What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

What I did yesterday (night):

FInally didn't wimp out with Mechjeb on Career Mode (since I couldn't get Rendezvous Autopilot, yet), and used the Maneuver Planner to, step-by-step, work out the maneuvers to rescue the orbiting Kerbal, with my Rescue LFO Spaceplane... Also I sent a station to Duna, and will TRY to send a rocket to retrieve an Asteroid... which I hopefully won't mess that up.

Finally! My space centre is now fully upgraded, and I can do some real exploring. I've gotten around to testing and launching my deep space vehicle, the Explorator V! This is the core spacecraft in high Kerbin orbit, and I've got four propellant tanks on the way to dock with it. Once that's done, I'm planning an Asteroid>Ike>Duna shakedown cruise before I risk sending it to the edge of the Kerbol system.

vqEMsdz.png

that frontview of the lander is just stunning, now I feel like updating mine too.. BTW where did you fit the second Kerbal? And how much time did you spend on that hatch not being blocked by surrounding parts? Oh and that thing sticking out in the back is obviously the rover..close-up? did you manage to fit it in the quarter cube just like the original?

W

Just came back to the game after a hiatus and got my Beta state set up with the mods I wanted to play with this time. Then I started a new Career mode.

The only upgrade done so far has been the the astronaut complex, allowing Kerbals to go EVA. Got a mission to Rescue Merely from orbit. In my last game Merely was my chief KAS orbital construction engineer, and I figured fourth in line (behind the big 3) to run the whole show. Naturally I went to rescue the little guy.

Rescue I (the ship launched) was a reconfigured Longshot (the same ship which had made the first orbit two launches prior) with Jeb on the stick. Launch and circulation were no problem. Without patched conics or maneuver nodes I didn't even know if I'd make it. I managed to get the orbit almost right and tried one last burn to correct - and ran out of fuel. The ship passed within 2.7 km of Merely - out of range to gain control and get my kerbal headed to safety.

Knowing time was at a premium (because Merely had no Snacks left). Jeb abandoned ship and launched himself towards Merely.

Once in range they got themselves both turned around and back to Rescue one. They used up the last of their monoprop pushing the ship into a aerobraking orbit and then got into their pods for the flight back. Two things were noticeably different about Merely this time around. The game had decided that Merely was a Pilot, and not the Engineer I'd imagined back in the .25 save mentioned before, and Texture Replacer had decided that this time around, Merely was female.

Upon safely landing in the water and getting recovered, Merely has been tasked with test-piloting our atmospheric flight vessels for the moment, and is the first recruit of the new program.

Few more missions and upgrades later. Bob is in orbit around Mun - the First Kerbal to achieve such an honor (and without SAS). Jeb is en-route to Minmus to stake a similar honor. Bill is trying to work out how to make a plane that flies at all, having forgotten, and Merely is eager for her contracted flight to explore the pyramids.

I got a new shipment of jumbo truss girders from Netherdyne (I designed some new structural parts to enable making huge generation ships) so I took them for a test flight. Also started a new city on minmus (it's not done quite yet)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The Cruiser landing gear (seen in the base builder screenshots) is a new landing gear piece designed to allow placement of humongous bases on a planetary surface without the fear of the base clipping into the ground (cause i'm sick and tired of the base kraken, which consumed Ares city 1.0). Now all parts are at least 6-8 meters off the ground and only the cruiser legs will contact the ground. With about 3 meters worth of suspension there should be no problem with clipping glitches.

I've been working on my first challenge. Nothing to unveal yet, but I found it funny in my first tests. I'm affraid this challenge will create a new crafting thread.. uh!

So there was this small incident with an exploding engine.

No Kerbal casualties, fortunately.

OMB Demolition have been extremely prompt in arriving to examine their equipment and are saying something about an owners manual.

Ours is supporting the coffee table.

10354671_10205344073015626_6710725105789048707_n.jpg?oh=b2f9546e54eedb41e0838c74fca154d2&oe=5572F3A0&__gda__=1433685430_9801107a1e5c39a34d174bf15bd058a3

11070220_10205344073055627_1386273933271854325_n.jpg?oh=249612f5b885aa5e6be77fb4c0837297&oe=557D694C&__gda__=1435167929_1ed4292bb9a7c473972c9f6d20a5c6b3

that frontview of the lander is just stunning, now I feel like updating mine too.. BTW where did you fit the second Kerbal? And how much time did you spend on that hatch not being blocked by surrounding parts? Oh and that thing sticking out in the back is obviously the rover..close-up? did you manage to fit it in the quarter cube just like the original?

W

1. Two MK1 command pods clippy.

2. About 10 seconds

3. Yes, but part of it is clipped inside the lander and needs physwarp to fall out

screenshot23423_zpsd37kcf4f.png

Landed another base on minmus using my re-usable base landing system.

Works on Minmus and the Mun (TWR makes it trickier there, burn early).

My base are on wheels because my first contract required it (19 spots on wheel on minmus). I decided to go modular and a bit reusable. This means you can assemble sections on the ground. I've made differents sections with (side) cupolas, labs... depending on contract requirements.

All you pay for is the launcher(s) and the base(s) (i don't SSTO my modules up to LKO). A reusable transfer stage takes the base from LKO to target orbit (opt. refills the tugs) and returns empty to LKO. The tug system orbiting the target takes the base down and goes back up.

Javascript is disabled. View full album