What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Launched my Kerputnik-1A (in celebration of Sputnik's 58th Anniversary today), with kOS.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Might as well share the kOS code I used.

print "10". wait 1.
print "9". wait 1.
print "8". wait 1.
print "7". wait 1.
print "6". wait 1.
print "5". wait 1.
print "4". wait 1.
print "3". wait 1.
print "2". wait 1.
print "1". wait 1.

lock throttle to 0.65.
lock steering to up + R(0,0,180).
stage.
print "Launch!".
wait 1.
stage.

wait until altitude >1500.
lock steering to up + R(0,0,180) + R(0,-15,0).
print "Pitching to 15 degrees.".

wait until altitude >4500.
lock steering to up + R(0,0,180) + R(0,-30,0).
print "Pitching to 30 degrees.".

wait until altitude >9500.
lock steering to up + R(0,0,180) + R(0,-60,0).
print "Pitching to 60 degrees.".

wait until stage:liquidfuel < 1930.
lock throttle to 0.
stage.
print "Strap on Boosters Jettisoned.".
lock throttle to 1.

wait until altitude >31500.
lock steering to up + R(0,0,180) + R(0,-75,0).
print "Pitching to 75 degrees.".

wait until apoapsis > 85200.
lock throttle to 0.
lock steering to prograde.
print "Waiting for circularization burn.".

wait until eta:apoapsis < 25.
lock throttle to 1.
print "Burn.".

wait until stage:liquidfuel < 580.
lock throttle to 0.
wait 5.
stage.
print "Kerputnik 1 is now in Low Kerbin Orbit!".
//end program

I've setup a new Minmus mining rig after finding out I had a 7.1% concentration in the flats by 5° North

2dbo3v4.jpg

There is a near future technology nuclear reactor in the mining rover's cargo bay, but so far the gigantors are enough. The tanker tanks are procedural tanks.

Today I launched my first serious attempt at an orbital shipyard with Extraplanetary Launchpads. This is the first ORCA line of space stations, and if it's successful, I may deploy more where they can be more easily supplied with parts mined from convenient places, such as the Mun perhaps. I haven't got the survey satellites up yet - there are plans to launch those... from ORCA-01!

Launched my Kerputnik-1A (in celebration of Sputnik's 58th Anniversary today), with kOS.

It's already 4th of October?! I think I had a spare R-7 somewhere...

And here is my Sputnik replica

(the only mod is kOS)

And yes, these early satellites were really deployed in such elliptic orbits. And the launcher of Sputnik-1 was rigged to just burn until it runs out of fuel (to reduce its mass they uninstalled some of the navigation systems of the ICBM)

It's already 4th of October?! I think I had a spare R-7 somewhere...

And here is my Sputnik replica

(the only mod is kOS)

And yes, these early satellites were really deployed in such elliptic orbits. And the launcher of Sputnik-1 was rigged to just burn until it runs out of fuel (to reduce its mass they uninstalled some of the navigation systems of the ICBM)

And I thought my framerates were terrible! :D Nice job though. We seemed to have the same flight profile for our R7, except that my Kerputnik's orbit wasn't as elliptical as yours.

Used a spaceplane for a "station" contract, caught a wild orbital laboratory, and bashed together a replacement for some lost solar panels.

7198eecc465b42b18c57ff28e70ba7f2.png

2f14656c52e48f70ed7609928ee1e097.png

First up, I put an antenna in the cargo bay of SixPlane, which is actually not for cargo. It's just where the probe core, batteries, docking port, monopropellant, and solar panels are kept, along with a bit of fuel. This made it valid to fulfill a space station contract I had: it holds five people, has power generation and storage, and has an antenna. So, I put it up into orbit and docked it with Stopover, taking up two scientists and three tourists. I put a bunch of excess fuel into the station, but this isn't a big fuel tanker plane.

3a24090e2e82a47336c730a1246d29fe.png

ab7bc8df19ada968eaa2ab2bfc92a845.png

My lab tug finally used up the last dregs of fuel in its lifter during the rendezvous with the lab itself. This lab was left by a rescuee, and means I don't have to send one up yet. Unfortunately, the lab isn't quite on the centre line, so the centre of mass is a bit off. Also, I somehow broke the solar panels on the way to the lab, or possibly while attempting to grab it (I didn't put them away). So, I've come up with a solution, which should be good for both issues:

8586c2e4285987e1ac636db90e88b4d9.png

5b64e974881127801d4b34891aaf6e92.png

Send up a probe to dock on one side as a small counterweight, and also provide some solar power. I just slapped it onto the nose of a Triangle that I was sending up for a rescue mission, it'll be fine. I did get it to orbit, just about, but I used up all the oxidiser in the plane, and a bit of the oxidiser in the probe. I redistributed the fuel and oxidiser a bit, and now the probe has about a fifth of its tank, and the plane has the rest. There should be enough there for the rendezvous and return or the plane, if I'm frugal. A fifth of a tank is probably a bit more than necessary for the probe, though. Hopefully, those little flaps from the solar panel box won't make docking this awkward. Maybe I'll retract them for the docking...

My lab tug finally used up the last dregs of fuel in its lifter during the rendezvous with the lab itself. This lab was left by a rescuee, and means I don't have to send one up yet. Unfortunately, the lab isn't quite on the centre line, so the centre of mass is a bit off. Also, I somehow broke the solar panels on the way to the lab, or possibly while attempting to grab it (I didn't put them away). So, I've come up with a solution, which should be good for both issues:

Can't you just right click the Klaw, "Target Center of Mass" then align yourself to fix that, exactly as you would with an asteroid?

I am freaking out! Today i landed my first (unmanned) Laythe colonisation and miningrig in one shot! Now the engineers can land with a SSTO parked in orbit an get the stuff running! OMG! :0.0::0.0::0.0:

E2jvJl2.png

Can't you just right click the Klaw, "Target Center of Mass" then align yourself to fix that, exactly as you would with an asteroid?

I haven't actually seen the Target CoM thing before. Would I have to release the lab, and then attempt to attach again without blocking the possibility of using my Thuds to pull the lab? The tug is out of monopropellant, too, so fine maneuvers will be difficult (but might still be doable).

Also, I've never actually caught an actual asteroid, and this is the first time I've caught something with the intent of moving it, rather than draining it (i.e. getting the last dregs of fuel from some debris).

Today, I published my first craft file in The Spacecraft Exchange, after having made some nice albums of it.

After playing KSP for a year, and only rarely building anything I found worthy of presenting here, I have now built what I consider my best craft ever.

I didn't know this when I started it, and I have no idea why I did this at all, since the thing is utterly useless for anything. Except, that is, for having had a blast building it, finetuning it, and now just flying it. It's too much fun to keep this craft to myself.

More importantly, I for once managed to FINISH something. This craft is now as good as I can make it. I can not tune anything anymore, there is nothing more to add, and there is also nothing to take away.

But I don't even know what this is.

It's not a spaceplane, as it never gets there. It's not a normal atmospheric plane, because it has no useful range. In fact, it is so stunningly useless, it can't even take off again after landing once, because it stages its gear away after takeoff.

Although it was made to distinctively resemble a real-life machine from planet Earth, it is not really a replica, because it does not attempt to look too realistic. In fact, it looks like its real-life counterpart in exactly the same way as Kerbals look like humans...

What the pictures don't show, is how the thing handles. I spent a lot of effort on this, and it paid off. Not by numbers but by character, it resembles many of the reported characteristics of its real counterpart.

Albums:

Link to The Spacecraft Exchange

Added the living quarters section to my space station and attached truss sections in preparation for the next construction delivery of docking ports, scientific instruments, the processing lab, and (perhaps) and empty fuel tank to be filled later. This is my first station I've built using life support mods, so it will be interesting to see if I can remember to resupply them on occation.

I took a small break from the restrictive world of plane-replica building, and sent my very first true base to Minmus.

rBwp7JA.png

iaUZl94.png

WdwSusb.png

JJD8yOa.png

WUJ7fHF.png

9jPje6F.png

6yIMjg7.png

Actually, a lot of things went wrong during launch -- The main engine blew after booster separation, I descended to Minmus almost completely horizontally before I killed my horizontal velocity very low to the ground.. But hell, am I proud of this thing. Even if it practically has no use and doesn't even have an ISRU system, I love it.

Lots of Rocketry and science performed this weekend, I build a return vessel that i used to go to the Mun and Minmus and back, then modified it to include science jr pods and lots of science items and went there again (and brought it all back) mega science allowed me to unlock the mainsail and orange tank.

With those enabled I had enough delta V to take a small Mun base out and land it, it's currently sat on the Mun doing interesting experiments :D

I've now built a transit lander with the mk3 pod and hitchiker can to ferry scientists out and return a pilot and engineer to Kerbal, managed to land it 1k away from the base (serious achievement for me)

I've also sent a probe out which will be making an eve pass later on sadly no orbit (not enough Delta V) but the periapsis i'm hoping to get LEO and grab some readings.

After a week of mucking abou.... (sorry) 'testing' Orion craft in Sandbox, I got back to career and set off to grab some science from the Munar north pole, funded by a couple of 'test component' contracts. The objective is to get a Kerbal as close as possible to the pole but I know already that the terrain is not very lander friendly there!

I currently have the lander and rover in LKO but may have to leave Aldmey & Gusbal to do some systems checking for a few days as I am a bit busy IRL.

There is also a Mun tourist contract being offered. If I can add enough dV to my economy tourist lander I might use it to put a probe at the pole as a target and get some preliminary data.

Watch this space...

Discovered an asteroid on a collision course with Kerbin! :confused: I designed and launched a flight of asteroid-redirect thrusters. It took some doing to figure out how to put them on a good intercept course, but they're on their way. (I presume the asteroid hitting Kerbin will have no practical game effect-- unless it happens to hit KSC-- but for RP purposes and also as an opportunity to pull an asteroid into a convenient orbit...)

Probe #2 arrived at Duna and the planned aerobraking was a moderate success. It wasn't enough to slow the probe to the point of capture, but I calculate that it did save approximately 500 m/s of delta V in the process, which I will cheerfully expend elsewhere.

Fiddled around with the "Cacteye" telescope some more. Still haven't quite got the hang of it.