What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Bobdards%20photograph%20of%20Kerbin%20peaking%20above%20the%20Mun%20Corvus-5%20Last%20Best%20Hope..._zpsxiilvsmq.jpg

Jeb has shuttled a brave space tourist Bobdard into Munar orbit aboard the Corvus 5; christened "Last Best Hope..." Anyway while passing through the Mun's SOI Bobdard saw this awesome sight of a crescent Kerbin peaking above the Mun and he just had to snap a photo of it. Being on a free-return trajectory "Last Best Hope..." returned into kerbin SOI roughly an hour later. The re-entry trajectory is a too steep so a slight burn will be required to shallow out the re-entry corridor.

Edited by Exploro

Spent the last few sessions working on a space station. The KSS Overkill.

First 2 modules being delivered to the core section:http://i.imgur.com/P3I2SIE.png

Power Truss sections installed:

http://i.imgur.com/THL3Dn9.png

http://i.imgur.com/846qPHv.png

Adding new modules can mean some tricky docking maneuvers

http://i.imgur.com/1VT8i92.png

http://i.imgur.com/33Ug8wJ.png

What mod are those truss sections from?

I was in a spaceplane sort of mood today, so I went out and reinstalled Retro-Future Planes, which probably has my favorite aesthetics of any aircraft mod. Then after a failed attempt at a fighter plane with too much thrust, I made my first and only flyable VTOL, with the newest FAR no less. The stubby wings make it hard to land even with VTOL capability. It also easily makes orbit, which is more of a testament to the overpowered dual mode VTOL engines in RF than my ability to make planes.

Space.png

Today? (Or rather this evening...) I spent some time fixing my RSS install (though FAR still refuses to update through CKAN, so I've gone back to updating it by hand) and finished off my first round of Vandal robot Lunar Landers. Which once again landed a bit on their side.... Or mostly on their side. Ok, entirely on their side. Never mind that, I've now moved on the Project Gothic, which will use engines that can actually be throttled as it attempts to place increasingly larger robots onto the Lunar Surface. The first of these new landers and its companion obiter is starting to take shape. The orbiter needs a rework of its electrical system, but the lander is basically ready:

20150907_kspr9003_gothic1.jpg

Or perhaps it needs another camera on the camera mast, so it can beam back stereoscopic images?

A few more details here: Random RSS Ramblings

Brought back last time's cargo spaceplane and documented it for the K-Prize. Also, some aerobraking, maneuvering, and re-used an old satellite.

CjkXrA.png

I had a set of Mun temperature measurements to do for a contract, but my lander's legs are broken. I could probably still do it with that, but I'd rather train up an engineer and go fix them, which is why Bill is waiting at Stopover for SixFerry to get back and take him to Minmus. So, I cast around for anything that had a thermometer and enough delta-v to land there. There was a really old satellite I put up in orbit on one of my early Mun missions, carrying a thermometer, a Terrier engine (it did double duty as a transfer stage) and some left over fuel, so I gave it a shot. Managed to get both of the Flight Below readings in a single orbit, then needed only a slight adjustment to land on the next one. Landing in the dark, with no lights, no landing legs, and no Ground Altitude gauge can be kind of nervewracking. This mission had a science payment that got me to 160 science, so I can get the actuators node next time I play. Haven't ever really used the claw (maybe once in 0.23.5?), so that'll be interesting.

m3a4ut.png

SixFerry had two aerobraking passes, and the lander cans started to glow a bit. It is now in a low orbit, waiting for a maneuver to encounter Stopover.

tXf13b.png

Finally, just for kicks, I took a tourism contract for two individuals to go to orbit, and just offhand built a spaceplane for them. The probe core is clipped inside.

AMvAjO.png

Ev0Wmq.png

Look at all that heating. You'd almost think something would explode.

BgZiK5.png

Anyway, I landed it back home safely, with nothing actually exploding. Needed some swooping to bleed off speed, but it worked. Perhaps radiators and solar panels would be a good addition to this one, if I don't just make something completely different for future flights.

Edited by Concentric

Had a pretty busy weekend; not a lot of time to play KSP. Did some "haul random crap straight outta orbit" contracts, launched a couple of space stations for contracts, and got started gearing up for Munar mining operations, again for contracts. The Kerbin-orbiting space station was loaded up full of tourists, so the time has come for me to begin a space tourism circuit like the one I had going in my original career save. Bob's still on his way out to what I hope will be the final science mission to Minmus and my mining rigs there are also en route still. Got a lot of money tied up in ongoing contracts at the moment; probably could stand to cash those out soon.

No, not really anything particularly interesting going on right now.

A Munar orbit rescue (really, rescues have turned out to be the main source of my Kerbal recruits-- why spend money to hire them when you can just pluck them out of space?) and a few more satellite launch contracts. One of the launch contracts turned out to be impossible. I matched the plotted orbit in Map Mode almost precisely, apses and nodes and all, but the inclination plotted was not what was stated in the contract; but when I altered the inclination to the contractual specification, it still did not complete the contract. I think the Kerbal lawyers goofed on that one.

Working on a little Mini-Shuttle. Launched vertically as a Two-Stage-To-Orbit, it drops the main stage at about 50km and proceeds to circularize and rendezvous with stations in LKO.

The intent of this shuttle was to see just how small I could make the wing area while still being able to land it safely from a glide. Currently, I've done two successful re-entries. It doesn't look like it should glide... but somehow it does.

2wY7OcI.jpg

I actually don't even need to use the chutes to land with usually, but I like to keep them in case of emergency.

Also, here's two of them docked at a local LKO station:

FpvTizr.jpg

Edited by Slam_Jones

Managed to get a number of things done over the weekend.

Managed to capture my Grand Tour ship at Moho, then brought my Moho Refueling drone over to give it enough fuel to circularize in LMO and land. Decided to try an experiment and used the drone engines to circularize, but the low thrust and slow frame rate(nearly 200 parts, so apparently my gaming computer is in need of an upgrade...) means it took a number of passes.

After reviewing the performance of my refueling drone(using the large VASMIR engine from near future with a whopping 16K ISP using LH2 fuel and 2K charge/s), I decided to try a new grand tour vessel, perhaps even one that could land on Lathe and Tylo.

After many iterations of attempting a SSTO with both ISRU and an 8 ton nuclear reactor(need to get those 2K charge/s some where, and solar will not cut it at Jool, it barely was manageable for the drone at Kerbin using panels that nearly doubled the length of the ship), I took a look and discovered that Lathe and Tylo have only 80% of Kerbin's gravity(7.85m/s/s vs 9.81m/s/s), so I went back to a design that got into space but was not able to get orbital before falling back into the atmosphere and just slapped some solid boosters on it for leaving Kerbin.

Due to contracts that I picked up to pay for the mission(just a habit as I have 60M funds and this was less than a 1M funds ship), I first wen to the Mun to collect some ore.

During my descent I discovered that I could choose to either have enough thrust to land, or have enough delta-v to land, but not both, so I aborted back to Mun orbit and sent a refueling pod with 300 ore I could refine into whatever I needed.

With LH2 refilled and a bit of LF in case I needed it (about 3 seconds worth for my 8 Thuds), I managed a safe landing and started refueling, sending the ore drone back towards Kerbin(with much improved D-v now that it's payload was empty).

I was impatient and still had to make a stop at Minmus, so I used nearly half my thud fuel to get into Mun orbit and and the ship is currently on route to Minmus.

During that transit, I managed to get my Grand Tour vessel pushed into Low Moho Orbit(had to load a couple times as something cause one ship to tear the other apart, possibly SAS oscillations or some such), so I detached and tried for a landing(staying attached was not working very well during my first landing attempt).

I was coming down over an area with a 20 degree tilt, so I changed my descent(including some hovering) and finally managed to land at a site with about 3 degrees of tilt(and all of 3% ore).

vW3joGt.png

As you can see I had quite the safety-margin as I had 25m/s left after landing(good thing I sent that fuel courier) (plus about 95 monoprop left which I had already refilled before thinking to take a picture)

I still need to get Jeb and Bill out to plant flags for XP(which is pretty superfluous at this point as they have more than 80XP from this trip alone and 5 starts only takes 64)

After refueling I am planning to re-fuel the fuel drone while visiting all the Moho biomes I can find.(no scansat here just yet, so unlikely to get all of them)

Stranded Jeb on top of a Munar mountain with no EVA fuel left. His lander is only about 8 km away and has plenty of delta-V to get back to orbit - but between Jeb and his lander is a 2 km high cliff, and I doubt he'll survive falling down it.

I spent 15 minutes watching an Eve lander slooooooowly descend into Eve.

And long after it seemed no longer in danger of melting due reentry heat, one piece of stairs explodes due overheating and the chain reaction destroys the entire thing

I'm seriously thinking about stopping to play until 1.1 comes out (and important mods get updated)