What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Still working on my 1.0.2 career.

TpVeQ8I.jpg?1

Cargo shuttle Belatrix completed a mission to refit air brakes onto the Super Aqualung tanker and a claw onto the asteroid-retriever Pequod, which is now off to acquire a Class-E asteroid to (hopefully) become a new LKO fuel station.

9yJnL33.jpg?1

Meanwhile, the Dauntless explored the Jool system, completing encounters with Vall...

hfrTheM.jpg?1

..and Laythe...

KdlWJNq.jpg?1

...before arriving in orbit of Bop, where Tiyane went down to the surface to plant my first flag in the Jool system. The Bop encounter was especially satisfying because Bop was the last place in the stock system I had never visited in any save.

I lost a lot of money accepting a very basic space station contract for the mun and made a very expensive one. I didn't have lots of contracts around that body as I usually do.. so farewell to those funds.

KSP_MunSS1.jpg

KSP_MunSS2.jpg

KSP_MunSS3.jpg

KSP_MunSS4.jpg

Thanks! :D

The part pack with most of the cool-looking stuff (the biodomes, houses, Farm, etc.) come from Civilian Population mod. I should point out that while you can use the buildings to recruit kerbals, I chose to just use them to look pretty.

I believe the corridors come from Stockalike Station Parts Expansion.

They're built on-site by the D-9 Constructor, a VTOL mining craft that can build stuff. I usually scout for a new place using a tiny drone, and once I've found an open area with a slope of less than 3 degrees, then I bring in the D-9. The D-9 opens to cargo doors, mines some ore, and converts it into Rocket Parts. Since it can only store so much on-board, the first thing I always build is another external tank to hold rocket parts (the bigger or more complex the thing you're building, the more R Parts you need). I always paint them silver to identify easily. After that, it's just a matter of making sure you have enough room to hold all the parts you need, and then dig em up. :)

Any pics of the D-9 Constructor?

Any pics of the D-9 Constructor?

Yep! Let me dig them up real quick... I forget the exact stats, but I think it has a (stable) TWR of 2.0+, or up to 4.0 for emergencies (drains batteries VERY quickly at that pace), and I think weighs somewhere in the 30 ton range.

Max crew of 8, without expanding. Building a Rocket Parts tank takes about 7 kerbin days (about 2.5 Duna days), and a workshop about 30 days. The workshop increases productivity (basically how much 1 kerbal can build in a day) by something like 10x. I'll put it this way: without the workshop, a Duna City would take about 180 days to build, with 8 kerbals. If I have a workshop (and put the kerbals in it), it drops to about 7 days. A MAJOR difference, if time is a factor.

(The purple bit at the front is the "Orbital Construction Dock" piece, which is one of many parts that allow for on-site construction. It happened to be the lightest and easiest to place, so I've used it extensively :)

Also, drill and ISRU stuff stored inside cargo bay, which opens downward)

Tested first on Kerbin

RPKPrno.jpg

Then built on Duna

T0cA1wp.jpg

jBHwi1Z.jpg

Edited by Slam_Jones

Wow thats pretty impressive!

Here's a quick overview of the city-building process:

First, send the flying ChapStick container to find a mostly flat spot

1HLWjrv.jpg

This looks flat enough. Anything less that 3 degrees is acceptable, and less than 1 degree is basically perfect.

mebMCKo.jpg

Once it's confirmed to be a good site, we send in the Constructor (pictured is the old D-3, though now we use the D-9)

vSHlool.jpg

The constructor doesn't have a lot of storage room for parts, so the first thing we build is extra storage

50g7wNS.jpg

Since we don't have the best building facilities on-board (all that stuff is heavy!) we next build a workshop. This allows the kerbals to build much more efficiently (and quicker!)

rj9RUTe.jpg

After that, it's much easier to build a few more tanks. Once they're filled, we'll have enough parts to build the city.

suI0ZRh.jpg

And lastly, the city itself. It's built as one vessel in the VAB on kerbin, then the blueprints are uploaded to the D-9. With the workshop, we were able to get this city up in about a week, Kerbin time.

bnSlFRM.jpg

After that, it's done! More houses can be added if desired, but they'll be attached via KAS, and won't look as good as single-vessel ones. Not a big deal, though. Sometimes I'll detach the parts tanks and terminate them to clean the area up a bit. For Duna City, I left them in place. (for now)

QJEcsKC.jpg

Edited by Slam_Jones

Yep! Let me dig them up real quick... I forget the exact stats, but I think it has a (stable) TWR of 2.0+, or up to 4.0 for emergencies (drains batteries VERY quickly at that pace), and I think weighs somewhere in the 30 ton range.

Max crew of 8, without expanding. Building a Rocket Parts tank takes about 7 kerbin days (about 2.5 Duna days), and a workshop about 30 days. The workshop increases productivity (basically how much 1 kerbal can build in a day) by something like 10x. I'll put it this way: without the workshop, a Duna City would take about 180 days to build, with 8 kerbals. If I have a workshop (and put the kerbals in it), it drops to about 7 days. A MAJOR difference, if time is a factor.

(The purple bit at the front is the "Orbital Construction Dock" piece, which is one of many parts that allow for on-site construction. It happened to be the lightest and easiest to place, so I've used it extensively :)

Also, drill and ISRU stuff stored inside cargo bay, which opens downward)

Tested first on Kerbin

http://i.imgur.com/RPKPrno.jpg

Then built on Duna

http://i.imgur.com/T0cA1wp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jBHwi1Z.jpg

Do you build stuff from the cockpit or theres a workshop/survey station inside it?

Do you build stuff from the cockpit or theres a workshop/survey station inside it?

The first ones are usually built from the cockpit. There's also a small workshop inside the cargo bay, but it's not much more efficient than the cockpit. That's why for a lot of the bigger projects (cities, etc.) I'll build an external workshop (you can see it in the pics in the post above). Basically, the productivity factor on the on-plane modules is about 0.4, while the actual workshop has a factor of 5.0 or something crazy. It takes a 180-day project down to 7-days or so.

So, the first two things at a site will take about a month to build. After that, only about a week to finish everything else.

I sent a mobile MetalOre extraction/smelting vehicle to my Mun base.

Due to MechJeb experiencing severe control-loop jitter in differential throttle mode (the landing frame's main fuel tank was at the extreme end for fairing-related reasons), I had to land it by hand.

It landed about 13.5km away from the target, and it doesn't have headlights (the built-in ones on the anti-legstrike gear don't work, I have no idea why).

Or, to [thread=30031]paraphrase[/thread] [thread=30530]Herbo[/thread] [thread=33845]Kerman[/thread], "Truckin' on the Mun!" (at about 4m/s due to lack of working headlights).

CpaUELN.png

Edit: First the truck got stuck in a crater, then something ate my 220k+-line career save's CONTRACTS node. I fixed it by hand-merging a recent backup into persistent.sfs with dev-util/diffuse.

Edited by Fail-Man 3D
Added more info

This stock SSTO Rocket remembers me something... ;)

http://i.imgur.com/PjYDDtK.jpg

TinTin Rocket? :D

- - - Updated - - -

Basically, the productivity factor on the on-plane modules is about 0.4, while the actual workshop has a factor of 5.0 or something crazy

So, the first two things at a site will take about a month to build. After that, only about a week to finish everything else.

What about a mk3 passenger module? i guess 16 kerbals would have a good factor

-snip-

What about a mk3 passenger module? i guess 16 kerbals would have a good factor

Good question. Just got home, so gonna load up KSP and find out :)

Edit: Looks like it doesn't have any productivity factor. The mod uses Module Manager to apply the module regarding productivity to certain parts, so maybe I can modify it to include to Mk3 Passenger part.

Either way, the Workshop has a Productivity factor of 5, and room for up to 10 kerbals. That's a lot of work done very quickly :)

Also, I noticed Pilots don't contribute any productivity for some reason, while Engineers do. Not sure about Scientists. Also not sure if it's a bug, or intentional.

Edited by Slam_Jones

Bob landed on Pol, the 5th moon of Jool

E1nb3lH.png

o5G1KEK.png

(note : suicide burn is a bad idea here, better stay <50 m/s, else an altitude bug will destroy the ship)

Bob is on the way back to Vall to rendezvous the Main Ion Ship, there is a very good transfer window to Eeloo opened for 10 days. (next is in 43 years lol)

Edited by xebx

On my phone at the moment, will add a pic in a bit. Big milestone for me; completed my first station-based manned lander mission. Still in the backyard at Minmus, but hey.

Steam screenshots failed me, so here's the lander back at station with Dr. Bob:

SFsSPvX.png

Edited by SOTMead

For the record, I tried to copy an object by removing it from the main vessel and undoing that. Upon trying to attach the unattached copy to the ship, it lost all ability to be attached and any attempt to click on it either did nothing or moved the whole ship. Lovely.

Alt-click works better for copying. I had that same bug a few days ago, though I was just undoing a errant click, not trying to copy.

Today I went for a drive to Minmus' north pole. As is the case with the scenery in this game, I couldn't help but look at Kerbin and the Mun so tiny and far off in the distance, hanging against the backdrop of stars and galaxies, and think to myself "wow ... I can't believe I forgot about the stranded crew orbiting the Mun. Maybe we should get a rescue mission together ..."

xoP8s6bh.png