What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Do you find that you have enough power to continually drill and process the ore? or is it a drill then refine kind of method?

It is a "quick click on drill and process then time warp before batteries goes out" method ^^

And it takes about one kerbal year to fully refuel the ship....

Could be a good idea to add solar panels xD

Edited by astrobond

It is a "quick click on drill and process then speed time before batteries goes out" method ^^

And it takes about one kerbal year to fully refuel the ship....

Could be a good idea to add solar panels xD

LOL, yeah just maybe. I'm trying to adapt your idea into an all in one fueler/refinery ship that can go to minmus and back to kerbin LKO to fuel ships. I have a few already but they have multiple engines (vertical and horizontal) and I like your simpler design with one engine, but I'd like to try something with better fuel consumption since most of the travel will be in space. I'm thinking aerospikes. Good to get off the planet and not a terrible burn in space.

LOL, yeah just maybe. I'm trying to adapt your idea into an all in one fueler/refinery ship that can go to minmus and back to kerbin LKO to fuel ships. I have a few already but they have multiple engines (vertical and horizontal) and I like your simpler design with one engine, but I'd like to try something with better fuel consumption since most of the travel will be in space. I'm thinking aerospikes. Good to get off the planet and not a terrible burn in space.

Oh i have ship that could be better for that use :)

ISRU Gran Tour.craft

BoworWo.jpg

(not very nice... but with solar panels lol)

I also tried spikes, but with thrust vector, the ship is a lot more controlable :)

Edited by astrobond

@Astrobond and Manek, my grand tour ssto isru have 4 aerospikes (for space travel, 5850m/s deltaV) and 1 mammoth (for landing and liftoff). :wink:

For operation inside kerbin system or low gravity moons, one kerbodyne KR2 engine is very good (high vector high thrust), 4 skipper or 4 poodle are good too.

And Jeb is level 5 !!

nubtEdv.png

r1cbYdz.png

Edited by xebx

Hi all :)

Next part of the B.O.B. almost gran tour: Gilly to Duna/Ike:

Bybye Gilly and Eve...

jm4AVyh.jpg

Hello Duna and Ike !

gkCjdJa.jpg

Kiss Landing :) (had to use F9 at first try because of an upside/down ship before scheduled scuicid burn... 2nd try, i used mammoth to down speed slowly while entering atmosphere...)

iUC0njZ.jpg

Little Bob next to the Flag and the big B.O.B. :)

2iDVpRv.jpg

Duna Takeoff..

YnyGszF.jpg

Bybye Duna...

y5aQ2Lz.jpg

Hello Ike !

l4fc98w.jpg

Almost landed...

4UJD1fs.jpg

And a new Flag :)

Nrk5XCI.jpg

Next step will be... Dres :)

Fly safe with Valentina :)

I completed a crew swap of the space station then performed a night landing back at the KSC. Those poor kerbals were in space for 2000 days according to the final frontier ribbons they received.

Edited by ryu1940

I had three Kerbals sitting on Mun and waiting for rescue for years.

Today I managed to get them home.

But it was not as easy as I thought.

I built a rocket that was unmanned and RemoteTech-Controlled, because I wanted to use my new cool Munar satellite network.

So after multiple tries to land near the crew pod, I managed to get near the pod.

4ggN12k.jpg

Halson, Raxie and Thomhat used their Jetpacks to fly the remaining 900 m to the rescue lander.

dlLQGHO.jpg

The first problem arose on the first try to land on Kerbin.

I had conveniently placed my antennas in a way so the were garantied to burn up during aerobreaking in Kerbin atmosphere.

And why did I place the atmosphere-capable DP-10 antenna on my ascent stage instead on my lander stage??

And without antennas, I could not burn my engine to break, could not deploy the parachutes and SAS would also be non-functioning.

I learned this during my first 5(?) attempts.. That, and that a direct landing coming in with orbital velocities is not the best idea..

LKMwdij.jpg

So what to do?

I pre-programmed my parachutes to open at some pressure and height which I believed should be good and armed them while still beeing in Mun SOI.

That way prepared I flew over to Kerbin and did one initial aerobreaking maneuver. During that meneuver I lost my omnidirectional antenna,

but my DTS-M1 was still intact.

So after coming out on the other side of Kerbin, I regained control over the vessel and could do last preparations.

Like turning retrograde and decouple the bulky lander tanks / engine.

After entering the atmoshpere once more, there was nothing I could do from this point on as I lost connection to KSC again.

It was quite a ride. I entered the atmoshpere at about 3200 m/s in a flat angle.

All radially attached parts except fot the parachutes dissolved in hot air during my descent.

All I could do was hoping, that my programmed pressure levels for the parachutes were suiting my descent profile

and that my return stage would not flip head-first during re-entry.

And it worked!

afm6tWI.jpg

So all three Kerbals were finally safely on the ground. Man, what a relieve...!

iGdrVC9.jpg

Next time I definitely should stick the DP-10 on my lander stage instead of my ascent stage...:rolleyes:

BTW: How can one embed an imgur album here?

Edited by Cairol

BTW, which mod are you using for chute spread?

This is included in "Stock Bugfix Module". It's in the "StockPlus" set of the mod.

It also has nice features like "Safe/Risky/Unsafe indicators for parachute staging icons and other things. I love it.

And then I further practiced my low-level flight skills:

[pic]

It's hard to go any deeper ;)

Looks like a StarWars speeder so low above the ground. But even cooler. Meercats should duck their head! XD

I installed the Near Future mods and build a nuclear powered satellite and brought it to LKO for testing a few days ago.

Today, after 110 kerbal days or so, I re-visited it and wanted to transfer some depleted uranium to the adjacent waste container.

Just to get the message that this action is only available if a level 3 engineer is in the craft.

And transferring enriched uranium from the storage drum to the fission reactor also needs an engineer lvl 1.

So the NF fission reactors are basicly useless for a satellite. What a shame. :huh:

Fast travel Mission to Eeloo is going well. (24000 m/s deltaV ship)

After 1year and 34days, arrival inside Eeloo SOI at 7750 m/s was a bit scary, but stages and fuel are consumed nearly as planned.

Ship is now in low Eeloo orbit, Dotty Kerman will plant a flag soon and travel fast back to Kerbin.

All stock no nuke. (more infos in imgur album)

Tgrmyez.png

F7RZs9C.png

7 Ion Engine run mostly on jettisonable fuel cells, but for 50-100 m/s orbital adjustments 3 gigantors panels (only 5% power compared to LKO) + batteries are enough. Gigantors will run as main source during Kerbin capture+to LKO.

Edited by xebx

Working on career mode again.

hS0qEyW.jpg?1

Added another set of modules to the Kerbin fuel depot. (This is the part where I wish I was playing with larger part mods. Even the big Kerbodyne tanks aren't really big enough.) In addition to the depot and an Aqualung tanker, the fourth LFO module is in the background still attached to its reusable booster, and the rocket that launched the third module is visible in the distance as well, waiting to be deorbited.

sNNmDwK.jpg?1

Launched Jebediah, Natazie, and Hercas aboard the Pequod into an 81-degree inclination on my first mission to an asteroid.

h7K2UIo.jpg?1

Approaching the asteroid (a class-C), which had conveniently already been captured into Kerbin orbit, presumably by a fortuitous Mun or Minmus encounter.

It was supposed to harpoon the asteroid (hence the name) but the harpoons didn't fire properly, so Hercas, the engineer, had to go outside and bolt the asteroid to the ship with KAS pipes. The idea was to avoid using the (notoriously glitchy) claw, but it ended up being a lot of extra trouble, so I'll probably refit the Pequod with a claw for its next mission.

F7ia03x.jpg?1

The asteroid was sucessfully maneuvered into a 100-kilometer equatorial orbit, although since the Pequod already stripped it of ore it's not much use there. It's down to about 6 tons so I may send up a deorbit stage and try to land it.

Finally got my new refueler going. Its based on astrobond's B.O.B. design. (So lots of cred to him).

It uses a recoverable lift portion, (well mostly, I didn't have enough fuel to slow it down and lost the mainsails) and poodles to move it around in space.

Can make it to minmus, takes about 60 days to mine and refuel at a low concentration spot (less at a good spot), and can get back to kerbin LKO with about 4300dv.

At Launch

HNjIGGG.jpg

Named it Gas Monkey

1ZyEM1I.jpg

Lifting stage on its way back down. 3 chutes to slow it down to about 45m/s and a little fuel once your close to the ground (or ocean in my case)

D8XMaJK.png

Coming down to Minmus

HFZS0dC.jpg

Landed

mTLe2zH.jpg

Mining

2OIEeAM.jpg

It has 2 cargo bays facing opposite sides so the big solar panels can get sun from all sides

82KyJVJ.jpg

OBdSfxo.jpg

Also has all 3 sized docking ports, the smallest tucked away in the cargo so it is a tight fit to dock.

Finally resting at an 84ish orbit

xHVI7cs.jpg

Also has the ability to carry 4 passengers for crew exchanges.