What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Almost completed upgrading KSC in my 64k career save. Also completed all the exploration contracts. Not sure how much further I'm gonna push this. I mean the exploration contracts are unique and interesting. The rest is just randomly generated crap I only did when I really needed funds, but once I've upgraded everything I wont have a reading to do that any more :/

Phase II of this added chutes to current design, as well as a set of Rounded Mono. Tanks with a set of RV-105s as well, moved my solar panels so they wouldn't hit my Grabber upon deployment, and action key for solar panel as well, and forgot to add one for the grabber and docking port to make it easier on me. Which upon coming back after dealing running to hardware store for wife, Switched to craft from a reload and my other docking port exploded, but nothing else was damaged, so, continued with mission. This is where it got interesting, upon getting at my Mun capture, my trajectory had shifted somehow, and instead of there being a Periapsis, my line went to Mun, busted a u-turn inside of it, and came back out to Mun Escape. Huh? Well, I was able to adjust it manually with Prograde, retrograde, and radial/antiradial to save payload and taxied crew. got the vessel into orbit of mun and and just gonna mess with that and it's older brother currently on getting rendezvous with Orbital Station for it's upgrade, and then send their probes/drones to next respective contract completion location around Mun.

A2C06E8707BCE4B72F0CFE66B5870166FF1224EC

116EAFFF180D7140BC3086120F5EC26458980EB2

997AC65FB0A696DB50F16148C58B29DAC89A3CCB

B1C6E8966CE08FAE71B77F935444744C755087E1

9DC6937E7D2E993E8DCEF14675B2CFFCF099D030AEBD85E0005AF8140D3CCB2CC075B250285E1680

73E49B09E78954C170D86DC286B78C950E41A70E

So, had a contract today to recover an asteroid, and bring it into Kerbin orbit. Well, I did that - my first time fully bringing one into LKO successfully. But then, I thought to myself, what am I going to do with this rock now? It's endangering all my precious space debris here in LKO! It was only a Class A asteroid, so it wasn't actually useful for anything... or was it?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Now Jeb has a new pet rock to see him off at the launch pad!

Amusingly, my first crane was purely large rover wheel powered, but I'd dropped the asteroid 25km away from KSC, right at the edge of the mountains. This didn't seem like a problem, until I tried actually driving there. Holy crap, 20m/s is way too slow for that.

But, this is Kerbal Space Program! There is always an answer to the age old problem "This is safe but horrifically boring and slow", and that answer is: ROCKETS.

So, I kept the rover wheels for close in maneuvering, added heavy landing gear, more fuel (bringing my crane up to a nice 100t), a collection of Twitch engines to hold the crane down (as much as one can) and a few regular radial engines for zoom. And zoom it did! Upwards of 100 m/s over roughish Highland terrain, nice and stable and (thanks to the large gimbal range) some limited maneuverability.

Curiously, a 100t crane barreling over terrain at 100m/s, jumping and bouncing along was just fine on the landing gear, but just turning at a standstill with those rover wheels would often cause them to break. I'd have to move forward (or backwards) at roughly 5 m/s to be able to turn without breaking wheels =/ I really hope that disparity gets fixed in the rover wheel update.

I originally had 3 winches+harpoons supporting that asteroid, but it turns out flying back over said rough terrain at a completely sane and restrained 70 m/s was a bad idea - the Asteroid got bouncing, and destroyed one of the winches, before I slowed down to a mind numbing mere 50m/s.

Anyways, got the rock back successfully, and had a lot of fun doing it :)

Worked in my Ike mining camp, and landing one of the aerospike spaceplanes I've sent to explore Duna for refueling. Not pictured, a huge and likely impractical tanker/rover on the other side of the spaceplane

2jgkll.jpg

Sadly, the game crashed when I've sent my engineer on EVA to fix that rover's wheels.

And yes, I've used MJ to pinpoint the landing and only overrode it when it was clear I was going to land on top of the mining rig. That place is a small plateau among ridges and a small mistake lands me in a 24° slope

[...]Upwards of 100 m/s over roughish Highland terrain, nice and stable and (thanks to the large gimbal range) some limited maneuverability.

[...]but it turns out flying back over said rough terrain at a completely sane and restrained 70 m/s was a bad idea - the Asteroid got bouncing, and destroyed one of the winches, before I slowed down to a mind numbing mere 50m/s.

[...]

A common KSP problem I think :D One's intuitive gauge for speed gets a little warped. How often did I try to land a plane or wait for something on chutes to finally touch the ground because it was going sooo slow. As in: My car can't even go that fast.

Had to rebuild my station in RSS today. First station was at a 400km orbit. The docking ports would randomly explode and split my station. I had to reload my quick save to get around it (2-3 times). Ten minutes later it does it again. So I let the Kraken take my station. ;.;

Started a new career (sandbox of course). Built my new station at a 1000km orbit. No issues after five docking procedures. :cool:

uolVTo1.png

Didn't really do much, made the Mk3 for my pathfinder class SSTO. Solved all of the issues that the Mk2 had, though a bit uglier honestly specially in profile... No more death wobble from MK1, no more crazy RCS while docking from MK2, I consider it finished for now.

screenshot0_zpsy3wsumb0.png

screenshot3_zpsvqjgnqxd.png

Had to rebuild my station in RSS today. First station was at a 400km orbit. The docking ports would randomly explode and split my station. I had to reload my quick save to get around it (2-3 times). Ten minutes later it does it again. So I let the Kraken take my station. ;.;

Started a new career (sandbox of course). Built my new station at a 1000km orbit. No issues after five docking procedures. :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/uolVTo1.png

Nice station!

Technically yesterday and not today, but I made a Science Station around Duna. Have one more module left to go on. :P

fb6G7ac.png

Last night I got back to work after an extended break. Launched Burlong, Malfurt and Miglas along with tourists Tamchell and Mauxy from KSC on a Mun-bound expedition aboard Necessary Evil, a new Stratofortress 7a-type craft (same as Straight Flush) and the third craft to join my reusable flotilla. Nothing particularly noteworthy about that flight; they'll arrive in the Mun's SOI in another hour's flight time. Meantime, Ludine, Pepe and Valberta arrived at the Minmusport space station aboard Straight Flush and transferred to the station's Mun Buggy for a surface excursion. Landing in Minmus's lowlands was a bit hairy for a minute or two but otherwise went well, the three white-suits each planting flags on the moon's surface.

I realized this morning that part of the latest Minmus expedition is going to call for a change of plans. The original idea was for Straight Flush to return with its current crew of three as well as Kacella, Diissa and Bob, three Kerbals that were manning the Minmusport station. Six kerbals total...but Straight Flush's crew capacity is five. I'ma thinking what will be required is for me to return the crew to Kerbin aboard the Mun Buggy - which can handle six Kerbals, has the necessary delta-V for the journey and automated controls available for a return flight - and then return it to Minmusport later. Minmusport does have a fuel supply available to refuel the buggy once it returns, so the big trick will be figuring out which Kerbal I want to take to bring Straight Flush back home. I'm going to want Bob and Diissa back there eventually anyways, preferably after they've earned their three-star ratings...

I've also come to the conclusion that I need to expand the New Horizon's space station again. The current station has four docking berths, of which two are occupied - one by the original space station core module (which is now a habitat module), and one by Free Bird. I want to be able to use the station as a staging point for a final flight into Kerbol's orbit in order to bring thirteen Kerbals - over 75% of my current KSC staff - to three-star ratings. By my calculations, though, when Necessary Evil and the Mun Buggy return, I'm going to be out of docking berths - unless I run a KIS/KAS spacewalk or two to add another couple of Clamp-O-Trons to the existing station. Planning that spacewalk today; it may or may not happen tonight.

Edited by capi3101

Captured and put another Class C asteroid into orbit around Kerbin, asteroid AOR-706. Pilot Jensen Kermin did the job this time. While all that was happening, mapping of Moho completed ... science! And as well, my mapping probe orbiting Dres finished its lo-res scanning and was moved to a higher orbit to begin hi-res scans. I also put a small lab into Kerbin orbit, and it too is now (slowly) churning out science. And, I put a 'Hubble' telescope, from the Hullcam VDS mod into Kerbin orbit (thank you Albert VDS!). :cool:

Jensen, doing science at AOR-706...

Ei7wtfj.png

I must add - the FreeEVA mod is making my EVAs a breeze to manage ... so much easier.

I broke the land speed record- 463 m/s, BUT without monopropellant engines, mods, according to the rules of the Trust KSC Challenge which is a closed thread. However, the challenge is really hard if you look at the rules, but I did it!. Check out my video on YouTube, I just started the channel, so it would be really helpful if you tell me what to improve in my video, but don't be too much judgemental! Here's the link---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UL7eQtG2PU :P

Thanks.

Did not get a lot done, but ran into a number of interesting bugs.

1) my Duna Cruise was heading to Duna with an Ike fly-by just because of where Ike will be at that time, and I could not add any nodes after the Ike SOI

2) time warping to get out of the Kerbin SOI so that I could hopefully set my capture burn node around Duna, I encountered a phantom force which(after some course corrections) cut my Duna intercept from ~200 days to ~160 days Hope I still have enough D-v to slow down...

I managed to add a deceleration burn in the Ike fly-by(still have one of those oddly enough) for my current ~2km D-v, then a second node around Duna that will actually cause a capture(for after I have refined enough fuel for a re-fill), and a final node to capture into Ike orbit in hopes of being able to land to get more fuel before running out.

On the plus side, if I run out of fuel after the capture burn, I can always wait for my original Duna mission to land, refuel and come up to lend a cup of fuel to the cruise mission.(assuming I can Klaw-dock through the lag)

Admittedly the cruise ship should not be my first manned mission to Duna, but you take what you can get, and it will still arrive after my scan-sat which is intended to do the preliminary mineral scans of Duna and Ike.

It seems like leaving the game paused for a few hours causes problems for further game-play unless I close down and re-start KSP.

Does that mean my rockets are Jealous of my wife?

Started building a fuel network for my Space Tourism career. Started with launching the "Stargazer 1-A", a Modular Fuel Storage System.

pPLPqaW.jpg

Basically, it has an orange tank as the central stack, with some RCS and batteries, etc, plus 8 folding booms that each sport a Clamp-O-Tron Sr (for adding extra orange tanks) and a regular Clamp-O-Tron for incoming spaceplanes.

Each additional orange tank is launched from KSC, and is able to rendezvous and dock itself to the station. Once all the fuel has been moved out of it/used up, the fuel pod undocks, makes a small de-orbiting burn, and uses the airbrakes and chutes to safely re-enter and be recovered.

p5Z8cz3.jpg

Luxor 2-A Luxury Spaceplane

Edited by Slam_Jones

I've been on vacation this past week, so this is more of a "what I did on my vacation" post than "what I did today."

So, I've been keeping a more or less permanent save ever since 1.0 came out, and successfully have carried it to the middle of year 4 (Kerbal time) by today. This past week saw the end of one era of Kerbal exploration and the beginnings of another.

In Kerbin Orbit, I'd been operating a spacestation called KerbalLab for much of year 3. Here it is near the start of its first crewed mission:

LW4dGy0.png?2

I had 3 crewed missions to it before its demise: 1 which lasted 60 days, one which lasted 90, and the last which lasted 200 days. The lab got a lot of data from the science module (on the right), netting close to 400 science total during its lifespan. I hoped for one more 200 day mission before deorbiting the station, but... well...

You all probably noted the service bay, and some of you I understand have already experienced Kraken attacks thanks to it. I'd been fortunate to avoid it so far, though every time I'd focus on the station, I'd notice the service bay start to jostle about as if trying to break free. Opening and closing the service bay seemed to fix it each time. But when I prepared to undock Orbiter 17 from the station, the Kraken had its long-deferred revenge, and the station broke apart. Luckily, experienced scientists Milina and Kaca, as well as rookie pilot Sidcas were already in Orbiter 17's capsule when the Kraken hit, so all they had to do was undock from what remained of the station and de-orbit safely. But there were still 88 points of data yet to be converted to science still aboard. A true setback for Kerbal science.

The loss of KerbalLab also coincided with the decision to end my current batch of Mun and Minmus landings. I'd put Kerbals on both moons 3 times, but it was increasingly clear that the existing spacecraft were not cost effective. Mun 8 was my last "Phase 1" Mun landing, with Jebidiah finally fulfilling his dream of walking on the Mun's surface:

p8712Am.png?1

And Minmus 5 was the last to visit the minty moon. Here, we see Bob Kerman jetting about, collecting samples and reports for a Visual Survey contract, and incidentally setting the record for the greatest distance travelled from a landing site (Bob eventually got over 2.5 km from the lander):

NQhyAPl.png?1

(For those curious, Chadble Kerman was the first Kerbal to walk on the Mun on Mun 6, while Valentina left footprints and a flag behind on Mun 7).

I also sent out my first planetary probes, with Venturer 1 performing a Duna flyby mission, and Eve Probe 1 giving me my first up-close look at the purple planet in 1.04. It was also the first time that the heating effects jeopardized one of my missions:

1xebVL6.png?1

I'd jettisoned the probe's main stage barely a second prior to the explosions. From then on down it was nail-biting terror all the way. I wasn't sure if the heat-shield would last; then I wasn't sure the craft would cool down enough for me to jettison the shroud and shield, and then I wasn't sure if the chute would work. But, in the end...

CUoOSOb.png?1

...Eve Probe 1 survived the descent, quietly transmitting temperature, pressure, and seismic data while it melted :)

(Not pictured is the heat shield, which survived(!) the descent and slowed down enough to soft-land. A possible destination for future Kerbal explorers...)

Lastly, I began Phase II of Kerbal exploration, by lofting the core for the new Kerbin Orbital Station:

TFjfWE2.png?1

This station will be a transfer point for Kerbals going to the moons and planets, and will also have a laboratory where samples can be studied without risking contamination of Kerbin (some wild-eyed author recently got the population in a panic with his best-selling book The Kraken Strain, but even sober scientists Kerbals recognize the importance of pristine samples...)

xh0BuLU.png?1

Today I have mostly been rescuing the weirdest thing from orbit.

The claw was set up in such a way that I could have brought it home on it's own. But I wanted to see if I could return it to the cargo bay and bring it all back together.

She may not be the most fuel efficient, but she did the job.

0RzFcll.png

My space program has ended for the time being and upcoming missions will take place on Kerbin. There were some poorly executed incursions into space and even to the Munar surface, but the final two Kerbals splashed down in the ocean near the KSC today. Missions will now focus on mountain ranges and the polar regions on Kerbin. At least I've somewhat mastered the skill of landing on tiny spots.

2vnidrn.png