What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

So, a couple of weeks back, I posted the S4, a void-combat SSTO gunship. It's now undergone a total redesign, and has been redesignated the F4 (I'm reserving the S designation for transport-only SSTOs, and using F for any combat vessel, beit atmospheric or void only, or both).

So, without any further ado, presenting the F4 gunship:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm not going to include craft files like last time unless anyone really wants them - probably a few too many mods.

Munshot that stranded someone there without enough fuel to get home. (Sorry!)

Launched a Mun station.

Minimus landing, to train up some crew.

Knocked out a satellite contract.

Tweaked my munshot lifter design.

Took out a bunch of contracts.

Analysed the best methods/parts for a Duna mission.

Started a new career mode.

0D07100DE06561E45884455557AAF4BA29657369

D5D06E5F1165478DB898AC1C07C070C59A5118B2

B5C9C0AD80EE74293A5095A0BF42C5773574B740

Almost made it back to KSC.

7C6D6AC26100662905878CF878DED0C6C55B4C68

Forgot to add that once I landed this thing successfully on a pretty steep incline on the side of a mountain, Jeb got out to plant a flag and retrieve surface samples. Planting the flag a little too close to the ship resulted in the flag unfurling and ever so gently touching the ship. This ended with Jeb trying to frantically keep the ship from rolling down the mountain after it was pushed over by the flag. Didn't work, rolled over Jeb, destroyed the ship, no recovery of science or parts. Jeb survived though. :sticktongue:

Edited by Bigbootie

Here are some screens of stuff I have been up to. Mostly building lifters, labs, scansats, refuelers, and landers and sending them everywhere. No landings yet but I had my first fatality when I purposely smashed into Moho with a manned craft and then a robotic refueler due to a 6000+ m/s flyby with no hopes of intercept.(No screens of that, it hurts too much ;.;) Ill post some more when I get to each place.

735F2211B8E14F2F1F067BD7ACBAA00E3EEECC0E

F6B5C0D83E6FC0A56F7D58066B787387C52C23C0

0D6A35E5D0CA6B902AA59594A3E6AD0D569FD223

879492DD70CE8392A0D87031909E94D6E7D9E97D

5CA9F3DCE07215ADC68B825BABCAC2EF9BF8A396

- - - Updated - - -

Puuurty....

7018571D1D5A6D8B5E41D90C36B5CFA100457B26

569AF6C5643D9372DD2F32CF1A73E2D903DA5A4F

79C02A5B1E99B61E1813178DD852D667DFFF211E

A5E8D92AF22CC479A19365D65EE74915535E16E4

Finally got all I needed to launch my reusable interplanetary ship. It has a lab, 2 hitchhikers (I don't like cramped kerbals), a cupola and a cockpit; 5.000 dV and about 1.000 days of TAC life support, all powered with 2 nukes. Took it for a little excursion just outside Kerbins SOI.

Some time ago, I was planning to finish my career mode game with a Jool-5. Like most of my ambitious plans, I got bored with it before I had a good enough ship ready. Yet because I had some contracts for Laythe, Vall, Tylo, and Pol, I decided to launch the half-finished ship.

jool_0.jpeg

It was a brute-force ship with 200 parts, weighting 1168.81 tonnes, and with a price tag of 545408 funds. For some reason, I put the crew into hitchhikers and had the probe core control the ship. Jeb was only allowed into the command pod just before the first landing.

The boosters lasted almost all the way to orbit, allowing the core stage to help with the first 750 m/s of the transfer burn. I aimed at Tylo first, as I wanted to get rid of the Tylo descent stage, and because aerobraking with almost fully fueled ships can sometimes be dangerous with DRE.

jool_1.jpeg

jool_2.jpeg

The descent stage was essentially a Skipper with an orange tank in a more convenient form.

jool_3.jpeg

Tylo was much easier with a high-TWR lander than with my previous nuclear landers.

jool_4.jpeg

After losing a lot of mass at Tylo, I felt that aerobraking at Laythe should be safe enough.

jool_5.jpeg

jool_6.jpeg

As I had only 1855 m/s of delta-v left after returning from Vall, I decided to leave Pol for the next ship, and head back to Kerbin.

jool_7.jpeg

jool_8.jpeg

jool_9.jpeg

I overshot KSC when I returned. The rest of the ship was left in an almost reasonable orbit around Kerbin.

I killed a kerbal and I feel terrible about it.

Not that I've never killed anyone before. I've done that way too many times. But in the past it's always been the result of an active screwup on my part: poor vehicle design, poor piloting, stupid decisions like trying to land in the Munar Highlands at night in a lander with no lights.... (And of course bugs and Krakens, but I don't really count those as ME killing a kerbal.)

But this time I killed someone through utter neglect and absentmindedness. I was so busy with other things (multiple survey missions, mostly) that I completely forgot I had a ship coming back to Kerbin on a reentry trajectory. Continued to forget about it ... while I cleaned up my save folder of old quicksaves I didn't need....

Eventually I poked my nose into the Astronaut Complex...and noticed the Missing tab had a (1) on it. WHUT?? Poor guy was KIA during reentry when his ship hit the magic altitude at which it got deleted. And of course I had no quicksaves from the time prior to his fiery demise.

TL;DR version: "Because I tend to juggle a bunch of missions simultaneously, today I downloaded and installed Kerbal Alarm Clock." (Insert aphorism about barn doors and escaped horses....)

Edited by Srpadget
correct grammar

I'm roleplaying with myself.

Two Kerbal nations (US and Russia) both share the KSC. Each nation gets to launch 3 times before they switch with the other nation, and so on. For the Kerbal analogue of Russia I use the Tantares mod, and US gets to play stock. By now I'm about 25 launches in, and having a blast roleplaying the Apollo and N1 program. The "Americans" have lost 2 astronauts (both crashed into the Mün) and I nearly lost Cosmonaut Jebediah Kermanski in my last mission. I should really get the mod with the other launchpads.

Been messing around with an RSS/RP0 career.... With the Japanese as a major power, and having their own space program. Just got my first satellite (it maps things....) into a highly eccentric polar orbit. Using a mix of FASA, Tantares, SXT, and AIES--I have more, but I forget which off hand.....

Been interesting. (Oh yeah, added Taepodong-- the site for the NK test in April 2009-- as a launch site although I need to find the Japanese name for the site.)

I killed a kerbal and I feel terrible about it.

Not that I've never killed anyone before. I've done that way too many times. But in the past it's always been the result of an active screwup on my part: poor vehicle design, poor piloting, stupid decisions like trying to land in the Munar Highlands at night in a lander with no lights.... (And of course bugs and Krakens, but I don't really count those as ME killing a kerbal.)

But this time I killed someone through utter neglect and absentmindedness. I was so busy with other things (multiple survey missions, mostly) that I completely forgot I had a ship coming back to Kerbin on a reentry trajectory. Continued to forget about it ... while I cleaned up my save folder of old quicksaves I didn't need....

Eventually I poked my nose into the Astronaut Complex...and noticed the Missing tab had a (1) on it. WHUT?? Poor guy was KIA during reentry when his ship hit the magic altitude at which it got deleted. And of course I had no quicksaves from the time prior to his fiery demise.

TL;DR version: "Because I tend to juggle a bunch of missions simultaneously, today I downloaded and installed Kerbal Alarm Clock." (Insert aphorism about barn doors and escaped horses....)

I know that feel. Recentely, I've lost my first two Kerbals to a Shuttle Orbiter test flight. RIP Lodzor and Theozon. :(

Also,

-snip-

Not that I've never killed anyone before. I've done that way too many times.

-snip-

Are you... a Serial Killer?

Today I built a plane that can cruise at mach 4 and 25-30km to do temperature scans on the other side of Kerbin and return. (Using FAR).

I also used the mission to attempt my first suborbital flight, but the single LV909 didn't have enough thrust to get me past 52km. Ended up being slower than cruising at mach 4. On the plus side, this is the first mission where I didn't lose control at high speed/ altitude.

I accepted a load more münar/minmar temperature scan/ Sat contracts, and my first Kerbin space station contract. This makes me nervous, because I'll need to learn a whole bunch of stuff about docking, and life support for that many Kerbals is easily screwed up...

Finished the assets for our EVA TVs! Haven't played Multiplayer yet, but having a cinema to flip channels is nice.

A bit more tweaking and the release will be soon.

id01eiB.png

Edited by ximrm