What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Sir, maybe there's a way.

Send a rescue ship with a Grabbing Unit. You'll probably need wheels too.

Once the claw is attached to the wreck, you'll be able to transfer the tourists to your rescue ship : click a crew hatch on the crashed ship, a window will pop up, there you can transfer a passenger to another module.

Works as if the two ships were docked.

I Hope you already unlocked the grabbing unit in your research tree. :)

I was thinking along those lines, I didn't know transferring worked like that now, thank you. Umm, they are going to be up there a while... :) But I thought I'd have to fly the grabbed hitchhiker through deadly re-entry, ugh.

Today my KSP took another important step with their orbital science and fuel platform.

The second module was added.

Still no sleeping quarters but they are on the to do list for the next orbital mission, but at least Bobs EVA can now be terminated because the KSS has enough room for him. (Bobs been hanging on to the outside of the KSS after an EVA from his doomed mission, and Bill refused to open the airlock..)

ksp_kss_pt2_zpsxhyqdo2i.jpg

There something very satisfying about watching your station orbit.

Especially when you are constructing it the fun way.

My next docking attempt should be a lot quicker. Each time Im learning.... like this time.. Lights..... Lights would be good. Because of course, your final docking maneuvers always happen when your in planet shadow.

Past few days ive been sending a convoi to Duna, worth about 2 million kerbucks. Only to find out my Minmus station made like a banana and split :(

No Kerbals alive to tell the tale, they havent even shown up MIA. They just vanished with only a docking port floating in space to remind me of things that are no more.

So either i clean up my modlist and start over, or keep playing this mutated beast of a save. Hard career with just about all nodes + buildings unlocked.

Space can be a scary place,

This:

RQSHwvR.jpg

Yesterday, I launched a Munshot. Tried a couple of times to get a landing, failed, shelved it.

Today, I went back to it. Couple of tries got me a decent landing. Not quite enough fuel for a return, so it ended up in Munar orbit.

So I sent a rescue mission, to rescue it. Plenty of DeltaV. So much, in fact, that the boost/transfer stage still had fuel in it after the rendezvous, and was able to push the whole assembly out of Munar orbit, and down most of the way to Kerbin. Dumped the PE down to about 45K, then released the Munshot and boosted back up to a stable orbit.

Then changed to the Munshot and rode it down to a soft landing.

NEXT up is the Minimus lander I sent up last weekend, and didn't have enough fuel to return. Maybe with this system, maybe with another, depending on how much DeltaV I need for a rendezvous.

Oh, and all this was WITHOUT MECHJEB. Even the rendezvous. For me, that's an accomplishment. Still using it when I unlock the rendezvous helper, though, because I'm lazy and rendezvous is hard to eyeball.

And maybe I can redesign the rescue craft. The current lifter goes fine, so I can skimp on a little weight here and there for a little more DeltaV, using the transfer stage for more TWR.

Today I continued unmanned development in my career game. Project Sentinel conducted it's first interplanetary mission. Unfortunately they underestimated Moho!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Work is also in the pipeline developing next-generation manned capability, under Project Origin. Pad and flight-abort tests, and launch system development; that sort of thing.

I sent up a Mun rocket, accidentally slingshotted past the Mun instead of orbiting, adjusted to go to Minmus instead, got to Minmus, orbited at 12x19km, did tons of EVA reports, Landed on the Great Flats, did science, hopped to the Slopes, did science, Hopped to the Midlands, did science, accidentally achieved Kerbin Escape while hopping to the Lowlands (Using up all the fuel in my landing stage in the process), converted that into an aerobraking return to Kerbin, and returned with 1700 m/s of fuel to spare in my return stage. All of these are firsts for me. I think I'm finally starting to get it xD

Unfortunately, I thought I took pictures of the landing itself, but apparently not :(

s6VZxWK.jpg

Put up a basic Munar Space Station, and made two probes to dock with it. One is currently in a 30km polar orbit(not shown), but it has enough fuel to return to the MSS 1 if needed. The other will undock when I need to do science readings at specific altitudes, then return.

I used the one-way RCS nozzles for the first time, I thought they looked better on my probes. I just didn't realize I wouldn't have any forward/back control with them. Docking was fun, I used my LV-909 for slight forward thrust, and was planning on rotating 90 degrees to use an RCS thruster for reverse if needed.

Next up is to get some large fuel tanks attached to the MSS 1, and a manned lander.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Realized when I got there with the second probe, I had messed up the lighting on the station... 3/4 lights in 2 of the radial clusters didn't get adjusted to blue. :*(

Not from today, but I got the sandcastle easter egg after 897 in-game hours!

atMpZ39.png

And then, actually FROM today, I have my first (and pretty much useless) huge group of satellites orbiting Mun. The one with the blue orbit is an older ore-scanning probe, and wasn't launched with the Liaoning probes.

iR2OBd4.png

Landed probe on Eve

Flyby of Ike then landing outpost on Duna

Satellite around Kerbin and Minmus

Landed rover on Mün to do seismic surveys except two of the ones needed are at the top of the crater and I can't get to them :(

I made a spaceplane capable of flying by any body but Moho:

screenshot155.png

In testing I tried burning through all the LF remaining to make sure the LV-Ns didn't go boom, it survived but was pretty warm afterwards:

screenshot158.png

I should take it to Laythe, maybe replace the crew cabin and docking port with a bay and rover.

I was inspired by someone's mini-shuttle I saw on here. I almost always use a boring pod design to get Kerbals to orbit and back cause it's so simple. But I've done that a lot so I borrowed this guy's idea to build a smallish Mk2 mini-shuttle that rides as the last stage on a vertical rocket, the "Orbiter Concept." It's a boring name but now that it's mission capable it will get a name. After a few test runs and tweaks, I was able to manually fly it to orbit cause MJ is confused by the design. I don't pitch over until about 15km altitude; the thinner air and 12 fins help prevent me from doing an "uncontrollable pitch super endo." :) Then I was able to dock to my baby KSS station and switch out the crew. The first reentry went well but I was long but still able to ditch with the crew surviving. So I reloaded and landed short but landed safely in the hilly grasslands just west of KSC.

(sorry I tried for like 15 minutes to embed this as an album but don't know how)

r7WRqn3m.jpg

in the VAB

JDT4nn8m.jpg

don't pitch until 15km

D4TgogWm.jpg

circularize

5LQo7Nkm.jpg

docked for crew transfer

WDspU5om.jpg

AIRBRAKES make it possible

lToGsJUm.jpg

any landing you can swim away from...

Bkt7RDSm.jpg

...or jog away from

Found why I love KIS as much, mission was to recover the large MK2 fuel tank from surface of Minmus and land on Kerbin.

0mxrSeg.png

Sent an enginer to the spot to check things out, found I could atatch it on top of the lander, took it to orbit.

Had an old probe from an previous mission, refueled it and sent it up, then move the tank to probe, land the lander and sent the probe towards Kerbin.

Not sure if I can land it powered, my TWR is good enough after burned some fuel however the lifting body and high center of gravity might give problems so I probably have to put an parachute on it in LKO before landing.