What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Mucked about in Sandbox making a survey plane with all the bells & whistles. Scanner in the hold and a mix of simple jets & turbofans as powerplant. The idea was to get quickly to a likely looking prospect, make a high altitude overview and then shutdown the turbofans and make several slow passes at low altitude to get detail. There are pods on the wings which can be deployed and parachuted down as markers if anything interesting appears.

CrOGzmSh.png

Unfortunately, it turns out that the scanner has the same resolution irrespective of altitude, so I have been wasting my time :(

It does make an excellent radar bomb sight though. Take that!

pVE5oa7h.png

As a bit of an antidote, I bodged together a simple semi-lookalike Gloster Meteor. With the jets turned down to more Whittle-like thrust it is great fun to fly, even with the Autostab. turned off!

Nz0SezHh.png

Mucked about in Sandbox making a survey plane with all the bells & whistles. Scanner in the hold and a mix of simple jets & turbofans as powerplant. The idea was to get quickly to a likely looking prospect, make a high altitude overview and then shutdown the turbofans and make several slow passes at low altitude to get detail. There are pods on the wings which can be deployed and parachuted down as markers if anything interesting appears.

http://i.imgur.com/CrOGzmSh.png

Unfortunately, it turns out that the scanner has the same resolution irrespective of altitude, so I have been wasting my time :(

It does make an excellent radar bomb sight though. Take that!

http://i.imgur.com/pVE5oa7h.png

As a bit of an antidote, I bodged together a simple semi-lookalike Gloster Meteor. With the jets turned down to more Whittle-like thrust it is great fun to fly, even with the Autostab. turned off!

http://i.imgur.com/Nz0SezHh.png

I have to ask.... are you running 1.0.2 and if you are... what mod did you use for the wings for the Meteor analogue? That thing is smexy! :P

Ran into the problem of drag. I built a lifter massing almost exactly 122.5t that lifts a 17.5t test payload to a 100km circular orbit. But, as the test payload was so much more streamlined and aerodynamic than my actual 17.5t payload... I had to burn from the payload's tank. But first:

sziFFd.png

ph8N0x.png

bbQFI3.png

Natatrice docked the Fueler to Stopover Station and refilled its tank. I also have a pair of empty landers in LKO, one for Mun and one for Minmus, so I'm deciding whether or not to dock them to the station before sending them on their way. If they're going out without docking, Natatrice will return first, otherwise she'll wait to refill their monopropellant tanks.

tpwAKO.png

dfx83P.png

The test payload consists of an X200-32, with 90% liquid fuel and 100% oxidiser, an Okto, some batteries, and an AIS. This adds up to 17.5t. I guess that from the low remaining fuel and how my later, less-aerodynamic launch went, it's probably better dealing with smaller loads than the test payload. But if I ever need to put up most of an X200-32, I've got a lifter for it now.

bcQUFX.png

xPFJNF.png

The launch is straightforward. Starting with a little tilt eastwards, the seven Reliants and six Hammers fire. The Hammers run out and drop, and a few thousand metres later, so do the drop tanks. The central Reliant feeds from the radial tanks, too, and when those fall, the four outer Swivels fire. This burns off two of the control fins, but that's fine, as we have the gimballing of the Swivels. The core feeds the asparagused Swivels, and when it drops the central Swivel fires, then the radial Swivels drop in pairs.

CdFGwk.png

Unfortunately, the above FerrySix ship can't say the same of success. Despite massing the same, its vastly less aerodynamic shape and other drag-increasing qualities meant that it needed to burn with its Terriers to get orbit. Oh well. It needs to pick up its tourists from Stopover anyway, so I guess I'll just refuel it there. Even if it was inefficient, it'd be less efficient now to send up the lighter, lower capacity, more streamlined FerryFour now that FerrySix is in orbit. Once I have considerably more money, perhaps I'll look into updating things up there. That might be after a Launchpad upgrade, though...

Edited by Concentric

Got a rover on my Duna colony. Got 8 kerbals "My whole Colony population (Including Jeb, Bob, and Bill)" went on a drive and it tipped over killing all the kerbals. I rage quit and deleted that save.

Didn't accomplish a lot. I am trying to design a transport method to link up with my individual ore pumps and transfer the goods into orbit about Mun and Minmus. The first munar vtol didn't make it. It had control problems and was lacking fine control for docking. I was able to dock it with the KIS Argo I for a fuel transfer before testing the landing procedure. It is a remote control vehicle so the pilot was transferred to the Argo. A good thing, too. I couldn't keep it under control while killing its horizontal velocity and couldn't coordinate the switch to vertical rockets very well.

A new, better designed one was built at the VAB but I ran out of time today to try it out.

I accepted three contracts:

1. Put a probe in a specified orbit around the Mun

2. Land on the Mun

3. Science data from the Mun

I created a single ship, with a lander and two comm satellites. Single launch to 500km orbit, transferred to Mun orbit, launched one of the satellites to fulfill that contract, launched the other to fill a hole in the comm network, landed, did science and returned back to Kerbin.

All contracts fulfilled.

Main mods used are RemoteTech, FAR, DRE, KWRocketry and a bunch of others.

what mod did you use for the wings for the Meteor analogue?

Hi Fitzwalker,

All stock! The wings are the various panels overlapped. I'm at work at the moment but if you are interested in the craft file I can post one later. It's not very fast but in stock aero it can do aerobatics which would make Frank Whittle's eyes bulge like a Kerbal ;)

As the day before was mainly mod deleting and bug minimizing, yesterday was dedicated to missions.

Managed to land the next mission to Mun with three of four wheels on the rover intact (giving even more thought to the question, if the scientist or the engineer should come down with the pilot). It is a very small and light rover, so it did not pain me much. Drove to three waypoints (landed on one of them!) to finish a contract.

Will have to do another roving mission a bit more to the west on another day.

Launching into orbit wasted lots of fuel, but got a good encounter on my first try - but as mentioned really inefficient, will plan with a larger fuel reserve next time.

The next Minmus mission - and long term stay in space in preparation for the new space station in planning - was sent on its way (waited in LKO for Minmus to line up for minimal plane change) and will arrive in about 11 days.

A new pilot was hired (had only three of them) for good money and sent on a training flight - paid for with a tourist contract who blindly stepped into the capsule with my rookie, muhahaha! She is taking them on a tour around Kerbin's moons which also should make her a two-star pilot.

The Lab Ship Expedition has left Kerbin's SOI and will not come back for the next 110-something days - they have lots of data to munch and were already able to deliver 50 science when they crossed into Kerbol orbit after about 14 days since launch.

Explore Ike popped up! (Let us mourn in silence for a minute for the Explore Minmus contract that never saw this world/save ...)

Just in time so to speak, a probe will encounter Duna soonish - AntennaRange will deny me anything useful though.

Working on getting enough science for the orbital survey scanner - finally a good reason to finish the three orbital satellite contracts for Kerbin's three bodies.

I am Pushing my newest V.A.L.K.Y.R.I.E generation SSTO`s to show off:

suay5RW.png

The upper is V.A.L.K.Y.R.I.E 6424 EES (Emergency escape system)(Startweight 315tons)

Two Twinboars and 20 Turboramjets do the Job here, 50+tons to 100x100 LKO, enhanced RCS

The lower is V.A.L.K.Y.R.I.E 6464 EES (Startweight 375tons, lifts off runway)

Two Twinboars and errr... 28 Turboramjets kick this Spaceplane to 150x150 LKO, with 75+tons Payload,

and there is lots of dv left, have to make a real benchmarktest with it, crazy.

CPOsEyc.png

rGjaJck.png

Yes ahhh... tape some Twinboars to your SSTO, and all is gonna go... well :rolleyes:.

Edited by Mikki
Weight to 315tons...:)

Hi Fitzwalker,

All stock! The wings are the various panels overlapped. I'm at work at the moment but if you are interested in the craft file I can post one later. It's not very fast but in stock aero it can do aerobatics which would make Frank Whittle's eyes bulge like a Kerbal ;)

Would love to get my hands on that puppy! It'll make a nice follow uo to the F4F and B25/A26 that I've been messing withvin my career. Thank you! :)

Nothing fancy ;

- Reached minmus for the first time, and made it back (Tourist oblige).

- Recovered someone on Mun surface.

- Attempted with a failure to recover someoen in orbit of Kerbin.... (reached 3000 m between each other, but that was it.)

Linielle bailed on her science mission to Jool after filling her helmet from all the intermittent spinning during escape boosts. Oh well. I'll use my tried-and-trusted grabber vehicle to bring the expensive ion and instruments back to the ground safely and retry with a little better thought-out vehicle.

In the meantime, I launched and positioned the Minmus L2-like depot station precisely, and parked 2 full cislunar tankers in LKO, which I'll send there once empty. The refinery shuttle for Minmus is on its way to the mining rig, but I really really had to go get some sleep before it could get there. Pictures tomorrow.

Tried finding a less-draggy Turbojet/Rocket combo for a transporter spaceplane. Wound up going with an oldie but goodie - a couple of rings of 24-77s. Used said configuration to deliver a six tonne probe to orbit; can't say the mission was successful because I wound up burning all the plane's fuel and some of the payload's fuel to get into orbit. Didn't have time for much else last night.

Worked on an inline drill design, with integrated storage. It's using stock art assets for the drill itself, and the black tank surface texture. But by functioning as one part, you can have a single drill and not worry about asymmetrical mass.

KSP%202015-05-28%2011-40-53-28.jpg

KSP%202015-05-28%2011-44-12-29.jpg

I've just about finalized the hull design for my new mothership, which I shall dub "Kidonia" in honor of the ongoing and awesome anime "Knights of Sidonia":

http://i.imgur.com/VnDSZwem.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/XVzLTD6m.png

http://i.imgur.com/MbQ5zdRl.jpg

These images are from a "test launch" in Sandbox Mode using HyperEdit, to make sure the structure is sound, the docking ports work, etc. There will of course be a few changes before I launch it "for real", including changing the arrangement of solar panels.

Sweet%20Jesus_zps5hvl1l2i.gif

Forgot to take screenshots, but today I aborted my first manned mission to Duna in this career save after catastrophic unplanned disassembly in deep space. I had built a multipart ship with a nuclear drive and return section, a space station core, a lander, and a rover. I got a Duna intercept but was running low on fuel so I decided to send an automated refueling ship to ensure I had enough fuel for circularization after aerocapture and a return voyage to Kerbin. The refueling ship got into range of my interplanetary ship and I though "great, I'll just quick save and that way if I break something docking I can try again." I hit the f5 key and a split second later I watch in horror as explosions rip through my Duna ship. Part clipping in the service bay of the space station module caused the whole center of the ship to disassemble. I piled all the remaining crew into the drive section of the craft and time warped, hoping I could leave them in Duna orbit to rescue later, only to find that the disassembly had caused that chunk of the craft to miss its intercept with Duna.Tried to make a return to Kerbin. No such luck, ran out of fuel, so now the crew is stranded in Kerbol orbit awaiting a rescue mission.

first ever flyby of the mun on the way to minmus to check off two items on a tourist contract in one flight. Manouever node controls and camera controls make it quite difficult but it was fun.

I also had my first failure to decouple - dragging my transfer stage around minmus basically made it impossible to get back home, so a rescue is needed.

I practiced landing probes! Got a little extra science, conclusively irritated my engineering staff, and the experience of landing probes all over Kerbin's biomes should be beneficial when the Eve probe I launched earlier arrives.

Lol

YvxZOBz.jpg

Wait. How are they testing jet engines when I don't use the SPH for anything?

qVnNQKH.jpg

I spent several hours last night trying to make a space plane SSTO. It sure has gotten harder with 1.0 aero! I think my current design, based on models which worked fine in 0.90, is too draggy for the current game, because I can't seem to get above about 1100 m/s at 22km, which is about as high as I seem to be able to go at all now on air. My hat is off to all those who have succeeded.