What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Started working on a new challenge called "space ants". It all revolves around landings on celestial bodies with least bulk possible. My proof-of-concept craft was able to reach mun from 250 km LKO, land, eva and return to Kerbin with 1.7 tons of bulk mass. Will try further squeezing it. Also I have to make reward badges and scoring tables.

Finally launched my new Mün station called Bay Lab, than I successfully deployed it on a 20 km orbit over Mün.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

What's Bay? It's a guy called Zoltán Bay. "He was the second person to observe radar echoes from the Moon."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zolt%C3%A1n_Lajos_Bay

Got a rover into orbit and tried to figure out how the heck to get it to Moho. Tutorials, I found one, but couldn't find the bookmark. Searched for a while...

...Then realized I was on Formula instead of Model mode in KAC, realized transfer was 17 days off.

oops

Sent Fredbald, Rogar, and Richvey on a training mission to Mun. Up until now, I've mainly been going places only if I had a contract, or something in particular I wanted to do there. However, I find that all my well-trained engineers are off at Duna, and I have a landing leg on my astroid pusher that needs fixing, so I am running these three around the Kerbin system to gain experience.

This tells me that, at least to some extent, the experience system in 0.90 is having real effects on gameplay. I do wish there was a better system for looking at the mission logs - between the log info added in 0.90 and Final Frontier, there is quite a bit of information about each Kerbal available, but no really good way to review the info all in one spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Making landing legs!

Are these sufficiently temperature-resistant to survive a DRE re-entry w/o buring up? I have been using modular struts because the stock landing legs melt during re-entry.

I have been attempting to make space shuttles all day. Nothing is working! My shuttles are designed to be able to land w/o any fuel (runway or no runway) but they have a serious problem with the nose end of the craft; nothing will make it move up, and I don't want to add any silly looking canards to my space plane.

Are these sufficiently temperature-resistant to survive a DRE re-entry w/o buring up? I have been using modular struts because the stock landing legs melt during re-entry.

That's a good question. I'll have to remember to take a look at how DRE handles it and see what I can do.

Sent a base to Eve and added a Sun probe as a hitchhiker. As the station aerobraked into Eve orbit the probe got some free delta V knocking about 6° off the required plane change and putting the periapsis inside Moho's orbit. A little more Ion thrust (well a lot actually) eventually got it into a tundra orbit of the Sun. After that I decided to see how close I could get to the Sun using an earlier solar probe.1290m apparently :D

screenshot1386_zps35047943.jpg

screenshot1391_zpseb036bbc.jpg

After manned return missions to Moho and Eve back in the good old 0.23.5 days (somewhere around page 900 of this thread ^^), I finally did a manned landing on a different planet than Kerbin again. Jeb is the first Kerbal I sent to Duna. The long time between can be easily explained: I used Remote Tech for 0.24 and 0.25, and in both saves I barely managed to finance and deploy a deep space comms network before the next version of KSP was released and I decided to start over... Now in 0.90 I'm only using the stock bugfix mods and KAC, so it was rather straightforward to go to Duna.

Screenshots will be posted once the ship is returned to Kerbin, what might take some time, as there are still some contracts to be finished and the transfer window is still quite some time away...

Slam_Jones: Nice jetpack!

Necrobones: In my case, I'm not concerned about re-entry heating but mechanical stress, which is going to be brutal on those right-angle joints. You want your loading vector in a straight line through the part (and up into the rocket) if at all possible. If it were me, I'd design those to swing out at a 60 degree angle or so: / \

I tried to build a space plane. So far I had 5 iterations, none made it to orbit. They can get to 28km on jets only though, with a horizontal velocity of about 1km/s. And got so much fuel left, that I will replace one of the LF only tanks with a LFO one, that will hopefully give me the dV to make it to orbit.

Edited by Theoderich