What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I finished LKO construction of my first ever Dres mission.

9vzp45v.jpg

This will be an unmanned mission.

Construction was a four step process:

1. Launch the core, including the two lander probes.

2. Launch and dock the Nuclear Tug 1

3. Launch and dock the Nuclear Tug 2

4. Refuel mission to fill all tanks.

The core includes an orbital science package and will remain in Dres orbit.

The two lander probes each have approximately 660m/s of DV and have been successfully test landed on the Mun. I'm *hoping* I'll get a biome hop out of each probe as the Dres landing DV requirement is slightly lower than the Mun. This would be a bonus though.

The two tugs will also remain in Dres orbit until I have unlocked IRSU technology. At that point I'll send a new mission with new science landers/satellites and a ISRU/refinery/refueller and use that as a stepping stone to Jool. I expect that I'll do that next phase as a manned mission (and return the Kerbals to Kerbin at the same time as I depart the main ship to Jool.)

Waiting for a nice transfer window now.

Thanks to those who helped with the planning of this mission in my earlier thread.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is also my first ever "constructed in LKO" ship. I've done docking before, but never assembled a ship like this.

Edited by Ceq Lysander
Added some extra details.

Sido, I keep seeing in your Urania posts and in your signature a parts pack with these black russian-like parts, can you tell me what mod it is?

Have you tried clicking his signature yet? It's a link to the mod you're looking for.

Never mind what I said. It's another mod . OOPS.

Landed on the Mun. Battery overkill I know.

dN81Ygr.jpg

Made rocket to do a Minmus flyby AND Mun landing but in the end didn't have enough fuel for the Mun so just went home.

xESNile.jpg

SZtYLOa.jpg

Took off again to do another Mun landing. This time with proper lighting.

4KczoYW.jpg

elg6Gym.jpg

Collected science from the last part of KSC where I didn't do that.

3y7S9Sk.jpg

Time to conquer Minmus, make my comms satellite network and start sending out probes to other planets while roving around the Mun and Minmus more. My humble beginnings are almost over, soon the golden age will arive :)

So I'm trying to reach duna & beyond so I finally can start unlocking the stronger engines (here I come mainsail, just you wait!). Trying to optimize a ship to the very most detail.

EOdiNob.jpg

The top 3 terriers carry a small module containing all unlocked science, antenna & solar cells together with a small probe. You notice they don't have aerodynamic caps: well I tested with an without. And without I reached the same orbit but had more delta-V left over. For the "main lifting" trio is jettisoned earlier, so no/less dead weight. Same for the very first stage (speed is too low so adding an extra booster provided moneywise to be more efficient).

Launch profile seems to be like this:

-vertical first stage (up to 6ish km)

-second stage try to make a turn (realistic only reaches 10 degrees max) - up to 15km altitude

-Third stage burn at 45 degrees & apply wanted inclination. (This stage has gimbal and high TWR). Getting suborbital

-Fourth stage: make the orbit circular, at realistically 100 km altitude. Remaining delta-v can be used to start main project (typical left over delta-V around 500).

-Fifth stage: transfer burns and objective burns (huge delta-V & TWR to allow for easy manoevring while landing).

Now I haven't tried this before: but what targets do you think this beast can reach? If I slap a pod on it and add ladders, do you think I can return from a duna landing?

So I'm trying to reach duna & beyond so I finally can start unlocking the stronger engines (here I come mainsail, just you wait!). Trying to optimize a ship to the very most detail.

http://i.imgur.com/EOdiNob.jpg

The top 3 terriers carry a small module containing all unlocked science, antenna & solar cells together with a small probe. You notice they don't have aerodynamic caps: well I tested with an without. And without I reached the same orbit but had more delta-V left over. For the "main lifting" trio is jettisoned earlier, so no/less dead weight. Same for the very first stage (speed is too low so adding an extra booster provided moneywise to be more efficient).

Launch profile seems to be like this:

-vertical first stage (up to 6ish km)

-second stage try to make a turn (realistic only reaches 10 degrees max) - up to 15km altitude

-Third stage burn at 45 degrees & apply wanted inclination. (This stage has gimbal and high TWR). Getting suborbital

-Fourth stage: make the orbit circular, at realistically 100 km altitude. Remaining delta-v can be used to start main project (typical left over delta-V around 500).

-Fifth stage: transfer burns and objective burns (huge delta-V & TWR to allow for easy manoevring while landing).

Now I haven't tried this before: but what targets do you think this beast can reach? If I slap a pod on it and add ladders, do you think I can return from a duna landing?

Well technically with that kind of dV that craft could go almost anywhere and back if piloted perfectly. The problem I see with it is that its a really inefficient design. You could design a Duna flyby mission with at least half that weight with stock parts. 75% of the weight if you want to land. And thats before I get into the fact that its not exactly aerodynamic, what with the top of your rocket being almost flat.

Another thing to consider is that if you want to progress farther in the tech tree, you don't necessarily need to go to Duna to do it. A polar orbit of Mun or Minmus can easily net you over 5-800 science if you manage to nab EVA reports from every biome.