What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Got confused, could have sworn I deleted a few mods but the parts were still available...

At any rate, managed to finish my fourth orbital station... it is finally stable!

screenshot20_zpsgyhgeaq5.png

Ok so not really finished, it is crewed, it is fueled, and missions to deliver rocket parts to the station are planned so the construction yard can get operational (need to deliver more pilots first though). Also need to deliver the escape pods yet.

I had taken a break off KSP after Matrix Kerman died on my first attempt of a 1.0 Eve return mission. Her ship wasn't aerodynamically stable on the way down and insisted on flipping, so that the heatshield ended up at the back during atmospheric entry...

Now I've returned, and I visited all biomes of Gilly. The ship had two stages, not counting the launcher. One to go to Gilly, and the other one to land on Gilly and to return to Kerbin. The first stage still had a few droplets of fuel in it when the ship reached its target, so I decided to land using the first stage, as with Gilly's low gravity the reaction wheels would be enough to keep the ship upright.

That worked so well, that I did the same in the two other biomes. When launching from the third biome, the first stage still had more than 60 m/s dV, easily enough to reach orbit around Gilly. I decided to drop it just before the periapsis was above ground, to have it discarded properly...

I also started the planning for a mission to high Duna orbit and Ike, which will rescue three stranded Kerbals and then will have one of them perform the first manned landing on Ike.

Addendum to my previous entry: I got on a roll as soon as I didn't have docking bugs to worry about, and I ended up launching fueling missions 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 for my Jool-5 mothership (out of a projected 25). Then I made this diagram:

2vVM2S1.jpg

More information via my signature.

Got confused, could have sworn I deleted a few mods but the parts were still available...

At any rate, managed to finish my fourth orbital station... it is finally stable!

Ok so not really finished, it is crewed, it is fueled, and missions to deliver rocket parts to the station are planned so the construction yard can get operational (need to deliver more pilots first though). Also need to deliver the escape pods yet.

Very fancy. Mind if I ask what visual mods and skybox you're using, there?

Today I realized that easy-money "station orbiting the Sun" contract I nabbed to earn extra cash on my way to Jool had a clause in it. Seems they want 2000 units of ore on the thing.

And probably a 45^ inclination as well :)

Does the ore have to mined from anywhere? If not then just tweak it in a container in the VAB before launch. If you already launched you can rush the ore to the ship before it makes Jool, same as if you realised it needed extra life support.

Had one of those nights with only an hour in which to play. Used the time to bring Burlong, Malfurt and Miglas down from the New Horizons space station. Realized as I was hitting atmo that they weren't flying in any generic Raven 7 spaceplane - they were in Free Bird, which I had decided not to land on account of the fact that it only had Small Gear Bays (the little gear caused many a crash of the Raven prototypes). Of course, by that point it was too late, so I went ahead and rode it on in. Re-entry and landing were un-eventful; the plane managed to land safely at the KSC Runway without reverts, and suddenly I had three more Kerbals joining the two-star club. Of my current KSC staff of 17, that's now six in the "official" two-star club - Jeb, Bob, Valentina, Burlong, Miglas and Malfurt. Berris and Bill are also rated two stars at the moment but their logs don't show flag-planting activity on one of the moons and so I'm not counting them just yet, and then I've got five more Kerbals on their way back to Kerbin at the moment who are likely to join the club upon return to KSC. The big plan is to send them all up at once for a mission into Kerbol orbit, thus earning them all three-star ratings prior to the planned mission to Duna.

Meantime, since Free Bird is landed (for "refitting" I guess), I need to add a new craft to my reusable space fleet. The plan is to send up a Raven tonight in order to collect a couple of rescue contracts, retreive a tourist from the Kerbinport station and return Bill to the surface. Bob (still at Minmus) might also pick up a couple of scientists needing rescuing over Minmus in the Minmusport space station's Mun Buggy. I need the kash at this point - I went ahead and upgraded my Tracking Station to Level 3, which completes all my KSC upgrades - but has only left me with about √150k. That's enough for a single launch; I definitely need to raise some capital pretty fast.

First time posting, but want to become much more involved here! I have only been playing for a month or so.

As a setup, in my career, I have landed on the Mun and Minmus and scienced them both (Minmus much more extensively).

So last night in my career I continued my planning for my Duna & Ike Landing Mission by docking my Duna Lander, Ike Lander and Command Module to my Space Station. There it currently sits for another 200+ days waiting for the launch window (missed the last one by a few days due to not setting an alarm). As I waited, I decided I would try to fulfill some contracts for cash and science.

I have downloaded the Asteroid Day mod and I wanted to do the Sentinel mission by putting the telescope into Solar orbit near Eve. Well, I play with RemoteTech and have a ok network setup, but it really only works in the Kerbin SOI. I thought that I was covered to Eve, but I am not actually. So I launched the Sentinel satellite and got it with a proper Periapsis. I do have the proper dishes on it to connect to Kerbin, but nothing strong enough to contact it back. As I am preparing the maneuver node, I realize I have No Connection to the satellite and cannot control it at all. Fortunately, I had already powered up the dish and pointed it at Kerbin, so with 70 days till my maneuver burn, I knew I needed to upgrade my Kerbin coms.

I design a Satellite launcher that will launch my 3 Medium Range ComSats in a polar orbit around 2870 km. The design goes great and I launch. Everything goes smoothly, launch my first satellite, prepare my Orbital Period, and prepare to launch my 2nd sat. As I switch back to the first sat, it starts spinning out of control even though the engine and RCS is off. My first bout with the KRAKEN!! Needless to say, I have to abort the mission and land (read: crash) the remaining 2 satellites. Apparently, the design I used, despite looking fine at the beginning, had some 1 x 6 solar panels clipping. From reading on the forums, turns out coming out of warp can cause them to function wrong.

Design flaw has been fixed and I will hopefully upgrade my network tonight and complete the Sentinel mission as well.

Very fancy. Mind if I ask what visual mods and skybox you're using, there?

For the clouds on Kerbin: Click Me!

I used the HD pack from there.

For the large pressurized girders and such: Click Me! Near Future Construction mod/Near Future Electrical. (I don't use the engines from that mod, but they are nice!)

The huge orange tank on there is from Necrobones awesome Fuel Tanks Plus

And then of course Extraplanetary Launch Pads For the rocketparts/orbital construction.

Skybox is stock though :)

After bringing home a load of tourists who did the mun-minmus-kerbol thing, I decided to get abmitious and actually do the sub-orbital on Kerbol stint one of them had.

Accepted a Minmus orbital station contract to pay for it and loaded up my standard multi-moon ISRU design with extra cargo space for the sub-solar hopper(ion drive, fuel, panels, lander pod, probe core)

Added in a couple of tourists who somehow missed their Minmus fly-by in spite of landing there and set off.

Finished the station mission and landed on Minmus to top off the fuel and ore tanks.

Burned a couple km/s in the mother ship to leave Minmus orbit(lined up nicely with Minmus between Kerbin and Kerbol to minimize needed d-v, which is why I decided to do this now) then undocked the ion pod, moved the mothership out from around it(no rcs on the pod to maximize d-v), deployed the panels and started the long burn(at 3x time-warp of course). (I set a node in the Kerbol SOI to make sure I had the directions correct but started burning for it while still in the Minmus SOI).

Once I had the relative speed I needed, I just had to turn around and wait for the Kerbol SOI to start my return burn.

Refueled the mothership from the ore tanks and started looking at rendezvous options. Plenty of d-v to get back to Minmus, so that looked like a good option if the pod could make it(and the mothership could refuel as needed before or after docking then take everyone home)

Turns out the pod had plenty of d-v to get to a reasonable Minmus orbit, but the mothership was in a bad position and will take a bit of time to make orbit.

While waiting I sent out and brought back another training/rescue/station/mining mission, but forgot to leave those 400 ore in the tanks. Fortunately the game does not care where the ore came from, just that you did the mining and then ended up stable on Kerbin with enough ore. So I just mined on Kerbin to get back up to the amount of ore I needed.

Manage to Klaw my first asteroid(Class A that I need to bring to Kerbin Orbit for a contract) and drained it dry without even topping off my ore tanks, then set my burn node for it's periapsis in the Kerbin system. Not sure if I will leave it there or land it somewhere after that(perhaps on Minmus when I stop to get more ore for the next asteroid mission, or perhaps I should take it on a nice tour to get all the samples I can from it...).

Then I sent out a station/training/mining mission to get those new recruits up to 3 starts(currently over 30 unassigned Kerbals with 3 stars, but they seem to be more than half pilots for some reason).

I also did the final Kerbol SOI correction burn for my Duna scanning probe due to arrive in only about 70 days.

Seriously considering not taking any more contracts after the current training ship returns and just hitting time-warp until my ships get close to Duna. (over 20M funds and no significant science is left in the Kerbin SOI, so not much need for more missions aside from feeling sorry for those in need of rescue)

For the large pressurized girders and such: Click Me! Near Future Construction mod/Near Future Electrical. (I don't use the engines from that mod, but they are nice!)

And then of course Extraplanetary Launch Pads For the rocketparts/orbital construction.

Dang, that looks a lot purdier than any skybox I remember seeing. Goes to show you how often I'm in space.... :blush:

I didn't remember basic EVE looking that great, but it's been so long since I've seen "vanilla" EVE (instead of an Astronomer pack or KSPRC) that I couldn't have told you want they looked like anywayâ€â€and again, it isn't like I spend a lot of time in far-from-Kerbin space in the first place. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Dang, that looks a lot fancier than any skybox I remember seeing. Goes to show you how often I'm in space, I can't even recognize the stock Skybox.... :blush:

I didn't remember basic EVE looking that great, but it's been so long since I've seen "vanilla" EVE (instead of an Astronomer pack or KSPRC) that I couldn't have told you want they looked like anywayâ€â€and again, it isn't like I spend a lot of time in far-from-Kerbin space in the first place. :P

Last night I did two flights. First one was to fulfill 3 contracts; 4 tourists, place a satellite and rescue a dude. No screenshots of that.

My second flight was for two more rescue contracts, all LKO. Instead of launching a new ship though, I just used a little ship I have docked to my (so far) tiny station orbiting Kerbin at 201 Km. Retrieved both new recruits and they are resting comfortably in the station. Basically, I have 1.5 years to wait (game time) until I launch a mission to Duna, then one to Eve 99 days after that. So, in the meantime I will accept these piddly little missions to offset the costs of upgrading my Kerbin and Mun stations, perhaps build a Minmus one as well. I'm sure my patience will wear thin at some point and I'll timewarp to the funner big missions, but in the meantime I'll keep expanding the local infrastructure. And during all this, my science lab on Ike is faithfully generating about 4 science / day, so I should be able to unlock another 2 or 3 of the 300 science nodes when the big missions come up.

Kerbin 200 station. Attached to the top is the little ship that will run local missions, though I forgot to add RCS so my docking skills are expanding!

Screen-Shot-2015-07-28-at-12.19.49-AM.png

Attached to the side of the station is a group of escape canisters that I can use to return rescuees if I want to. But I forgot to add probe cores to them, so only rescued pilots can use them!

Screen-Shot-2015-07-28-at-12.20.48-AM.png

Edited by justidutch

Dang, that looks a lot purdier than any skybox I remember seeing. Goes to show you how often I'm in space.... :blush:

Hmmm double checked my mods not seeing a skybox in there but it wouldn't be the first time I "lost" a mod :D

- Today I found out that Kerbin's gravity accidentally captured a class C rock into a stable orbit off Minmus, so I launched a grabber to fiddle with it. Brought the 100-ton thing into a proper equatorial orbit and renamed it "Dust Ball", so that it can make company to the class A "Dust Bunny" there.

- Today I tested a freshly built plane. It looks pretty - Mk2 parts - and handles well, but has a range of like 100 km and is therefore totally useless. Air-breathing engine nerf totally killed all my old attempts at long-range subsonic aviation.

- Today I continued to build my future Jool expedition ship; It will consist of the transfer and orbital module with the lab and the crew habitat, and 4xLV-N powered lander which also functions as a tug for the orbital module and can refuel itself - and the orbiting station - with ISRU.

The plan is to visit Pol, Bop and Vall with kerbals, hopping across biomes, drop automatic landers on Tylo, Laythe and Jool itself, and seed every moon with basic science satellites in polar orbits; then refill the main transfer tank at Pol and head home.

Lu9ZePo.jpg

Now that I unlocked turboramjets, I managed to design my first, efficient cargo delivery pl-ane in my horizontal only career. That's 3627 d/V worth of upcoming munar exploration in the name of (50% reduced) science. The next lifter will even be able to land - here I forgot to add some elevons, batteries and a reaction wheel. Though it almost managed to touch down without all these.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Evanitis

I finally built a Reliable SSTO that is able to take some (5t max) parts to 100x100 orbit with relative ease to aid in building my new space station. I still have to practice the deorbiting as i never really come close to KSC, trial and error. But it does land safely either way.

Yesterday i brought the lab up to orbit, today i brought the station drone that is goingf to aid in grabbing the modules and placing them where they need to be. It's not going to be a super huge station but the SSTO is going to be responsible for the building. It saves some cost of rockets that i would dump in the ocean.

C8466E493EABCF37EF60F8E499444547260330A6

I finally had some time left to do some contracts. Class B asteroid in orbit of Kerbin and afterwards in orbit of Minmus. Much money! But floating point errors in the flight path calculation of the asteroid made it horrible to get to it. At first everything looked alright, but after a few Kerbin days the trajectory had changed buy a few degrees. When it arrived in Kerbins sphere of influence everything was back to as it was at first. Annoying. And if you're not an experienced user this would have been hell.

IAhWntbh.jpg