What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Haven't played KSP for a while and saw 1.0.3 came out with a changelog looks promising, decided to spend time playing again. As a major fan of SSTO spaceplane engineer i rebuild a spaceplane from all the retired 1.0.0 spaceplanes, and achieved a result i though is no longer possible. With proper trajectory calculation could've make it back to KSC but instead out of fuel behind the mountains, forcing to use the test payload for emergency but ultimately made it. Was a good day.

m25T3Mz.png

After finishing an orbital Mun Station contract needing 6K liquid fuel and 1.5K monoprop(used ISRU to refill from the Mun), Landed ~2.5km from a stranded Kerbal and their pod near the south pole of the Mun. the pod was inside a crater and on a significant tilt, so I lowered my lander to mining mode(using the large landing gear on the front and a rugedized pair of wheels added to landing struts in the back for propulsion). Ended up needing to use the main engine on low to get over the 30 degree portion of the lip of the crater, then made several slow approach attempts and finally grabbed the Mk2 pod(not sure how may replacement tires I had to use though, and now Bill is trying to revoke my AAA card)

Then when returning to Kerbal I managed to get a 120x75 orbit only to burn up when I tried to de-orbit close to KSC.

Thanks to mining, I had ~2.4km/s left and as I hit ~2.2km/s at periaps, it should be possible to get this thing safely to the ground(originally launched under 1.0.2 where this ship design was quite capable of making safe landings without even losing the side-mounted gigantors)

Second attempt was better, as only the bottom half of the ship was destroyed. Unfortunately I forgot I had 2 tourists down there, so tonight I'll make another attempt to get down intact(after I move those tourists to empty slots higher up, just in case).

I don't like losing Kerbals, but I am willing to sacrifice ship components to the aerodynamic upgrades, so even if I lose half the ship again, this next attempt should be a keeper. (I plan on starting my maneuver burn earlier, which, thanks to being at a tangent to a point on my orbit should mean I burn longer before I get to the atmosphere due to the higher angle. It seems likely that 200m/s over and above my orbital velocity should allow me to get slow enough in-atmosphere to deploy my chutes before I get too low to slow down properly)

Today, I sent this monstrosity into orbit.

WmNEtFz.jpg

580 ton payload to 85km x 85km LKO - My new nuclear tug and a lander. Sure, I could have broken it into two separate launches, but then I couldn't have benefited so much from MOAR BOOSTERS.

EDIT: In my defense I had actually means to launch it into orbit with (mostly) empty fuel tanks and then refuel at Minimus. But apparently I accidentally launched it completely full. And it still made orbit. Go me.

Edited by jkool702

Why did your launch pad not collapse? I've had that happen before.

I assume you're talking to me? I used launch stability enhancers, so it never actually touched the pad. Without it the lauchpad probably (definitely) would have collapsed...Take off weight was ~3650 tons

I've been playing KSP for a couple of months, and in my current career game (I restarted once) I completed my second manned Mun landing mission, which included my first hard docking.

18567405583_4635611f47_z.jpg

I'm not far enough in the tech tree to build a launcher large enough to lift a single vehicle to land on Mun and return with a direct-ascent profile, so I split the mission into two parts. I first sent an empty lander module capable of landing on Mun and returning to Munar orbit. I followed that with Jeb in a command module that can reach Munar orbit and return. They rendezvoused in Munar orbit and Jeb EVA'd to transfer from one to the other. The plan was:

1. Send empty lander to Munar orbit.

2. Launch manned command module to Mun.

3. Rendezvous with lander in orbit.

4. EVA transfer kerbalnaut from CM to LM.

5. Land on Mun.

6. Lift off from Mun and rendezvous with CM in Munar orbit.

7. EVA transfer kerbalnaut from LM to CM.

8. Return to Kerbal in CM.

9. ???

10. Profit.

This worked perfectly! I brought the two craft to within about 10m in orbit and "jumped" across the gap. However, after this mission I learned that you can go out on EVA and collect the data from the science instruments. But I didn't know this at the time, and since the LM was staying behind I thought I had to transmit everything, leaving half of the science points on the table. Also, a contract to plant a flag on Mun popped up. So I launched a second mission, but this time I put small docking ports on the LM and CM. Docking isn't strictly necessary, since I still have to EVA from one to the other, but I figure this way the lander can be refueled and reused.

19191602161_4c0c811626_z.jpg

19191605571_b35d4a2022_z.jpg

Edited by JetJaguar

I started off in sandbox where I attempted something rather new (for me) for my spaceplanes... It didn't work.

screenshot1_zpsgxru1iwh.png

After that spectacular failure and my inability to fix it I went back to my career where I used what unlocks I had to make this little jet rover to mull about the KSC.

screenshot2_zpsqzvtchm1.png

Jool window is coming and I do have a mission to go there... maybe I'll send the rover.

After deciding to start my SSTO program in career I went and googled "KSP crane" and the best I came across was an old craft from reddit and a now dead file link from the great Mareczex333 I tried to copy but ended up with a different beast entirely. It is 100% Stock & can load micro satellites into SSTO cargo bays and for kicks I made a tanker and they both link up well :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Finally completed station in Mun's orbit

y1DUjem.png

Also, Valentina and 2 red-shirts (or blue-shirts as those were scientists) returned from Minmus after being there for almost a year

Today I have been making my first space plane. I'm sure a few of you may recognise the design as the one for Scott Manley's tutorial series.

I got a humorous surprise when I did an IVA with the co-pilot. Though I'm sure it's old news to those of you who have been playing longer than I.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My Duna mission finally arrived. I had discovered that by spending an extra 100m/s of dV leaving Kerbin's SOI, I could shave around 140 days off the trip, but when I got there I found I needed 1.1km/s to capture around Duna. My tug could do it, but I decided to aerobrake at under 10 km instead.

It did not go well

QbBXsSy.png