What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I visited Moho, Dres and Eeloo today. I'm not sure what was the toughest one. I always had to bring >2500 m/s dV for an orbit around them. Am I doing it wrong?

Moho needs about that, but Eeloo and Dres are closer to 1500, assuming perfect Hohman transfers from Kerbin. i.e., you didn't have to go way outside of eeloo and fall back, or didn't nail it on the outward leg of a journey that would have done that. Ideally, you want to touch Eeloo or Dres at your apoapsis, and Moho at your periapsis, and Kerbin should be about at your periapsis of your Dres and Eeloo transfer orbits and at your apoapsis of your Moho transfer orbit.

Today I completely, utterly, and hopelessly botched a rescue mission to the MUN. I have a crew orbiting the MUN but out of fuel to get home. Seems simple enough. First mistake (besides running out of fuel in the first place) was wasting too much trying to get closer (initial intercept was several kilometers apart). Then, when the rescue craft ran out of mono-propellant I switched to the lander to discover the symmetry was wrong on the nozzles on the lander... that was the second mistake. With only two nozzles, I could only translate up and down. I was able to hack it and kind of get things close enough by rotating 90 degrees to go left/right, then another 90 to go up/down ... That kinda worked until I got within a few meters and there wasn't enough time to rotate 90 to make the corrections. So I gave up and sent the rescue craft home and will be adding more mono-propellant and trying again.

*face-palm*

Your problem has nothing to do with the struts. A decouplers only decouples one side! The little red arrow points to the side that decouples, the other side stays attached to what ever it is connected to.

What you should have used is a separator. Separators detach from both sides.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/images/thumb/2/21/TR-XL.png/190px-TR-XL.png

This is what I meant to do just now. "Oh hey, look at that..." Yeah... you get it.

Getting ready for my next Duna mission. Took 4 launches to build it and need two more, lander/miner vehicle and crew+satellites.

There is an ISRU under the ship so i can do some refueling flights when at Ike if needed. And it's gonna kill my PC when she is ready, already have like 10-15fps... :(

Powered by a nuclear reactor seen between the engines with enough uranium to last centuries and if that ain't enough there are two changeable nuclear fuel drums near the reactor.

zZlsCqy.jpg

6urzyfz.jpg

I bought my crew safely home from Duna this morning, which validated my new vehicle design. I've just started another mission with a similar spacecraft/launcher, but with a few mass optimisations and a bit more living space for my Kerbals during the long trip out. It has orbital and ground based scanners to help me decide on a good location for the colony that's coming soon.

I put a command pod, a Mk I lander can, 4 airbrakes, a parachute, and a decoupler on top of a kickback to get my first tourist sub-orbital after figuring out that a spaceplane wouldn't work yet. but it will. soon. once I research more Mk IV parts. then, I will do it. and land it. with lots and lots of parachutes. and short sentences. I also designed another plane to try to get sub-orbital, this time using two LV-30's instead of 1, bigger wings (I think), and more fuel. also, got science from jeb going eva in space with the tourist and also getting crew reports and eva reports and surface samples from the landing site.

Built the lander section and support vessel to go to Mars (RSS). Testing launch vehicle, reentry (7km/s), landing on solid ground. Using inflatable heat shield for extra protection.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Tonight I will start recording first leg of the mission to Mars. RSS/RO/RVE

Edited by hellblazer

I've had a busy past few days. Pictured are the following:

Minmus drilling lander, landed just a few meters from the scanning rover I had landed earlier. This is my first time playing with the ISRU stuff.

Probe arrives to Moho, for polar scanning. Minimum orbit for capturing, then planechanged to polar at AP for 42m/sec.

Orbital refinery and fuel depot. Docking a small craft designed to cycle some crew back to Kerbin.

Got bored with the same few science experiments (stock really need a bunch more), so I installed the D-Magic Orbital Science mod.

Not pictured is kicking my ElooHorizons probe out to Eloo from a low Kerbin parking orbit. Had the idea and put that probe up there some time ago, just waited for the window to open up.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Eve window is next, and I have an explore Gilly contract. I don't think I have ever been there with a Kerbal before.

I completed my first career mode SSTO. It's also my first non rapier SSTO post 1.0. I launched my first official mission with it today.

It used to be called Wiplash Mk1 but apparently C7 has that name copyrighted. It's been renamed Kepler Mk1.

HlnoB6V.png

This satellite will boost itself to a keosynchronous orbit.

PF9g2WU.png

After recovery, I only spent 3500 bucks on this mission.

4aEi4j8.png

I exchanged two less cool long-range satellites around kerbin with three more cool satellites.

But man, this was finicky.

Those sats have 6 large dish antennas and a mass of nearly 5t each. And I moved as much mass at the front to get a stable flight during acceleration.

But even the 4.8 thrust ion engine of NearFuture propulsion made the satellite freaking out badly during the circularization burn.

I had to do it very gently in a 12 minute burn for each sat.

BTW: It's really bad if you position and fine-tune your satellite and then activate the dishes with an action group that will toggle ALL antennas on the satellite.

deactivating the already active Communotron 32 in the proccess....

This little red calculator icon in the upper left corner basicly says: "You failed!" :huh:

Edited by Cairol