What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

i built a ship with landing legs that are too short to reach the ground. took me a few goes trying to land it on the Mun before i realised what is wrong.

Hopefully when i land it back on Kerbin no one dies and i don't lose any science. i was hoping to recover the engine (really expensive Kerbal Interstellar nuke engine), but at this point i would rather lose money than the reputation and experienced Kerbals.

I have never encountered any of those Krakens :). The worst I have seen in my own KSP saves was a bug in a 0.90 career save, before a certain 0.90 career save I progressed greatly in, where my ships would receive a constant supply of thrust when timewarping (which caused me to delete that save).

During the past few days, in my sandbox save I sent the Dres-teroid Miner S.S. to Dres. You can guess what it's function is, or you can feast your eyes on two Imgur albums' worth of pictures! :cool:And mission information, if you decide to look at the albums on Imgur rather than staring at the results of embedding them into the post!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I would appreciate it if a kind person would update the information on the KSP forums about dres-teroids. It took over 30 minutes' worth of searching via the internet for me to discover the altitude at which the dres-teroids orbit, so I could burn into an orbit near where the dres-teroids were. What I found is they appear to appear around 17,000,000-21,000,000 meters above Dres's surface, but I could easily be off by about 500,000 meters with that range.

I also completed the first set of mid-course correction burns for my vessels en-route to Urlum.

QOFtlsn.jpg

urxAJhA.jpg

Both of the ships in these two pictures have their own payload. The smaller one, the URLUM Recon Mothership, contains two ion-driven ScannerBot Mk.1 probes, which resemble humanoid robots, as a result of design specifications, and they each have a scanner, two Dawn ion drives, a docking port, and enough RTGs to power both ionic engines (I hope it doesn't fail miserably in 1.05). The bottom ship, the URLUM Lander Mothership, contains a lander that uses the Mk2 Lander Can. The URLUM Lander Mothership also has ISRU capabilities, so it can land on Priax or Tal once it gets to Urlum to refuel while the lander is busy landing on a bigger target. URLUM is the mission name for these two ships, and it stands for Urlum Reconnaissance and Landing Undertakings provided by Motherships :cool::wink:.

What visual mods exactly are you using :huh:? What could it be that is giving you the perfect combination between small, puffy clouds and city streets? A new Astronomer's Visual Pack? Edited by LaytheDragon

Well, I built a huge Mun/Minmus lander to extract ore that is designed to go back to orbit with it's payload.

Those damn size 3 decouplers... They explode of separation, or don't work right otherwise. I reloaded the game on my Tower for all stock applications and the only non-stock thing was three custom flags I added. I had the bug fix on my decouplers before. Anyway, lost an engine first attempt to separate the stage. Thought I fixed the file, recompiled, then I lost two engines. And two again on my third attempt, then gave up.

Godz I love this thread.

Agreed- you learn so much that you wouldn't have known you needed to know.

- - - Updated - - -

That is so beautiful. I dream of a day after Unity5 when I have a new PC and can have deliciousness like that...

Well... it turns out all those wackjobs trying to scale the KSC perimeter fence with their 'placards' and their 'clean energy' had a point. Ah well! We can colonise another planet and they can't! That's success by my books :cool: Seriously though, I have bugs, glitches and errors that usually involve stuff like that. Sometimes my kerbinauts disappear from inside their EVA suits, sometimes my HUD disappears and I have to fly by eye... oh, and one time my ship became stationary at 27,000m and promptly got run over by Kerbin.

On topic, today I'm delivering my Munar Science Laboratory to... well, the Mun. Lots of scaffolding, lots of instruments, lots of boosters!

I have had the first two problems, but the last one… does it count if it happened in the demo?

Edited by Jolbucley
Misformatted the quote.

Today I installed additional RAM in my computer. I broke my overclock while getting the BIOS to recognize the new sticks. Once everything was running (mostly) as it should, I ran some limited stress tests.

Then I ran KSP to throw some part-heavy crafts at my system to get an idea of my favorite game's performance. I decided to ramp up the tests starting with some stock ships I've never flown before. I got to the Learstar and managed to fight it to orbit. Then I decided to see how well it handled gliding unpowered in the atmosphere. I time warped until atmosphere and then physical time warped.

Physical time warp did not agree with the Learstar (specifically the Mk2 Inline Clamp-O-Tron), which exploded and sent the cockpit on ahead. Having not played too much with body lift in the 1.0.4 atmosphere, and seeing as how I had taken Jeb's and Bill's lives in my hands when I set them on the suborbital trajectory, I figured I'd see if I could get them home safely in a ship that now consisted primarily of a Mk2 Cockpit, Mk2 Crew Cabin, and two AV-R8 Winglets. I have to say that I surprised myself by managing to touch down in the water at below 25m/s and lost everything but the cockpit.

So today I saved Jeb and Bill from having a very unpleasant day that I admittedly caused by being impatient.

I’m trying to design a single-stage-to-Duna round-trip vessel, sans ISRU. Even with a payload of just a flattened OKTO probe core and a thermometer, that means an insane amount of fuel and a truly terrifying amount of struts. Sadly, I crashed the game before I got a chance to crash er, test the design. If I ever get this thing to work, I’ll let you guys know with a victory screen cap or something (probably of the entire setup hurtling out-of-control back into Kerbin’s atmosphere in a deeply misguided attempt at aerobraking).

Captured a 1042 tonne class E rock... Not sure what to do with it....

http://i.imgur.com/AMwa7xh.png

Alacrity

I captured a class C. Never playing with an asteroid before, I started harvesting and converting. I was converting to fuel faster than I could burn it with five Rhino engines. I decided to bring it to Eve's orbit. Not realizing how fast the resource drops to zero, it was a failed idea.

Y1wKnjp.png

I haven't played much lately, but here is what I did in the last few days:

I brought the Gilly and Eve missions home (short the poor Matrix Kerman, who burned up on Eve atmospheric entry), as well as the first Duna mission, which was a huge success. The first module of the new Duna orbital station arrived, and the remote control unit for the lander got docked to it, which then steered the lander to a docking port of the still uncrewed station. Screenshots will follow, once the station is complete. It still misses a fuel depot for the lander, and of course the crew...

Ah, and what I'm particularly proud of: I managed to finish a seismic survey mission on Ike with barely any fuel left. Next time I'll send a rover though, as it was really tight - at least from the fuel amount left. Looking at the remaining dV it doesn't look that bad.

2S1h4f5.jpg

I’m trying to design a single-stage-to-Duna round-trip vessel, sans ISRU. Even with a payload of just a flattened OKTO probe core and a thermometer, that means an insane amount of fuel and a truly terrifying amount of struts. Sadly, I crashed the game before I got a chance to crash er, test the design. If I ever get this thing to work, I’ll let you guys know with a victory screen cap or something (probably of the entire setup hurtling out-of-control back into Kerbin’s atmosphere in a deeply misguided attempt at aerobraking).

do you plan to land or just make orbit? Also, do you plan to refuel in orbit around Kerbin or are you going for Kerbin surface- Duna - kerbin surface on one tank?

Sent up a "station" to Kerbol orbit per contract, then decided that I have absolutely no need for it and tried to return it to Kerbin (had some spare fuel)

After some aerobraking orbits finally began to fall over the South Pole

prhd5dX.png?1

Luckily the booster stage had some parachutes (seems I overestimated the fuel needs by a lot...luckily)...

fVezFA9.png?1

...and managed to land the thing. Most of it anyway :P

NWY5yxK.png?1

Meanwhile the Original Three are on their way to Duna - Valentina is back home training rookies

Didn't do anything last night in the game proper, though I did start planning for an asteroid capture mission - I have a contract to put a Class C in orbit of Minmus, paying close to √1M. I did notice a Class C before close of business on Sunday...already in Kerbin's SOI and headed for a collision.

You know that's the one I want. Trick will be to rendezvous far enough out to get it into a stable orbit around Kerbin...if I can do that at least, I can refuel and try to get it the rest of the way to the payout. First thing's first, of course: I have to catch the thing.

Eeloo Return

I brought my Eeloo team of 3 home, though they took the long way about it.

I tried a direct reentry from Eeloo into Kerbin-- exploded at 50km from overheating.

So I reloaded and made that a gravity brake around Kerbin, new apoapsis between Dres and Jool. Next reentry-- exploded at 47km from overheating.

So I made that a gravity brake too, new apoapsis between Duna and Dres. Next reentry-- exploded around 40km from overheating.

So I took a detour to Eve, which was a much better gravity brake than Kerbin. My next reentry heated to 98% before cooling off and landing calmly in a pretty field. Three-ish years to get to Eeloo and 25 years to get home.

Overheating

In the previous mission (an Ike lander), I ran in to a strange heat bug. When I landed on Ike, one of my parts --I suspect the Science Jr.-- began producing heat fast. From steady-state 20% to explosions in two seconds. Confident that the mission involved no real thermal challenges, I considered it fair to disable max-temperature checks in debug and I went on with the mission.

But the part kept pumping out heat. The heat was conducted to neighboring parts, which conducted heat back in a feedback loop. After one minute, the whole ship was glowing. By the time I got back in orbit around Ike, floating-point precision on the Kerbal Engineer temperature gauges was breaking down-- billions of billions of billions of degrees.

I ended up editing the heat down to zero out of fear that the game would crash. The bug hasn't reappeared since.

I did an analysis of resourced on Minmus for my planned colony and discovered that 0.95 substrate was actually above average for Minmus in this game so, with everything else present in either the Greater Flats or the Slopes(Minerals and a bit more substrate than GF), I started bringing down the pieces of my first of-world colony:

So now I have everything landed on Minmus except: Pioneer/PDU(LKO awaiting Minmus pusher to get it to Minmus), and Fabrication Module(not yet researched)/Stock ISRU.

Once my pusher gets there I will string them all together with flexotubes and see how well it all works.

Note: Minmus Pusher is currently orbiting Mun and ready for descent to LKO to drop off the first rescuee and his pod, next stop Minmus with Minmus Colony B in tow.

Well, I did something for KSP, but not in it. in english today, on the back of my SS notebook, I drew plans for a station for a contract: a pair of twin boars with rockomax 64s, a pair of poodles with some more fuel, and between them an mpl-g2 and on either side some hitch-hikers and maybe a cupola or two on top. plus solar panels, batteries, and all kind of scientific goodies for getting science from a solar orbit. first time with a space station, all one piece since I've never docked, first time taking an mpl to orbit, lots of firsts! Also, first manned solar orbit, 2nd one total. the first was with a probe in science mode that disappeared for some reason...

Well, I mostly designed and built my new 'Magma_B' Superlifter. But I also used half an ear and listened to Valentina nagging about the next Laythe mission.

She has a point. We might as well try to do it before v1.05. As long as the old version lasts, we'll know what to expect. (I have the Steam edition and v1.05 will just roll over).

I suppose I somehow twisted the v1.05 as an argument for delaying, and it's maybe not so rational.

But I care about my kerbals. Caring is a means to derive more entertainment from the game. Taking it more serious.

So while the gals should be fine if I'm careful and cautious - Jeb, Bill and Bob made it back and Kronos_B is a better rocket than Kronos_A - I'm still not so enthusiastic.

It's a long, difficult journey, and it seems there will be plenty fun things to do closer to home soon. There's also not much point in doing Laythe again now, other than that Valentina wants to stand on Laythe. It would be the same as JBB already did. Sure we'll go back to Laythe some day, but why now? Also, I suspect that Madly's and Kimene's enthusiasm are more faked than Valentina's.

screenshot2732.png

Anyway, this is my new Magma_B Superlifter. Quite an exercise in fuel plumbing and stage wiring. The first step in a more modular approach to space. It will be used to lift up big, heavy things into orbit.

One of those things will be the 'Nomad' Interplanetary Tug, next thing to be designed and built. Other things will be some Space stations.

I think I bossed up and postponed the second Laythe mission. There will be some fun new rockets for valentina instead. And Gilly,.. perhaps.

Edited by Vermil

Today I tested a suborbital space plane that only needs 300 meters a second more delta v to reach orbit. I took screenshots, but Imgur was not cooperating when I tried to upload them, so their not here.;.;

EDIT: Imgur is being more cooperative, but I've never posted an album before, so it might not show up.

Edited by astrokerb