What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I started my second mission to the mun today. I successfully went from Kerbin to the Mun and back. But I had a problem when docking to the Mun escape pod which was rotating and I couldn't get it for about a half an hour but I finally docked and left!

Launched and docked the Rassvet module to the ISS. Also had to undock the FGB (Zarya) Module and rotate it 180º to make it so the Rassvet module was docked in the correct orientation. Will get a picture soon. Going to launch another H-II Transfer Vehicle as well as finish Kibo. Will get pictures to show progress soon.

Woke up at 4:00 am. Couldn't sleep. Did the only sensible thing - downloaded a new planet mod and launched a completely impromptu mission. I used an old saved craft that once served on a rescue mission to Duna. Made a couple minor changes by removing the service bay and adding RCS. Once in orbit, discovered the transfer window was in 34 days. Raised the orbit to 620 and warped. Escape trajectory grazed the SOI of Mun which made an expensive correction burn necessary. I had plenty of DV until things went horribly wrong. Entered Arkas SOI. Set the Pe to 24k (without researching) to aerobrake. Hit the atmosphere at over 3k with no heatshield. My fuel tank was glowing red - kind of cool. Fired the 6 Twitch engines trying to circularize. The atmosphere was thick enough that not only did I get a capture but I was going in for a landing straight from Kerbin before I realized. Eeeek! Panicked. Kicked MJ on and hit land anywhere. Realized I forgot to retract the single solar panel on the ship. It started to fold up but got destroyed. Parachutes didn't want to deploy once the speed was below 200 m/s. Manually right click deployed them. Not sure if it was the panic, MJ, or a glitch in the planet pack, but most of my remaining fuel was used in the last few thousand meters. The ship seemed to be hovering while the speed readout was all over the place. I finally killed MJ and let her coast in, burning at the last few meters to slow down. Good landing. Flag planted. Chutes repacked. Unfortunately power is exhausted due to not being able to surface fix the solar panel. Doesn't matter. There is insufficient fuel for a return voyage. The crew named the site Hell Hole. Sure it is kind of pretty but its hot, dry, and unless help comes, no one is getting out alive.

hSTLnlK.jpg

At this point I may 'fix' the solar panel in the sfs file, then use what fuel I have to see what it takes to get to orbit. If I make it, I'll send a rescue to get the crew. If it looks like it isn't going to happen... well, I could revert or cheat... or watch the fireworks. We'll see how it goes.

With BDArmory's AI Pilot, I dogfought with a B-17, with a modified Aeris 3A.

In the air, I was firing my cannons aggressively. At first, I thought I didn't stand a chance - the B-17 was progressing faster away than I could, despite being much more nimble. One of the shots tore the entire tail section off and caused an infinite explosion, but it kept going on. I was chasing it for as long as i could, bearing with the lag caused by the infinite explosion. It lasted around 30 minutes (not kidding,) but the aircraft endured without a tail. From where I was in the cockpit, eventually, I caught up to it, and yet it wouldn't succumb. Even with edges of wings bending and cockpit collapsing on itself, it kept on. Eventually, the aircraft seemed to be spewing out destruction effects, and it yawed so hard left that I had to slow down and yaw myself.. into a dive.

The aircraft was already stricken, seeming to explode repeatedly, and my firing continued until I watched it come down into the sea. Both of us from afar seemed to be graceful, with the clear skies and ice trails.. and it ended it's mission and life with a final boom, and a dive towards the ocean, splashing in glory.

K9D16lq.png

cv1Qfoc.png

FupoS2a.png

cLCjrTG.png

W10TXM2.png

IFzOta5.png

Writing that made me have a slight emotional connection to the event..

Haven't played in a while and never played 1.0 before, started a career and amassed enough science to be able to build an asparagus system to carry my science pod collection into orbit.

turns out I under calculated and decided to go fly around the mun then come home with fuel to spare :D well chuffed. i can start planning landers now :D

Continuing with my Duna "Kolonization" (sort of). My first D-3 Cobnstructor ended up developing issues with building new vessels, possibly due to the incredibly abrasive Duna sand. We ended up modifying the design to reduce or eliminate the issues that had been bothering us so far. With a larger wing area, more solar panels, and more structurally sound design, the new D-3 should be able to get the job done as well as (if not better than) the model it's replacing. Once it was built at KSC3, Jeb hopped in and flew it to the landing site of the (soon-to-be) former D-3. Also, we performed a few tests to see the maximum operable ceiling for the D-3, it we were able to run smoothly up to 14km. The atmosphere starts to dissipate quickly beyond 10km, and while we may be able to get it higher, there seems to be no practical reason, other than incredibly long journeys.

Original on the right, new version on the left

z23Q09y.jpg

Despite being newer, the D-3 still take considerably longer than KSC3 to build new vessels. While KSC3 can turn a pile of dirt into a plane within a few hours, it will take the crew of the D-3 about a week to accomplish the same task. Building a multi-vessel base often takes upwards of a month on-site.

With the new Constructor built and tested, we set about building a few new outposts. The first was a simple civilian base with a relay station attached, about 70km from Burgstein (another outpost).

FZp5AHA.jpg

After that, another outpost was built, again about 70km from the previous one. This outpost included a newly designed observation tower. Following in this vein, we are looking into other tall, asymmetric buildings in order to make everything look a little less boring.

wlgywRe.jpg

tsQsSTf.jpg

Finally, we turned northward and headed towards to polar ice caps, where we plan to build a massive research station. We're still going through logistics, but it will likely require the crew of the D-3 to build three(!) large tanks for Rocket Part storage at the site, before finally building the base itself. (For reference, every other base I've built so far needed no more than 1 tank). While the tower (above) looks tall, the main spire of the science base should be at least 2 - 3 times as tall.

Also, while flying northwards, we realized several of the large wing-bound solar panels were broken. Apparently, they're not really designed to be walked on, or they crack like... like something that cracks far too easily. Another design feature to consider for future versions.

hwx06Vc.jpg
Edited by Slam_Jones
Grammar, images, etc.

Continuing with my Duna "Kolonization" (sort of). My first D-3 Cobnstructor ended up developing issues with building new vessels, possibly due to the incredibly abrasive Duna sand. We ended up modifying the design to reduce or eliminate the issues that had been bothering us so far. With a larger wing area, more solar panels, and more structurally sound design, the new D-3 should be able to get the job done as well as (if not better than) the model it's replacing. Once it was built at KSC3, Jeb hopped in and flew it to the landing site of the (soon-to-be) former D-3. Also, we performed a few tests to see the maximum operable ceiling for the D-3, it we were able to run smoothly up to 14km. The atmosphere starts to dissipate quickly beyond 10km, and while we may be able to get it higher, there seems to be no practical reason, other than incredibly long journeys.

Original on the right, new version on the left

http://i.imgur.com/z23Q09y.jpg

Despite being newer, the D-3 still take considerably longer than KSC3 to build new vessels. While KSC3 can turn a pile of dirt into a plane within a few hours, it will take the crew of the D-3 about a week to accomplish the same task. Building a multi-vessel base often takes upwards of a month on-site.

With the new Constructor built and tested, we set about building a few new outposts. The first was a simple civilian base with a relay station attached, about 70km from Burgstein (another outpost).

http://i.imgur.com/FZp5AHA.jpg

After that, another outpost was built, again about 70km from the previous one. This outpost included a newly designed observation tower. Following in this vein, we are looking into other tall, asymmetric buildings in order to make everything look a little less boring.

http://i.imgur.com/wlgywRe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tsQsSTf.jpg

Finally, we turned northward and headed towards to polar ice caps, where we plan to build a massive research station. We're still going through logistics, but it will likely require the crew of the D-3 to build three(!) large tanks for Rocket Part storage at the site, before finally building the base itself. While the tower (above) looks tall, the main spire of the science base should be at least 2 - 3 times as tall.

Also, while flying northwards, we realized several of the large wing-bound solar panels were broken. Apparently, they're not really designed to be walked on, or they crack like... like something that cracks far too easily. Another design feature to consider for future versions.

http://i.imgur.com/hwx06Vc.jpg

Very nice!

How much does it weigh and what is your takeoff and landing runway size?

Very nice!

How much does it weigh and what is your takeoff and landing runway size?

Ty! :D

Devoid of Rocket Parts and Ore (as I usually aim to be before taking off), it's just under 30 tons.

Take-off and landing are very tricky, since I've yet to find a perfectly flat area. It's usually able to get off the ground once it hits 60m/s, which can be accomplished in... idk 400 meters? It's honestly not very quick to lift off, which makes it kinda scary to work with :| Landing is worse... trying to stick it while the terrain is constantly going up and down is a little unnerving, but I've only messed up once or twice. A chute can help a lot.

Theoretically, I could try to build a runway to land it on, but it's really designed to land in a random field, and then turn that field into a town. If I were a Kerbal on Duna, I'd probably rather not sign up to crew that plane, to be honest :P

Ty! :D

Devoid of Rocket Parts and Ore (as I usually aim to be before taking off), it's just under 30 tons.

Take-off and landing are very tricky, since I've yet to find a perfectly flat area. It's usually able to get off the ground once it hits 60m/s, which can be accomplished in... idk 400 meters? It's honestly not very quick to lift off, which makes it kinda scary to work with :| Landing is worse... trying to stick it while the terrain is constantly going up and down is a little unnerving, but I've only messed up once or twice. A chute can help a lot.

Theoretically, I could try to build a runway to land it on, but it's really designed to land in a random field, and then turn that field into a town. If I were a Kerbal on Duna, I'd probably rather not sign up to crew that plane, to be honest :P

Ya I was looking at it and thinking some Takeoff/landing assistance engines would probably be helpful. Im sure at higher altitudes it would be a pita to land lol.

Damn you I may end up playing KSP since I took a break a few months ago lol.

Ya I was looking at it and thinking some Takeoff/landing assistance engines would probably be helpful. Im sure at higher altitudes it would be a pita to land lol.

Damn you I may end up playing KSP since I took a break a few months ago lol.

I might incorporate some VTOL-style props to at least help it get up quicker. It's already a little unfriendly towards part count, so I'm still thinking how to do it best... Might need another part pack for more props.

Currently my KSP addiction is fighting my WoW addiction. And winning! :P

I might incorporate some VTOL-style props to at least help it get up quicker. It's already a little unfriendly towards part count, so I'm still thinking how to do it best... Might need another part pack for more props.

Currently my KSP addiction is fighting my WoW addiction. And winning! :P

Take a look at Near Future solar panels, he has some curved panels that would help with part count and he has some flat truss panels also;)

Hmmm KSP or work on my Electric Gocart...... Choices..

3ED38AC893B74CDAF9D40B25BE2D72F35DA3C4F9

I made it to another planet's SOI for the first time ever today. It was also my first successful ion engine maneuver to get me there. It is a good day. I'm excited to try and get a crewed mission there now.

Edit: Okay, who knows why my image isn't showing properly?

Edit, the 2nd: Got it! Enjoy your day.

From the right to the left : Tylo, Jool, Vall (small light blue moon), Laythe (dark blue moon)

N1U1Qc7.png

(note : three moons are in the same plane but not my ship, after Tylo flyby it'll be)

In Laythe orbit in 1h30 :

ClCmK8I.png

pIUrwrs.png

Edited by xebx