What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

The monolith is on Minmus now? Last I heard it was bugged and hovered a dozen miles above the surface!

Yeah, for the last year or so I've always had a slight worry I'd fly into it while in low orbit. Glad to see it's back on the ground where it belongs.

Not a lot today, adjusted my Jool scansat probe to get a braking fly-by of Tylo.

Watched my Ike Scansat scan for about a month(after nearly finishing the biome map jumped it up to a 755x760 orbit for better high-resolution scanning, now an orbit takes more than 6 hours)

Sent ahead roughly 500 science from the labs on the Duna missions returning home.

I dropped my Class A asteroid in an elliptic orbit, then set one of the over-powered launch vehicles orbiting Kerbin as the target. Realized I was roughly 8 degrees off the equator, so thrusted to re-capture the asteroid until after the orbital adjustment burn(want it to be easy to get to), then dropped he asteroid and went after the launch stage.

As the vehicle design was from 1.0.2 I wanted the extra parachutes on the launch stage to help with a soft landing(and incidentally clean up a big piece of space trash).

Thrusting was difficult as I grabbed it near the middle, and the engine far out-massed the empty fuel containers. Finally just went to the appoaps and brought the periapps inside the atmosphere(~50km) for easier braking.

First pass went fine.

Saved before the second pass as it looked like it would be the landing pass(if I could get it to work.

Attempt 1: got slow enough for drogue chutes and finally parachutes, but when the chutes on the launcher opened, it tore my ship apart, even the parachutes on the cockpit came off, loss of all ands

Attempt 2: continued with my efforts to burn whenever the engine was retrograde or within 90 degrees of vertical to make the descent more gentle, finally hit on the idea of moving most of my fuel to the nose of the launch vehicle, turning the natural inclination from a tumble to launcher-first(perpendicular to the air-stream), tried un-locking the gimbal of the klaw to see if that would help when the chutes opened and adjusted the chutes to fully open at different altitudes: nope

Attempt 3: Adjusted fuel and gimbal early on (before 40km) but during physics warp, engine was ripped off some how. Decided to see if this would allow landing with the chutes I had on-board. Transferred the 'working' fuel I kept on the now-engineless ship to the launcher and released the klaw immediately after opening the first stage of the chutes and released the Klaw: all chutes on the launch stage immediately vanished, causing it to free-fall to the surface. Engine-less ship managed a reasonable touch-down with nothing more apparently falling off/exploding. Recovered and got ~ 300 asteroid science.

Checked the data I had collected from the other asteroid: no reduction. Apparently asteroid samples are per-asteroid per-biome, good to know.(Unless I forgot to collect samples several times and just happened not to have any overlap in what I did collect)

Special note: While I was re-enering with this ship klawed to the side of a larger launch stage, my wife made a comment about 'unless it is roasting like a pig on a spit over an open fire' when I asked if she wanted to see it, so I had to show her my ship on a spit wreathed in reentry flames.

Surprise, fear, and ruthless efficiency? By my count that's three. Or did maths change in the last decade?

Maths hasn't changed in the last decade, but apparently humour has.

- - - Updated - - -

I launched my Eve mission into low Kerbin orbit a few days ago, then this morning sent it on its way. It will fulfill three contracts and probably generate enough science to complete the research tree.

Launch...

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-06%20at%2011.26.39%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-06%20at%2010.59.15%20AM.png

Burning out of LKO...

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%209.16.18%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%209.16.51%20AM.png

http://i.imgur.com/GO4KDeR.png

I told you, I'm practicing everyday! i'm getting better !:D

D'aww :)

Still, beats my day; I've spent 2 hours looking at module manager configs trying to work out how to tweak solar panels, and totally failed. My 'game time' consisted of hyperediting stuff to orbit, clicking, and getting frustrated because the numbers hadn't changed since last time :blush:

http://i.imgur.com/GO4KDeR.png

I told you, I'm practicing everyday! i'm getting better !:D

Keep it up! It gets easier eventually. Well, a little. But then you start doing harder, much more complex things. :D

OT: I sent Jeb up in a spaceplane to do yet another rescue mission while I wait for a transfer window from Eve to Duna for the 'Duna Miner'.

Happy landings!

Surprise, fear, and ruthless efficiency? By my count that's three. Or did maths change in the last decade?

No, you are right. Its three weapons are surprise, fear, ruthless efficiency and almost fanatical dedication to the Kope.

Launched my jumplab to the upper atmosphere, did science, landed in the water and forgot to do the other half of the experiments, before screenshoting a stationary, hovering launch stability clamp at 5700 meters. It kinda made up for the bummer I have to do the water science bit again.

I was hoping we could keep that joke going... oh well.

Last night I remembered how important electrostatic charge efficiency is when flying tourists in LKO, using a Stayputnik robo pod, and not having unlocked the solar panel branch of the science tree. Had just enough power left to get them into the very top of the atmosphere (ie 69,950m). Aerobraked enough to bring them back down to the surface after about 20 orbits, so I thought I'd tick off a few more contracts on the Mun in the meantime.

Coming back to my now descending orbital tourer, it turns out that parachute deployment also requires electrostatic charge. Luckily for the tourists, I don't think they felt anything when they flew into the side of a mountain at 300m/s.

Today I did an expedition to the south pole, despite the heat in here. Well, not much there, just white, boring decals. But if you fly a bit north you'll see beautiful designed mountains and even a Fjord!

This is a bit north from the south pole on the Kerbin side of the planet:

1RkWyfQh.jpg

u6jghX4h.jpg

Lpr5zndh.jpg

And here you see a picture from the island east of the continent where the last shots were taken:

ki02cD8h.jpg

gBDqlk1h.jpg

kWBOkgDh.jpg

A Fjord! Wow!

KvseAhAh.jpg

Uqwm14Zh.jpg

Almost flat lands east of the Fjord.

4mBhNoZh.jpg

View back to the mountains there, on the right you still can see a bit of the Fjord.

pAmpSaFh.jpg

Jeb approves his vacation.

09XpWrAh.jpg

The plane itself is something I built for a speed challange, to become even faster. But it's great to do fast travels to the other side of the planet as well...

Kerbin is really beautiful. I could fly around it all day. I would do the same with Earth, if it weren't so expensive and so bad for the environment.

After that I tried building something like the ESA IXV.

Here it is on its way down:

yDEpb0hh.jpg

A bit bulky, but that's all I could do...

sGYceWah.jpg

Flies pretty great though. Here It's landed with the help of parachutes. But if you pull up at the right moment and bring a gear, it will land on a runway just fine. Had it down to 7 m/s vertical velocity.

9H7yZQqh.jpg

This is the module Jebediah will use to land on Laythe, take scientific samples and return to Laythe low orbit.

It has aerobraking capability plus 8 XL parachutes that I think will reduce speed up to 9.5 m/s.

I also will serve to land on Kerbin. I thought to perform 2 different modules, one to land on Laythe, the other to land on Kerbin, but the deltav saving was too low.

May be I'll add some extra batteries, I think I'm short of electrical capability.

Laythe_lander1.png

Spent a few frustrating days trying to test (yet another) spaceplane. After moving my PC to a new shelf Windows did an auto update. Since then I have had enormous frame lag so I have been fiddling with monitor settings and even reduced the part count to bare minimum without success.

Today I realised I had plugged the monitor back into the on board graphics port instead of the HD graphics card...

At least I have refined the plane design. Tomorrow can only get better! :)

Today I did an expedition to the south pole, despite the heat in here. Well, not much there, just white, boring decals. But if you fly a bit north you'll see beautiful designed mountains and even a Fjord!

I'm not quite sure it has enough crinkly bits to be a fjord...