What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Got my scansat around Moho and scanned with all 4 instruments(low-res, milti-spectral and hi-res from Scansat, plus stock resource scanner). Still has roughly 6km/s so I might be able to get elsewhere, but nothing closer than Dres needs scanning, so might as well leave it there to return temperature scans when data from Moho is contracted.

Next I noticed that all of that science I was converting into Rep did not seem to do anything( 'aggressive negotiations' @ 100% said my rep was at 924, exactly the same as it was before I returned the Moho ship with science going to Rep at 100% as my only policy, also did lots and lots of lab returns at 250-320 science each since starting that policy), so I killed the 100% science-> rep policy and started a 50% science-> rep policy. (note: money has gone from ~62M to ~68M so perhaps it went there?)

After that my Outer Grand Tour(only Kerbaled vessel at the moment) reached Dres. Landed in a couple biomes(lowlands had < 1% ore, so went elsewhere and found Ridges with > 6% ore), collecting data from each then lifted off.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

During this time I noticed that I could drop the production of my nuke plant down to 0% and then pop it back to 100% without a warm-up period, so I may do that while in a planetary SOI to save time, of course I also accidentally left it at 100% for a couple weeks while meeting up with the asteroid below and burned up 30 times as much uranium as I had previously used. Good thing I have plenty)

Found a Class C asteroid in orbit and topped off all my tanks(well, I left a 10 unit margin of empty ore tank to avoid accidentally wasting any), and it still has 190 tons of ore.

Identified a trajectory that will get me to Jool in about 200 days, it just needs about 5km/s of acceleration(and probably a similar amount of deceleration once I get there)

Acceleration with the asteroid is a whopping 0.11m/s/s so that will be quite the burn(and I can't just leave it to burn over night as the fuel tank apparently only holds 1km/s of LH2 when hauling around this massive asteroid(largest I have ever captured actually, the others were a class A and a class B))

Well, having too much ore on an ISRU ship is hardly a terrible thing, just inconvenient. Wonder if there will be enough left to use it as a refueling station among the inner moons of Jool...

Edited by Terwin

I may have ended all of Kerbin...

http://gfycat.com/BriefArcticBactrian

And recreated the Caproni CA.60 (before the loss of all Kerbin...)

Nice! I made a craft inspired by the Ca 60 myself a while back, although a less faithful replica. Mine was a miner and fuel hauler and it's sitting out in some grasslands fully laden waiting for me to take on the challenge of getting it back into the sky.

Few more randoms from yesterday.

Duna City Concepts (Single-vessel cities, tested on Kerbin before being built on Duna)

NsrlNxn.jpg

WnYDyr6.jpg

Temple of Kerpollo (not as big as I'd hoped, might do a Mk-2)

Also, the Mk-1 capsule unintentionally looks like a Hollywood Native American, with headband, feather, and war paint. Didn't realize til I built it, but I kinda like it :P

AQ93Fhx.jpg

And my new mobile builder, the new D-9 Constructor. VTOL-capable means it's a lot less likely to crash.

Tested on Kerbin, recently built on Duna, and will soon be building new Duna settlements and cities.

RPKPrno.jpg

T0cA1wp.jpg

jBHwi1Z.jpg

Edited by Slam_Jones

Some hot stuff...

a87a2b0a3771.png

Well, it has quite a strange ascent sequence:

1) Runway takeoff on jets (barely...)

2) Almost Mach 1 horizontally then start climbing

3) Add aerospikes during climb, switch them off when jets pick their power back up at level flight at high alt.

4) Push over 1 km/s, then start climbing further.

5) engage aerospikes, turn reapiers to closed and so on...

At least it gets up there, still have to confirm capabilities for some other target.

422fff4a9179.png

What's inside? Everything!

b9a5b0322ae1.png

Still missing a few parts, but looks like a very decent vehicle... Although, teaching it to land would probably be a bit tricky.

It was a frustrating day for Kerbalkind today. I failed repeatedly at getting a rover to fit inside a service bay, and I also smashed my rocketship into Ike while timewarping at Duna. I guess the rocket's orbit was too high. RIP Jenette Kerman.

Discovered an error in my low solar orbit kerbal recovery craft, or, as its named after my reaction of seeing where in orbit the kerbal was, C.R.A.P. I severely underestimated the fuel requirements to get to low solar orbit (within Moho's orbit, how that kerbal got there, I don't know. As it stands, I saved approximatly 1 km/s of delta v by flying by Eve, but will be short 2 km/s to catch up, well, never been that close, and the amount of parts means that I wouldn't be able to get another probe to dock with it, for it can't dock. It's likely I can do it now with the newest technology my space agency has (ion engines), but would take a VERY long time. I'll have to see how much it takes to get a new probe to be able to reach that stupid kerbal. Going to be a net loss because of that one.....

Poking around the Tracking Station looking for asteroids today, I found an E-class asteroid that will be making a pass near Kerbin in about 50 game days. Unfortunately for kerbalkind, it will be engaging in a high-velocity lithobraking maneuver if it continues on its current course.

Does anyone know what the heat tolerance and impact resistance is for an asteroid? I plan on giving it a little nudge so it aerocaptures instead of smacking into Kerbin.

In other news, I sent up my first space station torus - a ring of Mk3 fuel tanks. The thing is such a pain to send to orbit - it's ridiculously draggy and horribly wobbly under acceleration, despite a liberal coating of struts and structural reinforcement.

It also probably doesn't help that it weighs 750 tons :sticktongue:

Sent a probe bomber to eve with enough probes for each biome and a spare for the inevitable failure of missing. Didn't transfer at the right time so I had to pack a few thousand extra dv. It looks like it's going to arrive before my duna crew makes it. So I guess eve will be my first planet visited.

Created a new career yesterday with a bunch of mods I finally settled on. Yesterday was gathering science and setting up a comms network around kerbin for remote tech. Today, I sent valentine up with two pods. She rescued another kerbal in orbit, and then the two stayed up there for 7 days to fulfill a contract. I did an altimetery scan of the mun. Now I'm going to set up a communication network for the mun. After that, I'll probably be multitasking the same stuff for minmus while I also start really exploring the mun. Probably send a couple kerbal to orbit the mun first, then a probe to land, and then finally a manned landing...and then do that all over again for minmus.

I had a mission asking me to retrieve something from the surface of Minmus. After putting together a nice little contraption, I managed to come down right on top of it ... only to wonder where it was! It turned out to be below the surface and descending. I forced completion of THAT contract!

I was playing around with a prototype single-Rhino ISRU/science planetary explorer (heavily inspired by astrobond's Mammoth-powered ship). Had a bit of trouble getting it to orbit on its own (TWR too low), so I used the obvious solution of more boosters with an offbeat arrangement:

They're like bedposts:

screenshot129.png

But they work well enough:

screenshot130.png

And the main ship gets to orbit easily now:

screenshot132.png

Slam_Jones, what mod(s) are you using to put together that colony? Those parts look amazing.

Thanks! :D

The part pack with most of the cool-looking stuff (the biodomes, houses, Farm, etc.) come from Civilian Population mod. I should point out that while you can use the buildings to recruit kerbals, I chose to just use them to look pretty.

I believe the corridors come from Stockalike Station Parts Expansion.

They're built on-site by the D-9 Constructor, a VTOL mining craft that can build stuff. I usually scout for a new place using a tiny drone, and once I've found an open area with a slope of less than 3 degrees, then I bring in the D-9. The D-9 opens to cargo doors, mines some ore, and converts it into Rocket Parts. Since it can only store so much on-board, the first thing I always build is another external tank to hold rocket parts (the bigger or more complex the thing you're building, the more R Parts you need). I always paint them silver to identify easily. After that, it's just a matter of making sure you have enough room to hold all the parts you need, and then dig em up. :)

Here's my full mod list, in case anyone is curious:

- Civilian Population

- ExtraPlanetary LaunchPads

- ExtraPlanetary LaunchPads Simplifier (makes it easier to go from Ore -> Rocket Parts)

- Firespitter

- KAX (Kerbal Aircraft Expansion)

- KAC

- KER

- KAS/KIS

- KJR

- Kerbal Stats

- Infernal Robotics

- New Future:

- - Construction, Electrical, IVA props, Propulsion, Solar, Spacecraft Parts

- Procedural Parts (plus two different texture packs)

- Stockalike Station Parts Expansion

- Take Command

- Tweakscale

Edited by Slam_Jones