What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I wanted to work on my Primitive Orbital Station and maybe do a video recording but KSP now refuses to launch after failing to update on Steam.

I am now rushing to save all my craft files and 1.02 mods, rapidly trying to re-download 1.02 because I didn't keep a backup copy of this version.

I had an intuition to backup the game folder before attempting the update but I ignored it, and thus paid the price.

Today I got sad. I don't know what changed, but a lot of my purely atmospheric planes don't perform very well anymore. I've gotten too used to breaking the sound barrier 15 seconds into a flight, and then pulling 20g's to change direction. I know it wasn't realistic, but damn was it fun. I haven't had much chance to test the rest of the changes in 1.0.3, but I'm really gonna miss those pleasure cruises around Kerbin. RIP my arsenal of goofy-ass planes.

Started out with a newish career (added a few mods) Realized I had 4 missions to rescue kerbals in orbit but not having any 2 seat pods yet I built this... By all rights it shouldn't have worked, yet it did... Minor mishap when de-orbiting I wasn't paying attention when I fired up the engines and clipped one of the pods I was rescuing which broke off one of the chutes, but it still landed safely.

screenshot22_zpswb4catc5.png

Went into sandbox to play around a bit, built this little thing... Ridiculously fun to fly, little hard to land (lack of ability to put wheels forward makes it want to tip when braking) and the second version uses the large stock wheels instead of these (prop was clipping into the ground making the plane bounce).

screenshot28_zpsxasxreic.png

But still as I said, ridiculously fun to fly spent the better part of an hour buzzing the tower and circling it and doing very low altitude barrel rolls and loops. Just wish I had grabbed a better picture of it. It is essentially 2 engines and 2 wings nothing much more to it, using the B9 wings since they can store fuel.

Oh today, not much, put my son to sleep, played this awesome sim. attempting to launch two probes at once with something similar to this with ditto the probes...

4A839858C5ABF5745D89AA83D5471E861C1EB4B4

B59DDC129F6AB581B9A9B5A579476CB00DC24F72

6B518609FE79E8E0BD9AE275AA4D4CCBEAF4C85FSorry one of my better screengrabs

E3DEB89B48480F0556C0695AEDDFB019AA206155

And I just love how the physics in this game works, almost like Ebonics sometimes.

220F62F6EB732BE041C295E2BF52581F8474C5F1

A few of my early attempts at building some WW2 themed planes.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I should point out that I am very new to Kerbal, so I know there are probably better/more efficient ways to build these. But they fly and they fly well so that's good enough for me. :P

The images were originally saves to Facebook, so expect poor quality and small size. :rolleyes:

Not really unique, but I managed to get a Rockomax X200-32 fuel tank up to my small space station in LKO. See how the first stage is still glowing red from the hard work it had to do.

screenshot172.png

Finally docked the tank to ASES-OS1 - now future missions can refuel here on their way to outer space

screenshot174.png

Edited by lodger

Updated to 1.0.3, screwed something with transferring previous mods / savedata and installing a few new ones, crashed the game repeatedly, ended up wiping it out and doing a complete fresh install... without saving my old savedata and craft files. :(

So. Started a brand new 1.0.3 career from scratch!

Proceeded to incinerate one of my first rockets via atmosphere-induced overheating during my ascent.

After some paranoia and further white-knuckled testing, I was able to get through the atmosphere consistently without burning anything up.

Proceeded to realize that the Mk16 and Mk2-R parachutes are much, much more vulnerable to deployment speeds and ripped them off the craft when deploying at my previously-customary height and speed.

So, it's all been a lot of adjustments in how I put things together, but I've gotten up through "Orbit Kerbin" and am starting to prepare for a Munar flyby mission.

Last night I was fiddling around with creating a Whiplash/Aerospike powered Mk2 fuel delivery plane, something I could send up to the New Horizons space station in lieu of launching more fuel cannisters via rocket. One of those slow nights where I had four in-game days to kill before the next thing happened. Anyway, I had the wing set too far forward and had a nose-down gear configuration, which FAR was kicking me in the nuts over. I was about to fix the plane when my 6-year old called me into his room to help him put away a board game since it was his bed time and my 3-year old wasn't helping matters any. I left the game in the SPH, went in there and helped him out. As I came back towards my box I hear this curious clicking and rolling of the mouse wheel...my 3-year old had chosen that moment to experience KSP. I don't know what the hell he did, but aside from borking the plane, I found that I still had all of my money and rep but somehow he'd managed to cancel every last one of my contracts...

It occurred to me this morning to look at my quicksave file; it still had all the contract data, so tonight I'll just overwrite the persistent file with the quicksave and everything should be cool and froody. I think the last thing I was doing that required a quicksave was a final docking approach for the Free Bird 7 to New Horizons, so I'll have to finish docking the plane - no biggie. Pretty sure that was it. Pretty sure it wasn't "I'm 12 kilometers from the Runway, going to crash land the Ballista a dozen times now"...

Plus 1.0.3. I'm about halfway through the tech tree in 1.0.2; if I wasn't as far along I'd consider a new save game, but it's taken me this long to get to where I'm at. Maybe if I can't recover my old save, I'll start over...but I won't be happy......

Finally got my Lathe explorer into Lathe orbit with 100 d/v remaining -> this took 2 Lathe aerobrake runs, 1 tylo gravity assist and a Jool aerobrake. Moral of the story is re-entry heat is real and don't enter Jool so you are orbiting the wrong direction even if you do get an encounter with Lathe leaving Kerbin.

I was running out of ideas to get the last science points from the KSP runways and buildings. So I developed a mobile science lab rover drillers:

do not make fun of this, these rovers are serious science points maker: I made like 700 points just with the first versions, puting them in front of every buildings. Then each experiment were processed by the science lab for extra points, then then rover is recovered for full refund. It just works!

Total science points gathered around the buildings is more than 1200!!

It holds like 6 material study bays, 8 thermometers, 8 gravioli/barometer/seismic devices, 12 gigantor solar panels, 6 drills, and an ore converter to refill if needed!

Drilling also gives your engineer XP! Use a different engineer and different scientists each time to make them gain XP, then you can send them to space for extra points!!!

Thus this is also a training facility for your Kerbals. I love these roverlabs, and I made them travel some place around too with a big rocket because they are rock solid. Unfortunately the drag is so high that you cannot go very far. And because of the jet engines to go faster it breaks the wheels.

So the development has been canceled in favor of another device I will show you later.

seems that I have lost it in last two days. After loosing 3 Kerbals on launch yesterday today I have lost 5 more.

I have launched 3 Kerbals inside Rodan capsule from Tundra Aerospace mod. Those were 0-star pilot and two 0-star engineers who went in orbit with few goals:

1. Test re-usability of a launcher designed specifically for Rodan capsule (inspired by Falcon 9.1)

2. Rescue 2 Kerbals from LKO

3. Practice powered landing back at KSC

Launch and booster separation went flawlessly. But then problems started:

1. booster died because I forgot to pack few batteries on it so I was unable to control it and it is now stuck in LKO

2. Kerbals were rescued successfully but it took quite a long time because of me launching at wrong time

3. Landing was going well, but I haven't checked my dV and I was out of fuel about 100m above the ground. Capsule smashed into the ground and all 5 Kerbals died

Following the rover drillab serie, I invented the drillab plane. Its purpose is to go further then the drillab rover.

It is equipped with a science lab, 6 drills, bunch of science devices, and lods of AIRBRAKES. Bellow are version 5 and 8 (gull wing). There are incredibely stable and awesomely easy to land thanks to the AIRBRAKES. They just slow down to planes to 30m/s in like 10 seconds, then the plane lands like a charm.

jYmAxN2h.png

Wisely placed light spots allow you to see when the wheels are gonna take on.

8Z7ZsIqh.png

Same purpose as drillab rovers but further then the runways.

last version involves boosters to go higher lol

avjLEpTh.png

Edited by scavenger

My POS orbital station (really! It's a low tech p.o.s. :D ) is going to be in mothballs in my 1.0.2 career until Kerbal Inventory System is updated for 1.0.3, so I decided to do a little video tribute over some patriotic sounding music.

Now with attached discussion thread

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126419-POS-1-Primitive-Orbital-Station-El-Cheapo-training-station-for-El-Cheapo-space-programs?p=2036218

Edited by pandoras kitten

last night, i tried hard mode (with quicksave activated).

i tried, i really did.... but poor Jeb, he was burnt, many time, trying to reenter atmosphere...

in the end, i decided to go for moderate for my new career... seems a bit more possible for my total lack of talent.

With 1.0.3 started a new career save... Sent Bob to land on the Mun. Bob didn't have enough fuel to get home. Sent Jeb to rescue Bob. Makes you appreciate things like docking ports and RCS. Both got home and lived happily ever after, although Jeb won't let Bob live it down of course...

Redneck Docking

XtzrgTn.png

Valentina became the first Kerbal in orbit around Kerbin today in my new science mode game, Jeb is still missing after his ship burned up during reentry. By the way, how do I include images?

Upload your image to an image-hosting site like CubeUpload or imgur, then put the URL of the image between [ img][ /img], without the spaces. I think quoting a post with images in will show you, too. Edit: Actually, it just gives the image URL. Replace the "url" in the tags with "img", and put the URL of your uploaded image in the place of the quoted one.

sVZ8FD.png

The Mystery Mission continues...

TCpadq.png

wiN3je.png

It's an over-engineered two-stage Mun lander! Jeb's getting a Mun visit in while SixFerry continues to carry tourists to Minmus.

HZmH8x.png

HjnT2H.png

Lights at the bottom to help with the night-landing. Jeb grabbed a couple of survey crew reports the orbit before landing, then landed at the Alpha site to get an EVA report. There was plenty of fuel left in the descent stage to go land at the Beta site for the surface sample, and he also got pressure and temperature readings and planted a contract flag. As the descent stage would break apart the moment it's staged off, and the ascent stage only barely has a Mun TWR above 1, he took off with the descent stage.

Z40dcL.png

qQ3C70.png

Circularisation and escape didn't use up all of the ascent stage's fuel, either. Jeb came in at 32km periapse for my first experience with 1.0.3 re-entry.

y4ZAQg.png

IK4hCD.png

A little rotation and fuel-movement, and a touch of burning, managed to keep the temperature of the bottom tank down, and the capsule was never in any danger. Batteries looked a little shaky for a bit, but it turned out fine. The parachute deployed automatically at 0.5 pressure, and I raised the full-open altitude to 800m from 500m. This resulted in a safe landing in the ocean. I immediately spent the science and took on some more contracts.

pHnDyh.png

UeUn6k.png

Four tourists, no satellite. When not carrying a satellite up, the PairedShuttles lifter is actually slightly overpowered.

V2h79m.png

dy3Q0w.png

Clean separation of stages, but shock-heating on the way up...

VPUaro.png

wjn50Y.png

... and still having the lifter with over 220 LF left at rendezvous with Stopover. Docking was a little troublesome, and I had to use the monoprop tug when one shuttle ran out of monoprop. Still, delivery of four tourists to Stopover complete, and now they wait for the next parts of their journeys.

d51oX3.png

I deorbited the lifter core as steeply as I could, but it didn't explode until it hit the ground... no re-entry damage I could see. Got some nice atmospheric effects, though.