What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I did this:

bVus91R.jpg

Y'know, theoretically, it can get to orbit, but I don't have the patience to try.

If I did, yes, I know MOAR STRUTS would be in order, but I don't. I may try to find a way to launch it in sections, assemble it in orbit and have less engines.

Landed it!!!

2015-08-14_00002.jpg

In case you can't see it, there's a kerbal by the base.

1133 tons remaining out of some 2500 when the hauling started, with a distant flyby in a highly inclined retrograde direction. My special braking attachments were all torn off at some 23km altitude, not sure if due to air drag or to Kraken. Probably the former; 20 airbrakes vs one Klaw is rather much, especially at some 1800m/s at that altitude.

Luckily they provided enough braking that the asteroid (barely) didn't burn up, crashed into the deserts at some 150m/s and rolled to within some 15km of the shore.

I started a new Big Bang with a ship that reached temperatures in excess of 1043 Kelvin. For comparison, supernovas and gamma ray bursts don't even reach 1015 K - my ship is a thousand trillion trillion times hotter.

Not a lot happened with me today. I've ended up using up all of the space program's budget stocking Kidonia, and now I don't have enough funds to launch any more modules and I have too many active contracts to accept any more. There's also not going to be anything to recover for funds until at least tomorrow, which ordinarily wouldn't be a problem, but the Jool transfer window is already here xP

When last I checked in, I'd been slowly building my Kerbin Orbital Station as a high-orbit transfer point for missions to Mun and Minmus. The KOS is serving nicely as a science platform, but as a stable docking and refuelling platform... not so much. Far too much wobble to keep things together for long, insufficient places for spacecraft or fuel tanks to dock effectively.

Therefore, we need a new station. I'm now partway through constructing KOS 2:

hAQanci.png?1

The core section is much more stable, even with the solar and radiator arrays attached. No crews aboard station so far, but I've also brought up my first Crew Transfer Vehicle, a 6-kerbal transporter with sufficient delta-V to travel to either the Mun or Minmus and back again without refuelling. A second CTV will be going up shortly, along with fuel modules and habitats.

Of course, the CTVs work best if there's a space station at their destinations as well, and I've had a Minmus station contract that needs attention; so...

ZyCXxWH.png?1

...I lofted the Minmus Station core and parked it in a 30 km orbit.

Today I posted the final update for Year 4 of my Kanawha Space Program. Final missions from KSP v1.0.2 and the first several of KSP v1.0.4, meaning lots of fun with heat. Probes! Fires! Explosions! Crashes! Jebediah looking worried!

20150613_ksp0313_fth11.jpg

And now it's onward to Year 5 and all the big projects!

Testing Jool 5 Tylo/Laythe lander. By orbiting Kerbin. Also how much delta-v does it take from Tylo orbit, landing and returning to a 15x15km orbit?

About 5000 m/s for a fairly efficient descent/ascent. If you are planning a Jool-5 you should take a look at Jellycubes' excellent dV map for getting around the Jool system (ignore the Laythe descent/ascent values, though, they're from the old aero system).

About 5000 m/s for a fairly efficient descent/ascent. If you are planning a Jool-5 you should take a look at Jellycubes' excellent dV map for getting around the Jool system (ignore the Laythe descent/ascent values, though, they're from the old aero system).
What luck, my ship has 5182 m/s Thanks

Or if you screw it up like I did, 6000 m/s will get down and then back into an almost orbit, requiring the use of RCS to circularize back into a 20km x 20km orbit. ;)

(I made several mistakes, such as forgetting to stage off the drop-tanks on the way down, etc).

On the plus side I am getting better at de-orbiting to land at KSC. . . . . on the flip side, might be a bit TOO good now.

7oIcY11.png

However I did discover that this dish is its own biome. . . . . wonder if that applies to all three.

On the plus side I am getting better at de-orbiting to land at KSC. . . . . on the flip side, might be a bit TOO good now.

http://i.imgur.com/7oIcY11.png

However I did discover that this dish is its own biome. . . . . wonder if that applies to all three.

yep, according to the Wiki: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbin

The tracking station has these sub-biomes:

• Tracking Station Dish East
  • Tracking Station Dish North
  • Tracking Station Dish South
  • Tracking Station Hub

As far as what I did today, not a lot, I was warping through to the arrival time-frame for my Duna missions(both inbound and outbound) but checking mission control every day or two for new missions.

As I had installed the engine lighting and Asteroid day mods, I got an asteroid day mission, so I built a solar powered Xenon telescope probe.

First time using fairings even.

Needed a couple launches to get it working right then had a nice long ejection burn at 3x physical warp.

Lots of delta-v to change orbits as needed though, even with a twr of 0.11...

Satellite has already found 4 of the 10 needed asteroids and it has not even 10% of the way to Periapps(where it will burn for another 10 minutes to have a 10.30Mmx10.36Mm orbit, a little outside Eve).

I also adjusted the orbits of my Ike scansat probe, and when it was approximately 100% scanned with all instruments on Ike, I moved it to Duna(previously only scanned in a swath around the equator).

Currently finishing the high-resolution scan at approx 760km orbit, should be done well in advance of the new mission arriving, and probe still has almost 5Km/s d-v left.

Hopefully I can find that Craters biome... (only Duna/Ike biome that is not yet explored/exploited with data on the way back to Kerbin)

I spaceplane'd to orbit. Phew. Much trial and error, but in the end Scott Manley provided the guidance, indirectly at least. What a legend.

The Kolovrat VIII.

screenshot31_zpssesac4k0.png

5 tourists had a great time. They even got to watch Valentina tick off the last few things for 2 science contracts.

screenshot30_zpsq3gmhfkx.png

Then they landed at this nice lake. It was totally intentional, not because they ran out of fuel 900km from KSC...not at all xD

screenshot39_zpsed0d5h3b.png

I took a trip in my silly Duna airplane, the DORK (Duna Ore Recon Kite). Flying on Duna used to be a big challenge, now it's extremely easy.

We really need a simple electric propeller in stock. Not so much for Kerbin, but for exploring Eve, Duna, Laythe and Jool. Just one part, doesn't need to be huge.

I designed my first space plane from scratch in Version 1.0. It's a bit radical but it fits in nicely with the rest of my pirate space fleet. I was able to get it into orbit but re-entry was an issue with those jet plane wings on the front and no air brakes, but it's a work in progress.

t00WHrd.png

JR