What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I made my first basic Kelikopter and took her for a spin in the mountains. Found a huge chasm, although I was really looking for the monolith.

Unfortunately trying to land on the mountain my tail rotor cut out from poor air intake. Wasn't able to recover the vessel in time, though Jeb managed to survive. I hope he managed to send a distress call, it's a long walk home otherwise.

5WsAKWd.png

Put a 465 part 1336.1t Eve Mission vehicle into orbit (first time it has made it, changes in 1.04 must of helped), I wanted to test the assertions that Linux FPS is bad. I am running E.V.E, Astronomers 4K, planetshine, Distant Objects Enhancement, stock bug fixes and a few other non visual mods, KSP ver 1.04, Ubuntu 15.04 on a core i5, 8Gb RAM and a GTX 570. With a plane I averaged 40-50FPS, with the Eve behemoth I was getting 12 FPS.

Oh yeah Booyah! I cannot believe it flew!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by selfish_meme

Today I made my first basic Kelikopter and took her for a spin in the mountains. Found a huge chasm, although I was really looking for the monolith.

Unfortunately trying to land on the mountain my tail rotor cut out from poor air intake. Wasn't able to recover the vessel in time, though Jeb managed to survive. I hope he managed to send a distress call, it's a long walk home otherwise.

http://i.imgur.com/5WsAKWd.png

If you call International Rescue I'll send over this hugeass Boeing Vertol V-44 to come pick your pilot and the wreckage up lol. Hovers with a payload of over 30 tons.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

If you call International Rescue I'll send over this hugeass Boeing Vertol V-44 to come pick your pilot and the wreckage up lol. Hovers with a payload of over 30 tons.

F.A.B!

That thing is a beast.

Today I finally managed to put a surface outpost on Minmus on what was 3rd attempt in doing so. Seems that my lifter rocket wasn't that good (2.5m 1st stage 9 Swivel engines + 2.5m 2nd stage with single Poodle engine) so I changed it for a simpler design. I had 2.5m 1st stage with Mainsail engine and 2 S1 SRB-KD25k boosters with 2.5m 2nd stage powered by single Skipper engine.

Also I have prepared a rescue mission for crew that is on Mun in their science lab because I forgot to pack return vehicle on their trip.

I brought home some 1.0.2 moon missions in 1.0.4. The first one was not too bad, all the externally mounted Gigantors and ladders burned off but I was able to use the engines to slow me down enough for an otherwise safe landing.

The second one ended up somewhat less intact. Apparently my Atomic age engines are not losing much accumulated heat and the Heat Manager radiators/heat exchanger are not providing any benefit at all under the new model, so when I accidentally dipped into the atmosphere during my circulation burn, I ended up doing a shallow descent to Kerbin with an engine with an already half-full heat warning bar in the staging area.

I nursed the engine along at a few percent to help atmospheric slowing while the engine was within 5% of exploding for a while, but after the landing gear burned off around 6km I gunned the engine to get me slow enough to open my chutes before hitting the ground.

When I hit, the heat dissipation module that the engine had been mounted on was the only thing that came loose, and I managed to recover all my Kerbals intact.

As that completed some contracts, I designed a new version of the vehicle using the new radiator parts.

I sure hope the Atmoic age engines get updated before my Duna mission arrives, it is using that same design and there is no longer a way for that Lightbulb to dissipate heat without hitting 1000x time warp...

(note: the new design gets parts connected to the stock radiators heating up but not parts attached to the engine, so it looks mostly like the heat changes broke my existing heat-control setup until the engines get an update)

Love those lights Cupcake... anyone able to tell me what mod that is?

I don't think its a mod. In the ship editor right click the lights and adjust the colour sliders until you get the colour you want.

I don't think its a mod. In the ship editor right click the lights and adjust the colour sliders until you get the colour you want.

Really? Never knew you could do that... learn something new every day...

So, my space program was in need of some cash and Gene has found 2 satellite contracts for me to do. After quite a bit of time I returned to small launchers for light probes, one in orbit of Kerbin and other in orbit of Mun

CudnOMT.png

vQ1sG8q.png

3mnCYct.png

im working on building a spaceport. I have a multi-port in the middle with two stacks 180 degrees apart. on the z axis, I will put a gigantic solar array...on the y axis, I will start putting up fuel depots. im still only a few weeks into the game, and after figuring out how to use mechjeb, im actually able to play the game now.

I had a mission to Pol ready to launch in my career mode game. Between mission planning and the actual mission, some mischievous kerbal gods had changed the laws of physics. But because real kerbals don't care about the laws of physics, I decided to launch anyway.

pol_mission_1.jpeg

pol_mission_2.jpeg

pol_mission_3.jpeg

pol_mission_4.jpeg

Because reentry had become more dangerous, I decided to play it safe. The return to Kerbin involved a 1200 m/s insertion burn and three aerobraking passes before the actual reentry. The plane behaved surprisingly well, given that it was designed for 1.0.2, and I had never flown it before.

pol_mission_5.jpeg

pol_mission_6.jpeg

I grinded enough science points to unlock the 2.5 m docking port, so now I'm finally ready to land on Tylo.

I refueled the Aurora I and performed two rescues before doing a manual landing on Kerbin. I know I am not good enough to pick my landing point and I am not good at flying simulators with a keyboard. Still. I made it. Landed on a hill. I thought I was going to crash when I realized I had been looking at the orbital speed not my surface relative speed. Smoothest landing ever. I have no idea what my landing speed was since I was looking at the wrong thing and was flabbergasted I didn't crumple the plane into tiny bits.

ALSO:

I moved my Argo I refueling operation to minmus. The Fuel transport was using half the fuel it picked up from Mun just to get to rendezvous. Should use less launching from minmus.

Edited by BDelacroix

Perhaps using the world "suitable" wasn't the right word to use with Valentina, find something suitable to take to Minmus.

A Concorde(esque) SpaceSpane.

No Val thats not what suitable means...

shsfiEA.png

clT65DL.png

Edited by Good_Cat

I found out something awesome. It may be old news to some but it's the first time it ever worked for me. I streamed KSP from my Linux box to my Macbook, lots of glorious mods on my macbook. I would show you a screenshot but it's on my other computer! I have been trying this out since streaming was first announced for Linux and this is the first time it has ever worked. I don't even need (though I will keep one for emergencies) a working copy on my laptop just steam.

excited.

I sent Bill and Bob to set up a research lab at the pyramids.. Unfortunately on the way there something went horribly wrong with the plane (I blame part clipping) and they had to bail out.

Nice to see the parachutes still work...

screenshot1_zpskmqyjacg.png

Bob somehow went missing, Bill searched the wreckage...

screenshot2_zpsc3bn3ltq.png

Not finding Bob he did find a few of the surviving cargo containers and made himself a shelter for the night... Sleep tight little buddy a rescue mission is in development.

screenshot4_zpsxom9c7bh.png

The Cygnaran Space Administration got a tad overexcited about its contracts to flyby, orbit, collect science from space around, perform visual surveys over, and return from the Mun, and decided to not only do all of them at once but to do it with a polar orbit in order to grab low-space EVA reports for all of the munar biomes.

I apparently grossly overengineered the Raelthorne I craft, because the launch stage not only got Bob Kerman out of Kerbin's atmosphere, it also circularized in LKO, transferred to the Mun, and nearly circularized in munar orbit, to boot, before finally running out of fuel. That Skipper engine is a workhorse.

Once there, the "transfer and munar maneuvers" stage finished circularizing and pulling the craft into a polar munar orbit of around 30 km, upon which Bob commenced with EVA reports and general science shenanigans. After returning to Kerbin's atmosphere, the Raelthorne I had enough fuel left for a very significant deceleration burn, making atmospheric reentry a much more palatable affair. A few minutes later, Bob was safe in the pristine waters of Kerbin, and the CSA had over 700 new sciences to play with (and a great deal more money, the better to upgrade the R&D facility with).

2015-06-25_00001.jpg

The Raelthorne I munar mission, ready for launch.

Sadly, I am horribly negligent when it comes to screenshots during missions. Must get better about that in the futureâ€â€I had to go back and "relaunch" the Raelthorne I just to get that shot.

Next order of business for the Cygnaran Space Administration is to land something (maybe a probe, maybe Bob Kerman) on the surface of the Mun! And maybe perform a few rescue missions to flesh out the CSA's kerbonaut roster.

Built myself a Cargo SSTO, then took a Rover and put her somewhere on Kerbin, some guy is in it. Jebs dead in a mountaineering accident, Valentina is stuck in an old Eve Mission craft in orbit that is being left there as a monument. Decided I had better get Bill and Bob back to base to go return Valentina.

XLFzNNA.pngShe's a pretty plane, first shot is a prior version, changed mainsail to Rapiers, added some struts and stuff.

GLoMTuL.pngKkPP3Iy.pngTwiPmJZ.png