What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Take the kerbalX up into space, shut off the engines, do a maneuver node and pull out the blue icon with the x of sticks coming out of it until the blue line makes a circle and the lowest part of said line says a number over 70, and there you go.

I figured it out on the next two launches, got a successful orbit of Kerbin and even got my astronaut back to earth in one piece...after having a near planet orbit that cut through the upper atmosphere and back out again. Took 5 orbits but the atmosphere finally braked it enough that it came back down. I understand the principals but sometimes the execution of said principals leaves something to be desired. But it's fun!

In my career mode game, I had two things to do at once, and decided: "let's kill two Kerbals with one----"

....errrr.....birds. Two BIRDS with one stone. Though frequently the killing of Kerbals does happen......

Anyway, tried to do two things in one mission, and most of you in here probably know that usually does not go well. Had a contract to put a satellite in orbit around the Mun, and also had a newly-hired scientist to send to my Munar research space station. So I build a rocket for the scientist, and attach the satellite on top.

Everything goes fine until I reach the assigned orbit for the satellite and detach it from the ship. Then I realize that I just detached the ship's SAS module--because the probe core for the satellite was the only SAS system on the damn thing.

Here's another thing just about everykerb in here already knows: flying an intercept course without SAS available is really difficult.

Here's a picture of my most recent Shuttle mission to the ISS. Some other things that I've done include another probe to Duna, another Progress craft, another H-TV craft as well as the first probe in my SolSat series, which is a series of probes where I'll progressively get closer and closer to the sun. Lots of other things planned like more unmanned missions beyond Low Kerbin Orbit.

Beyj2Qb.png

Why are you aero braking with your engines running speeding you up?

Perhaps to elongate his path, as to avoid falling too steep to safely slow.

Or he's prolonging the animation because he finds burning up and gambling dying fun. I know I do.

Today, I made and flew a cost-effective probe, chock with early science modules, on a flyby of the mun. I'm pretty happy that I was able to do it without SAS whilst coming within 55k, and coping with how the mid-stage tended to flip over twice in atmosphere immediately after detaching its boosters.

Then again, that kind of pales in comparison with all the massive duna landing operations that are in this thread...

Edited by Exxmorphing
Cause I didn't assemble it mid-flight

Kerbal Foundries, KSPI Extended, Kerbal Planetary Base Systems, and the new USI Karibou rover parts are each excellent on their own.

When (ab)used together, however, things can get weird; in very related news, I accidentally made my most impact-resistant (and waterproof) rover yet.

Pictures to follow^W^W have arrived!

Edited by Fail-Man 3D
Did I say lander? I meant rover.

As a continuation of a contraption that I made for this thread, I created a large vehicle that is powered by the rotation of narrow-band scanners. This new version is strong enough to hold back a jet at full thrust, and it seems to handle rough terrain well. it is still very slow however, and the part count isn't great (217).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I spent the weekend largely working on Bob's latest science farming mission to Mun and beginning mining operations on both of Kerbin's moons. Friday I installed the Action Group Manager mod to try and fix a few outstanding issues with Bob's Fireball 7c craft (namely to add a group that would allow me to fire off the gravioli detector without having to actually push the button on the part everytime - some of those Mun biomes are pretty small from 60k up). I landed Theogel and Verise in their Wildcat 7 craft on Mun and began drilling operations in earnest there, though for some reason their mission wouldn't continue when I went away to do things with Bob (you know, the drills are supposed to continue going in the background - theirs didn't work for some reason). Ultimately I had to stay with the craft while it filled up - I was ultimately able to fill up and refuel the Wildcat successfully, though that was the last thing I did on Sunday...

Meanwhile, I was able to fill up the Wildcat 7 craft assigned to Minmus fully with fuel and ore, so it was sent up for a successful rendezvous with the Minmusport space station. On arrival, the craft was able to deliver sufficient fuel to Enola Gay - Cerxie's craft with a group of tourists that had been parked at the station for the past few days - so that the ship was able to finally head for home. The Minmus Wildcat is still awaiting the arrival of the station's Refinery module; when it arrives, she'll have a full load of ore ready and waiting. I'm really happy with the Minmus mining operation, but it's pretty clear that where it's really need right now is at Mun - and that's one's not doing so well. I'm thinking I'll need to send more drills sooner rather than later. At least I have the money for it.

Bob's science mission was going fairly well - he had collected high space gravioli readings from all fifteen of Mun's biomes and successfully collected all surface and low-space experiment readings from the Polar Crater, Poles and Polar Lowlands. However, he decided to try for a fourth landing at the Northern Basin. The landing went well and he did get the low-space and surface readings for the biomes, but he only has 400 m/s of delta-V left in his craft, not enough to return to orbit - and I sure as hell ain't transmitting all that science back to Kerbin (I wouldn't even if Bob had an antenna, which he doesn't). The Fireball does not have refueling capabilities - at least not yet. There's a Project Peacock craft docked at Munport so somebody somewhere in the the Mun's SOI has KAS tools (I think Theogel's got them), and Bob's in a relatively flat area so a surface refuel/rescue mission is in the realm of possibilities. I'm still working out the details of that one. Might depend on which lander craft I can get refueled and how quickly I can make it all happen.

I also successfully put Munport 2 into a lower Munar orbit before the weekend was out, and Bob took care of a Munar flag-planting mission for me, which put my funding over the √1M mark. Enola Gay arrives at Kerbin in three more days, and Minmusport's refinery module will arrive in the moon's SOI in another twenty minutes.

I finally finished my "Ozymandias" tour of the Outer Planets Mod bodies. Have to make a coherent string of videos out of the raw footage, but the current episode features a harebrain dive through a gas giant's atmosphere. While firing the engines to keep speed up. It's the Kerbal way ;)

AhRfMCS.png

The entire album of the mission so far:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And here's a video of that part of the experience:

Edited by ShadowZone

I spent the weekend building one of those spaceships with a built-in research lab and mining equipment, along with limited VTOL capability and enough aerodynamics to allow it to glide from orbit back to the KSC runway. At least that is the theory, I am still running my shakedown trials to verify that everything will work as intended. I know I can get it from a horizontal launch into orbit using some "Orange Skipper" liquid-fuel boosters, still testing re-entry though.

I intend on posting pictures once I know this thing can complete the Kerbal-3 Challenge.

Today, I made and flew a cost-effective probe, chock with early science modules, on a flyby of the mun. I'm pretty happy that I was able to do it without SAS whilst coming within 55k, and coping with how the mid-stage tended to flip over twice in atmosphere immediately after detaching its boosters.

Then again, that kind of pales in comparison with all the massive duna landing operations that are in this thread...

This thread is not about 'greatest things ever done in KSP' it is about 'what you did today' be it a KSC science rover, biome hopping on the Mun, refueling a space station, or designing a series of airplanes that never even got past the end of the runway.

Also, we have all be at the point of early career fly-bys, and at least once it was our first time.(at least for those of us that have gotten that far)

Feel free to be inspired by neat things you see on this thread, but do not become discouraged because others have spent more time playing this game than you have, just consider it a pre-view of things you may be doing in the future if you continue to play this game.

Speaking of Biome hopping...

I spent a good bit of time over the weekend visiting the 12 Mun biomes I had not yet landed on using my new Long-shot 1 ship, intended to be the first ship to Duna.

When full, the LS will support 12 Kerbals for nearly 2 years, assuming the LS recycler is turned off. With the recycler/green house turned on, it should substantially extend that.

Of course half of those kerbals are tourists and will be returned to Kerbin before the trip to Duna, and two more are destined for the Munmus Base, giving the 4 kerbals on their way to Duna more than 6 years of LS supplies, 12 years if I use the recycler(assuming I top-off from Minmus base before my departure).

Before that, I landed the Minmus pusher on the Mun yet again to plant a flag for a contract on it's way back to Kerbin, then took them all home.

While the Long-Shot-1 was refueling on the Mun, I managed to land the Minmus-pusher between end of the KSC runway and the ocean, closest rocket reentry landing to the KSC yet.

After hopping all over the Mun, Long-shot 1 set out for Minmus to finish tourism contracts and deliver fresh personel and science data(got at least 1 extra copy of each experiment to drop them all off at the Academy(lab) on Minmus)

During the transit, I used the transmitted data from the Mun to unlock the last component for a self-sufficient Minmus base and launched it off towards Minmus. Then I sent along a 'Slopes harvesting pod' and a replacement for the vanished pioneer module so that the base should have everything it needs long-term(it already seems to be producing more supplies than it is using) so when those components are installed, it should be highly productive and able to re-supply any ships/stations in the Minmus SOI, along with the potential to build entirely new craft(assuming I can figure that part out)

The Long-shot-1 managed to land ~1.5km from Minmus base and is scheduled to start transferring personnel and data this evening, followed by the recovery of a kerbal+pod in high minmus orbit that, according to it's size and mass, should be large enough to hold all the tourists for return to Kerbin once it is towed to LKO and the Rescue-klaw is attached(already waiting in LKO)

Today, I built a LKO fuel Depot and attempted (unsuccessfully thus far) to get it into orbit. I'm trying different things, but I'm finally finding that my machine is stressing out... a first. I'm sending over 100k units of liquid fuel and an equal amount of oxidizer. 30k units of mono, 14k of battery, 8 giant solar panels, 4 small hitchhiker containers, lights... and then enough fuel and rockets to send it all up. It's insane. I'm still not quite there. It's my largest endeavour to date. Mechjeb is a blessing, but even it can't cope.

Hi all :)

Waiting the 1.0.5 update, i played a little with a new "light" stock ISRU SSTO:

The "Goose" ;)

37.2t., 44parts, 2200dV left in LKO.

Made a Mun travel, landing, mining refuel, and back to Kerbin, but could go almost everywhere with it !

Jeb was happy :)

r6KAw3e.jpg

Lr1E2dz.jpg

Fly safe with Valentina !

While waiting for the training vessel to come back from Minmus I decided to mine some science from around KSC, so I built this all-terrain vtol rover thingy.

It has every piece of scientific equipment short of the research lab on, so it gives 35-45 science in each biome - so the ~35 biomes around KSC gets me ~1200 science. Not yet sure how to land it in some spots like on top of SPH watchtower for example...

isfNoJs.png?1

Today was a school day off, so I decided to use the time to my advantage to...

Screw around with a ripoff of a Minekaze destroyer in better buoyancy...

pny2wN8.png

Have an AI fight, one ship got incapacitated...

ClchNIp.pngMade some KVVs for the Space Shuttle release Tomorrow?

bw87ecP.jpgFinally, made an meeting room as a prop for The Asteroid Sentinels, my ksp story.

PL9wUwh.pnggvxoPHj.pngxeYBOTQ.png

Hi all :)

Waiting the 1.0.5 update, i played a little with a new "light" stock ISRU SSTO:

The "Goose" ;)

37.2t., 44parts, 2200dV left in LKO.

Made a Mun travel, landing, mining refuel, and back to Kerbin, but could go almost everywhere with it !

Jeb was happy :)

http://i.imgur.com/r6KAw3e.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Lr1E2dz.jpg

Fly safe with Valentina !

Not trying to offend, but this remind me of the most ugly airplane ever - the beluga:

maxresdefault.jpg

Today was a school day off, so I decided to use the time to my advantage to...

Screw around with a ripoff of a Minekaze destroyer in better buoyancy...

http://i.imgur.com/pny2wN8.png

Have an AI fight, one ship got incapacitated...

http://i.imgur.com/ClchNIp.pngMade some KVVs for the Space Shuttle release Tomorrow?

http://i.imgur.com/bw87ecP.jpgFinally, made an meeting room as a prop for The Asteroid Sentinels, my ksp story.

http://i.imgur.com/PL9wUwh.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/gvxoPHj.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/xeYBOTQ.png

Not trying to offend, but this remind me of the most ugly airplane ever - the beluga:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/R18U0JPDvCY/maxresdefault.jpg

@saturnian blue: I have a school day off tommorow! woah!

@paul23: MY EYES! OH GODZ, WHY!? XD