What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I made this. The I-80 Mk. III Space Shuttle Carrier. The Space Shuttle itself was designed by Westi29. I think I'm actually the first on these forums to do this successfully.

They said it was impossible... :D Thanks to the devs, .90 makes this possible.

Edited by inigma

Two day's ago went for a night test flight in a newly design (minimum parts -Firespitter) aircraft. It work quite well slow speed but goes nearly forever. May try and put floats on it and see how it fly's.

L59AEPD.png

Yesterday reach the science tech level of being able to use the stand alone warp drive in science mode. Warp vehicle/probe out on its way for testing when it reach safe testing altitude. [PS: science mode is a bit harder to do then career mode - at least longer]

JmN8lO9.png

Today I learnt that even a dead probe can have battery power turned back on. This will allow my future probes to go interplanetary before solar panels, as well as cut their costs!

It does raise questions as to why the heck I bothered battery spamming a probe to go to the Mun though....

:D

Edited by ghpstage

Built a VTOL jet, and worked on the Mun contracts with Seanski in MunTherm.

N3prJU.png

LfLUjM.png

aJVp2M.png

This was my second attempt at making a VTOL. The first one was serial, with the vertical engines at the front and back. Not only did it look goofy, it spun out of control and was difficult to make hover. The offset tool has been rather helpful getting the CoT the right side of the CoM, and disabling the thrust of the rear jets while constructing allowed me to get things in line properly. A good bit of the modification was done in the VAB, once the majority of the structure was there - particularly setting up the action groups. Hopefully, the dry CoM won't be too far forward, but I haven't tested that. Clipped within are two Z-200 batteries, and an Okto in the bottom - girders gave me a good way to lower the CoM, attach torque and orient the probe core.

pWnfRj.png

h9jYKs.png

wufouq.png

Seanski used the remains of the transfer stage to adjust orbits and get a couple of temperature readings for one contract, then missed the altitude window for the third of that one. I decided it would be better to move for a landing at this point, as the lander was now separated and operating under its own power, so I sent it to Zone Q303. I landed, got the Beta reading, took some reports and planted a flag. Then, I made a couple of hops.

XadBow.png

nwCm13.png

A couple more temperature readings and I've completed the Zone Q303 contract. Some of the needed readings and reports lie on the same Great Circle as the current site, so it should be possible to grab a few in series before looking for the next landing - I'm not entirely certain how many landings this lander can do and still get home... and there's still a few to do here.

To I built a SSTO fighter-esk jet (kind of like a Mig 21) using the turbo jet and two Rockomax 24-77 radial mounted engines. I was able to get an ap of about 121 km and nearly got the pe around the planet, with more practice I maybe able to get nearly orbital with it.

qvuDFaX.png

Here Danbo is standing for a promo shot of the Smig

I have just finished my latest X-series SSTO spaceplane, the Arrowhead X3-DS Nano-SSTO. By far the best miniaturized spaceplane i have built so far. The craftfile and detailed description is available in my Spacecraft Exchange thread. Enjoy!

shY6WZy.png

Today I learnt that even a dead probe can have battery power turned back on. This will allow my future probes to go interplanetary before solar panels, as well as cut their costs!

I can't find it, but someone posted a report (possibly in this thread somewhere) about getting a piece of uncontrolled debris to orbit by jettisoning it with the throttle open, and locking/unlocking the LFO resources as its forward vector tumbled past the direction he needed to accelerate.

I completed my Jool/Pol/Bop mission in the career mode.

jool_mission_1.jpeg

jool_mission_2.jpeg

jool_mission_3.jpeg

The horizontal design works quite well on the steep slopes of Bop.

jool_mission_4.jpeg

On the other hand, taking off requires some acrobatics, especially because the ship is usually facing the wrong direction.

Now I have almost enough money for the tier-3 R&D, with about 500 science points left after unlocking the last node in the tier-2 building.

I went back to work on the Smig since now I know it can get into orbit, and easily at that, to add on more bits, since I may use this in a future mission. Added on RCS and RCS ports as well as a docking port underneath, and too it back up into orbit once more with even better success.

99AaDEN.png

I managed to get to 143km on just the turbo jet before it wouldn't push anymore, and then used the Rockomax engines to get into a nearly circular orbit. (not too sabby for just eyeballing it I think!)

xo6u6ys.png

Of course I had to get one of the brave hand picked volunteer looking at his death machine.....errrr wonder of aviation

t2JgZeW.png

I did manage to land it on the runway after missing it.......twice. I did move the docking port a bit future forward and added two batteries, but all in all it works and flies very well.

today I have edited my persistent file for the 1st time since I have bought KSP 5-6 months ago to resurrect one of my Kerbals because he wasn't lost due to my piloting or engineering error. Jeb was, as I have said few days ago, stranded in low Kerbin orbit and was waiting for his fellow kerbonauts to develop technology to come and rescue him. While there I decided to use him to milk some EVA report science around Kerbin. So I went to the tracking station, selected his ship and went to fly. When ship loaded it was spinning rapidly and when it stopped it was on escape trajectory out of Kerbin SOI with only 2 parts on his ship (capsule and parachute). So I canceled that mission in tracking station and edited persistent file to bring Jeb back.

I have also upgraded administration building and flew another mission to test poodle engine and get some "in space near Kerbin" science.

I got an actual payload into orbit and landed safely back on the runway, those huge wings make for a easy to land aircraft. Payload was, as I soon noticed, the better part of uncontrollable. I built it all symmetrical so I could use the gimbal to control it and get it into the correct orbit. However the decoupler I had it attached with was rotated 180°, causing the bulky part to stick to the sat. Will have to wait until I have SAS I think, 90 more science for a core that has it. Also discovered a few flaws in the prototype design, so moving the tailplane up, adding canards and some reaction wheels for better orbital control.

I Also managed to deorbit the failed sat, just barley.

y7tULG4.jpg