What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

- Well I can imagine you might find some time for ksp since the gta5 download is so extremly slow.

Many people report they spend more than 5 days downloading the 60GB installation file.

Yeah, 60 gigs is pretty big, but I started the download last night, and it finished this morning :D

Got a chance to play for a few minutes before work, and so far am pretty impressed.

First-person view isn't exactly what I imagined, and I'll have to do some fiddling to (hopefully) get my steering wheel to work with it, but overall I'm pleased :)

With the transfer window to Eve fast approaching, I decided to start working on the Wayfarer Program. Primary objectives are to land a rover on Eve, put kerbonauts on Eve orbit EVA to conduct experiments. Secondary (optional) objective is to land on Gilly. To achieve this, there will be an orbital assembly of the Wayfarer. Components include a tri(or quad)-NERVA engine unit, supply module, onboard science lab, crew quarters, manned command pod and the rover+skycrane assembly. This might take a lot of planning. After all, it's my first time to do this kind of mission :D Should this mission be a success, I'll use the same schematics for Duna.

Took the NASA quad engine cluster up to the target speed and altitude, ran the test (with an actual, albeit brief, firing - no "testing" an engine with no fuel for me!).

17150054405_80a217bafb_o.png

Then nailed the landing on the first try, really didn't think I could do that :D

Then KSP broke my save :( I have backups, but will probably have to redo that flight and landing.

I have started an exercise in frustration. A potentially good follow-on ssto still giving me problems as well as it's redesigned successor. It's a good thing Kerbals don't have a lot of hair it would be gone by now.

A test angelfire recovers an ancient return vehicle forgotten about.

kETtytr.png

aoyFMDt.jpg

Nh0lJIX.jpg

The angelfire successor being built and put through the paces. (Gotta figure out why roll inputs are causing excessive nose up and down problems.) Kinda thinking the lifting surfaces may be stalling in the roll dragging the nose up or down. Probably acting like those old nerf boomerangs we had as kids due to a similar shape, but I'll leave the conjecture to competent aerodynamic peeps.

XW5kyka.png

Edited by sumrex

I've decided that despite bearing the lag coming from 600+ parts, that my Kerbinside fuel refinery (for the orbital shipyard that I have in orbit of Kerbin) is too slow combined with the >1% karbonite concentration to make the lag worth it, so, I made this fuel depot with orbital logistics on it.

Which is kind of cheaty, I know. I did consider building a heavylifter to deliver fuel up to the orbital shipyard and while getting over 1k tons up there isn't the hard part, I've done lots of heavy lifters, the hard part will be getting the RCS control balanced and strong enough to control the mass. I just decided to go and change the design of that fuel refinery first anyway.

screenshot106_zps64xywpeu.png

I survived interstellar space (with lots of Krackens and bugs!) and figured out how to finely course correct, and thanks to some wonderful forum posts able to gravity assist to just the right place and...

orb1.jpg

... I'm finally there. Orbiting Kaiser, with craft and station moduals undocked and realigned for rotational gravity in a station mode. The craft will "fold" back up if/when I'm next doing some aero breaking. But for now the Kerbals can relax and plan a visit to a moon or two and pick up some spare parts from the much smaller B craft. The entire thing is in a really elliptical orbit, so I can send shuttles off gravity assisted flybys of the moons and hopefully put them in the right place easily. Once finished it can then use the same trick to fly out to another planet. In a circular orbit it would use a lot more DV to do that. But it's all new to me. :P

My Wayfarer Mk1 Space Vehicle has just been successfully assembled in orbit.

ZegxKqO.png

At least 3 more launches are expected. One would be a maintenance/reinforcement mission, second would be a systems testing mission. The 3rd flight to the Wayfarer would bring the final roster of kerbonauts to board the ship to Duna and back.

Transfer to Jool is also fast approaching. My engineers are hard at work in developing a multi-probe delivery system. Design would be highly similar to the Wayfarer.

I completed my Minmas Campfire outpost on the Lesser Flats:

5774892899E8AC8D4D039B5FABDB0A0980606B68

That was two base building contracts. I also completed a few others fattening my current budget to about 1.3 million roots which I'm hoping is just enough for a Constellation style Duna mission (window in 12 kerbin days).

To do this weekend: Design lander Return Vehical

Try to figure out what my Snacks budget will be for the mission (planned interplanetary ship has 1150 snacks capacity)

Design 5 kerbal duna outpost (contract - mission will only involve the big 3)

Design Duna Buggies

Figure out how to pack all of the above into 3-4 launches, under budget, and with enough snacks (the mod) for the whole trip.

*Insert Russian accent*

Some people say that their rockets/spaceplanes suffer from 'spontaneous disassembly' maybe, maybe..

I have yet to see rocket which burned the air, without moving.

I%20have%20no%20idea_zpsonk1ypll.jpg

Also...

2015-04-16_00001_zps6a64ipro.jpg

Over engineered?

Edited by TimePeriod

Well, I didn't do it *today*, but I couldn't find the original thread that gave me the idea. Someone had posted a kerbal walking around with a parachute on his back that he had grabbed with KAS. Someone asked if the parachute would work, everyone said no it wouldn't, or that the parachute would tear off his back during reentry, or that it would snap off or you couldn't deploy it...so you should probably see where this is going.....

C65357841A30F1D8CD44F3B39B0FC96E1EE5A521

06D1DC305D334B8D465A6F727FDB976906A7BA5F

DC81BB4EFF1C3FAC7B2423B838E2017B9CA6E9A4

Right clicked the chute and selected deploy....but I don't' want to spoil the ending ;)

Also tested out a little surface probe I built recently, although thanks to using remote tech it's deployment to Duna didn't go exactly as planned...

67858FC088214F64F72F5296E42212AB3F6AB5B5

So instead I sent a manned....keralled?...mission, along with a little crawler rover....

1E4240C48CEBCDAB08822FA401A04EBBA3536394

...and planted a flag. Glory to Arstotzka!

907AF5D356E87B36B6EB506022213A54B24AE813

Built my first atmospheric plane that works fairly well in FAR.

CCxCTmmVAAAoFmd.png

It's ugly, but has decent range and I can usually land it on the second or third try. This afternoon it's taken me to all of the monoliths on Kerbin, and I'll probably try for a couple other anomalies while waiting for trans-munar missions.