What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Over the last few days I rescued Didi Kerman from an orbit around the sun beyond dunas orbit.

Normally I don´t accept those contracts, but I´ve got a good friend called Didi, and if she´d ever find out that I left her in space... let´s just say I´d be toast.

BUT: In my career save nukes are banned from manned crafts. At least for now, to make things a little interesting. So I had to get inventive.

1gG8Bnz.png

This is my little Ion powered yacht at the rendezvous with Didis capsule. Later I returned to Kerbin, got lucky with a swingby at the mun and ended up in a 130km retrograde orbit around Kerbin. So for the first time ever I had to launch a SSTO into a clockwise orbit to get Didi home.

WINVKGE.png

First I thougt this mission would be boring, but I learned a lot and gained some confidence for building an Ion powered Duna ship. I´m almost done with designing it and will post some pics soon. (hopefully, if it works ;) )

____________________________________________________________________________________________

On a less serious note,

there has bee an uprising in my sandbox game. Some guy called Kahn Kerman tried to take over my space program. I decided that enough is enough and put him in a ship and banished him and his friends off to duna.

M0hyUe1.png

I´m sure we´ll never hear from them again...

Edited by KerrMü

Had to do an emergency landing after losing an engine, a cargo ramp, a wingtip, and most of the horizontal stabilizer (pitch control). Brakes where tweaked too low and could not slow plane properly, and the airbrakes and flaps sort of broke off. The aircraft skidded down a beach at 50 m/s before finally splashing into the water (this was at 2 seconds a frame mind you).

https://imgur.com/a/UdfNM

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Career mode space train to Duna, waiting for the escape window.

duna_train.jpg

From left to right:

1. Duna/Ike/Kerbin lander

2. Duna ascent stage

3. In-space lab module

4. Liquid fuel for NTR

5. NTR

6. Lander fuel

Unfortunately the stack got the wiggles during assembly and destroyed one of the deployable solar panels on the lander.

I blogged an earlier space train mission to Gilly here.

The boys have been working hard lately so I thought they could use a little downtime... Jeb and Bill went bowling on the mun, you know for scien(tist)ce.

screenshot9_zpsj72n3vdq.png

screenshot10_zpshvb8puup.png

screenshot16_zpsbhif9ogk.png

Yes I know horrible attempt at a horrible pun, I'll show myself out now.

The basic rules for alignments of COM, COL and COT as outlined in my doc in my signature are still valid. Plus i don't see how two pitiful nukes are supposed to get this fat duck into orbit.

There are three jet engines for this. I don't know if it lacks lift or thrust.

There are three jet engines for this. I don't know if it lacks lift or thrust.

That's the X-COM Skyranger isn't it!? Give me some Romulan Ale and I'll make her fly from Paris to New York in half an hour as shown in the game :D

If I'm in a good mood I might even make it VTOL or something lol. Feel free to pm the link to the craft file.

(Probably I will fail, that thing looks far too draggy to pull off spaceplane sheninigans but you know, it will be fun testing the airframe)

Today, I did not play KSP. I found out where Jeb lives in person :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by pandoras kitten

That's the X-COM Skyranger isn't it!? Give me some Romulan Ale and I'll make her fly from Paris to New York in half an hour as shown in the game :D

It is, but it needs a massive redesign to be able to fly while still looking like the original one (The first version of it had shorter wings, like in the game, but it wasn't enough).

It is, but it needs a massive redesign to be able to fly while still looking like the original one (The first version of it had shorter wings, like in the game, but it wasn't enough).

With 67 tonnes at takeoff you're going to want at least five Turbojets for the atmospheric bit and somewhere around 1,000 kN of thrust for the final flight to orbit. You don't have enough thrust. Might also have too much fuel...what are you trying to do with the design, specifically?

Last night I didn't do much; still playing in my second career save. Sent up a tourist on a suborbital flight, cleared a contract slot, picked up a Skipper test contract so I'd have access to Skippers, designed a craft capable of sending more than one tourist up at a time...sent three tourists up and the game promptly replaced those tourist contracts with even more tourist contracts...

Jeb needs to get to Mun already so I can start getting some variety on the money-making contracts score...

I designed a system that helps put the rover back on it's wheels when I inevitably end up flipping it upside down while trying to pop wheelies off of alien dunes. Amazingly it works perfectly. I thought the vernor engines wouldn't be powerful enough, but even testing them out here in the heavy gravity of Kerbin it works fine. I added a heavily reinforced "tortus shell" on the top, because another problem of flipping it is damaging all of the sensitive equipment I usually hold along the top of the thing.

vnLDzqb.png

Rover experiment update: Adding four landing legs worked!

Landing profile:

1. Re-enter

2. Blow aeroshell

3. Coast to safe parachute level

4. Deploy chute

5. Jettison pallet and heat shield

6. Deploy landing legs

7. Land

8. Retract landing legs and drive on my way rejoicing!

Thanks for the tips. :)

Also yesterday, designed a multiprobe stack to deploy all ScanSats and resource scanners in polar orbit of a single target body, and tested it out with Minmus. A few minor redesigns needed, but the concept is sound.

After landing on Duna with 180m/s fuel left yesterday, I topped off the (small)fuel tank and loaded up enough ore for 1.2 more tanks giving me a TWR of roughly 1.5.

Tried some Biome hopping, but my normal ballistic trajectory with a retro-burn and vertical landing was not working with such a low TWR, so loaded back up and finally decided to just go to Ike.

Problem: Attempting to get to orbit with an engine that has heating problems and unable to deploy radiators above 60m/s.

At first I was just doing a normal gravity turn, but upon realizing my engine problems I reversed the turn and then kept killing the engine when it was getting close to over-heating, deploying radiators any time I was going slow enough not to lose them.

Getting to orbit to a *lot* of fuel that way... (not sure I would have made it had I not been refining for most of the ascent).

I did remember to re-pack the ladder-inaccessible chutes I had used for my initial Duna landing.

After setting up nodes for Ike I decided my scansat was not going to be refueled over Duna after all, so I also headed that over towards Ike.

Seems like I'll need to do some testing to see how fast I can go with my radiators extended at which altitudes. (losing radiators when trying to go more than 60m/s within a couple thousand meters of the lowlands surface is my first data-point...)