What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Made a research base near the runway and had it make science for a couple of years. Then tried and failed several times to make a good VTOL. I just want to get something to go do those temperature readings contracts that doesn't take five weeks to get there and can land in a small space without parachutes!

I spent my evening testing re entry of my duna return plane. Made adjustments to the new joy stick, making for easier landings. Unfortunately my minimus drill rig is not performing as needed, so tonight work may be a complete redesign of my ore harvester. As fuel is not being produced fast enough for ships queuing up for departure.

Over the weekend... well, finally got to my first Duna transfer in my 1.04 career game, so I fired off a bunch of ships at that... Duna lander, Duna polar sat, Duna synchronous orbit sat, Ike scilab, and a resource scanner which isn't contracted for but will get there and fully map out both Duna and Ike. I also wrangled the first asteroid threatening to obliterate itself on Kerbin, and now have it in a very eccentric orbit that I will be regularizing into LKO so I can start building a refuelling facility, and just generally use it as the basis for a central point to have crews and ships come and go as required. I'm aiming for maximum reusability of assets that I've gotten up off the surface of Kerbin, and I hope to be able to continue this so I can have things going on without it costing me tremendous amounts of money, either building the vessel or getting it into orbit. I'm also kind of looking at the idea of using asteroids in conjunction with KIS/KAS to orbital construction on the asteroids and use them as the basis for large vessels moving about the kerbin system... with a class E and mining and the right facilities built into/onto the asteroid I bet you can go hit a LOT of the bodies in Kerbin without necessarily having to worry so much about how much fuel you can carry with you. A little floating city on a rock, as it were.... and if there ever comes a time when stock comes with more than one star that's one way to approach interstellar transfers.

Anyway. Next up is taking the large group of Kerbals I've got orbiting Minmus and get them down to the surface, getting a flag on, and getting them back to the KSC so I can get them all to level three and then use them to build onto the asteroid I'm wrangling (which is the first one I've ever done, so I'm already looking at how to improve the ship design I'm using to conquer that thing... it's a class D and I've already figured out some of the shortcomings of my design for moving asteroids so I'm looking forward to improving on it... but it'll take a while because the Duna transfer has eaten ALL OF THE MONEY so until I can get some contracts dealt with I'm down to using the assets I have to get my science moving along for the next planetary transfer... plus I'm also hoping to unlock enough tech to be able to start looking seriously at making SSTOs happen, so I can move Kerbonauts up and down to my orbital station more cheaply than I'm able to currently.

Fun and games, fun and games :)

Brought home my first Mun and Minmus landers in my new game, they let me unlock Labs, ISRU and Nervas, so I took a 3 station missions(Kerbin, Minmus, Mun orbit), Tourists, and 3 rescue missions(so far), and launched a 500K Mk3 rocket into orbit capable of holding 22 kerbals(needed 16+ science), 1500 ore(missions require 1050 and 400), and 10K liquid fuel(Minmus station needs 6K), all pushed by 5 nervas.

Loaded up every Kerbal I had, and set out to get everyone up to 3 stars(Mun flag, Minmus flag, Kerbol Flyby).

Expected profits > 4M.

I also experimented with KAS/KIS and managed to successfully remove the struts and decoupler from the core of my lifter stage(still ~ 50 fuel), putting a docking port in place of the decoupler.

(the decoupler floated off as it did not fit in my inventory, next time I'll try a parts bin instead of just putting parts in kerbal inventories)

Unfortunately it looks like the life support recycler I used is not up for supporting the 10+ kerbals on board, fortunately I still have ~300 days worth of supplies for a mission that should take less than a month.(UKS)

I was thinking about leaving it up in orbit until I got a contract that requires I land 400 Minmus ore on Kerbin. Of course the next one is expected to have a few Gigantors instead of lots of shielded 1x6's, and that should make mining and refining go more smoothly.

Currently transiting from Mun to Minmus after visiting a couple new Mun biomes. Expecting to get that last Minmus Flats biome when I arrive, now that I have Minmus mapped.

Thought about taking them all the way to Duna for 4 stars, but my engine count was designed for easy Mun liftoff, and can manage ~2.7m/s/s, not Duna liftoff needing > 2.9m/s/s; even if 4km/s of delta-v would probably handle the trip quite well.

Now that I have the tech to go places, I should really set up a demonstration base a couple km from KSP so I can figure out exactly how all this UKS stuff works...

After Dawn and Sunrise spacecraft managed to leave the atmosphere and achieve orbit around Kerbin (respectively), my new career continues on with Munrise craft doing a successful flyby of Mun, and Salvation basic rescue vessel doing a first orbital rendezvous and rescuing a stranded astronaut for a contract.

Munrise:

YpsBo2j.jpg

2gsBmBw.jpg

Salvation:

YHEOUUw.jpg

RwX2EDE.jpg

Tomorrow we will achieve orbit around Mun, and after that send a lander. Then slowly build satellite communication network, put up a space station or two and visit Minmus. And then in a week or so pick off where I stopped 9 months ago - visiting other planets, which I never got around to in this game yet.

I finished designing my Eve/Gilly mission mothership and the rocket to lift it.

7rxGCfE.png

Cerenkov 1 has a mass of about 45 metric tons. The biggest rocket I had could only get 12 metric tons to LKO. So I had to design a new one.

bwvmmI3.png

It has a very high TWR of 2, but theoretically it should get Cerenkov to orbit.

After that I have to send up the Gilly lander, the crew, and the Eve probe. The entire mission will cost half a million funds. This is one of the most complex missions I've done in KSP. I am exited. :)

I completed my Duna campaign!!! First an orbital habitat and the lander were sent towards Duna. Later during the same window, the crew departed on board the Endeavour. (During as previous window a surface habitat had been sent and landed.)

Endeavour arriving in Duna orbit:

v=3GviTmA.png

And docked with the orbital habitat, lander and transfer stage:

XFUORfu.png

Jeb was able to land within 250 m of the base, not as good as his best result in the simulator (99m) but close enough!

cKt1GkV.png

The crew about to enter the base:

PrhSDvb.png

After an extended stay the crew returned to orbit and safely returned to Kerbin on board Endeavour.

opPfEaz.png

Opened up a new 64K save to try out some different mods, particularly Tantares, which I've always liked the look of but I've tended to find the parts a little on the lightweight side for the stock system. Figured they'd be perfect for 64K, though.

50g14YJ.jpg?1

Sent up a few comsats with this Soyuz-ish rocket.

RnB4MpJ.jpg?1

The main booster puts the satellite nearly into orbit; the final stage is a solid motor which kicks it into about a 150x2000km elliptical orbit.

81Kw2JL.jpg?1

Sent up a manned mission to try out a heavier booster.

xITnmiN.jpg?1

The Soyuz-type spacecraft makes orbit with plenty of delta-v left for maneuvering, though not enough to actually go anywhere in 64K.

So many awesome pictures and stories in this thread.

What I'm doing in regards to KSP today is... uhm... well I'm sipping coffee, so there's that... I mean, rockets might run on any number of exotic cryogenic fuels, but engineers and pilots run best on caffeine right?

Tho, yesterday I cleaned up my old array of medium range com sats (contract orbits), about 25 of them, and a few expensive, but somehow wrongly built scansats. All by lazy deletion. Yes... I could have deorbited each one manually or reused them at the orbital dock, but doing the same things that many times in a row?

Instead I designed a new, still cheap, but over deltav'ed, long range com sat series. Which lead to a heap of problems during deployment. Yes, overheat bug while timewarping. Tried other parts, tried turning it 90 degrees in the VAB and tried steams repair to no avail. Since they didn't explode and did slowly cool off while at no timewarp, I decided to deploy 6 of them to KEO orbit anyway and just never return to them.

Then I designed a specific ressources scanning sat, to be my first on orbit constructed thing and then... I proceeded to design a resupply rocket for delivering rocket parts to the station. Only to discover I had designed it around being empty. *lol* So that'll be the doover for today.

Placed my Orbital Refinery in equatorial Munar orbit, and landed the Munar Prospector in East Crater. A little worried about the amount of deltaV left in the Prospector lander after landing; I might have cut it too close. We will see.

A third launch will carry empty tanks to fit out the Refinery and more kerbonauts to fully staff it.