What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Last night I kicked it off with Bob aboard his Fireball 7a craft on a mission to farm science from Mun. I had landed him the previous night in the Highlands, so I went ahead and cleaned out that biome before moving on to the Highland Craters. Unfortunately, I finally understood that when Geschosskopf said "you need a bigger lander for Mun", he was referring specifically to the gas tanks. Rather than hit six or seven biomes before having to head back to Kerbin, the Fireball only had enough gas to get those two safely. I was able to retrieve Bob before the night was out and he came back with 1,477 science from the two biomes plus the fiddling he did with gravioli scans in orbit prior to landing, which was enough for me to unlock RAPIER engines and the long Mk3 fuel tanks. I'm definitely into the mop-up part of the tech tree at this point; there's not much else there I need to unlock (the 3.5 meter engines are probably the only thing left that I would class as "necessary", especially as I get ready to go to Duna). A redesign of the Fireball for Mun is in order, and now that I have the tech unlocked the time has come for me to finally fix the problems with the Albatross refueling plane.

Meanwhile, Theogel returned safely to Kerbin from Minmus aboard the original Project Peacock 7 craft, marking that craft's official retirement and the completion of his rescue contract. Since he was the only engineer available and I had the scratch to do so, he was promptly loaded up into a Wildcat ore-delivery lander and shot towards Mun. The plan is for his craft to dock with Munport when he arrives in two days time, pick up Verise from Munport station and land at the Munar drilling site in the East Crater to begin Munar drilling operations in earnest. Looking at my engineer roster, I seriously need to bring back some engineers from Minmus at this point. Or hire a few, perhaps...

Last thing that happened last night was the arrival of Enola Gay at Minmus. She entered orbit retrograde to Minmusport station but that was rectified during her orbital insertion burn, and the craft successfully rendezvoused and docked with the station. Cerxie (the pilot), Jenedith, Neillong, Eldorf and Arissa are scheduled to make a surface excursion this evening (which should fulfill a long-standing Minmus base contract I have yet to fulfill). I've considered setting them down at the Wildcat drilling site so that the Mun Buggy craft can be refitted with a KAS connector port; I don't know if I have the necessary tools at the Wildcat site though, and the Buggy should have sufficient fuel to go down and back easily as it is.

Replacement contracts these last few days - I've picked up some "up and down" tourist contracts and at this point I might just launch them all in a relatively low-tech rocket. Going to depend on whether or not I can make a profit by doing so, of course. I have a new Mun space station contract requiring room for seven, a cupola and the usual accouterments; I think my standard space station core covers those requirements but I'll know more once I've got the thing on the pad. The real question there is what to do with the thing once I've got it in place, whether to keep it as a second space station, dock it to Munport or run it into the Munar surface. Finally, I picked up a √900k contract to put a Class C rock in orbit of Minmus. That one just sounded like fun. Plus at this point I've got about √600k and nothing pressing to spend it on - the rest of my drilling hardware is up and en route to its respective destinations, I've got a plane to land and two to tweak, and nothing else going on. I do have five Duna-related contracts in the pipe now, so I may start thinking about how I'm going to go about fulfilling those in the near future.

Edited by capi3101

I have always struggled with airplanes in this game, before and after the revamped aerodynamics. I'm not sure if the new situation makes it easier or focuses on realism, but I was able to successfully fly to Gene's field (southern tip of KSC continent), do in-air temp scan for a contract, and return to KSC today. I'm pretty happy about it. The only "successful" flights I'd pulled off before were just quick test runs that did nothing more than do a few minutes of maneuvering followed by landing back at KSC or at the island runway. That said, I had to revert to launch a couple of times just because I couldn't get it in the air from the un-upgraded runway. I finally succeeded when I just made a 90 degree turn into the field to the south of KSC and took off from the grass. So much easier than the dirt runway. I landed the same way when I came back. I came in from the south. I touched down just past the shore and gradually tapped the brakes to slow it down. It got a little hairy when I couldn't slow down before reaching the Space Center, I took airborn again from one of the hills in KSC, glided between a satellite dish and tracking station building. I then managed to steer it around to finally park between the VAB and the Admin building.

Nobody was injured, nothing was damaged, I didn't have to use the braking chutes (though I probably should have), I landed back at KSC, and I completed the assigned task. Easily the most success I've ever had with an airplane in KSP.

Edited by Gods315Pawn

Sent a 3-kerbal mission (Pilot, scientist, tourist) to the Mun and back, netting some useful science points. A surface base is on its way to Minmus for a contract- hopefully the research lab will come in useful once I've figured out how it works. I also have Jeb, Bill and Bob (not intentional, they just happened to be available) heading on a brief excursion out of Kerbin's SOI. Bill is really only along for the ride on that mission to gain experience. Still getting accustomed to multi-kerbal crews in career mode, and that a scientist is actually very useful when there's science to do!

So after applying the 64bit workaround and getting a couple of beautification mods, I finally tested the Khleb Crewed Vehicle, launched on a VK-9K72. Here's an album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The objective of the launch was to not only be the first crewed flight of the vehicle, but also discern it's highest achievable apogee while still maintaining the lowest possible perigee. It managed just under 2,000km, with a perigee of 75km. Being designed for Low-to-Mid orbit flights, the VK-9K72 does not feature the orbital upper stage of the VK-9K.

Unfortunately, being the first actual test of the vehicle, CV-1 experienced several faults and issues like the solar panels failing to provide electrical charge. The biggest and most fatal fault in the vehicle was the malfunctioning of the capsule's parachute which failed to deploy- leaving the module crashing into the surface and killing the crew. Both ground-crew and engineers are scrambling to find the origin of the fault and remedy it on future vehicles.

I've finished designing my Jool-5 Mothership. The Jool transfer stage and the Laythe Lander will be sent to LKO in a different launch. I'll probably launch the mothership without fuel and I'll refuel in orbit, before departing.

I'll take a crew of four, and they'll use the Laythe Lander to return to Kerbin. That plane isn't an SSTO - the outwards rapiers can be staged, which I'll do, after I finish my Laythe exploration, so I save fuel for the return trip. I may end up putting some parachutes on it, so I can drop it by the KSC instead of sending an SSTO to pick up the returning crew.

bwtoDcC.jpg

Got my first on-site test of my multi-part ISRU operation on Minmus. Had a little problem with the launch/transfer/delivery system for the mining/refining factory. And it seems that landing directly on a fuel tank with no legs/wheels/nozzles/chutes is pretty much like taking a hammer to spun glass--I landed it, on Minmus, at under 1 m/s, and the whole dang factory shattered into its component pieces...followed by the inevitable explosions from...from...I have no idea from what--how can ANYTHING explode after falling anywhere from 1 to maybe 5 meters in Minmus's g-field?

But anyway, I fixed the skyhook for dropping the factory onto the surface, and gave it landing legs (and moved its side-mount docking port to account for the legs, so the fuel truck could still dock with it), and it landed just fine.

So. All components in place: 1) permanent ground-based mining/refining ISRU fuel factory; 2) tanker rocket to haul fuel from surface to Minmus orbit; 3) fuel truck to transfer fuel from factory to tanker rocket. Test-docked truck to rocket, worked great, yay! Turned on drills and converter, hit timewarp, filled the factory's tanks, drove the truck over to it, and... found out that factory's landing legs had settled just slightly UNDER Minmus's surface, a bit lower than the empty factory had settled on the launch pad during my test runs at KSC. And so the docking ports did not line up. Aaargh. (That is why I didn't want the dang landing legs in the first place! I figured the big broad Kerbodyne fuel tank would sit exactly the same way on the launch pad, on Minmus, full, empty, whatever.)

So. Tomorrow is Plan B: I'm going to redesign the fuel truck so its docking port sits at the end of a chain of cubic octagonal struts. My hope is that this will give it enough flexibility that it will be able to compensate for minor differences in factory/rocket "settled height" after landing.

(Yes, yes, I know--*mods*. I am determined to do this stock, and without the Krakenbait....err, I mean without the Klaw. And yes, I know, I'm Doing It Wrong: I need to be using KAS; I need to do it all in one combination miner/tanker-transport rocket; I should mine on the ground but move the ore and do the refining in orbit; I should "just" learn to drop directly from orbit to land directly on a docking port at the top of the factory; I should...etc, etc, etc. All arguments that I have already heard. I freely stipulate that I Am Doing It All Wrong. Nonetheless--I'm going to do it this way anyway.)

I'm rather pleased with the aesthetics of the fuel truck, actually. Once I've cobbled together a "hose" out of cubocts tomorrow, I may post a photo. Though I'm afraid the "hose" modification is going to make the poor thing look like a mutant cross between a tank farm, a centipede, and an elephant....

I recently reinstalled the game and started a new career after a break.

After unlocking probes I started to send a few out to the Mun and Minmus in practice runs for manned missions. I had intended on doing a jaunt around Minmus. Without ways of generating electricity I had disabled several batteries so I could wake up the probes at intervals and save power when nothing was happening. I began my thrust out to intercept Minmus. All was on plan until I had to stage to discard what remained of the final orbital stage at full throttle. But when it came to power down the rockets on my probe nothing happened. It was stuck on full throttle. I hadn't turned any batteries on!!!

Oh well. I accepted that I'd have a Kerbol orbit in around 5 days and I let it be, knowing that I'd gain science from that earlier than I had expected.

Last night I had maybe 45 minutes to play. I spent a good chunk of it designing a craft to haul ore from Mun to Kerbin, a craft I dubbed the Naquadah 7 for wont of a better name. The craft should have sufficient delta-V to make it between Kerbin and the moons and return even with a full load of ore, and I've set it up with radial engines and and aft docking port so that its presence won't block a docking pier entirely. Only about 30 tonnes at launch. Tonight I'll design a booster for it and get the prototype headed towards Mun, time permitting.

I also designed the Lawsuit 7 SSTO rocket, designed to haul four Kerbals to orbit and down again. Tourists Paly, Phodra and Lingie were loaded aboard and sent for a quick up and down flight, fulfilling two relatively low-paying tourist contracts. I think I made all of about √10k for the effort, but the replacement contracts were "Plant a Flag on Mun" and "Gather Science from the Mun surface"; since I plan to send Bob to Mun to farm science again, this was a rather serendipitous happenstance...

The last thing I did last night was retrofit the Albatross 7 refueling plane with RAPIER engines and took it up for a test flight. The plane has excessive pitch stability - she lawn darted at 14k and ultimately exploded from excessive dynamic pressure. At the same time, her roll stability sucks - she constantly wants to roll to the right and I found myself fighting to keep the plane upright the entire time. I think a full review of the design is in order; I'm convinced it would just take a little bit of tweaking to get to the point where she'd make it to orbit and back without issue. I really need that plane working...

Got my first on-site test of my multi-part ISRU operation on Minmus. Had a little problem with the launch/transfer/delivery system for the mining/refining factory. And it seems that landing directly on a fuel tank with no legs/wheels/nozzles/chutes is pretty much like taking a hammer to spun glass--I landed it, on Minmus, at under 1 m/s, and the whole dang factory shattered into its component pieces...followed by the inevitable explosions from...from...I have no idea from what--how can ANYTHING explode after falling anywhere from 1 to maybe 5 meters in Minmus's g-field?

But anyway, I fixed the skyhook for dropping the factory onto the surface, and gave it landing legs (and moved its side-mount docking port to account for the legs, so the fuel truck could still dock with it), and it landed just fine.

So. All components in place: 1) permanent ground-based mining/refining ISRU fuel factory; 2) tanker rocket to haul fuel from surface to Minmus orbit; 3) fuel truck to transfer fuel from factory to tanker rocket. Test-docked truck to rocket, worked great, yay! Turned on drills and converter, hit timewarp, filled the factory's tanks, drove the truck over to it, and... found out that factory's landing legs had settled just slightly UNDER Minmus's surface, a bit lower than the empty factory had settled on the launch pad during my test runs at KSC. And so the docking ports did not line up. Aaargh. (That is why I didn't want the dang landing legs in the first place! I figured the big broad Kerbodyne fuel tank would sit exactly the same way on the launch pad, on Minmus, full, empty, whatever.)

So. Tomorrow is Plan B: I'm going to redesign the fuel truck so its docking port sits at the end of a chain of cubic octagonal struts. My hope is that this will give it enough flexibility that it will be able to compensate for minor differences in factory/rocket "settled height" after landing.

(Yes, yes, I know--*mods*. I am determined to do this stock, and without the Krakenbait....err, I mean without the Klaw. And yes, I know, I'm Doing It Wrong: I need to be using KAS; I need to do it all in one combination miner/tanker-transport rocket; I should mine on the ground but move the ore and do the refining in orbit; I should "just" learn to drop directly from orbit to land directly on a docking port at the top of the factory; I should...etc, etc, etc. All arguments that I have already heard. I freely stipulate that I Am Doing It All Wrong. Nonetheless--I'm going to do it this way anyway.)

I'm rather pleased with the aesthetics of the fuel truck, actually. Once I've cobbled together a "hose" out of cubocts tomorrow, I may post a photo. Though I'm afraid the "hose" modification is going to make the poor thing look like a mutant cross between a tank farm, a centipede, and an elephant....

The mk3 to 3.75m adapter has a 50 m/s impact resistance, which makes it great for landing

Perfected(ish) my VTOL. also, put two more tourist into space and brought them back on my new sub-orbital 2 pasenger rocket consisting of a parachute, a command pod, 2 mk1 lander cans with parachutes on the upper one and airbrakes on the lower one, a decouple, a kickback, and 4 tailfins. they ended up rolling down the side of a mountain as I watched. I lost some science in the command pod when it exploded ;.;. Also, I designed a 3 stage ship called the OKTO Orbit that should in theory take my first thing into orbit in my career save and possibly have enough DV to do a Munar flyby of some sort. It should also be able to re-enter and have the upper stage be recovered so I can get more science from it. May even modify it later to allow Kerbals to get into orbit on it.

Edited by Generalstarwars333

My Kronos_B is now finished. The last tests have run.

screenshot2616.png

I have achieved the improvements I wanted, from Kronos_A. Laythe launch performance will be better, and fuel budget for the homeward journey will be better.

But the technical detail changes didn't become quite those I had envisioned. A consequence is that Kronos_B is actually lighter than Kronos_A. I had thought it would become heavier.

There were too many problems with adding thrust to the Laythe launch vehicle. Replacing Mainsail engines with Rhino did work well, to increase launch-to-orbit performance, as did adding radial engines. But there were too complex problems arising from the jump in diameter. These affected air braking (most serious),

screenshot2609.png

...landing clearance and ladders. More and more it looked like I was looking at a considerable re-design, with all of the testing and confidence problems that comes with it. Given the huge investment of time in perfecting the already proven Kronos, it seemed illogical.

The solution was instead to reduce weight of the return configuration, by making another four nuclear engines ejectable. This, together with detail refinements, now leave me with a rocket I feel very comfortable with. It flies and works beautifully.

Valentina, Madly and Kimene are very excited and impatient, to get underway.

It will gain them nothing for now, however. It currently makes no sense to make another long and dangerous Laythe journey. I will wait until after the v1.05 deployment.

My focus is elsewhere. Docking. New, modular rocket designs. Mk3 cockpit. It starts with the Lensman moon-rocket (Mun and Minmus).

screenshot2625.png

The first is a bit too complex for a flag. The second isn't really Kerbal.

I prefer those two old ones:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1773/kerbalrogerinvert.png http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7646/kerbalroger.png

Cool! can I use those?

JR

Edit: I already got likes and rep for my flag so I'll be using it for my profile but I want to change it up for some of my videos. Also the Jolly Roger in your pics is not a space pirate - no helmet.

Edited by Jolly_Roger

Lots of complicated logistics in career mode in preparation for a second round of manned expeditions.

4VWk5qz.jpg?1

Several mapping orbiters departed Kerbin for Dres, Eeloo, and Jool.

KVk1qPI.jpg?1

Super Aqualung Red took off from Minmus with a full tank for LKO.

pJnsB5I.jpg?1

A hab module destined for Coalwood Base on Minmus (a pilot program for similar bases planned on other airless bodies, currently just a mining rig) went up on an RLV-220 reusable rocket.

wO3xZP5.jpg?1

Red, Starlet Elizabeth, Spacebus Valerie, and an expendable transfer stage completed a complicated refueling operation in LKO before the transfer stage sent Valerie and Elizabeth on their way to Laythe with a crew of five to rendezvous with the Dauntless. Red offloaded the rest of its fuel at the LKO depot and departed for Minmus with the hab module.

My kerbals started the ugly buzz jet development program, reached 1600 m/s, went further and made a short bird and a long bird (blackbird style).

Then Jeb came into a technical meeting with a hot dog bun with two nacho chips poking out the side, mounted on a orange soda can with two licorice sticks down the side of that. The engineers thought about it.......Yah! a working Mk3 shuttle classic on lox tank with boosters. some pics soon... 8)

The history of flight...

Montage2.jpg

Edited by algwat
add image