What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I FRICKIN LANDED ON DUNA FOR THE FIRST TIME AFTER 2000+ HOURS OF PLAYING KSP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, sort of. I'm testing my new Duna lander (based on a certain ascent vehicle from a certain recent movie) so I hyperedited it into orbit above Duna to see how well it could land. The way I came in for landing ended up being fairly inefficient as I nearly burned all of my fuel by the time I touched down (even though I had a good 300m/s buffer). But considering this was my first soft landing on an atmospheric body other than Kerbin I think I did well.

But even though I technically cheated (by skipping the whole Duna transfer thing), it still is the first time I've landed any Kerbal safely on another planet. And suffice it to say, IT WAS FRICKIN AWESOME! Obviously I landed in a relatively uninteresting area but even so. In doing this I've finally found the inspiration and drive to actually go through with an entire Duna exploration program, something I've been trying to get off the ground since forever but never could do because I'd either get bored and want to change up my mods or I'd end up playing something else.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

A group of Mun tourists got an unexpected treat when I put them into polar orbit. Little did they know they were paying to ship a probe to the pole.

Inspired by one of Xactar's creations (All hail Xactar!), it has so many legs I christened it the 'Flick Colby':

eDQfemrh.png

Retroburn and touchdown at then let Isacc Newton take over:

SE6ogJ0h.png

At the bottom of the hill, retract a few legs to stabilise it and start transmitting data:

cu9IJSth.png

The battery would have allowed me to TX a couple of bits of science but, fortunately, it landed on the sunny side of the hill so I was able to use solar to TX continuously. The hills around it aren't to steep (for the pole) and it's within a few clicks of the north pole so the next mission is to see how close to it I can get to it with a Kerballed rover.

What does "procedural" mean in this context, beyond "make thing any size & shape I want?"

In this case... it means the wrong choice of words was used :) We could go for 'quantised,' or even 'atomic,' in that without mods, you're tied to specific sizes of component that can't be reduced or broken down?

(Nothing about KSP is procedural afaik - even asteroids are 'random' which is a different animal altogether.)

I began my reddit weekly challenge with the launch of the Duna scanner. Following will be 2 Mars Ascent Veichles and 2 Rovers, plus Pathfinder and Sojonour, and RTGs (you can see where this is going)

My Asteroid Redirect mission was successful, turning an incoming asteroid aside into a low Kerbin orbit. I need to send up another booster to get it down to an acceptable inclination (it's currently at 25 degrees-- it started out at 95) and then I can use it as a test object for mining ideas.

On the down side, though, KSC lost contact with the second Duna probe (i.e., I seem to have missed a KAC alarm and it presumably went blooey). Still have another probe inbound, but with different instrumentation, so I'm not going to get the total coverage I was hoping for. Darnit.

Long time no play, so I restarted a career in 1.0.4 and took my B crew and a noob pilot to the poles for science.

I'm quite happy with this R&D plane design, it handles really well and can cross (almost) half the planet at Mach 3.

When I realised that I would have an electricity problem at the poles because 6 wimpy solar panels are not enough with the grazing sunlight, I came up with a brilliantly stupid plan* and cut the engines as soon as I saw the ice cap, after a little detour to get an atmo analysis over the tundra.

I decided to keep some fuel to generate electricity while on the ground to transmit data. The it hit me that I would have to land in the mountainous area of the poles, which lead to an incredibly stupid "dive landing" once a flat area had spotted.

As I've said, this is is a kind and gentle plane and tweaking the tail winglets to try to have them act as airbrakes certainly helped... :D

* Said plan forgot to take into account the fact that the plane would have to be recovered on the ice cap anyway (out of fuel) and that the MPL could store quite a few experiments, negating the need to transmit stuff... :cool:

Spent my time last night designing. Up first was the design of a converter-lander craft, which I ultimately dubbed the Midas 7. I went ahead and tested the design of the lander on the launch pad last night and so far it looks like the thing should work just fine. She should be able to launch, transit to Kerbin's moons and land all under its own power; at over 3500 m/s of on-board delta-v I'm thinking the design could be utilized for outer planets as an orbital platform as well. Only problem there - she uses KAS connector ports, not docking ports, which is not insurmountable. I still need to go ahead and design a booster for it but with the payload mass (just shy of fifty tonnes) that's a pretty trivial exercise, especially given how far along I am up the tech tree. I probably won't be able to launch it until I'm in a spot where I need it, though; I still haven't collected on that √350,000 contract for Minmus ore miining yet and at this point I'd probably need the cash first...

My second design of the night was the Magpie 7:

djSFTjp.png

She's designed to be able to haul down loads of ore from LKO. FAR was telling me she'd have pitch-up tendencies, and naturally FAR was right; I only had time for one test flight last night but it ended spectacularly, with the plane completely disintegrating around 13k and 500 m/s from a quick pitch-up while trying to keep the plane's attitude steady. The basic numbers of the plane's desired wing area, wing loading and aspect ratio are correct, so I'm thinking my first bit of corrective action will be to give more sweep to the main wing as well as the tail to try and bring that CoL back a bit. I'm thinking the design will need more fuel before its all said and done as well; I'm still about eight tonnes shy of the FAR single-Turbojet recommended limit and the back tank is dry in that screenie, so I've got some room to maneuver there. Tweaks to the plane are on the agenda for this evening; like I said, she's only had a single test flight, which was going well up until the sudden ending...

Other planned activities for the evening - I plan on using the Project Peacock 7 craft docked at Minmusport to go rescue Theogel from Minmus's orbit, continue harvesting ore from Minmus, and possibly launch a few probes for contracts. All dependent upon how much time I'll have tonight, and I imagine tweaks to the Magpie will take up more time than I suspect.

One last screenie before I go - the Old Coot 7:

hbBUYkr.png

This is my new rescue plane design, the one I used to pick up Seandard from Kerbin's orbit the other day; this particular screenie was taken at the end of Bob's unauthorized joyride the last test flight.

Edited by capi3101

Nothing about KSP is procedural afaik
Planetary features are a mix of heightmap and procedural. Those fuel tanks I used are procedural. E: Also, a lot of RO and RP-0 parts are built procedurally through ModuleManager. Edited by regex

Planetary features are a mix of heightmap and procedural. Those fuel tanks I used are procedural. E: Also, a lot of RO and RP-0 parts are built procedurally through ModuleManager.

I stand corrected, didn't know about the terrain, thought there was just a selection of height maps that would be loaded depending on your detail settings :) I feel my ignorance about modded parts was forgivable however ^^

I finally got my asteroid/fuel depot in a reasonable orbit of Tylo(~50x80), only to discover that I do not have enough d-v to land on Tylo. (at least not enough fuel for my Thuds, plenty of d-v for the VASMIR but that can only give me ~1m/s/s and that does not help much on Tylo) So I am giving up on my plans to visit Tylo and Lathe with this craft.

Headed back to Vall because I forgot to take pictures, then I set out for Bop.

After I explore Bop, I'll probably swing by Lathe to get orbital and upper-atmospheric data before heading to Pol and finally Eeloo.

I stand corrected, didn't know about the terrain, thought there was just a selection of height maps that would be loaded depending on your detail settings :) I feel my ignorance about modded parts was forgivable however ^^
Well, to be fair that's actually not a Semyorka, it's a Vostok... :blush:

The engineers realized, after building the latest city, that they had somehow damaged the VTOL rotors on the D-9 Constructor beyond repair. Unfortunately, as they are a very integral system, a whole new D-9 was needed.

A D-4 Skimmer was dispatched to the derelict D-9, and the crew transferred. The last one out of the D-9 shut down the propellers, closed the bay, shut off the lights, and wrote "CONDEMNED" in large friendly letters on the side of the cockpit.

8lHsWRT.jpg

The engineers were taken back to KSC3, where they will help build the new D-9, and then continue the quest of colonization.

Kind of follow Scott Manleys' RSS on youtube and started the same thing. Trying to get through the sound barrier. Took me 5 hours to get this airborn! Now see if it will work

9nvy1Lr.png

Edit:

It kind of worked, concept is going to work...

Edited by Loerelau