What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Discovered an amazing planet pack http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114092-1-0-4-Kopernicus-New-Horizons-v1-6-1-13July15-New-Beginnings

Kerbin now orbits a beautiful blue ringed gas giant!

I was getting a little bored with the stock solar system. I'm rather new to mods of all kinds but they have reinvigorated my love for this glorious game!

UHJUYKL.png

uoLfEIC.png

JH6kocN.png

Working on setting up a Duna outpost of some sort. I have sent my prototype crew transfer ship out with a couple anomaly mapping probes to see how the new design works (not impressed so far), and had already sent ahead a low res mapping probe which turned out to work quite well aside from some minor power issues due to an oversight.

The original mapping probe arrived about 60 days ahead of the crew transport and hooked up with Ike to map everything out and run some high and low orbital scientific studies, then dropped down to the surface for some more in depth data. Then it headed over to Duna to do the same, and ended its mission there. Here it is just after leaving Kerbin's SOI, and again in its final resting place. (I thought ahead and only deployed one solar panel for reentry, then deployed the other on the ground).

KSP%202015-07-19%2023-10-59-77.jpg~original

KSP%202015-07-20%2003-47-50-24.jpg~original

The crew transport has now made its way into orbit after dropping off its two anomaly probes. The Ike probe has made its rounds with better equipment than the last probe and is currently awaiting a crew member to swing by in the central pod (hopefully) and pick up the data. The Duna probe is in position and ready to begin scanning.

KSP%202015-07-18%2023-58-34-92.jpg~original

KSP%202015-07-19%2023-09-31-73.jpg~original

KSP%202015-07-20%2023-05-28-63.jpg~original

I am currently planning the next phase -- This crew transport must return to Kerbin for lots of science points, then a new and improved crew transport will be sent (this one has no ability to land and return from Duna, although the pod may be able to make a trip to the surface of Ike) with a skycrane and a rover. I may send a small remote controlled rover to scout out a good spot in the mean time. Then the plan is to send along a refueling station and later when I have all the tech involved, there will be some mining equipment sent. But some of this is a long way off and subject to change!

Finally reached Duna with a manned (Kerballed) mission. I've been to Duna before, in early access, but usually with a pretty Spartan, command pod, direct ascent type vessel. No doubt it would not have been very comfortable for the Kerbals on for that duration. If nothing else, it would have been the perfect recipe for stiff joints/space craziness.

So to his time I tried to do "proper job" of it (according to my own unique definition of that term). For me, this meant a ship that was large enough to accommodate six kerbals in relative comfort for the duration of the outward bound and return trips. Towards that end, the mother ship had, a command module, living quarters, and science compartment, so the Kerbals have spaces to work, rest, and be mentally stimulated on the trip. It also had a separate an descent/ascent vehicle to reach the Dunan surface and a separate vehicle to land on Ike.

Unfortunately I arrived in the Dunan SOI, with far less fuel than planned. This necessitated a pretty aggressive, and I might say white knuckled aerobrake to insert into a Dunan orbit.

I then launched Jeb, Bob and Bill to land on Duna and Val and Arcy to land on Ike. In the meanwhile I refuelled the mothership using a tanker I'd sent chasing after the mothership after I realised how badly I'd underestimated my fuel needs.

All missions complete and all Kerbals are back aboard, I'm now awaiting a transfer window and hopefully more efficient burn back to Kerbin.

Edited by Tourist

Did some Laythe landings and ascents.

7nAefrJ.png

This one got to space easily. Another version, landing in water and using asparagus staging, wasn't stable after the first set of tanks staged away.

So, I learned Laythe likes onions and hates asparagus...

Weather kept me off my box last night, so no KSP. Spent my time researching pitch stability, trying to figure out if I could determine with FAR's stability derivatives screen when I've built a design that's a lawn dart (which has happened a LOT lately). I think I've got it figured out, but I won't know for sure until I can get back to playing the game. And then I'll have to deal with the problem of having to get to used to the sucky performance of my home box again...

I re-created the Saturn I SA-1 Mission:

(I starting a norse munar program ;) )

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The test was a full success - the engines fired for 2 minutes and 32 second and propelled the second stage to a 121.9 km apoapsis.

Apart from a single nosecone the rocket burned up completely during reentry.

Built a new version of my Luxor SSTO. This one now makes orbit with about 1k d/v left in the tanks, making a Mun fly-by and return possible. Uses 4 Turbojets, 2 "Swivels" and 2 "Terriers" (I think that's what they call the 909 now) and carries 2 crew + 8 passengers.

I've heard rumors that Turbojets can get a spaceplane up to 1400 m/s by themselves, but the best I've gotten before lighting the rockets is a tad over 1100 m/s. The thrust falls off just too quickly to get it going faster.

As the current fleet is mainly for Space Tourism, I'm trying to make it as efficient as I can: only spending money on fuel, and then, only as much fuel as I need. I believe with the current design (and some tweaking to the flight profile and fuel supply), I could likely get into a Munar orbit and still safely return. But, so far, fly-bys only.

Edited by Slam_Jones

After returning from my vacation i started playing a new career game with 1.04 yesterday. Learning how usefull manned Mun-missions are in contrast to unmanned (Val brought back over 300 science from her Mun-orbit trip, thanks to EVA over different biomes) i decided that today was the day for the first Kerbal on the Mun (and i had several contracts that required a Mun-landing). The honor goes to Jeb, since Val got the Orbit-mission.

Took some time and fiddeling with the design to get my lander into LKO but i succeeded. Also the Mun-descent was pretty decent for my inexperience - but picking a good landing spot i have to practice. I landed on a slope so instead of standing firm on my landing legs i slid down - quite a way. Lost one side-tank (+ landing leg) on the way down but finally came to a stop. Did my science, planted a flag and got all science into the command pod.

But despite various attempts and a nearly full main tank, i can't lift off. The area is way to uneven, at some point the engine collides with the ground and explodes. So i have to rescue Jeb somehow. The problem is, the area is really uneven and i don't know if i can find a good landing spot nearby - and i have no idea how much ground Jeb could cover during EVA.

So i'm thinking of delaying the rescue a bit and explore Minmus first. With more science i can land on a good spot on the Mun with a rover later and drive to Jeb (and collect science on the way), as then the distance between Jeb and the rescue-lander wouldn't be so much of an issue (i think) - but i lack the tech for rovers yet.

I redesigned my pathfinder space plane into the Pathfinder MK2... Valentina was supposed to be the test pilot (I swear I had her selected) but Bill thought with a name like Pathfinder it most assuredly must be a rover and wanted to get his mandated annual test flight in, bribes were made, Val found herself "locked" in a closet and Bill was none to happy to find himself on the runway... The plane did very well, reached orbit with 42% of its fuel and the MK2 having done away with the service bay filled with batteries and RTGs and instead inserted them into the fuselage it no longer has the death wobble. First half of the mission was to Orbit, second half was to attempt a landing on Mun. However it didn't have enough fuel for that, it had enough to reach mun, had enough to get back to Kerbin but land? Only if I tried with RCS and the RCS system is a little... wonky.

screenshot9_zpsoavby4sx.png

Soo had to top off at the local 7/11 satellite:

screenshot11_zpskvjvsr22.png

And then Bill became the first Kerbal in any of my KSP saves to successfully land a spaceplane on the Mun:

screenshot15_zpsohexwkpj.png

Or any non-atmospheric planetary body really...

Now work begins on the Mk3, going to change the cockpit to a inline cockpit and use a shielded docking port instead of the inline clamp-o-tron... I decided I just absolutely hate docking with that thing. Also going to replace the RCS system with something hopefully a little more stable.

Yesterday I started a sandbox game to start learning how to use the MKS colonisation mod. I decided to send up some living accomodation consisting of a lander can atop a hitchhiker can with a docking port at each end. On top of that, a one-man capsule with an equipment bay with a battery and monoprop in it, heatshield, and a docking port attached to the heatshield. Whole lot lofted by three orange tanks and a couple of mainsails. All went well, got the accomodation into a near-perfect 100km orbit, thanks to MechJeb. Deployed solar panels on the beginnnings of my space station, then Jeb undocked and landed within 6km of KSC (again thanks to MechJeb).

Next, a three-man capsule atop the OKS core unit, same launcher, initial 95km orbit, then a Hoihmann transfer to get within 2km of the target. Took a bit of faffing to get the dock, but learnt a bit more about Navyfish's docking indicator in the process (I'd thoroughly reccomend that mod to anyone, btw). Now, when I got the initial bit of the station into orbit, I left the top stage attached as it still had a fair bit of fuel left, and I thought that might come in useful eventually, and indeed, having seen that the top stage of the second launch came a little closer to the station than I was comfortable with, I decided to move the station a little. I got MechJeb to compute a node, and then..

...and then I forgot that in order to dock, I;d had to switch the point at which the capsule/OKS module combination was commanded from to the rear of the OKS module. Cue a wild few seconds of the station whirling around crazily, threatening to break up before I recovered from the shock and cut the engine. Oh, darn - instead of raising the orbit by 5km, the station was now starting to de-orbit. Ok, check fuel, should be enough to recover the situation. Line up and - yes, I'd forgotten again that the navball would be pointing me the wrong way, and by the time I realised my second mistake, the station wasn;t only deorbiting, it was doing so rather rapidly. All I could do was detach the 3-man capsule and get out of the way of the fallingstation, so that Jeb, Bill and Bob could land safely, which they did.

My beautiful baby space station! (sob) :-}

Ah well - I know what not to do next time, now! And nobody died :-)

Esme