What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Rushed rover wheels and field science experiments (some from DMagic's), then farmed KSC for a second round of science

Mun landing number 2 shall be glorious!

http://i.imgur.com/3CiwjWy.jpg

This made me want to build a tractor for the sole purpose of "farming" KSC as well:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It actually drives better than I thought it would. The only problem is it leans when turning, which can be bad if you don't compensate in time.

I finally built a Reliable SSTO that is able to take some (5t max) parts to 100x100 orbit with relative ease to aid in building my new space station. I still have to practice the deorbiting as i never really come close to KSC, trial and error. But it does land safely either way.

Yesterday i brought the lab up to orbit, today i brought the station drone that is goingf to aid in grabbing the modules and placing them where they need to be. It's not going to be a super huge station but the SSTO is going to be responsible for the building. It saves some cost of rockets that i would dump in the ocean.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/437198654853371210/C8466E493EABCF37EF60F8E499444547260330A6/

Well you can always set up large modules and then fire them with a well-designed lifter, quicker too. Add a fairing to reduce drag and bob's your uncle.

I tried to deliver escape pods to my station, unfortunately I rushed the design and had a number of flaws. The first flaw being that the RCS ports on the pods themselves were poorly placed, I somehow missed a few and had others misaligned. Second flaw which I didn't notice until I was docking with my station was the command pod on the ship making the delivery didn't have any parachutes... No way for Jeb to safely get home! (well could have tried a powered landing I suppose...).

Jeb hatched a plan though. He would keep the remaining 7 pods attached to his ship, make a reentry burn, burn to slow down as much as possible, pop the chutes on all the pods, and then ditch himself and parachute.

screenshot8_zpsvoez5s9c.png

That huge RCS container is all that remains of the delivery ship, 7/7 pods alive all thanks to Jeb!

Annallia: Nice job snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Have some rep.

On my end of things, the construction phase of Kerbin Orbital Station draws to a close, and the operation phase is well underway. I docked Orbiter 21 to the station today, delivering the science team of Milina and Adpont, both experienced researchers who had spent time on one or both of Kerbin's moons.

rClyZ8N.png?1

Orbiter 21 making a textbook docking.

With the experiment pallets attached and running, both scientists got into the thick of things and started collecting data for their research. Some logging problems were noted with the stations computers (i.e. the game kept telling me I didn't have enough data storage in the lab for all the experiments), but I'm expecting great results from these two over the coming days.

fYnkK6F.png?1

A view of the station with all its modules.

The last parts to be delivered will be the radiator arrays, and my construction crew will return home, with some experiment data that needs to go back to the KSC. After that, I'll finally be able to start work on my Munar and Minmus stations, and send out more planetary probes. I'm pushing my Eve mission back to the next launch window (in Year 7) to give myself more time to develop the tech and skills needed for interplanetary travel.

Built a Mk3 cargo spaceplane in career mode:

aVkH8AS.jpg?1

I am thinking of calling it the "Cormorant". Still doing shakedown runs on this thing, but it looks promising so far. Hoping to use it to get surface base components to Low Kerbin Orbit, then they can rendezvous with transition/lander module from there (easier and more economical than launching them in a huge rocket.)

Today? Today I fixed most of the issues in my Saturn 5 Apollo RSS/RO ascent profile and got my Trans-Lunar Injection burn shortfall down to within 120m/s. That's enough that I could complete the burn with the primary lunar equipment (ie, the command module) and successfully enter lunar orbit. Which means I was able to (finally) put a "kerbal" on the Moon in RSS/RO. (At least using the RSS/RO FASA Apollo 11 craft file. I'll build my own later.)

Woot! We're on the Moon!

20150728_kspr_0036_moonlanding.jpg

Jeb hatched a plan though. He would keep the remaining 7 pods attached to his ship, make a reentry burn, burn to slow down as much as possible, pop the chutes on all the pods, and then ditch himself and parachute.

Why didn't he just move to one of the pods and eject it some 300m above the ground, using it to land safely?

I must know which mod provides the parachute...! :o

Did some more Anomaly Surveyor missions with my trusty Tortuga vtol :)

CbO1awJ.jpg

Edited by eddiew

What about the laws of physics? Doing 0.0 m/s in surface mode while hovering about the ground is very un-plane like. :huh:

Darn, I never noticed the 0.0m/s

It looks like it's hauling ass just inches above the surface but it I do think it's a clever hoax. He most likely dropped the plane on it's belly and clipped the camera underneath the runway. From below the runway is invisible making it look like the plane is flying.

I think I would of caved and gone 12 parts. 3 legs would of been well worth it to save the hassle of landing on that delicate engine. An impressive venture though.

It was for a challenge so I was being fairly merciless with the part count. If only the LV909 had an alternator and decent atmospheric thrust, I could have done it with 6 parts, maybe 5 if I wanted to explosively decouple the lander.

I totally had a version of that craft with landing legs waiting in the wings in case my engine bell landing skills had atrophied.