What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

This weekend will be housekeeping weekend!

Pretty much going to go through various social media accounts, make a facebook fan page, toss up non potato KSP screenshots on Instagram, and I really have to go through my dozens of craft release threads and get them updated.

Is it a good idea to have a single 'kitten's space program' hangar thread instead?

Oh, where are my manners, here have a pretty screenshot.

VbsB1bD.jpg

Big orange tank to orbit - in style.

Finally this thing does everything I wanted it to. Like get into an 200+km orbit, reenter without flipping (that was a problem), land and that sort of stuff.

And now I have to collect all those orange tanks that clutter the orbit from all the test flights. :D

Nice plane, I like the idea of building the "wing" using MK II parts :D

But I like your little construction tug even more. Very stylish

Research is a bit... on the slow side.

I like that you delivered it to Kerbin with a skycrane instead of just parachutes xD

But alas, Kerbin surface is the worst place for a science lab to be :< Kerbin orbit isn't so bad; with 3 scientists, mine's sending back 8 per day. It's still slow on an absolute, but it's a good multiplier and it's a nice steady feed :)

Today I did 2 things:

1. I have finally sent Jool-1 mission on its way. It should be smooth sailing frome here on

Tu0njob.png

2. I have launched core module of a station at Kerbin that I got contract for

u6T70rg.png

One of solar panels did not deploy, as it reports that it can't be deployed while stowed, though fairings are clearly gone (I am using procedural fairings). For roleplaying purpose, I am pretending that G-Force was too high during launch and that it got damaged. I have nothing to worry though, as large solar trusses are planned for this station.

BvGSxPr.jpg?1

Sent up my last expendable Aqualung Mark I tanker ship (the triple-T45 clusters in the boosters were marginally more cost-effective than Skippers).

LOADXq9.jpg?1

Assembled a 12-Kerbal, 4-part surface station for a contract...

N7TyTGd.jpg?1

...and landed it on the Mun as Base Ardan, where it is now happily producing completely unnecessary science (as I filled out the tech tree ages ago).

eCreRau.jpg?1

Launched the prototype Mark III fully-reusable Aqualung.

This is not really from today, but from last week. My new space station!

I really wanted a torus station, but I had to do some planning and it needed assembling in space afterwards.

Let's start with the base. I used a Hitchhiker container with four regular sized docking ports for it:

KAe5BdPh.jpg

Then I attached some structural fuselages to them, which had to be clipped afterwards. Here you see the fuselages as the ring structural segment:

Ndm4bV2h.jpg

Attached to them are MK2 crew cabins bent around. (Actually these are no regular crew cabins anymore. Like NASA used upper stage tanks for SkyLab the crew cabins are used here for the station crews private quarters. So they can work and live in gravity).

4hM6dXgh.jpg

Later on I added a lab, some solar panels and control units to the core.

To get everything into space I had to do three launches. The first stage brought the center element and the structural elements:

OapqvEIh.jpg

Which I then assembled in space:

PlJHhq4h.jpg

Here the main station part:

jhFGfV2h.png

After that launch II and III brought up the ring segments. They are almost the same, only small differences, like the Accelerometer and the Gravioli detector. Both not impressed by the rotation of the station...

FJaFgCEh.jpg

QmtGi7lh.jpg

First ring segment gets attached:

TLHhd37h.jpg

Third and fourth segment arrive at the station:

9IeraXeh.jpg

My space tug and a ring part on their way to the station:

51cgKuih.jpg

The third part fits perfectly:

Pzt41Jbh.jpg

The last ring part on its way. It was pretty far out, because the rocket driffted off. Next time it will get tied to the station.

trLGfXwh.jpg

Almost there!

yH2PfIDh.jpg

Now don't ask me why I didn't take a picture of the finished torus... I think I just forgot. But it's not done here anyway.

Next thing on the list: A badass docking port. I think it looks impressive enough. You can see the full torus ring on the picture as well:

01QFbw8h.jpg

But that's not all. Such a big station needs escape pods! So I built a small space plane with six seats, which has just enough fuel to undock from the station and make a reentry. It flies really really well. Very good reentry behaviour, precise steering, and everything without an engine, just a shuttle down. I did some "simulations" with them, thanks to hyperedit...

It uses just monopropellant to break. The CoL is slightly behind the CoM, which makes a great atmospheric behaviour. But this only applies if the monopropellant tanks are completely empty. Which is a bit more than you'd need for reentry, but better safe than sorry and stuck in orbit. And if the station ever has to be evacuated the handbook says to burn all the monopropellant.

FidVxl1h.jpg

2DbINPph.jpg

Now, the resuce crafts need a docking port, which is on the other side of the regular one. Since the station is allowed to house 12 Kerbals it was necessary to bring two crafts. They both came with the same rocket, already docked to the rescue segment of the station:

gAurm1gh.png

Now the station is complete:

h7u8Kwih.jpg

But wait. A station without Kerbals is a dead station. So I took Lucy for a ride. I think it was Lucy VII. I use the same design over and over again with slight modifications. This one has just enough fuel to get to the station. Deorbiting was done on monopropellant only...

Arriving on the dark side of Kerbin at a dark station. Nobody home, no lights on, a bit spooky.

0TpbFcih.jpg

Finally docked, need to find the light switch:

pf74maVh.jpg

I think Jorbald found it. It looks like a fun place to be fully illuminated!

kN8dJUZh.png

Soon it is time to say goodbye to the scientists and undock from the station to fly home. Jebediah and Bob have to get ready for a mission to Eve.

2SbYIoOh.png

One last look, and then it's time to plan the deorbiting manouver. It's peaceful out there.

yeSvv0oh.png

Got bored watching a film, and drew a sprite-set for my modular launch solution in career mode.

These four launchers are all I need in my career mode as it stands; I have a small, functional research station in low Kerbin orbit to service, and I've just started flying manned missions to the Mun (after extensive automated probing - my tech tree is almost all unlocked and I've only just set foot on the Mun today!)

8JWb6Di.png

Today I launched my latest iteration of my contract probe. Up until now, I've been using the service bays exclusively and putting in all the science instruments, batteries, etc. for a nice smooth, sleek. look. This time I thought I'd go for as lumpy as possible. It's got a mix of .625 and 1.25m parts and little bits and pieces stuck all over. Not very sleek, but I kind of like it. Once up into orbit it has about 2800m/s of delta-v, plenty for any probe contracts around Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus. It is also fully returnable to Kerbin, with parachutes, heat shield, and landing legs. I'm figuring if I throw enough probes at Kerbin, I'll eventually get the science in all the biomes.

At the launch pad:

HLE2Swfh.png

Gravity Turn:

jvVNkmXh.png

In orbit and ready to go to the MUN to fulfill an orbit contract:

6tJihW1h.png

Continuing to replace my space stations with bigger, automated ones. This one I had some fun with and positioned over the KSC at exactly 2,868.7 km. Then time accelerated a few orbits. I'm somewhat surprised to say I may have actually gotten it keo-stationary... 20 orbits so far and it hasn't budged a bit. :0.0:

bdK2tEy.png

Sent Edburry Keman to prove that it was possible to complete a full circuit of keban on one tank of fuel. Using a new big wing design. Made to the a KSC landing in 3 (days??) hrs from take off. Cruised at 14000m most of the way....

screenshot506.pngfront_BV-II-air_1.pngfront_BV-II-air_2.png

Edited by algwat
days or hours ...?

Sent Edburry Keman to prove that it was possible to complete a full circuit of keban on one tank of fuel. Using a new big wing design. Made to the a KSC landing in 3 (days??) hrs from take off. Cruised at 14000m most of the way....

One time, back in like... 0.18 or something, I set off to complete this same challenge, but took an approach that was much more extreme. :P

I put a poor dude in a machine that looked more like a missile than a plane, and catapulted him out of the atmosphere using a single aerospike on a near-orbital path with a high apoapsis. A couple of minutes later he reached the Apo, where I did a prograde burn that put his trajectory right on track towards KSC.

Reentry was particularly rough, but after that it was just some smooth cruisin' until the strip.

Doing stuff like that is fun from time to time, but nothing beats cruising around the planet in a slow beater plane. :3

Started playing BD Armory mod for week now and made the War Plane, it was a weird fitting, stripped it and refurbished today.

Mimicking the boss level of air fortress superiority i hope to use it as a practice target, with high amount Anti-Air, Anti-Ground defenses onboard. Too bad the AI can be sucks at flight path.

x9HV9wJ.jpg

hGljuhi.jpg

I have completed contract that asked me to build a Station in Kerbins orbit. After core module that was launched yesterday, today I launched a permanent science module that docked on core's rear and cargo vehicle carrying 2000 units of LF that was docked on bottom docking port. Cargo vehicle will stay there for just a short period and station will receive more modules later.

uwWrG1C.png

5XOljzM.png