What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Maybe the potato has added cheese and bacon bits, forming highlands!

hmm, but the current theories of space potato formation don't allow for bacon. only because all the scientists are vegetarian.

Jeb is still keen for a follow up mission, with a trip past Minimus on the way back for dessert.

I landed on Eve for the first time in 1.0+, just a small probe for a contract, and to see what its like. Mission success.

Then I sent a Pol lander to Jool, as a bonus with enough extra satellites to orbit every moon and Jool itself. all satellites are in an orbit so I can get the "high in space" and near ____" science. points. Everything went perfectly. I reentered my transfer stage on Laythe just to test its atmosphere, should be a good time whenever I send a lander.

Thus far I've set up a few more alarms for transfer windows, launched a couple of probes into parking orbits to await the windows. Interestingly the first planets that became available were Jool (currently 13 days), Eeloo (19d), Moho (24d), Duna (67d) and Eve (88d). So I got time to perfect landing on Duna and Eve.

I devised a single-launch four-vessel Minmus Kethane mining operation, and then I launched it. The Kethane rig is currently drilling away, supplying me with loads of extra fuel that I'm sure I'll never put to any real use. I just like Kethane mining.

Create an operation of bringing it back to Kerbin for cash. A large SSTO with only a docking port as a payload, fuelled only enough to reach the orbit... whatever empty space of the fuel tanks you brought to the orbit will be your profit on recovery.

I continued tinkering about on the VAB roof working out my crane system.

That is when things got a little weird... To quote Scott Manley "Your physics have no power over me"

screenshot0_zpswlhrbtaj.png

Alternate explanation... The kerbal telekenesis experiments are showing excellent results...

Brought the passengers and crew of Straight Flush 7 back to the New Horizons space station over Kerbin safely. I then did an assessment of where my KSC staff was experience-wise, with the goal of getting as much of them up to 3-star status as quickly as could be managed. I came to the determination that Straight Flush's crew needed to come back down to KSC to get their certifications updated. There were no craft available at New Horizons, however, that could bring the crew back to KSC, so to that end I did a re-design job on both the Condor 7 and Raven 7a spaceplane designs to include a probe core for unmanned operations (there being nobody on the ground at KSC at the moment). The Condor, an old Twitch/Whiplash design, didn't fare so well, but the upgraded Raven made orbit and a successful rendezvous with the space station easily, offloading some of its excess oxidizer and monopropellant and the station while taking on a little more LF. At this point I've performed the craft's de-orbit burn and she's ready to attempt re-entry and landing, which is where I plan to pick things up later today.

I continued tinkering about on the VAB roof working out my crane system.

That is when things got a little weird... To quote Scott Manley "Your physics have no power over me"

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/annallia92/screenshot0_zpswlhrbtaj.png

I thought it was just a staring contest to see who blinks first. ;)

Edited by Technical Ben

under-engineered a ship to go to duna... i basically have to mine, fil up my fuel, then fil up my ore to be able to get anywhere... but, it works! I think i can get pretty much anywhere with it, as long as i can land where there's ore.

Going to minmus with a 3 staged rocket, just to see it has excess delta-v. I had minmus orbit and 1000 delta-v remaining with only the first stage, that supposed to just get me to LKO. And i don't really don't like to ditch 4000 delta-v of the second stage:(

Having recently bought a new to me refurbed PC just so I can play KSP 1.0+, I downloaded a bunch of mods that I commonly use or are interested in, and amongst them the ALCOR capsule. Oh My Goodness! That thing is gorgeous, even without all the bits and bobs that can make the interior screens functional! Not sure yet how much I'll actually use it, but did a few short hops off the KSC launchpad, and I'll probably try sending one to Minmus before deciding whether to try to get everything working with it that can. My main focus for a bit, though is going to be to resume my efforts re the Elcano challenge, back in v0.9, my designs for a 2-man rover carrying sufficient supplies for a round-the-world driving attempt were well advanced. However, I might be changing life-support systems, so a bit of redsign and re-testing is needed.

Show screen of two ships just meters apart to girlfriend: That's nice honey.

You're preaching to the choir there...got the exact same reaction from my wife the first time I put Kerbals down on Ike......

I did it!

diys.jpg

That is my "small" STTO and return launcher. Can send 3 large orange tanks up, or anything else that can fit really (within certain limitations).

I say it's done, but I may need to put a tad more fuel in it, as it ran out 2cm off the ground.

Today, i finished the prototype of this fully functional micronized Tylo lander... This little dude packs 6.1 km/s of delta V and can make it down from and back to Tylo orbit. The craftfile will be released soon.

fkGr3eL.png

Edited by Frank_G
Tpyos Tyops Typos...

Today, while sitting in Panera waiting on a car repair, I attempted my first rendezvous and docking. I was able to circularize in a nearly-identical orbit with my target, and just 4.5 km off it, but was not able to close the gap on this attempt. I then had an overly-exciting reentry when I hit space bar at the wrong time and had to reenter with my service module and with one prematurely-blown chute-- fortunately, I'd designed the capsule with a reserve chute. There was a spectacular fireball upon landing, but all my Kerbals lived... any landing you can walk away from...

I'm leaving the target in orbit and trying again this evening.

under-engineered a ship to go to duna... i basically have to mine, fil up my fuel, then fil up my ore to be able to get anywhere... but, it works! I think i can get pretty much anywhere with it, as long as i can land where there's ore.

First: If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid.

Then: That's actually a very reasonable approach. Lugging empty tanks (of anything) is a waste. And ore has an excellent energy density: half the volume of fuel, same mass, and the large ore tanks come out as better than pure LF tanks when it comes to dry:wet ratio if you assume the ore is converted to LF.

I sent everyone for a training flight in my career mode game.

training_flight_1.jpeg

The shuttle was a quick modification of my debris recovery vehicle.

training_flight_2.jpeg

training_flight_3.jpeg

training_flight_4.jpeg

I always overshoot when I try to land at KSC. The shuttle had to do some ridiculous high-g maneuvers to lose energy.

No Fancy pics from me just yet, but I've just sent most of the probes out to their target planets. Unfortunately I've vastly underestimated the Delta-v required just getting there, so my Moho and Eeloo landers are probably just gonna be orbiters or in worst case fly-bys

Finally I was able to play bit longer. Heat wave is over \o/

I built a sail plane and was able to glide for over 100 km with it:

2bZSnYdh.jpg

The decoupler remains are from the two engines which brought me up to ~9 km.