What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

designed and launched 2 probes with scanning equipment. one for duna orbit with some science equipment on board, it's now in lko waiting for a transfer window.

the other one for minmus, carrying the orbit scanner thing and 2 rovers with surface scanning equipment. it made it safely to polar orbit but when i tried to scan "no antenna can't transmit data". so i installed KAS/KIS and sent a crew of 3 up there for training and to attach an antenna. after the scan i landed one rover but unfortunatly it seems like the biggest ore concentration in that part of minmus is on a steep slope. i hope the other one can find a flatter spot with good ore concentrations so i can start mining after i unlock the drill with the science from the duna probe

I managed to recover my trio from Ike's surface (Jeb, Bill and one white suit scientist) but in the process their craft has lost docking port with which they were supposed to dock to transfer vehicle. As without that docking port safe continuation of mission is impossible they all abandoned their craft and took shelter in crew cabin on transfer vehicle together with 2046,3 science they managed to collect until now. They have abandoned Duna landing and are now waiting for transfer window back to Kerbin. New crew will launch on the way to Duna in craft of same design as this one 20 days before they start their journey back to Kerbin. That 2nd crew won't go to Ike, they will just land on Duna, do what contract wants them to do and return home.

Also, I have launched a probe which will be the furthest craft I have ever sent with destination at Jool. I based it loosely on Juno probe.

On pictures below you can see transfer craft in which crew is waiting to return home from Duna, deployment test of Jool-1 on launch pad and launch of Jool-1

oOB2L4v.png

mSgNkvX.png

GR6AQxx.png

5apXKKR.png

Just a couple quick things.

Landed/refueled/flagged/launched my Grand Training mission on Minmus, so now the 1 and 2 stars should have all the Kerbol SOI XP, then headed out for Duna/Ike. Lousy transfer of > 200 days, but I am hopeful I will be able to make a mid-course correction and get it there sooner.

Before doing that however, I managed my closest ever rocket landing, only a couple hundred meters from the edge of the runway(possibly less as I was actually concerned I might land on the sloped part).

When I recovered, I got > 18,000 science(every biome on Duna and Ike except for the Duna Craters using all stock instruments plus Roverdude's 4 Sounding Rockets mini-experiments). Let me fill in every unfilled node on the community tech tree that needs less than 2250 science. I think I now have fewer than a dozen unpurchased nodes, including that 10K one on the end.

While waiting for a humungous spaceplane to make orbit (frame by frame) I was trawling the threads here and came across Dr Farnsworth's Chipmunk and Meerkat ( http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/33312-Showcase-SSTOs!-Post-your-pictures-here/page324 )

It suddenly dawned on me that I had a potential SSTO in the BizJet I used to ferry Kerbals to the North Pole yonks ago. After substituting Rapiers for the turbojets and fiddling with the fuel/Ox ratios I now have a 6 kerbal SSTO and a mini cargo SSTO capable of putting 2tonnes in 150x150km equatorial orbit:

DEGNtqLh.png

Left to right: The original BizJet; the BizOPAX 6-seater and the BizOFreight cargo carrier.

70% of my old SSTOs are now obsolete. Small really is beautiful.

Rep to Dr Farnsworth!

While wondering to put the rear facing monoprop thrusters I hit on this idea as an alternative to nosecones:

OfSwO64h.png

I experimented with the front facing ones with 1 on the tip of the nose or 2 in the wing roots. Doesn't seem to make much difference to the drag so I stuck with the 2 in the wing roots and fitted an antenna to the nose.

Edited by percyPrune

Last night I docked a refueling probe to the Storax 7 in Munar orbit and successfully transferred sufficient fuel to bring home a group of tourists. Gathered enough science from the flight to finish filling out the 180 tier and bring myself roughly up to par with where I was in my old game, enough to bring some of those same designs into play. Launched a Stratofortress 7a with Jeb and a group of tourists to do a flyby of Minmus, and fulfilled an orbital space station contract in the process. Jeb's group will arrive in about 13 days. Meanwhile, Bob finished his high orbit gravioli scans, and now he's on his way out to Minmus and should arrive in eleven days. I was able to replace the station contract with a contract to drill ore from Minmus, so my final launch of the night was Sojourner 7, my first ore-scanning satellite. All in all, three flights to Minmus. Also got a flag-planing contract for Minmus; since Kacella was already en route to arrive in three days, she'll no doubt fulfill that contract when she arrives.

Minmus. Minmus, Minmus, Minmus. Minmus again.

Actually... I have not attempted interplanetary transfers yet, but NASA will do it for me :D You can add your name to the InSight mission to be sent to Mars on a data chip until 8 September 2015. http://mars.nasa.gov/participate/send-your-name/insight/

http://i.imgur.com/QUO4xol.jpg

My kids & I were sent to Pluto on New Horizons (same NASA program), but gosh-darn-it it looks like we overslept our stop...

- - - Updated - - -

...must'a been heck of a job carrying all the parts up the stairs and re-assembling it. Those darn interns and their pranks... Bet Bob was looking for his car for a week.

:D

- - - Updated - - -

Still in 1.0.2 since it's working pretty smoothly & I don't want to have the laws of physics change mid-career. Probably just going to wait for 1.1 before starting over.

I think there are many of us in this boat!

The Laythe plane finally made it to Kidonia:

7mRWyBkl.png

...must'a been heck of a job carrying all the parts up the stairs and re-assembling it. Those darn interns and their pranks... Bet Bob was looking for his car for a week.

Psh. The Mako jumped up there by itself ^^

Edited by parameciumkid

I decided to simplify my Mun station. tThe old one was built as much for looks as for practicality and lagged a bit. Instead of doing multiple assembly launches, I decided to put the SpaceY stuff to good use and launched the entire thing at once. I'll probably launch a second section with more fuel tanks, but for now it has enough fuel on board to support another Munar Explorer expedition. The Explorer its self was fully refueled with the remaining fuel on the old station.

10... 9... 8... 7...

QZyTyOD.png

The Explorer and a CSM docked to the new station.

wulCL69.png

Mk II Munar Lander being delivered to the Explorer:

WWprPjc.png

Big orange tank to orbit - in style.

ZwsbOY5.png

Finally this thing does everything I wanted it to. Like get into an 200+km orbit, reenter without flipping (that was a problem), land and that sort of stuff.

And now I have to collect all those orange tanks that clutter the orbit from all the test flights. :D

At first it was all fun and games. Having fun in our party boat.

RVbw3Uv.png

Then Valentina found the Kwhiskey. an hour later, Bill, Bob, and Jeb shouted "Don't to it! It's not worth it!"

tQ7aMi8.png

*sniff* Poor Valentina, poor, Naive Valentina. Remember kids, Don't drink Kwhisky and fly rockets at the same time.

HVmnaLh.png

An old creation of mine slightly updated for the latest patch. I added some ore bins but then they obstructed the hatch for the driving compartments... but at least the science module guys can get out. Oh well, there's always the next version.

The landing was a bit of a nightmare. I ran out of fuel about 1000m up, the transfer stage became a crumplezone.

But the station actually landed 100% intact.

This is Gigas III

screenshot107.png

Did another 40km with 4004 and her crew :) including a 20km jaunt driving short hood first which oddly let her stay at 40m/s without damage..

we're nearing the site where 4008 was lost in a system format.. the beautiful snow capped mountain.. approaching 150+km now soon to be making her own route rather than following that of her lost sistertrains..

gLReqyS.jpg

Today?

20150821_25_jeb.jpg

Today a giant Jebediah joined my burgeoning KSP nerd shrine. Except somebody sealed him up in a plastic bag! Might explain why he's so pale..... (Some kind soul poked a hole or two in the bag before shipping. And yes, I did eventually free him from the plastic. Still pale. Not as bad as it looks in this photo though.)

Not really sure where Giant Jeb is supposed to go... doesn't fit into the language section of my bookshelf very well.

Also, I posted the First Update for Year 5 of my Kanawha Space Program: Researching the North Pole! I'm building a small research station to study the lack of oxygen and temperature at Kerbin's Poles. That also includes a mining rig to generate fuel for the aircraft I use to ferry the researchers to and from the polar ice. And a bit of infrastructure to make it all work.

20150712_ksp0084_norpohab.jpg

Research is a bit... on the slow side.

20150718_ksp0179_npre1.jpg

You need a decent amount of data in there to get good science returns. try filling it up to 400 mits and see how you get around 4 science per day

Oh I know. My lab at Eve is chock full of data and will probably finish out the tech tree. But Kerbin, by Year 5, was almost completely dry of science data and so the lab had nothing to start with. (They're not really there for the science points though.)