What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Discovered a new, fuel-free Munar rover design. Mostly by accident. :)

My current favorite Munar/Minmus lander has the wide 360-fuel tank as its main body, with a 1-Kerbal lander can underneath and the science gear on top. The important detail here is that the edge of the fuel tank is the widest part of the ship.

Today I had a Munar landing go, literally, sideways. Bumped the ground wrong and tipped the lander over. Fortunately nothing exploded, and as the saying goes, any landing you walk away from is a good one. Well, while trying to right the ship, I accidentally hit Q (the left-roll command) and the lander started rolling.

At a pretty good clip, too. And without using any fuel, thank you reaction wheel and PB-NUK radiothermal generator. I christened it the "Roll-A-Dope I". :D

Came back from the Mün and landed...

WITHOUT the spaceship :sticktongue:

gdFRXsG.jpg

and what particular "Kerman" is this bravest of daredevils proving to us all that "staying inside" is optional and quote: "boring"?

well, you thought correctly! this is the one and only many: JEB KERMAN! the only Kerbal crazy/lucky enough to ever-so-casually decide for and commit to such a stunt and somehow actually succeed!

Just now I was reentering a space plane when I realized that I forgot Air brakes. crap. Instead of doing what I might normally do and quicksave my way back into orbit and try a much shallower approach, I decided to go for it. my AOA was around 40 degrees during reentry and by the time I hit 30 km I was still going mach 6.2 and I was sure I was finished. But I managed to level out and gain altitude after that, as I watched KSC whiz by at 1.8km/s 30 km below. I pulled the plane around and went in to land. I quickly realized that I had slowed down too much and did not have enough fuel to reach KSC. Then I remembered the Island runway, I did have just enough for that. I set navutilities for Island runway 27 and began my ascent. when I was 10 km out I was still going 500 m/s, too fast to close. I ruin my perfect lineup and do some s turns. I manage to get my velocity to around 200 m/s at 2 km out. I descended, knowing I would have to touch down right as the runway began. I then realized there is a hill in front of the runway! I hit the engines and pulled up, narrowly avoiding firey demise. I touched down going 150 m/s, but thanks to tail-strike preventive landing gear, did not yaw too much and slowed to a stop with only a few meters left on the runway.

I love this game.

r6biJ0R.png

I discovered Navy Fish's docking port mod (here) worked with something called "RPM" ... a little googling later, I found the mod (here) and it's amazing. Makes IVA what it should be, and provides a lot of information. I put a couple ships up in orbit, docked, and landed, all IVA with the glass cockpit in the MK1-2 pod:

take-off:

JqqFJmF.png

Docking:

aXRDq2M.png

Landing:

ivMue2W.png

Used my first decent cargo SSTO, the Kicker, to put a Mule nuclear tug in orbit:

http://imgur.com/a/MHPJL

After landing I realized it was the biggest cargo I've lifted in a spaceplane in a serious mission (about 32.5t), and did it without a revert or quicksave.

You finally made a Mk3 Spaceplane that works well. It looks good and with Wing Incidence and all. Gratz :D

And did you upgrade your computer? Those pictures look more eye-candy than usual...

Edited by Val

Last night, in preparation for my space station's completion, I launched ORV-1, a supply mission to bring up NOMS to the station, so that the first Kerbal Crew to arrive will feel just at home. The ORV (Orbital Resupply Vehicle) is able to carry 2,500 units of NOMS as well as 4,000 units of KIS storage. The first mission of the crew will be to put the KSS into operation. EVAs are planned to remove RCS thrusters from the station, that are not needed anymore in order to reduce the part count.

The next launch will consist of the crew vessel.

ORV-1.jpg

ORV-1 enjoying the last rays of sunlight before plunging into the dark on the night side of Kerbin while coasting to the rendezvous burn, which will bring it up to the KSS. I usually launch stuff into a 200 km parking orbit and then plot for rendezvous with the station, which is in a 300 km orbit.

You finally made a Mk3 Spaceplane that works well. It looks good and with Wing Incidence and all. Gratz :D

And did you upgrade your computer? Those pictures look more eye-candy than usual...

Thanks for the congrats. I've been using wing incidence on just about all my planes since 1.0 dropped, I have found that it can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

No new PC, this is an install of Win64 KSP I set up to form my own opinion about its bugginess so I figured I'd go nuts with the VFX mods.

Thanks for the congrats. I've been using wing incidence on just about all my planes since 1.0 dropped.
Oh. My bad. I just never noticed any AoI on the Laythe pics or the tell-tale sign of prograde marker on or above the heading/pitch indicator on the Nav-ball.
I have found that it can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.
*Gasp* A SWTOR reference :confused: Awesome! Nevermind. It wasn't a Bantha's ear.
No new PC, this is an install of Win64 KSP I set up to form my own opinion about its bugginess so I figured I'd go nuts with the VFX mods.
Well... It looks gorgeous. Edited by Val

Just a bit of maintenance today.

Finished refueling and grabbed a bit of ore in the Moho highlands(3.1% ore), then headed north towards a dark area hoping for a biome with richer ore and to get more in-line with the inclined orbit of the refueling drone and found the Moho Midlands with a much more attractive 7% ore, so I landed(did research) and topped off everything, then headed up and klawed the refueling probe to top off all of it's tanks.

I also aero-braked my ore rescue drone around kerbin and brought it in to a nice soft landing, only to have it fall over in the water and break some of the more expensive components, ah well, nothing important was lost.(need to remember to turn on stability assist when landing in water. It often provides an opportunity to recover before the vessel falls over)

Hopefully if I visit all the Moho biomes I should be able to get all the remaining 4K science nodes just from transmitted data and be fairly close on that last node that costs 10K. Not sure what I will do with all the non-transmittable science from Gilly and Moho when I get back to Kerbin though.

After coming home from working a 15 hour shift, and having a few beers, I finally made a jet/rocket vtol ssto that makes LKO (75K) with about 600 dv left. Great for LKO rescue missions or station transfers.

Who knew drunk me was a better engineer than I thought.

NxLh7SL.jpg

G7YMlFL.jpg

u78F1yC.jpg

BxosnOd.png

Edited by manek22

I made this really weird looking SSTO. Strangely enough it flew perfectly in first try.

wFgbpcG.png

It takes off and lands like a plane on Kerbin and is supposed to land and sit stably on it's tail on Mun and Minmus. But it still needs some work before it can get that far.

rveZ89m.png

The landing gear is a bit narrow and asymmetric to not block the crew hatch.

vxUpwq7.png

The drag is also a bit too high due to the Landing Legs and unavoidable struts. Will have to rethink the design to make it lighter and less wobbly without struts.

64Jp6uh.png

Edited by Val

So Jeb was on top of a Munar mountain, out of EVA fuel. I had Arnica fly down in the crew return ship, never meant as a lander, to give him a refill. The ship had a probe core so I never had any real need to send Arnica in it. She landed on target but at the cost of almost all the ship's fuel! Jeb got a jetpack refill, went back to his lander, and launched. Thanks in part to a bad ascent he only just made it back to the station, using up all his fuel and docking with the very last drop of monopropellant.

Meanwhile I jetpacked Arnica to orbit, having used the last of the fuel in her ship to give her that crucial boost off the Munar surface. She didn't though have enough EVA fuel to rendezvous with the station.

The station needed a new crew return ship anyway, so I launched one with an additional pilot, modified with a little extra fuel and landing legs for use as an emergency lander if I need one again. I had this ship first rendezvous with Arnica, freely floating around the Mun, then got it to the station. It's fortunate USI Life Support is a lot more forgiving than TAC, giving an EVA Kerbal 15 days rather than 1 day of survival.

With my mishaps overcome I started reaping the rewards. 28 days of research gave me around 300 Science, and I reckon I'll get another thousand or so before the data drains too low. Starting to think the Science Lab is just a bit overpowered.

Next thing in my station ops will be to bring up a proper solar array to replace the girders covered in ox stats I have at the moment, the lag is awful.

After coming home from working a 15 hour shift, and having a few beers, I finally made a jet/rocket vtol ssto that makes LKO (75K) with about 600 dv left. Great for LKO rescue missions or station transfers.

Who knew drunk me was a better engineer than I thought.

Hehe! Your engineering inhibitions were lowered. :)

I got tantalizingly close to a sub-3000 LKO launch. 3069m/s of vaccuum dV difference between what the rocket had in the VAB, and what the rocket had in space. I'm hoping that by tweaking the trajectory I'll get it.

The ship's nothing special, except in being especially small. It doesn't even weigh 8 tons.

Quite a productive day today, though spoiled a bit with a disaster at the end.

First I launched one extension to my station, adding on a radiator truss together with 2 always open solar panels. After that first crew launched to the station and when they came engineer managed to finally deploy that one solar panel that was stuck closed.

G8AFzxf.png

2rAWr0o.png

g1PwuRi.png

Next up were some atmospheric scans for which I designed a jet in about 5 minutes and which came out as most stable plane that I have ever made in KSP

o46UpCY.png

Then Duna operations started. First up was rover destined to land on Ike. It was a success and it gathered quite a bit of science in few minutes until it ran out of power. It was in sunlight though so it was left to recharge its batteries.

LgzaAHM.png

4oV6IM6.png

1KsDt2E.png

Last today was first crewed landing on Duna. Aerocapture, orbit circularization, de-orbit burn and lending went almost flawlessly so Valentina and two white-suites became my first ever Kerbals to land on another body with atmosphere.

m78jz8h.png

Kmx8mZw.png

6AnrSF1.png

9JBKHTL.png

It was all going too good up to here so something just had to go bad. When I went in map mode to timewarp so that transfer vehicle left in orbit was in its optimal position I heard some explosions. When I returned from map mode this was what greeted me

xOczdGQ.png

So yes, I now have 3 Kerbals stranded on Duna and my plans to finally instal TAC LS mod will have to wait a bit more until I am able to rescue them. I am actually really tempted to just edit persistent file to transfer those 3 and science they gathered to a vehicle that is in Duna's orbit and then wait for transfer window to return them home. I mean, I had enough dV to return to orbit (about 1800 m/s) so that wouldn't really be a problem. Problem is that I do not know how to make those edits correctly.

Oh, and somewhere between that jet mission and Duna landing I did instal EVE because I wanted to have some clouds here and there :D

Edited by Cuky

Decided to launch a Sojourner probe around Kerbin to scan for ore to get some practice with how that all works. Discovered I'd forgotten to add a communications antenna to the design.

This is after I'd already launched identical probes to Mun and Minmus. <facepalm_so_hard_it_breaks_the_laws_of_physics />

Cheesed me off enough that I shut the game down...

After a bit of trial-and-error, and with a design completely stolen from a Scott Manley tutorial, I put my first SSTO spaceplane into LKO today.

JNFHHsy.jpg

Landing was another thing entirely. Three attempts, 2 undershoots and one overshoot. At least I managed a survivable ditching on the last attempt... :rolleyes: