What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Did a craft release in the middle of a busy work week where I stay back after hours to help out with systems migration and generally prove to the world a legal secretary is awesome as an IT engineer supporting ridiculously important medical systems.

I have no idea how I managed to do a craft release but here it is,

2 lanes wide, 6.5 tons of American pride.

Top of the line in utility sports,

Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

KMC M3 Kanyonero Stock SUV!

MThDSzC.jpg

t6fvWzs.jpg

First I returned my Grand Training(training mission to Duna with 3 rescues picked up around Duna) safely to Kerbin, putting me at 51 kerbasl at the KSC, of which 4 have 5 stars, 17 have 3 stars and the rest have 4 stars(the two orange suits are of course at 5 stars, with the other two orange suits heading towards Dres)

First approach was a bit off, as I realized I was going retrograde when I tried to get an equatorial orbit, so I kicked out to Mun where I landed(and topped off fuel, just to be safe) then came back and made a splash landing a couple dozen km from KSC.

Next I captured my Jool scansat at Vall and started scanning the surface(low-res, multi-spectral and ore scanning complete, now just trying to finish up high-res scanning. Only a few hundred d-v left so I don't think I'll be able to take it to Pol or Bop before the Outer Grand Tour arrived to refuel it.

After that I adjusted my refueled Duna Scansat's trajectory to hit the Eeloo SOI. I have a fine-tuning burn in another 6 years or so, then I should capture for a polar orbit of Eeloo for scanning. (also renamed it to Scansat Eeloo to prevent future confusion)

Finally I did an inclination burn on my Scansat Eve(now renamed Scansat Moho), so it should be meeting up with Moho fairly soon to scan for those three biomes I missed on my first visit.

I think I misread the 15K science converted to rep from the Grand Tour return, looks like it may have been 1500 or 15K rep, not science.

I was considering sending off another training mission to get those 17 3-stars up to 4 or 5 stars, or to take those 30 4-stars up to 5 stars, but I think I'll just finish my outer grand tour and start a new game with the Extra-planetary launchpads mod(and none of those high-isp engines that I have been using so much of late), perhaps I'll even manage to land and return a Kerbal from Eve with that mod.

(I may cheat a little and start with a copy of my caveman challenge save game to skip past any early grinding)

I built my first SSTO spaceplane (career) powered by 2 whiplash and a swivel and successfully put it in orbit. Payload was only 1 passenger and around 450 units of liquid fuel to 75km x 75km. Unfortunately I couldn't keep it under control on reentry and it exploded at about 22km.

Broke ground on the largest project we've done on Duna yet: Duna City. It was intended to be the largest city on Duna, but we ran into some structural problems when testing it on Kerbin, and as such we had to reduce its size a bit. Since it was such a big project, we had to design a new workshop (to be built on-site, like the tanks) to speed up build time significantly. With the workshop, building the Farm dome and the Hab Arm (with all attached houses) only took about 3 days. Without, it would have taken months.

vk8aM5i.jpg

Since it wasn't big enough yet, we next built a Biodome with a couple houses inside it. Once it was built, we sent Nelly in to walk around and make sure all was well. It was. :)

dFIjVGL.jpg

y2P2Kml.jpg

Once we had the new Biodome in place, we started installing another little "neighborhood," which involves a large central stack of apartments, surrounded by smaller apartment buildings.

QJEcsKC.jpg

At 200+ parts, the lag is starting to get a little much, so this may be the size limit for my current PC. I'm still thinking of other ways to have a city that can be described as both "sprawling" and "low-part-count." Maybe one day...

Edit: Come to think of it, I think the 200+ part count also includes the D-3 Constructor plane (which accounts for likely almost half of that), so there may be hope after all! :)

Another edit: I was so excited about Duna City, I forgot to post the Polar Research station:

Ri6REdz.jpg

9j1htzm.jpg

GelQlAE.jpg

And one last pic, because I like biome transitions:

gFkShbz.jpg
Edited by Slam_Jones

Succesfully set up a remote tech network around Eve (needs fine tuning with hyperedit to make the changes fast, but i could do it manually, and have many crashes while doing that) and recommissioned the mother ship that carried the satellites to Eve into a magnetic field surveyor, for i had it fitted with the required scientific gear needed to satisfy the dmagic magfield study contract. The mother ship is now in a 75 inclination orbit around eve with an apspsis of 5000 km ,and a periapsis of 120km.

Operations around Tylo are going fine :

Main ion ship + Lander

RH5SaCy.png

Jeb is going in the lander, while Valentina is transferred in the Mk1-2 pod

gpmm9Dy.png

Moving the Mk1-2 pod, so the lander can take the additional module (big tank and two small aerospikes)

DaBAVC2.png

Mk1-2 pod back to the main ship, lander ready

26XnqMF.png

Edited by xebx

Took a long look at Harory Kerman and realized this guy must fight Bears his face is all mangled and being on a station of 3 (2 girls) he's the best looking guy for MILES!

6ZDHPhu.png

Seebro Kermin tried out an prototype Space plane going for an altitude record in fixed win... didn't work out well.

5rdXqXy.png

I was able to eject and recover... Some of the vehicle.. plus tomorrows Lunch... Fish

cgJVoSs.png

to top it off i was able to land a reusable Probe on the Mun.. or so i thought until the engineers realized they had forgot to reinstall the batteries they pulled off while playing GameKube in their very large amount of spare time. The Landing went a bit to the left.

oIdvxTd.png

I went back to it, promptly fell victim to a game-breaking bug twice, and ragequit.

For the record, I tried to copy an object by removing it from the main vessel and undoing that. Upon trying to attach the unattached copy to the ship, it lost all ability to be attached and any attempt to click on it either did nothing or moved the whole ship. Lovely.

I worked on expanding my career friendly-ish D-series spaceplane SSTOs. Was very productive.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]TwdJymi.png

[/TD]

[TD]RB14ORE.png

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Both feature a flexible build system that allows for easy replacement of the middle segments, without needing to rebalance and retune the craft.

1T4g7Mw.png

Finally, I also made a, not so career friendly, RAPIER powered version, that also has the flexible build system.

[TABLE=width: 50%]

[TR]

[TD]p4cpB9h.png

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I went back to it, promptly fell victim to a game-breaking bug twice, and ragequit.

For the record, I tried to copy an object by removing it from the main vessel and undoing that. Upon trying to attach the unattached copy to the ship, it lost all ability to be attached and any attempt to click on it either did nothing or moved the whole ship. Lovely.

Try alt+click on the part you want to copy.

As planned , my one-way fly-by probes , Arrow I and Arrow II, did their mission successfully , collecting low and high orbit data then transmitting it back to Kerbin, then Arrow I, the first one to leave Kerbin's SOI, transmitted it's data from Kerbol's high orbit ! At the same time , my lander probes , Horizon I and Horizon II landed on the Mun and Minmus respectively. At the same time (Kerbal Alarm Clock is awesome !), I was completing the "Dock two vessels" in LKO with two newly built vessels , Courage III and Courage II , but I realized I can't switch vessels while in re-entry, so I lost Jeb ! I don't have perma-death on so no biggie , but still , that was my first vessel lost after 550+ hours in since 0.25.

Over the past few weeks I've been preparing for a massive Duna campaign, I orbited several transfer stages and some hardware including a roomy space station launched in one piece. Now I have a couple of ships fully fueled in high Kerbin orbit along with a refueling depot. All the time I was working on it I was never satisfied with my approach as I didn't really have a clear vision of what I was going to do. Then it struck me that the main failing was treating the expedition like a Mun landing: land, collect some samples, plant a flag and then leave & spend most of the stay in orbit. Duna needs a different approach given the time it takes to get there and the time waiting for the return window. So I suspended the planned campaign (the space station may make it there eventually) and took a different approach.

Tonight I delivered a surface habitat to a low orbit around Duna. It will provide a base for the Kerbals when they arrive. Now all I need to do is land it and figure out how to do precision landings!

Here is the space station ready to depart, its in an orbit between that of the Mun and Minimus. The transfer stage is fully fueled and has enough dV to take it a final orbit around Duna and then be used to return the crew (all be it in smaller less luxurious quarters).

e5lrAyo.png

Here is what was actually sent to Duna:

GLbspAm.jpg

Brought the Columbus module up to the ISS. Very easy and everything went according to plan. Now I'm prepping to get the ISS from an equatorial orbit to an orbit with the inclination of the real ISS (51.65 degrees). After that, I'm going to finish Kibo.

ung778i.jpg (Time on the screenshot is wrong. I've had the ISS up in orbit way more than two days;))

Took a science lander to the Mun and back, fluffed the return and had to make 3 passes through Kerbin's atmosphere, on the final pass my charge ran out so i went in all over the shop and had some dangerously hot parts!

thankfully though we made landfall gently and Jeb let out a sigh of relief to the plink of cooling metal.

used the science gained to get parts for probes and mainsails! then sent a probe round Minmus to see how the mainsail asparagus system would run, got there without using the transfer or circularisation stages... tonight I send it to DUNA! (then figure how to strand jeb there :D)