What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I flew personnel to my station with an SSTO.

http://i.imgur.com/sy3Hkme.png

Such wing! Many lifts! So flap!

But more seriously, it is nice when you get a reliable crew shuttle that doesn't cost you any money except the fuel. Your next task is to ferry two sets of tourists, rescue one or more drifters, and deploy a satellite - from the same plane in the same launch. Then cometh the cash cow :) One suggestion for the plane; put some little 0.625m nosecones on the back of the rapiers. It actually lowers drag and increases atmospheric speed potential. Annoyingly :/

I flew personnel to my station with an SSTO.

http://i.imgur.com/sy3Hkme.png

http://i.imgur.com/WASSk4c.png

This is big news for me because I suck at planes, and it's the first actual (non-test) mission any of my SSTO attempts has ever flown. :D

I would be careful on re-entry with those airliner wings, they are not space safe.

Finally my first brave crew outside Kerbine SOI reached its destination: Duna. They achieved orbit around Duna (completing 5-crew station contract) and did some science in space low and high above Duna. Next stop is orbit around Ike (again completing 5-crew station around Ike) and then Ike's surface. After they complete all their science contract goals at Ike they will return at Duna to land and plant a flag there.

seClKGJ.png

dCFBaSO.png

IY8C3dM.png

JtvjQFE.png

0cZljAO.png

EDIT: Oh for Kraken's sake....trio managed to land on Ike, but their craft toppled down and now they can't leave. Seems they will have to wait for rescue mission. I will still try though, when I open service bay its doors do kick the craft up a bit, if I manage to point the top of the craft in right way and light the engine I may save them.

Edited by Cuky

Getting back to KSP after a couple months off. Still in 1.0.2 since it's working pretty smoothly & I don't want to have the laws of physics change mid-career. Probably just going to wait for 1.1 before starting over.

Working on my first Kerballed interplanetary missions:

50AXVEh.jpg?1

pD5D61Q.jpg?1

Fitting out the Rumfoord expedition to Duna and Ike in LKO. The Rumfoord is just about the biggest ship I've ever built in KSP, and if the Duna expedition is successful it might be refitted for a mission to Jool.

Was also the first mission of the Starlet Mark II passenger shuttle, with upgraded engines, docking lights, and a few other improvements.

Aa9gNYh.jpg?1

Also launched the core module of the much less ambitious Constant mission to Eve and Gilly.

Did an upgrade of Bob's Fireball 7 lander with additional science instruments - a gravioli detector, accelerometer and seismometer, and a ladder for good measure (and easier instrument cleaning) - and shot him off again to try and finish cleaning out Minmus. I decided that while I was at it I'd go ahead and science the hell out of Kerbin's orbit; I still had all the other instruments from the first trek (in case there were still points to pick up), and in many cases I hadn't done any orbital sci. Polar orbit over Kerbin; spent the night cleaning up. When I was done in low orbit, I went ahead and got Bob out to higher orbit and began collecting additional gravioli readings. I've still got three or four more Kerbin biomes to hit there before heading off to Minmus; the transfer might be a touch more interesting than normal - let's say I'm not expecting to hit seven biomes once I get out there this time around...

Also replaced the capsule with a Mk1 Lander can and added some slap-on solar panels. Overall the capsule's got roughly the same amount of delta-V as it did before, but it should be far more capable than it was.

I sent Jeb to Duna and he will arrive sometime next year. Oops, I meant, Mars. I guess Real Life has RSS installed.

Actually... I have not attempted interplanetary transfers yet, but NASA will do it for me :D You can add your name to the InSight mission to be sent to Mars on a data chip until 8 September 2015. http://mars.nasa.gov/participate/send-your-name/insight/

QUO4xol.jpg

I finished fueling the Kallichore with just under 100k units of water from my Minmus water mine

She's now ready for her first mission / shake down voyage to Duna.

The process revealed some weaknesses in the Ground based operation, namely my tanker rover is too small. . . . time to design and launch a replacement.

uHaGkhS.png

Here's a shot of one of the landers in sitting snug in a cargobay

2cw622h.png

Did a few things.

First my rescue ship was launched, rescued a stranded kerbal(to pay for the launch) and then was klawed by the Duna Mission ship. Bob got out and transferred as much science as possible to the rescue ship then I sent the engineer and most of the scientists to go home n this reentry-safe vessel, leaving Val(who piloted the rescue vessel which will return using a probe core), Bob and another scientist who's seat was stolen by a tourist.

After everyone was transferred, I detached the 'reentry assistance pod' from the rescue vessel and klawed it with the Duna Mission vessel.

The rescue vessel landed safely, then, inspite of some white knuckles and prayers for the Klaw to hold, the Duna Mission ship also landed safely, only needed a few seconds of main engine burn to land below 8m/s

Rescue images:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

(Yes, the reentry assistance pod had 16 air brakes, 8 drogue chutes and 16 chutes. Don't know if the ship-mounted chutes being still set for Duna and so fully opening around 5km kept the podt from being ripped out of the klaw when the pod chutes opened or not)

After some conversations with Bob and the other scientist on the way down, Val decided that Duna was not a big challenge and she did not want to be the only orange suit to be left out.

So, while waiting for the second Duna mission to make it's way from Minmus to Kerbin, Val set off in the 'Grand Training', based on the Grand Tour Jeb and Bill are taking around the system, but with a Mk3 crew module to haul along 15 additional Kerbals in need of training up to 4 stars(plus room for picking up one Kerbal stranded on Ike).

As there had been a few rescues, everyone with fewer than 3 stars were loaded into the passenger module, along with all the engineers and most of the scientists with 3 stars(with Val and a few other 3-star female pilots to help gender-balance the crew).

First stop was Mun for the trainees to plant flags, and now, after a sling-shot around Kerbin, they are all on their way to Minmus to top off the fuel, (plant a few more trainee flags,) and set out for Duna.

Was your FPS higher than 2? :P

No. It wasn't. That thing is currently over 1100 parts and will probably push near 2,000 when finished.

I mean....I got this much resolution for the gif by pressing F1 a bunch. It isn't a video capture.

dJulOam.gif

Working on my first Kerballed interplanetary missions:

http://i.imgur.com/50AXVEh.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/pD5D61Q.jpg?1

Fitting out the Rumfoord expedition to Duna and Ike in LKO. The Rumfoord is just about the biggest ship I've ever built in KSP, and if the Duna expedition is successful it might be refitted for a mission to Jool.

Off to find the Sirens of Laythe, are you? ;)

G'day, I just happened to finish my ambitious tiny little non spacefaring cinematic ahead of schedule, so I'll share it here before I faint in my pillows for the rest of the day.

I'll document it in the proper forums later. It's a collaboration between various newer craft builders and a few good folks from the major KSP Facebook groups out there.

The video showcases near-OCD levels of attention to detail in craft construction - sometimes we have the mood to not go into space on purpose :)

Took a break from Munar exploration and fired up my "playground" anything goes save. I made a basic space station and hyperedited into orbit. then I made a "kill vehicle" and hyperdited that into orbit. I wanted to see what happened when the kill vehicle shot projectiles consisting of a small amount of fuel and as many engines an sepratons as I could fit onto it was fired at the space station for fun science, yes Science!

The kill vehicle with two projectiles:

igP6txO.png

Shot one away and running:

3672jN9.png

Impact!:

7KtOzUe.png

Shot 2 impact:

0imud4C.png

Finally the kill vehicle accelerates to finish the job off. After the third impact, both vessels were completely destroyed.

ebuVV0b.png

The light! It burns us!

Anyone know how to repair a permanently burned spot on my monitor?

I flew some probes around, finished some contracts. Also got some Kerbals on the other side of Kerbin's SOI for the first time. It is the maiden voyage of the Space Bus II ... larger than the original, with a MPL and room for 9 Kerbals. Larger also meant adding more parachutes for the re-entry, and landing legs because ... why not? :D

szIGZOal.png

On the other side of the SOI:

yaK9XHtl.png

So far from home ...

UUAlMO4l.png