trying to get Jeb back from a 50km by 9mill km return that I didn't take the decouple force into account for extra d/v.

All in all, I'm planning to finish my Explore Mun/Minmus contracts tonight, pick up Chuck Kerman from orbit, and send a probe fleet, and a Kerbal or two to Duna and Eve once the windows open.. Though I don't think I'll warp this time, instead focusing on Science from the Kerbin system, and having some decent relay stations for transfer vehicles, and going interplanetary for the first time with a mothership instead of a one kerbal ship.

Update on the probe spam

Well...

The moho probe came in at too high a velocity and failed to achieve orbit.

Eve went very nicely. It managed to pick up science from Gilly despite coming in at far too poor an angle to orbit and land, and it completed the Eve exploration mission and an opportunistic science from Eve contract picking up a whole heap of cash. Fortunately it was enough even to make a profit on the whole probe spamming endevour as.....

Shortly after that, the other 5.... got eaten by a space kraken :mad:

They all somehow got teleported to what i'm guessing is the games maximum possible distance from the star, all in one spot. Over 100k gone up in flames and 2 million+ in contracts delayed.

Before the Moho and Eve encounters (and at least one launch!)

KSPOrbits_zps08493ff8.jpg

and after....

5probesspacekrakened_zpsab81e38d.jpg

Edited by ghpstage

Got my ship 'Voyager' assembled up in orbit and ready to go. Where? No idea. Maybe just a test run out and about... that way --> ...just to see how things go. Thanks go out to armagheddonsgw and Mesons for trying to help me resolve a docking problem with it... yes, the solution was probe cores. :)

TfUZyzo.png

Mods:

FAR

Deadly re-entry

Kerbal Engineer Redux

Remote Tech

Procedural Fairings

Today I placed my first several satellite contracts and saved up enough money to purchase the first upgrade for every building. I have every 45 science node unlocked, as well as Heavy Rocketry, Advanced Flight Control and Electrics from the 90 tier.

I'm ready to go to The Mun, but first I decided to build a 3-pod training ship to get all my kerbals orbited around Kerbin and up to the first tier in two batches. I had to revert once after, having successfully re-entered and landed on kerbin, one of my kerbals tripped over and died whilst on EVA in Kerbin's grasslands. >.<

Next stop, The Mun!

[stock .90 career]

Probed around Minimus doing temperature scans, crash landed my probe into Minimus after being a little to enthusiastic with the time accelaretion. (Probe is in perfect condition, but missing it's ion engine. So it's pretty, but useless)

Did some sub-Orbital parts testing and maxed out the launch pad.

Next up, send a lander & a lab to Minimus. Suck all the science out !

Still in 0.25, all my mods have now been updated except for LoadOnDemand. Unfortunately, that's the critical one.

Finished up the Kadvent Kalendar challenge - put a lab module on my station and then moved a Christmas tree off the launch pad. Sorta.

6idjcvM.png

QNwukk4.png

Most Kerbal Christmas Tree ever...

last night I added a couple more pieces to my space station. Originally I was just going to add the lab piece separately, but then decided I liked how I situated that there with the engine still on, as a sort of escape vessel. So tonight I will get another stand-alone lab to attach that isn't rocket-mounted. Also I like the look of the labs as space station parts, so I'll probably add a few more and chain them together to make it look like living quarters, distinguishing them and the "real" lab by having a bunch of blinky and pointy things sticking off the real lab.

C0933C58CD484986450F23A480B1B0D4C69ED2F5

Made this for a KSP mod:

9vLowU0.png

It's not nearly done to a point where i'm wholly satisfied, but i'm pretty dang satisfied, especially since this is one of my first "serious" models. I'll add further details, like small wiring and shading to the textures later.

Well. Got to land on Minmus without patch conics or how ever it is spelled. Improved my Kerbal Science Engineer exp leveler craft:

FD8D2E69DC7544C41A1CE648466747D0A224FE8F

I think I could play this game without patched conics for long time, even for interplanetary journies, as I was getting good at getting to Mün and Minmus without them. But, sadly. I upgraded my tracking station. As It makes it easier to do and not waste fuel with the tonnage and part limits.

r5UfX4.png

Launched the new Polaris30 version into polar orbit, having more than enough leftover fuel to change it to another polar orbit and complete two satellite contracts. I also performed some parts tests for science, put up a small orbiting thermometer satellite, and eventually nudged the imbalanced, SAS-less keostationary probe into the required orbit for its contract. I had enough science then to research jet engines, so I put together a plane.

AIEiR8.png

WnKZdJ.png

30 parts, no landing gear. I called it the Jet Set Radio, and it used six separatrons for a rocket-assisted takeoff. It parachute-lands, too, just to be safe. I flew it north to get the closer survey marks (two above (17500, 16100), one below 16900), and then tried to fly it across the ocean to Kerbin's Reach and get the three upper atmosphere ones around it before landing there. Unfortunately, I ran out of fuel shortly after crossing the ocean and getting the one above the Tranquility.

oAvSfy.png

D0F22x.png

It did give me the science to get landing gear, though. The next Jet Set Radio had half-again as much fuel, and three gear bays replacing the four skids. This one got the remaining two upper atmosphere surveys, then parachute-landed at the Reach for the surface EVA report. It might be able to land horizontally, too, but I didn't try it.

ModBao.png

Finally, I accepted a bunch of contracts, then had to clear some out in time to pick up other ones that looked neat - but I misread one. It was a Mun orbit test, not a Kerbin orbit test for the LV-1R. No wonder it had a high reward... So, next up, I'll be sending a Mun mission to clear some contracts before a particularly interesting-looking contract expires.

Made this for a KSP mod:

http://i.imgur.com/9vLowU0.png

It's not nearly done to a point where i'm wholly satisfied, but i'm pretty dang satisfied, especially since this is one of my first "serious" models. I'll add further details, like small wiring and shading to the textures later.

Hey great! Looks pretty good. I know how awesome it is when you finally get things to come together in blender.

One tiny suggestion: When you're ready to export it to Unity, don't forget to smooth it first, so you don't see all the little facets on the cylindrical parts. A quick-and-dirty method is to hit "Smooth" while in Object mode, then add an "Edge Split" modifier so it doesn't smooth all of the corners off.

I build and used my first VTOL. Due to lack of piloting skill it is more a VTO(L), but still.

The engines are mounted on IR rotatrons, so far allowing 360° turns. The first iteration suffered from an acute lack of electric power, which made fuel efficient gliding impossible, so the next one got solar panels and a bunch of batteries. And a small wheel in the back for conventional landing.

The next goal is to make it more stable at high altitudes and that tricky moment between slow gliding and powered vertical landing.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ironed out some of the last remaining problems on my Jool-5 mothership

- Reworked solar panel placement

- Added an additional disposable "Science package" to be ejected into Laythe (the Laythe Ascender didn't feature Science Jr. nor the Goo, so had to strap additional, disposable ones).

- Added a probe core and battery on my ship's science tug (all experiments are on a docking port with RCS jets, but had forgotten the remote core and battery)

- Still need a Jool drone to drop into the planet (for SCIENCE!)

- Still need to perfect my Tylo landings... so far only at 50% success out of 10 attempts. I keep messing up the landing/burning too much fuel. Eve-mission is going to be something ain't it ?

Getting close to being ready. Lots of work into that mission... and the scientific flyby one was so quick to plan.

Pictures will come when everything is finished/ready.

Today I built this thing.

Tardis_zps9d954842.jpg

It may be small, but its actually an SSTO that weights 11.8 tons :huh:

It can't do much in orbit, but thats not really suprising as the only non tier zero part it uses is a single FL-T100 fuel tank, it can land on land in one piece however.

Its also ridiculously agile in the atmosphere and only requires the first tech researched to build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU1zGTrPl1g&feature=youtu.be

The new offset tool seems to have potential for a whole lot of silliness :D

Edited by ghpstage

Apparently I am not meant to test my Eve launcher/lander at all this week. First thing to go wrong was the SAS stay on node was left on to follow retrograde during the launch off of Eve, causing a revert since I could not recall if I had saved or not. Second try I dumped the transfer stage back into Kerbin due to a fat finger hitting the space bar. And today the Kraken ate my map mode and I could not go back to ship view, or any other vessel for the matter. I know the craft can get there, provided the pilot doesn't make a goof up, and it should in theory be able to leave as long as I do not land at sea level. In a bit of happier news I got stuff to make apple pie, not sure how that is related to KSP but I am just putting that out there LOL :sticktongue:

Today, one of my satellites took this breathtaking (at least for me) picture of Kerbin.

http://i.imgur.com/SF9hu4B.png

Damn. KSP can be so beautiful and outstanding...

Yeah I had not logged in too much during .25 and when I came back it just amazed me how beautiful Kerbin looked once in orbit. I think I get awe struck every time I see Kerbin from orbit,and that is a good thing.