What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

months after the fact, finally got around to starting my 1.0 game. it's good to be back. selected samples:

screenshot6.png

never realized this thing was so big from the screenshots. i guessed that i landed within a few hundred meters of it but it was actually 2.5 km away, and as tall as a house. i used almost exactly one full EVA tank on the round trip.

screenshot12.png

transfer burn to Moho coincided almost exactly with this brief eclipse.

screenshot13.png

identical copy of the same spacecraft on a sun skimming mission. still getting used to the idea that things can actually absorb heat in this game, now; didn't install any radiators. by carefully angling the spacecraft i brought the thermal flux under control for the final approach. it got within about 520,000 km before burning up, and completed all science objectives.

Back to my 1.0.2 career, all the preparations finally starting to pay off.

AGEPh4E.jpg?1

Assembled and fitted out, the Rumfoord, with a crew of eight commanded by Bill, finally departs Kerbin for Duna and Ike.

TU87v3P.jpg?1

Unsatisfied with a cumbersome "engineers' mission" like the Rumfoord being the first to Duna, Jeb and Val secretly converted an old expendable booster into a one-shot, one-seat, five-stage, direct-ascent Duna rocket. Cleverly disguised as an Aqualung tanker ship, the rocket was rolled out a few days after the Rumfoord burned out of orbit. Since it has only one seat, they flipped for it; Val won. She launched on a faster trajectory than the Rumfoord and is now on course to encounter Duna several days ahead of Bill's ship.

jvmkbXQ.jpg?1

In the meantime, the Constant finally arrived at Eve...

hLE2j0i.jpg?1

...encountered Gilly...

V3lHmg6.jpg?1

...and sent mission commander Shannon Kerman--veteran of my Elcano challenge Munar circumnavigation--down to the surface by EVA to plant Kerbal-kind's first flag (in any of my saves) outside the Kerbin system.

I discovered to my frustration that I won't have a good launch window to Duna for the better part of a Kerbal year, so Duna One will remain parked at the refuelling station for a while yet. I'll make the most of the opportunity to continue testing the design and plan. To that end, I sent my precursor lander complex with three "minilanders" to Minmus on a test mission (Minmus standing in for Ike), to be followed by a test of my kerballed Ike lander. I'll also test atmospheric entry and landing procedures as best I can, but unfortunately Kerbin's not all that good a stand-in for Duna in that respect.

I launched four communications satellites to KSO, in anticipation of possible communications changes in 1.1.

Also dodged what I think was the "NaN Kraken" by getting out of KSP and back in again. Unsettling to see everything seem to disappear...

My thirty minutes of game time yesterday were spent getting Nina down to the surface of Minmus to collect science from the Flats and Poles, the two biomes that Bob was unable to get to on his previous trip to the surface of Minmus. That'd be crew reports, EVA reports, surface samples, material bay readings, goo readings, temperature and pressure tests. She's headed back to Kerbin now and should return in four days - I plan on getting Whiplash engines unlocked with the science I expect her to bring back from the trip. She got a fair amount of science from Kerbin before heading out there; I don't quite remember what all she collected. Meanwhile, Bob is headed back that way for gravioli and seismometer tests; he'll arrive in seven days.

Bill, meantime, has arrived in orbit of Mun to begin rescuing the crew and passengers of Superfortress 7. Rescue operations to commence this evening; going to be liquefying some tourists to pump them on out...

Came back to KSP after a break in the last few days. Did a couple of routine maneuvers, gave up (for now) on making a spaceplane, put up an orbit tourist with a cheap disposable rocket to get a new contract generated, then did a Mun landing for some contract completions. But I jarred the landing legs, and now two of them are stuck open, and I don't have a level 2 engineer. The solution is obvious:

QSXqQ2.png

ht4Z3i.png

Build and launch a new rocket!

rKOx89.png

q1o8vh.png

The lifter is all liquid fuel, and an unusual sequence. First the five Reliants fire, each only burning off its own tanks. Then, the central pillar's first stage runs dry, and is dropped. The Swivel second stage fires, and feeds off the tanks of the four radial boosters. Then they drop, and the rocket coasts to its apoapse before circularising. I sent it to rendezvous with Stopover Station.

SdJe1z.png

Inside the fairing is a slightly overengineered Mun lander, an orbital module, and a small satellite probe. The probe has over 3km/s of delta-v, so it should be easily capable of getting a satellite contract just above Mun's orbital height, then one around Minmus, and then taking several Minmus orbit temperature readings in specific locations. Bill was sitting in the lander can.

oZCccb.png

JphvUD.png

I used a monopropellant passenger tug to transfer a Mun tourist to the ship, then set off, letting the probe get to its target orbit separately.

67eFMy.png

Bwg8QG.png

I got orbit, then suborbital, then back to a parking orbit (to fulfill the tourist's list), and then Bill landed. He planted his flag, then got back in the lander and took off. I'm now waiting for the rendezvous with the orbital module, and then it'll be time to head back.

In the mean time, I also did a targeted landing on Minmus for a survey contract, landing contract, and science from the surface contract, using the lander already placed in Minmus orbit, and the newly arrived scientist aboard SixFerry. SixFerry is now on its way back with said scientist, along with four tourists whose lists are now complete. They'll dock with Stopover Station, and I'll use the shuttles and descent pods to get them down safely.

Launched a hydrogen fueled Fuel tanker to Moho so that my Grand Tour will be able to land and refuel. (largest VASMIR engine from Near Future mod, ISP is like 16K on the lowest thrust setting giving like 30km/s with a payload of 1200 liquid fuel for the Grand Tour vessel, but very long burn times...)

My Eve Scansat arrived, and I played around to get as much coverage as possible(Low resolution and biome scans complete, currently working on finishing the high-resolution scan before moving to Gilly)

Fuel tanker arrived at the Moho SOI only to discover that it was an hour over-due to start it's burn, fortunately my latest save was only a couple days of Eve scan passes earlier, so I was able to set a better alarm(I guess KAC either does not like VASMIR burns or does not like burns where the burn needs to start an hour before even entering the SOI where the burn is centered)

Managed to do about 3km of the 9km burn before the wife pointed out what time it was(she objects to me getting less than 6 hours of sleep a night, something about not wanting to be married to a zombie or some such. Might be why she regrets getting me KSP for my birthday...)

Tonight I'll see if I can get the tanker into Moho orbit before our gaming group arrives...

(I can see the Grand tour when I am in the map view, it is about 20 days out from Moho. If I can verify that ISRU makes the right fuel for my VASMIR engine, I may dock and circularize with that engine to save even more fuel)

strapped jebediah into a mk1, on a mammoth, under a heatsheild, with a couple of large radiator panels. Turned on infini fuel cheat. lit the fuse and watched the g forces wrap back around to green again.

ksc to edge of soi in 16 mins, speed 185.8 km/s.

I know I'm not the first to do it... but it is kind of neat, and illustrative of how freaking big space is.

Today I have launched upgraded version of Duna Transfer Craft, simply named DTCv2. Instead of Hitchiker compartment there is now inflatable habitat. Fuel will be brought up by 2 cargo ship launches.

4XZfrGW.png

Later Valentina launched on new craft on her way to the Minmus to plant a flag there as wanted by contractors. Her 2nd objective was to complete a contract of rescuing Rany Kerman from Mun's orbit. Everything went smoothly until it was time to land. Instead of throttling up I accidentally staged and so she lost her propulsion module. I took her on EVA and landed gently on Minmus, but she had no way to return home. In spite of that she completed her duties and planted a flag. Immediately I launched that same craft, this time it was Jedrod in command. He landed some 15km away from Valentina and she used her EVE pack to fly to Jedrod. They both took off, rescued Rany from Mun's orbit and returned home safely. Few pics from those 2 trips in spoiler:

gWYiSv8.png

uUteoMg.png

IYKSwrp.png

odcBIG9.png

03UUyr2.png

In other news, I have canceled all long term projects with immediate effect. Missions that are in progress, like surface base to Eve, probe to Jool and crew that waits at Duna to return will still continue, as well as 2nd crew to Duna that should be back home before probe reaches Jool. After I finish those missions I won't have active crafts with FTP mod parts so it will be safe for me to upgrade to new version. I will also not have any crew in flight so I will install TAC LS mod. While waiting I will still try and complete truss segment of my station.

Continued my scansat and Kerbal construction time modded career( as well as the usual mods) that I started earlier in the week. Had to scrap a few missions due to vessels falling apart upon loading in the launch pad. Cancelled a 'recover from orbit' contract due to it being a small mkIV peice where my probe would just fly right the the middle no matter what. I then used that probe to recover a Kerbal from high retrograde orbit and had to burn nearly all my RCS ( I tend to make simple probes that run on RCS to recover things in LKO) before the one lucky engine had enough dv to match velocities.

Last mission was to scan minmus as well as get delicious science. Got my intercept with a mostly polar orbit and then attempted to launch an identical vessel for the mun, but it just fell apart. After scan orbiting and landing on minmus I did some quick calculations and figured I should have enough to transfer to the mun, scan it, land, take off, and return back to kerbin. So I did just that and even completed an 'orbit the mun in a specific orbit' mission along the way, and the whole mission only took 116 days. duna probe is waiting for transfer window

I tested revision 6 of my new Eve SSTO.

Everything was going okay, until MechJeb suddenly decided to land on the opposite side of the planet while less than a kilometer from the ground.

I almost salvaged the landing manually, but a non-obvious slope caused the vehicle to fall over.

Unreasonably huge picture, taken during final approach.

Not much today. Kraken ate jet another of my Eve-bound vehicles and it was again just before SOI change. It split my base in two and both parts were well outside Eeloo's orbit with NaN for speed. I think I will redesign whole base for next try, make it much simpler so maybe then there won't be any problems.

After that loss I have launched a satellite for a contract in retrograde equatorial orbit around Kerbin.

Last but not least: this morning I designed and proceeded with testing for a rover that will be sent to Ike in the same transfer window when crew sets of to Duna. On launch pad I tested its delivery system that will land it on the surface of Ike:

nwbyBOE.png

I've been playing this game since last December. Landed on the Mun fairly early on, which was nice, but somehow the biggest "first" for me was always going to be putting a Kerbal on Duna. (This has been delayed by a combination of my over-cautious career-mode play and the fact that I like to "earn" achievements in career before repeating them in sandbox.) Anyway, yesterday my first two manned expeditions to Duna finally arrived:

x1hDRi4.jpg?1

Although she was launched second, Val took a faster trajectory and arrived first. The parachutes didn't save quite as much fuel during the descent as expected...

TMK9guK.jpg?1

...but the landing was successful! (Although the rocket is sitting at a worrying angle.)

QYQ820O.jpg?1

Finally!

SteGv9w.jpg?1

A few days later, the Rumfoord aerobrakes into Duna orbit. Although Val was the first to land, the Rumfoord will collect orders of magnitude more science. It's already gotten a lot just from processing data through its lab during the transit. Much more will follow once the main landing craft--Kazak--returns from the surface.

M5XewKm.jpg?1

In the meantime, two now-antiquated Jool Orbiters, launched years ago, finally arrive and begin surveying the Jool system (my first missions to arrive there in any save). Jool Orbiter II, which was launched second but arrived first, has so far completed flybys of Tylo, Laythe, and Pol, and is now on course for a Vall encounter.

ouKf8zX.jpg?1

Jool Orbiter I, on the other hand, got in trouble when the map failed to anticipate a Tylo encounter. The probe had to expend most of its fuel to redirect itself via Tylo into a stable orbit of Jool--and then had to use the rest to avoid crashing into Tylo! It came within a hundred meters of the surface (!) and burned the last of its fuel, but it did end up in a stable orbit of Jool with periapsis low enough for "space near Jool" science.

Edited by Hotaru

made my first spaceplane. no cargo, just 6 kerbals to orbit and back.

5927EF130863A833E4ACE5A391A744E8E9B8FD12

after some tweaking it actually worked although i ditched in the ocean upon landing and it broke in half. second flight was with some tourists and somewhat by chance managed to set it down on the runway in one piece apart from the canards which exploded on re-entry

804620849B3186415CD818D3D709661C9BA0404F