What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I decided to build yet another space station. It will take about 10-15 launches to get everything up to the 420km orbit.

http://i.imgur.com/KVyHkI1.png

I've already launched 1/3 of the station using this rocket. I think I can use it for about 90% of the total station. Each payload has a T-100 tug attached. Very reliable setup for RO RSS.

http://i.imgur.com/Ts4rSc8.png

Here's some of the station being designed. I will then break it up for deployment.

Which mod(s) are those station parts from?

Space stations here too. With the addition of the Interim Solar Array my Harvester Station is fully operational with research being conducted on board.

21192640692_38c84c3891_h.jpg

It's also already a lagfest. I want that interim array replaced already. Might get KIS then I can fit some proper solar panels to the station core instead of docking an array.

Worked on a new smaller SSTO... this one has 2 turbojets and 2 nerv's... she did fantastic up to 26,000 meters, but not so great getting to 35,000 meters, where the nerv's really kick in. Might just be the way I'm flying her... I haven't done much since 1.0.4 came out, and I'm not positive the best method of getting an SSTO to orbit. I'll experiment a little more before I start changing things.

eNPTJGP.png

jGdcPNj.png

Worked on a new smaller SSTO... this one has 2 turbojets and 2 nerv's... she did fantastic up to 26,000 meters, but not so great getting to 35,000 meters, where the nerv's really kick in. Might just be the way I'm flying her... I haven't done much since 1.0.4 came out, and I'm not positive the best method of getting an SSTO to orbit. I'll experiment a little more before I start changing things.

It hasn't changed really. Fly up to 15k meters, pick up speed, level off at 20k, 21k meters and get to your max speed, should be over 1400 m/s (surface). Once you are at your maximum velocity at like 20k, 21k meters (the exact altitude might depend on your air intake count/efficiency), pitch up and begin your climb. Once your engines start starving for air and/or stop producing enough thrust, kick in your rockets, pitch the nose further up to like 20, 30 degrees above the horizon, and raise your apoapsis above the atmosphere. At apoapsis, kick in your rockets again to raise your periapsis above the atmosphere.

Edited by |Velocity|

Today, I picked up a random Kerbal while taking a couple tourists out for a spin. I also switched the wheels on the Wanderer after having to recall the crew due to broken wheels and an inexperienced Engineer. The TR-2Ls work much better than the Rovemate Model M1. The Rovemates feel like driving on ice on the Mun, while the TR-2Ls feel a lot more solid. I even took the rover, all 33 tons of it, up a 45 degree incline at 8m/s with no help from engines. At $400k it's expensive, but I do have a resupply craft ready at half the price, I just need a crew.

New Crew, hopefully they go easy on the wheels:

rqb5tRfl.png

Hill Climber:

aw7RLI4l.png

Sending the junior scientist out to collect data... don't look down and remember, safety third!

cn0B0kDl.png

Driving through another crater:

WJGaV2al.png

Today, I picked up a random Kerbal while taking a couple tourists out for a spin. I also switched the wheels on the Wanderer after having to recall the crew due to broken wheels and an inexperienced Engineer. The TR-2Ls work much better than the Rovemate Model M1. The Rovemates feel like driving on ice on the Mun, while the TR-2Ls feel a lot more solid. I even took the rover, all 33 tons of it, up a 45 degree incline at 8m/s with no help from engines. At $400k it's expensive, but I do have a resupply craft ready at half the price, I just need a crew.

New Crew, hopefully they go easy on the wheels:

Hill Climber:

Sending the junior scientist out to collect data... don't look down and remember, safety third!

Driving through another crater:

Nice. Now drive up this hill:

Psj5NE3.jpg

I Sent the good ship 'Albert Steptoe' to recover some junk (sorry, "valuable hardware") in LKO. Found the target (and remembered the lights!): wJYKOFFh.png Grab and stabilise: MPadEfbh.png Deploy the autonomous Klaw and attach it in the most suitable position for re-entry:

0CXDuoRh.png

Having used the main engines to drag the target down to very low orbit, Our heroes cast off and fly back to base to await their prize: Y8dllhxh.png Back at the target, a quick puff of monoprop. deorbits the booty close enough to KSC kTsl0sMh.png Soft landing on the beach for luvverly funds. Must be an onshore breeze! c2CDX9kh.png

Edited by percyPrune

I had a nightmare of a time trying to assemble a monstrosity in LKO, parts that needed docking were so irregularly shaped that it was impossible to get the RCS thrust balanced with the CoM. . . thus whilst I could get them docked I could not get them perfectly aligned.

After failing to successfully: [undock, rotate about 3 degrees and re-dock] about 10 times with the first module, and faced with the prospect of doing this 7 more times, I rage-quit and terminated the two station modules launched to date.

I then decided I needed a bigger lifter so I could dispense with all this stupid docking malarkey. Biggest thus far lifts about 40-50 Tons to LKO, I aimed to make one that could do 100 tons and after a few iterations came up with one that can do a max of about 120 tons.

Then failed to lift the actual real payload into space . . . . couldn't manage the usual gravity turn without falling nose down, if I left it until about 20km up after first stage separation it would just turn and stay stable. After that incredibly inefficient gravity turn when approaching apoesis I had to have the payload to do the last push to orbit under its own thrust. Decoupled it and it instantly shook itself to bits and exploded into its component parts :huh:

I really don't get why this happens to some ships. . . . . fine on the launchpad on their own, fine on the launch pad attached to the lifter, fine under thrust in atmo to orbit, decouple in space and NOPE I'm gonna explode.

I think this is a 1.0 thing in beta if a ship design was unstable and explody it would do it under ANY circumstance

Got bored of harvesting science in space around Eve, and decided to go for it and stick my science lab onto the surface... Biggest achievement so far I think, and only my second landing on Eve...

G9ayN2B.png

Rb3rxBX.png

M2qbIe1.png

YHartHZ.png

Also, I joined the forum so I could start sharing my adventures with everybody... I'm not as advanced as most of you :blush: but anyway... Hi! :)

The monstrous Mi-12 now has analog automatic hover capability, making it the easiest VTOL to fly, ever. Really! Precision hover out of ground effect accurate enough for sling load operations, and landing in tight spaces or on water is a breeze.

Now who wants to volunteer to walk on the wing to demonstrate the Mi-12's awesome stability?

HndvxFN.jpg

0idQZim.jpg

fkNH4rj.jpg

Yes it can fit on the VAB helipad. With literal inches to spare.

Let the gang blow off steam....

YUno numerous colorful rainbow of lights!? Every amusement park ride needs flashy lights! :sticktongue:

Today, in KSP... I twiddled my thumbs, cause I broke my Hackintosh's boot loader and am booting off a USB boot loader. It doesn't have the required drivers to make my Mobo's USB 3 function, so I am missing all my external drives... including my Steam volume... So no KSP for me. ;.;

So I am working on a restoration/update thumb drive to install the newest Mac OS version, and thus restore my computer to full functionality. It's weird working on a computer that's derped like this. :confused:

3rd time's a charm right? Today I have launched 3rd surface station that will try to go to Eve. First 2 were eaten by Kraken just a bit before they arrived.

For this time I did a complete re-design of that said base which resulted in much more compact, lighter and simpler design. I removed all scientific equipment that was on there to fulfill another contract (explore Eve) and that equipment was launched on separate small probe. This re-design also resulted in much smaller launch vehicle (previous version for comparison).

Yfj0K3Z.png

a0BAknS.png

jOTyEo1.png

Base will remain inside fairings until it enters Eve's atmosphere

... I'm not as advanced as most of you :blush: but anyway... Hi! :)

Hi BenG, your craft looks very well advanced, i never managed to land like that on Eve! Very cool touchdown, the rover looks also great.

Consider a rescuemission for Heidi Kerman...:wink:

Assembled the first parts of my new Kerbal Space Station (KSS). The KSS shall be a research station as well as fuel depot for missions beyond LKO. The next modules to go up are the science module 'Egeria' and a fuel module. Then a supply ship will bring up a good supply of N.O.M.S. and the station is ready for the first crew.

Clipboard01.jpg

Today I sent a probe to Minmus to do some scans, and then realized after I had put it on a nice rendezvous with Minmus that I had only attached a Communotron 32 which thanks to RemoteTech doesn't have sufficient range. So it flings by Minmus, uncontrollable, heading back to Kerbin, realize I can still use the scanners on Kerbin so I set up a proper orbit there. I run out of fuel before I can do a polar orbit so I spend about a long time using RCS to put it into the right inclination. I do some fast forwarding, see I have a bunch of science I can collect, runs it in normal time when I pass the South Pole and BOOM! OVERHEAT! EXPLODE ALL THE THINGS!

The Kraken still lives on in the South Pole apparently: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/5181

Oh well, time to put a proper comms device on my next probe and do it again!

Edited by jonasrosland