What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Been mucking about with the New Horizons mod lately. It completely reworks the solar system and makes Kerbin a moon of a gas giant. Makes from some very stunning views:

Zlnde3b.png

07uOHoX.png

hFEkJhD.png

3BoQ2Dj.png

kZYfnum.png

NcvSfHV.png

Xxmg74f.png

This is Serran. It orbits the same gas giant as Kerbin. I was all set up to land a small base there, switched scenes, then all of a sudden everything I had orbiting Serran (including the base) was now orbting Lave in a completely different sub-system.

DbuSA7M.png

With nothing better to do, I tried landing there anyway.

V6Jyti4.png

5lSLU6Y.png

Took a few tries.

k3TNmGT.png

Kerbal kooperation! When you kan't kwite reach the kontainer alone!

mzShSWx.png

Of course, now these two are completely borked as I have no way of returning them Kerbin and they'll probably run out of snacks long before I can research the technology to do so.

ordered 4 pizzas and launched my first manned duna mission.

the entire mission consists of 3 launches. a station with science lab for low duna orbit, a disposable transfer stage to bring the station there and to bring back the lander and crew when the mission ends, and a lander with mining equipment. on board are jeb, bob, bill to repack the parachutes, and a second scientist vil-something

the lander can carry a bit more fuel than it needs to link up with the station in orbit, every time it visits a biome and returns to the science lab it also transfers a bit of fuel into the transfer stage so eventually everybody can go home again

1D91F1B647033086F9CA1EA87202332CC7ACC246

lander launch vehicle. the lander itself has enough dv for the duna transfer

B3978ABDA0C75A8C22EEF45151B897116F18AA69lander on it's way to duna

937D89AB7AC043C2C614882ADA4F7A530909C401

the station being pushed into duna orbit by the transfer stage

2472AC4EDA3317C654E1C1F5BB89AA4EB207ED3D

first manned landing, the guys are taking some samples while the lander refuels

7BDAE368BD86AB7042A96B2341BEE9195C86B1F3delivering the science

Edited by Belphegor

This has been an KSP day so I did lots of stuff most of them was in the class of rescue opperations.

First I had to rescue this sicence lander from very low Duna orbit, Pe is inside atmosphere so I had to intercept at Ap.

AzTicHUl.png

Dock, top up tanks and let the orion take it into polar orbit for next landing, the base is finally finished mining and went to Ike to deliver ore for an contract.

Then in preparation for the Gilly mission I wanted to expand the crew and wanted to test an new 3 man reuseable rocket.

As the SRB setup was messed up I only had 150 m/s left in orbit, then I found I had selected the wrong target, however it was an fuel depot so I though I could just add 3-400 m/s dV and do an expensive burn to mothership, stupid fuel depot was empty, has to remember to rename them.

Time to plan an new and low cost intercept with something with fuel or have something help the shuttle.

Started to wonder why mechjeb was offline was not sure if I had 70 or 50 m/s left.

Well it turned out I had more serious problems than an missing mechjeb.

ZLErNIal.png

My ship and became a junk heap this made making dV calculations for it pretty pointless.

Now the other fun part is to get another ship into the asteroid belt I have created, it will not be my 4 million credit mothership :)

- - - Updated - - -

upped a vid of my mission to eve

Combination of brute force and finesse :)

Bonus for the plane, that was genial, also anybody sane would deorbited it afterward, doing it during landing is an extra bonus.

Make me thinking if an rocket plane might work better than an rover for the gather all science at Eve project.

If 1.05 is close I might add the small ISRU unit on plane.

I reproduced your design (Because it's beautiful!), except with top pod being mk1-2 3 kerbal pod (stuffed with 3, 3star engineers). I landed on Kerbin in a 0.018% area and it was very slowly draining fuel away instead of making some.

I can conclude that for your design to be worth it, you need at least a 0.03 (or 3%) ore vein. Maybe all 5 star engineers would yield better results as well.

Nice design !

[EDIT]

Yup, found a 7% ore vein on the Mun and it works fine. Loving it... Thanks again for the elegant idea !

Thanks Frrancois, forgot to put a survey antenna on my design, so first landing was 'pot luck', then found somewhere flatter to relocate too.

I'm thinking to put the antenna on the lander and detach in orbit and land on a good site.

Any way , a smaller antenna would be better, perhaps some could reconfigure the small rotating hexagon paddle one...?

Combination of brute force and finesse :)

Bonus for the plane, that was genial, also anybody sane would deorbited it afterward, doing it during landing is an extra bonus.

Make me thinking if an rocket plane might work better than an rover for the gather all science at Eve project.

If 1.05 is close I might add the small ISRU unit on plane.

go for it ! i think a refuelable plane would make great sense for gathering science, but the isru is too heavy for lifting it around in the lower eve-atmosphere, im afraid. i would think of some kind of ground refueling station in addition to the plane.

... and thx for calling me genius and insane in the same sentence ;)

Last January I stopped playing this game after a bit more than a month of gameplay and reaching Eve with a probe.

Today I started again in a fresh career, with FAR, RT, KAS, Station Science, RealChutes and some minor thingies.

Dawn spacecraft left the atmosphere to a whooping +200,000m on the first flight:

MnUBoja.jpg

KD43OA5.jpg

Sunrise achieved stable low orbit around Kerbin, it was a close call with the fuel but in the end there was just enough left to send her back down at an angle:

9gTM5JC.jpg

lS3CIRk.jpg

In between I did a few contracts, but nothing special.

Edited by ROXunreal

go for it ! i think a refuelable plane would make great sense for gathering science, but the isru is too heavy for lifting it around in the lower eve-atmosphere, im afraid. i would think of some kind of ground refueling station in addition to the plane.

... and thx for calling me genius and insane in the same sentence ;)

We see then the new small ISRU is out. Else its an option to put it on the rocket like you do, have an option to drop both fuel tanks and ISRU units from orbit is also an option.

Has done some tests with Eve landers, main problem is accurate landing.

Original plan was to drop an rover with science equipment, have it do science in the biomes around its landing spot then drop an lander to take the kerbal back.

An plane might have longer realistic range and is faster. I might look into some electrical propellers to. Tried it for the rocket but it used to much power and was unstable.

And the brute force part was the typical pre 1.0 rocket with no transfer stage. The finesse was the Mun slingshot, the direct return and the plane.

Been working on this:

IRVSceK.png

That's a Class E in the center, with a Class D, three Class C's and a Class B. You can see a miner grappled onto the Class D on the right. I'm hoping to try out RoverDude's Asteroid Recycling Technologies mod to turn this beast into a fuel station.

Been working on this:

http://i.imgur.com/IRVSceK.png

That's a Class E in the center, with a Class D, three Class C's and a Class B. You can see a miner grappled onto the Class D on the right. I'm hoping to try out RoverDude's Asteroid Recycling Technologies mod to turn this beast into a fuel station.

Great station-thing!

I made a successful test run, in my sandbox game, of the Tylo part of my (first) planned Jool-5 expedition. Basically, I put the transfer stage with the two-kerbal rover already docked into Laythe's orbit (where I'm planning to set the mothership when I run the actual mission) and went to Tylo's surface and back with it. It worked, and I even had fuel to spare :D

Now I need to design a mothership to send the whole thing without hyperedit :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album

After a few days off, made my first non-explosive landing on the Mun in 64K.

eE9DGOC.jpg?1

The primary mission was to rescue the crew of the first non-non-explosive landing.

wU4fNRY.jpg?1

Since the lander wasn't built to land back on Kerbin, I had to send up a node to the Science Dragon IV space station to allow it to dock. Good chance to use the KW petal adapter for an Apollo-Soyuz style mission.

Ks1UcYy.jpg?1

With the node installed, the Mun rocket arrived at the space station and the crew of the original landing finally returned to Kerbin. Which itself was a bit of an adventure, but that's a story for another time.

Been working on this:

Wgering, you realize what you could do- cover the whole thing with scaffolding, and make it the core of a massive station!

Been working on this:

My guess is that you will summon kraken, all my atempts to handle E class has summoned it and coupling two asteroids together sounds dangerous.

I visited Asclepius and Kruel for the first time by sending a space station, 2 spaceplanes and one probe. And I m preparing a second expedition with a base for Kruel, 2 more spaceplanes, one survey satellite, one small lander and an ore ferry.

KSP_Asclepius00.jpgKSP_Asclepius02.jpg

KSP_Asclepius01.jpgKSP_Kruel_00.jpg

Just a quiet day testing an idea for a cargo lander:

hMSJqMah.png

When suddenly:

"Mayday! mayday! This is Luddon Kerman. My ship has been destroyed and I am stranded on Minmus!" ( Hey, Jeb, we got another one stranded. Big bucks too! We will have to postpone the next Mun trip but it looks like you can place your order for that new Edsel! )

"This is KSC to Luddon Kerman: We copy your distress call and have received your transponder coordinates. We have a ship in LKO which can be sent to your location by Remote Guidance. Hang in there, buddy" (Jeb, How do I engage R.G. on RL1 from here? Is is 0121 or can I use 0800? )

8 days later...

"KSC to Luddon: The lander has touched down about 2km from your location and is tracking towards you." (Ok Jeb, so I bounced your best ship a couple of times. Quit whining. See! The wheels still work... )

A few minutes later...

"KSC to Luddon: You are on our monitor. Looking good. If you turn round you should see the lander approaching." ( What's he doing with his back to us? Building a sandcastle? )

"KSC to Luddon: Please make visual contact immediately!" ( Look out you stupid *geep*. How do you stop this thing? Whoa, baby. WHOA! )

FPTnMo4h.png

A few minutes later...

"KSC to Luddon: Welcome aboard and help yourself to snacks. You have control. Ascend when ready." ( Well, that went fine. He should be back in LKO in a week or so. Get the tourists back into preflight. #We're in the money, dum,dum,de,dum. We're in the money...# )

A few more minutes later...

"Luddon Kerman to KSC: I think I had a problem with the ascent..."

bajDRbkh.png

"KSC to Luddon: We copy that. Stand by. We will send a ship with an experienced pilot this time..." ( Oh Krak! Jeb, get over to the VAB and prep. the new RL4. Looks like we need to bring the test flight forward a few days. Tell those tourists that their trip to the Mun will be delayed, unless they want to go the long way round. And cancel your order with 'Kerbin Ford'...)

The above was translated verbatim from the Chatterer Cockpit Voice Recorder as evidence for the forthcoming accident inquiry...

Tried rescuing 6 trapped kerbals from the mun using one ship, that had a 50% failure rate on my re-entry tests. Good enough *approved*

* Attempt one worked great... Perfect launch, perfect direct burn, and perfect direct landing 610m away from my guys... Sucked when I ran out of fuel on the return trip. Needed 460 more dV. Pushing with RCS was going to take just too long, so I reverted and exited. Just cant stay focused in KSP anymore. :( I would have probably been ok if I burned the other direction. Took careful balancing the power because it had no solar, so i had to disable the battery in the remote guidance unit until it came time to burn, and i only had 30 units of power to aim the right way and light the engine to recharge... It was a fun exercise...

* Attempt 2 was a struggle to launch because i wanted to carry a little more fuel, but the launch was a nightmare. low TWR on the pad (under 1.3), had to dip into my landing/return fuel on the mun injection and I just knew I didn't have enough to get home. Reverted.

* Attempt 3 has a bigger launch platform, but it has yet to fly to space. I had to quit KSP to take care of something else... Maybe ill try it again later today.

I visited Asclepius and Kruel for the first time by sending a space station, 2 spaceplanes and one probe...

I rather like your colour scheme here... all mine end up being blue/purple, but yours is a warmer set of hues. Might pinch it next career :)

Wound up at home watching my youngest for most of the day on Friday and he entertains himself well, so I had a fair amount of time to play that day. I began by revising the design of the Sojourner 7 survey probe and launching it to Mun for a contract; I don't need Sojourners for Kerbin's moons at this point, but it still made me a fair chunk of change when I got it into position. I was a might concerned after the launch when it looked like the craft wasn't recharging; I looked at the panels and when they said "Blocked by Mun", I had the notion to go take a look at Kerbol and caught a solar eclipse in progress. After that I launched a quick series of craft in succession, largely supporting mining operations - I began by launching Bob to Mun aboard a Fireball 7b craft to gather science and plant a flag for contract. Next, I launched a Mosquito 7 drilling rig, a refinery base module for Munport and lastly a Midas 7 refinery lander all headed for Mun. I was down to √156k by the end of afternoon play that day. I decided to hold off on launching a Wildcat control and ore-delivery lander for Mun for now, at least until Theogel (an engineer rescued from Minmus) finally arrives back at Kerbin. I plan for him to head for Munport aboard the Wildcat, pick up Verise (the engineer already there), and then land them near the Mosquito to begin drilling ops in earnest.

Things started arriving at their destinations during play that evening; I had a proper flotilla arriving at Mun, with the Sojourner probe arriving in Mun's SOI a full ten minutes ahead of the refinery base and then the Fireball arriving at Mun's SOI as those two craft were approaching their orbital insertion burns. The Mosquito and Midas craft also arrived at one hour intervals, as the prior craft was nearing their insertion burns - so I had my hands full there for a while, and was grateful for having KAC to keep everything straight. The arrival of the Midas craft was particularly hair raising, as it happened while the refinery module was on final docking approach with Munport. Speaking of which, I wound up with the refinery base's transfer stage nearly full of fuel, and I made an attempt to dock with it still attached to the craft. Unfortunately, I had no RCS thrusters on it and I couldn't compensate for its mass, so I had to dump it - which I was most certainly NOT happy about seeing as how the Munport station was completely out of fuel. I suppose on the plus side, with the refinery module attached to the Mun it should be able to manufacture its own fuel as soon as I can get some ore up there. I ended play on Friday by finding a suitable landing site for the Mosquito drilling rig and putting it on the Munar surface. Drilling ops on Mun have commenced.

I was out of town on Saturday and arrived back in town late Sunday, so not a lot happened over the rest of the weekend. I did go ahead and land Bob to begin gathering surface science, and I landed the Midas lander as close to the Mosquito lander as I could get it. Bit of a botch there - she landed on her side - but given that that the lander is not supposed to take off from Mun, it was an "acceptable" landing. I just hope I won't have the same kind of problems when the Wildcat ultimately begins making delivery runs to Munport...

Meanwhile, a Midas lander and refinery module are both en route to Minmus to support mining operations there, as is the Enola Gay craft with its batch of tourists. All of these craft should arrive in the next three days.

So earlier today in KSP, I lifted a HAMAL-type Satellite for basic Kerbin mapping, along with some other experiments.

L1RjCEK.png

It was supposed to carry a Radio-Plasma Wave scanner in the configurable experiment compartment (along with the magnetometer and goo units), but the engineers confused it with an extra fuel tank and put that in instead (typical)... Whatever the case, upper management wasn't happy and some feathers were rustled. Fortunately, the added weight of the misplaced fuel did not impede the launch and the HAMAL-Sat is now happily mapping away, providing low-resolution data for analysis.

Later (about 3 Kerbal weeks in-game), the boys and girls in KSC were ecstatic when the MINA-L probe achieved the first soft landing performed on Minmus, after it also became the first Kerbal-made object to orbit the tiny planetoid. Shortly after its' landing, the probe sent the first ever laser surface sample from Minmus.

nm48kfh.png

Like most USSK satellites and probes, both the HAMAL and MINA-L were launched (separately) on a VK-9K carrier rocket. Note that the one carrying the HAMAL has a Launch Abort System since the satellite itself is derived from the (still in-development) Khleb Crewed Vehicle.

FivLVuU.png

Edited by BananaDealer