What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

My Bop probe successfully detached from the Jool mothership, however I then realised it does not have any way of generating electricity. No panels, no RTGs, no batteries...it turns out I forgot to add them:P. Well, the electricity in its probe core was enough to land in 2 nearby sites, after which I tried to get to orbit, so that even without electricity it would function as a permanent satellite, but the electricity went out right while I started the circularisation burn (turns out the 47-8S doesn't generate electricity), so it kept on burning until it escaped, and 1 in-game day later it was here:

xAGq7rg.png

nXegu5C.png

This was near the "surface" of Jool, after experiencing 25g of acceleration during atmospheric entry at 9km/s. At least it got some data from Jool's atmosphere, so it wasn't a complete failure...

I did my first Duna landing in 1.0 today. After a failed areo capture. Have a look:

HbfoCb4h.jpg

But I'm playing with quicksaves, because after all it's a game to me and I don't want to be over scientific or overdoing it at all... (I know. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing :D )

And here's the lander. Pretty big, many chutes, got down great, only a bit of burning at the end needed to get down safe.

MHszHiUh.jpg

I really hope the LV-909s are powerful enough to bring me back into orbit...

- - - Updated - - -

Today I completed my space station

http://i.imgur.com/YBuJXGS.png

Looks great!

I build a Space Shuttle STS style. I had to replace the SRBs with Liquid fueled boosters and it also needed some wings with control surfaces on the external tank, but it is close enough to the real thing for me.

3dz3ey1.png

mxxwxKj.png

Like the real shuttle this one is horrible at aerodynamic flight so i didn't make it to the runway.

U8f3SV4.png

Landed on Duna 2-3 days ago with a rover that could refuel itself and use rockets to produce movement instead of electrical wheels, plane wheels are far sturdier as well so all and all it was a very successful trip !

Posing for the group shot at the last Biome :

Em8SGG1.png

And the final flag :

Gsu1y5C.png

Now I am assembling a return craft to bring them home with all the science !

Landed on Duna 2-3 days ago with a rover that could refuel itself and use rockets to produce movement instead of electrical wheels, plane wheels are far sturdier as well so all and all it was a very successful trip !

Posing for the group shot at the last Biome :

http://i.imgur.com/Em8SGG1.png

And the final flag :

http://i.imgur.com/Gsu1y5C.png

Now I am assembling a return craft to bring them home with all the science !

They blinded me with SCIENCE! :P

Sorry! I couldn't resist......

In preparation for the upcoming 4 year journey to Jool to make some munney, I put all my fuel base colonists into cryogenic chambers and froze them. However, my orbital station around Kerbin doesn't have a cryo chamber, so it was necessary to retrieve them (or have them consume 4 years of life support while doing nothing). It was the first time I've actually sent up my SSTO crew shuttle to that particular station.

PXokJT5.png

Incidentally, I then completed the four year journey to Jool, hit a fly-by of tylo which I used to slingshot me to laythe for another fly-by contract, and finally set course for Vall where I'll be landing. After executing the burn for Vall intercept, I realized I had no solar panels on the lander.

After fifteen minutes of panic, I realized I installed two RTG's on the bottom instead.

I was very surprised when I built this just for fun and the thing ended up flying.

906DCD1BA7785F7167191A4DEBD9030836128681

F595D13035324FE502C96978B88608048D969E97

Oh, and I also made THIS with the help of a Kerbal animation mod that a guy on reddit is making.

Edited by Xacktar

Almost finished my space station, brought both the lab and crew module up in one launch. Only the power supply is still missing, will wait for 27 science points to get the Gigantors first though.

Had to launch two times (just quickloaded actually) because I forgot the monoprop on my little construction/docking helper drone ... :P

After that the crew will fly up and the supplies will be stowed as well as the greenhouses activated.

(And screenshots will finally be uploaded at last so Kerbol help me ...)

Mused about my survey plane design to extend its range. Confirmed for myself that the stock plane tanks hold less fuel than the rocket tanks - even before replacing the oxidizer with liquid fuel. Time to finally replace the stock fuels with something else (LOX, LH, kerosene) it seems?

Refitted my apollo-esque/con rover Mun rocket a bit, launched her into LKO and sent three junior officers on their way to complete a survey contract on the moon's southern hemisphere - was my last task for the day, late enough again as always.

After making an SSTO that can teach orbit in 5 minutes (it is obviously a waste of Delta -V, but DAMN is it easy to fly), and failing spectacularily to change it into a Nerv SSTO, I'm currently circumnavigating Kerbin to test my MK.3 jet.Good lord, it is boring as all hell. And I have no idea what is causing it to slip on it's yaw as time passes, but since the KCS is at the equator, it worries me a bit.

Tried to intercept an asteroid for the first time. Used the same lander I normally use for Minmus return trips. Failed miserably by running out of fuel at 20% of my burn(those things are FAST!).

So two nights ago when I thought I'd lost Diissa and Berris forever, it turned out KSP had frozen up while their plane was in the process of exploding; I remembered this happening but was angry enough at the time not to think anything of it. Firing up KSP last night I discovered they were alive and their plane was intact...and still coming in for re-entry. The second attempt at landing the Raven 7 went more smoothly, though it still had sucky pitch authority and I will be redesigning its planform before I launch it again. So, I still have no casualties in my current career game, thank goodness.

Meantime, I was able to dock the Condor 7 to the New Horizons space station at last and swap out its passengers; Jeb and Bill will be bringing home the three Raven passengers tonight, while the four original Condor passengers will be headed for various destinations from New Horizons. I'm a bit concerned about the Condor's ability to land; it should be able to do so without issue, but that plane is kinda low on gas...I certainly hope I don't have to try another dead-stick landing...

Bill also relocated one of New Horizon's solar panels during an EVA; I should now be able to access its core and re-label it for what it is - a space station.

I should now be able to access its core and re-label it for what it is - a space station.

You know you can do that from the Tracking Station, right? :D Just open the info tab and click the name. Works on debris and asteroids too.

I learned that if you are building a shuttle in the VAB and decide to launch it (before angling the thrusters) to test its ability to glide... It is best to remember to have the landing gear launch as deployed.

It is also best that if you forget that step to deploy them before attempting to fly the shuttle...

I tested a modular heatshield, that can slow down a heavy craft in an aerobraking maneuver around Jool.

I want it to be constructible in orbit, while all parts need to be launched with a stock launcher and fit inside regular fairings. Doing it the way i tried, proofed to be quite effective. The complete set of shield parts can be delivered to orbit in a single launch, assemblage is easy and it fulfilled its mission with 850 units of Ablator left (from 12.600... ok ok... it was pretty close).

The shield decelerated the craft enough, to establish an elliptic orbit around Jool with no fuel usage at all.

Due to bad balancing of the test craft it entered a little of a em errr totally predicted (say uncontrollable) spin, exposing 2 of the trusses to too much temperature.

This resulted in the loss of 2 shields before they were actually burned up. So, with a decent craft this should work as intended – with Ablator to spare...

For the final version, i plan to dock the trusses to the ship as well, to reduce profile. This test version was actually cheated to orbit.

rEmJI4W.png

iMTqOdP.png

Edited by Frank_G

You know you can do that from the Tracking Station, right? :D Just open the info tab and click the name. Works on debris and asteroids too.

Didn't actually...well, dagnabbit. On the plus side - I got some more experience with KIS...

I was very surprised when I built this just for fun and the thing ended up flying.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/23989316642979533/906DCD1BA7785F7167191A4DEBD9030836128681/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/23989316642979612/F595D13035324FE502C96978B88608048D969E97/

Oh, and I also made THIS with the help of a Kerbal animation mod that a guy on reddit is making.

Can you give a link to that mod?

Tried to install a good working game again. So many mods and so little RAM in 32bits. It is shame there is no proper 64bit version for proper mod selection. A lot of mods don't make the grade and need to be binned. One of these day I get a game that is playable.