What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally, at long last, I built a moderately sized, robust, efficient, reliable SSTO plane. LilFatty is MK2 style, 4 Whiplashes, 4 Nukes, 1 Aerospike. The middle can fit any two short or one long MK2 module, plus a third one if you include a probe core instead of the inline cockpit.

At last something to bring SavingClaws to orbit? Not Yet.

SavingKlaw *just* won't fit in the MK2 cargo bay. Or actually, it fits. Except it's then unremovable, clipped into the floor. I tried to push it out opening its airbrakes. The whole plane exploded so hard there was just a tiny puff of smoke left, no parts whatsover.

So instead of putting it in the hold, I strapped it on top in a fairing, taking some extra fuel instead. First, sunk in the sea due to CoM moving too far front. Then flipped madly due to center of mass being way above center of thrust, and no atmosphere to hold me down.

On my third try, I got it into orbit just fine. Detached the pylon the fairing was attached to. Switched to the Klaw. Pressed "Space".

The "deploy fairing" option didn't activate. Instead, the Klaw separated from the fairing.

It's there, it's functional, except it's enclosed in a fairing that cant be removed...

Valentina: "KSC tower I am coming in for a landing, I lost my approach vector and low on fuel, will have to land off the runway"

Tower: "Roger that, damage control teams dispatched"

Valentina: "Negative tower, I am in VTOL mode"

Tower: "We are unaware of any aircraft with VTOL capabilites, please state your vessel class"

Valentina: "Rover"

Tower: "Uhhh you broke up there Val, repeat again it sounded like you said rover..."

screenshot10_zpshx5yozia.png

In other news, Valentina has returned from her visit to Minmus.

Edit- Vessel has a 1.3 TWR on Kerbin, was way overpowered for Minmus :D

Valentina: "KSC tower I am coming in for a landing, I lost my approach vector and low on fuel, will have to land off the runway"

Tower: "Roger that, damage control teams dispatched"

Valentina: "Negative tower, I am in VTOL mode"

Tower: "We are unaware of any aircraft with VTOL capabilites, please state your vessel class"

Valentina: "Rover"

Tower: "Uhhh you broke up there Val, repeat again it sounded like you said rover..."

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/annallia92/screenshot10_zpshx5yozia.png

In other news, Valentina has returned from her visit to Minmus.

Edit- Vessel has a 1.3 TWR on Kerbin, was way overpowered for Minmus :D

LOL. Gotta love flying cars

Findthepin1 tests the OAV2

TL DR: Findthepin1 launches the OAV2 on a Mun Return Mission with the orange-suits. 103 days later he is left with an original OAV without an engine and without RTGs sitting on a hill in the desert, docked to a giant battery. Pretty much gives you an idea of how it went.

I built a 16-kerbal version of my standard 4-kerbal lander/orbiter Orbital Activity Module. I called it the OAV2 and decided to test it by sending it to the Mun with Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Val. It could hold 12 more kerbals. The first stage on the launcher I used for it is a set of four liquid fuel boosters. When I decoupled them, one turned its nose towards the second-stage engine. I turned the engine on without realizing this and poof, no second stage lower fuel tank. The engine was completely unattached to the rest of the rocket. I decoupled what was left of the second stage and used the transfer stage to get to orbit. I reached a Munar flyby trajectory using the landing engines, and I noticed I wouldn't have enough fuel to land and return. I turned on Infinite Fuel in the debug menu and came to nearly a full stop in orbit. I landed and Jeb got out and broke a solar panel on descent. Then Bill got out to fix it and couldn't (I can't right-click on the stump of the solar panel, please fix this SQUAD). Then Bob got out as well and broke the other solar panel. Val eventually left the ship to kick Jeb and Bob in the helmet and was thrown a hundred meters above the ship by some glitch (again, please fix this SQUAD). This throwing glitch happened multiple times during the Munar part of the mission. I lifted off the Mun after having Val plant a flag and get everyone on board. Once the OAV2 was back in Kerbin orbit I realized that since the solar panels were gone, the ship had no power input. It had power output from keeping the systems online (it is probe-controlled. I have learned my lesson about probe-controlled ships with breakable power sources). I also noticed the distinct lack of attitude control onboard. The ship was dead.

Since it was probe-controlled and without electricity, I couldn't control the engines. Somewhere around here I turned Infinite Fuel off because it was pointless. I waited for another Munar flyby to lower my apoapsis down to Kerbin. 94 days later I was on a Mun collision course. Val had to get out and push the ship for 20 minutes. They were safe, for now, but they were on a trajectory that would put them in Kerbol orbit. I then turned off gravity in the debug menu for the remainder of this near-collision time in the Mun's SOI in the hopes that the OAV2 would slow down and not be in danger for once. Unfortunately I brainfarted and they were traveling away from home twice as fast as before.

I decided to send a rescue mission. I sent an regular 4-kerbal-capacity OAV to catch up with them. It was unmanned but operable because it operates on the same premise that the OAV2 does: probe-controlled systems are cheaper and lighter than actual command pods. This one is the original I have used for pretty much forever. It has 4 RTGs on a Hitchhiker crew module (now we'll quarantine them for weeks like the Apollo 11 astronauts did, which is funny because this is a new save file and I haven't been to the Mun in it before). The launch went fine, even though the launch vehicle is the same make and model as the one that launched the OAV2, because I waited a few seconds for the boosters to drift away this time. I didn't go into orbit, instead opting for direct launch-to-intercept. The ship reached the OAV2 and docked. I moved everyone into the OAV and shut down all the OAV2's engines. The lone engine on the rescue ship deorbited both. During the transit I realized I couldn't activate the parachutes on the larger ship for some reason and I brought Val out to deploy them manually.

The combined vessel entered the atmosphere of Kerbin at well over 3 kilometres per second on a shallow angle (maybe 10 or 15 degrees?) and promptly caught fire. A bunch of stuff blew up when this happened. It remained like this for about 5 minutes. Eventually the manually-deployed parachutes opened. Then they were destroyed because we were still going Mach 1.2 and had flames coming out of every available spot on the ship. All the RTGs exploded, by the way. I turned on the OAV's engine (the two ships were still docked) and slowed the thing to about 300 m/s. Then I deployed the rescue ship's chutes. It was going fine until they opened fully after having been reefed. The deceleration from the opening parachutes ripped the OAV2 apart, creating an explosion and leaving only the 2.5 meter battery docked to the rescue ship. Also, the explosion burned up the parachutes. Using what remaining fuel was still in the tank I slowed the OAV to about 20 m/s. This was when the engine went kaput. It bounced once and almost tipped over, but for reasons I couldn't explain at the time there was still enough power in the ship to tip it back onto its landing legs. I later found out the extra electricity came from the OAV2's battery, which had survived the explosion and remained docked to the smaller ship.

EDIT: I just closed the game and on the title screen I got the Mun Castle for the first time in basically forever. I've actually never seen that before in person. So yeah. I don't think I'll use the OAV2 anymore.

Edited by Findthepin1

A few days ago I accidentally terminated my space station in orbit while cleaning up pods from rescue contracts... I have since started building a new one. I decided to call this one SS Kida after the girl from the underrated Disney Atlantis movie. (I wonder what other fictional characters have names that would work for stations/ships... That would be a good naming system.) So far I've got 3 fuel tanks, 2 crew return pods, A hab and lab that you can't see from this angle.

I don't even want to think about all the boosters and other junk I've dropped in LKO building this thing.

aZA9eOo.jpg?1

Speaking of rescue contracts, I did a couple of those today, too. Though thats kind of boring to look at or talk about. Just launching my rescue rocket over and over and doing orbital stuff. Though it's always fun to get the free kerbals, one of my favorite contract types!:D

I tested the reentry capabilities of my Dres mission module.

kerbin_return_test_1.jpeg

kerbin_return_test_2.jpeg

kerbin_return_test_3.jpeg

The craft landed safely on a 13-degree slope.

All the modules are ready now, so I just need to launch and assemble the ship.

I got my atmospheric and vacuum stage designer spreadsheets hammered out. Here's a sneak peek:

104ss1_zpsnyb0yhhj.jpg

I'll be adding more content before I start distributing it. So glad I'm learning how to make spreadsheets that aren't eyesores!

Best,

-Slashy

All the modules are ready now, so I just need to launch and assemble the ship.

Well, assembling the ship was quite fast. Now I'm ready to explore Dres and deliver a space station there.

dres_ship.jpeg

Window finally got here so Duna bound!

screenshot1_zpseyvhp8lj.png

In the mean time I started landing the habitat modules (I need the crew ship to reach Duna before I do the rest of the rovers so I can move them to a lower orbit first)

screenshot4_zpstaqe17pj.png

Good news is I managed to land all 6 of them in relatively the same area... Bad news is the rover designed specifically to move these around crashed horribly :D

I am now deciding if I send one at the next window or if I build a ship capable of moving to Duna without the window to get it there faster...

I HAD A BAD DAY, CRASHED A SHUTTLE BECAUSE THERE IS NO EMERGENCY LANDINGSTRIP IN STOCK GAME!

SQUAD, PLEASE HELP!

DijokCb.png

Oh- Ohhh...

YEQZ7CS.png

... HOLY KRAKEN!!!...

ERbCzE0.png

... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

PLEi2T3.png

HEY THIS IS SERIOUS... HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PUT SOME TARMAC DOWN?

MY KERBALS ARE GETTING... UNWILLING! :0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0:

I finally managed to launch , record and send to youtube my 36 000 ton orbital super tanker - The mountain king

Hmm, you look familiar. Is Whackjob your daddy? :D

Anyways, props, rep, and kudos. That was.... words fail. Please write it up in more detail in the Mission Reports section.

And nice Wagnerian soundtrack :)

How do you display a youtube link as an image instead of just text , im new to forum posting ! :blush:

You mean like this? [noparse]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koM-CKLwzJY

[/noparse]

Or easier:

Copy the URL from youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koM-CKLwzJY)

Click the tiny video icon film.png

Paste the copied link and confirm.

Nice job, Tp! It looks like you didn't even use strut connectors. By the way, with the new aerodynamics, nosecones might improve your flight performance, but hey, your design works!

Edited by Dispatcher

I finally managed to launch , record and send to youtube my 36 000 ton orbital super tanker - The mountain king

http://i.imgur.com/Ovj8o50.jpg

That is... that is amazing. I launched a similar payload for my interstellar stock craft, but of cause empty tanks. Launching filled I thought was impossible!

Just brought my Eve Probe to its destination. I quicksaved just as I entered Eve's SOI to set up my aerobraking height, and for good reason because as soon as I reached 85km half of my ship exploded simultaneously (ironically just above the Expodium sea). Just reverted to the quicksave and did a retro burn at 90.1km to come into an orbit.

After about a week off from KSP because I had to get used to new daily schedule due to my new summer job, today I have launched my largest ever crewed rocket

7b2EfTd.png

It brought crew transfer vehicle, 3 Kerbals and Mun lander to the space station in Mun's orbit. After both crafts docked to the station and crew entered it they deployed radiators and solar arrays bringing the station finally online.

Zp2NStG.png

Tomorrow I will be bringing lander on to the surface of the Mun to complete plant a flag contract and take some science data that will be then researched at station to bring more science home.