What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I did a little re-thinking on landing with probes on other worlds. Since there are more then one zone on most planets multiple drops would be fine and can be balance around a core of a ship. This is the latest design (Science mode)

UDLZXpi.jpg

The launch and refueling went well. Next time I will deploy the shielding before deploying the solar panels :-(

uKCHyHi.png

As a note: lately a lot of the aircraft being posted are very nice :-)

I went to Moho for the first time.

2vxrpk9.jpg

Since the jaded pencil pushers and the greedy bigwigs over at Lithobrake Exploration Technologies cut corners and refused to add a fourth seat to their trademark Landing Can, Val was left out. Prospector I had to take off without her.

155riut.jpg

After a pretty large second stage with a Twin-Boar was jettisoned, the quad nuclear engine took over. Jebediah insisted the orange variant carried more fuel so in it went despite the color contrast.

14kfb0i.jpg

The Nuclear Engine's 0.75 Jumbo worth of tanks were more than halfway through at the end of the ejection burn, so a large refueler costing almost as much as the initial vehicle had to be launched. SpaceY Technologies Corporation surely makes its own economy.

2v0k1s2.jpg

The rendezvous happened inside Kerbin's SoI while Prospector I was on an escape trajectory. Tunguska cryo engine did a good job of catching up and then some.

On the way to Moho the last bit of fuel left in the refueler was ran out so I decided it was time to let it go. The refueler clearly felt betrayed, destroying one of my radiator panels in the progress.

2aajxie.jpg

I eventually landed on Moho with 2200 Delta-V yet. I don't know how I'll return but it will probably involve more than one ship.

I had 3 orbiting labs up, 1 around Kerbin, 1 around Mun, and 1 around Minmus. They've been up there for quite a while, generating science. Today, all 3 came home. One of them didn't quite make it ... but oddly enough, it seems they did. Call me confused.

M1uFB81.png

After that, going to the Astronaut Complex I see this...

d9TBTI7.png

Even though they're "dead", they're not ... they're alive and well and available. :confused::rolleyes:

Currently I am working on my biggest shuttle ever. It's so ungodly oversized (I LOVE TweakScale) it barely fits in the VAB both in height and width. The cargo bay can almost fit three orange Jumbo-64 tanks lengthwise and a single sideways. (Two Mk2 CRG-08 cargo bays TweakScaled to 3.75m.) Empty launch weight is close to 700 tons and it can carry roughly 100 tons to low orbit with fuel to spare.

But the cockpit is still Kerbal sized. :D

Pictures will follow soon after I perfected it.

I had a version update related DUH! moment. Built myself a nice Moho probe with nuclear powered transfer stage with 6km/s dv. Was a bit bulky, but no big deal, got it launched, time warped to window and began burn. It was only then when I right clicked on the side drop tanks to monitor the fuel usage that I remembered...nukes only use LF now! All that excess weight in oxidizer...

Well whatever, as long as it gets me where I'm going...

Made a replica of the Messerschmitt 262 using all stock parts... only exception was tweakscaling of said parts otherwise I wouldn't have had the 0.625m jet engine pods on the wings. It's not fast, nor does it climb the highest, but it's a pleasure to fly and has very forgiving flight characteristics. Plus it's pretty :)

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/437199599868663502/32C6B13DA1E6861880B2FE169149EB31804DACC1/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/437199599868664420/D961D420D4375031B572F1A8FC41711E581D5395/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/437199599868667911/F02323B032D8B96FBB319284BD35EE915435083B/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/437199599868668345/97290D1D4905F97668EF016450B07315504183F6/

That is Gorgeous. Just seeing it fly made me smile today. Thanks for sharing!

Now if only someone could make a Do-335 replica... *sighs wistfully*

- - - Updated - - -

Oh Yeah and it Includes THIS:

http://i.imgur.com/wUgd7xO.png

JR

HOLY HECK!!!! :o *awe*

On Kerbin ?

Yep. From past experience Kerbin is one of the harder planets to drive on, due to high gravity and varied terrain. It pounds the heck out of the rovers.

I found that the Mun is far easier due to low gravity, Minmus is harder due to terrain, but easy since you can equip your rover with some jammy RCS thrusters to "leap frog" over rougher spots. Haven't tried anywhere else yet.

Besides, I've done the KSP2 run several times, so I know the terrain. Start with where you know best.

Yep. From past experience Kerbin is one of the harder planets to drive on, due to high gravity and varied terrain. It pounds the heck out of the rovers.

I found that the Mun is far easier due to low gravity, Minmus is harder due to terrain, but easy since you can equip your rover with some jammy RCS thrusters to "leap frog" over rougher spots. Haven't tried anywhere else yet.

Besides, I've done the KSP2 run several times, so I know the terrain. Start with where you know best.

Vall is probably the hardest place to drive. At least with stock parts.

Got a pretty picture of my Antlion

8834e147e1.png

Something I always wondered about when driving on Kerbin (or other atmospheric bodies for that matter) was the possibility of using lifting surfaces for making spoilers on rovers to help keep their tires on the ground while at speed.

Yes it does work

I had to hand-edit my career-mode save to work around some mod-related weirdness.

On a related note, TIL that ShipManifest's crew transfer panel doesn't work on parts that aren't supposed to hold crew, even if the engine wedges a Kerbal into one for a "save $kerbname stranded at $place" contract.

edit: The Kerbal was stuck inside a 1.25m diameter x 0.2m thick heat-blocking engine washer (from one of several thermal-management mods, not sure which).

Edited by Fail-Man 3D
Forgot the punchline

Landed the first part of my Minmus fuel refinery. It tipped over and rolled about a kilometer, but considering that it had no reaction wheels I consider it a win. :) I can always right it once the Kerbals arrive.

I went to Jool for the first time! Kp9l8a6.png Too bad I have no more delta-v and the three brave Kerbonauts will be ejected into an extremely eccentric and inclined orbit with an apoapsis of 200 million kilometers.

Yesterday, I sent another mission to Minmus to get some detailed survey data at a place called "Engineer's Trench". Past missions to Minmus and the Mun have used a specialized lander and separate spacecraft, but that approach was pretty costly and the lander designs not very efficient, so I went with a direct ascent, all-in-one spacecraft this time. It worked pretty well... apart from almost landing on a huge rock on final descent.

6QKDqIi.png?1

Okay, who put that rock there?

The science data gained finally allowed me to unlock the HECS-II probe core, and so today I sent up my first Sentinel telescope:

82l0ieR.png?1

Sentinel 1 lifts off the pad.

XQDVaFX.png?1

Sentinel 1 in low Kerbin orbit, just prior to its Kerbin escape burn.

The telescope is now on its way to a Kerbolar orbit near Eve, and will be joined by two others over the coming year.

My "strip Minmus from as much Science as possible" mission did a safe return to Kerbin with a very kerbal landing. The nukes were still blasting away but the whole scene remained stable. Something like 3-4k science in that lab + ~3k processed and transmitted. Take this, tech-tree!

T86zI9H.jpg