What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Did mostly fly tourists for a few minute tour in orbit. Build something out of plane parts to carry the pilot and two pasengers, with just 30 parts until we can get the budget for expansions. :wink:

Flies just into a >70km orbit and back, requires some piloting to make the fuel last, as it only carries two liquid side boosters and a small oribital stage, but only costs 13k in funds!

"Accidentally" its COM is such that during reentry it flies engine first and angled up a bit, therey protecting its three parachutes from the heat.

And as usual: Forgot to bring photos! :P

I built a fun little lander from the Mk1 crew cabin. Can go from low mun orbit and back. Album on imgur if anyone wants to see more pics.

http://imgur.com/oYPPaTTl.jpg

Yes of course! Finally an early tech two kerbal lander can! :D

I honestly did not think of this although I have been flying it to orbit several times. :P

Got 1.05 installed and up and running with updated-for-1.05 mods; a tiny bit of surgery was required on the persistent.sfs file because there was one mod that, although updated, I elected not to install (but I had a couple of ships on missions with parts from that mod that had to be corrected).

Launched three Jool double-probes because a good transfer window is opening up for me; my first Eve probe got into orbit, though it ran out of delta V before I could get it into exactly the orbit I wanted. Its subsidiary probe made a flyby of Gilly. Another one arrives in a few Kerbin days, so I have a mulligan; but I did get some good science out of it already.

Last night's activities (still in 1.0.2) began with a delivery run - the Project Peacock craft docked at Kerbinport was used to shuttle Lubree, a tourist, to Sun Diver 7 to begin his historic and suicidal journey to put himself on a suborbital Kerbolar flight. Peacock borrowed some fuel from Enola Gay, also docked at Kerbinport. The flight was relatively short; Sun Diver was passing within five kilometers of the station anyway (don't know how I pulled that one off and I don't think I could do it again), so the rendezvous took a single orbit. Docking was successful, Lubree was delivered to his craft and Peacock returned successfully to Kerbinport, transferring its remaining fuel back to Enola Gay. The evening's activities ended with Lubree's initial warmup burn. And warm up it did - the sixty tonne craft is propelled by a single NERVA engine, which after three minutes of burning had to be shut down to avoid exploding. As of this morning, Sun Diver's apoapsis is a mighty 390,000 meters. I'm hoping that things will get to where the engine will be able to burn for longer periods as the craft's fuel drains - otherwise the thing will never get out of Kerbin's SOI, let alone get to a suborbital trajectory of Kerbol.

In the middle, I loaded Bob and tourists Jenedith, Jerbles and Phogy aboard Bockscar, also docked at Kerbinport and with a full tank of gas. With Jeb at the helm, the craft departed Kerbinport and was launched into a Kerbolar trajectory. The burn was successful, and the craft will exit Kerbin's SOI in about ten days. She's got about 60% of her fuel reserve remaining, so I should be able to get her back to Kerbin. Hopefully relatively quickly...

I also sent the recently refueled Carrier Pigeon craft docked at Munport 1 to Munport 2, docking specifically on the far end of the station's fuel module; rendezvous and docking were successful. The plan is to have Carrier Pigeon bring Munport 2's fuel module back to Munport 1 for refuel. I don't know yet if this plan will work or not - Pigeon was designed to haul a seven tonne craft between Kerbin's moons, not a twenty tonne craft between space stations. Should work, but there's an operative there...

Last thing before Lubree's run was (at long last) the arrival and successful docking of Minmusport's power module. The module's arrival brings Minmus up to a fully sustainable refueling depot, with ore refineries in orbit and on the surface capable of servicing any visiting craft. Naturally, I have no craft scheduled to head out that way any time soon. Though it does occur to me that I do have a contract to put a nine-Kerbal base on the surface...if I were to hook that up to the Wildcat rig it would house a hell of a lot of engineers...on the other hand, I have nobody scheduled to go out there any time soon. Still. A hell of a lot of engineers...

Weekend plans involve lots and lots of planes. I should take a glamour shot of my planes, just for the hell of it.

Made my very first aircraft in 1.0.5

Its a long duration exploration craft, plenty of power, plenty of wingspan and a ton of fuel for such a small craft.

As for flight characteristics it acts a little bit slugging and can't turn very fast. One thing is for sure; it is not a fighter craft of any kind.

Max altitude: 9400 meters.

Max Speed(swan dive): 350m/s

Take off speed: 40m/s

2015-11-13_00001_zpsxn0m4ffy.jpg

Edited by TimePeriod

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You're kidding! rofl

Dude wants to go, and I've already collected the rest of his money for the contract, so why not? I just hope the other three tourists on the same contract get back from Kerbolar orbit before he fries himself... :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Seriously, the plan is to get him back at some point - keep him there long enough to get the contract money, then pull his backside back to Kerbin (hopefully before the contract times out).

Somebody drag me away from the compiller. It started with recompilling kOS for 1.0.5 (minor version compatibiliy issue due to changes in game files), but now I'm stuck trying to fix the issue it has with handling Rapiers...

oh no. he has gone into full code mode!!! somebody save him!

Ok today i was testing some more submarines, trying to fit cruise missiles within them is hard but ultimately possible with enough space, i could conceivably make a nice interior too

Jeb got so tired of the constant yapping of those horrible tourists going to suborb ("Where are my peanuts?!") that he went for some recreational flying. Luckily he could be convinced to make some observations while he's at it.

FldmTE8.png?1

Anyone need an innocent looking boat for those overnight supply runs to Key West?

W3F2JQE.jpg

It looks kind of dinky and slow but with 2 concealed Juno water-jet units, she can reach nearly 60 knots in planing configuration and is perfect for those clandestine rendezvous you don't want the Coast Guard to know about.

Craft thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139338-WaveRunner-PC-1-Speedboat-For-your-Kerbal-s-first-marine-license-and-overnight-runs-to-Key-West?p=2293250#post2293250

d9t6FwO.jpg

This morning, I sent a probe flying past the Mun and another flying past Minmus and then the Mun (I was particularly happy that I was able to stick a powered flyby of Minmus that would let me do a polar flyby of the Mun), and learned my new improved medium booster is a bit overpowered.

This evening, I tried to debug a single-seat spaceplane I had designed, modeled on Dyna-Soar (but, I admit, with a heck of a lot more kick). In this, though, I was unsuccessful. Is it just me or is the Mk. 1 cockpit really vulnerable to overheating? It always seems to explode on reentry even when other parts with the same alleged maximum temperature don't even notice.

I noticed that whatever you have on the front tends to get the brunt of the heating(wetted surface and all), I saw this with 3 Mk1 pods and only the one on the nose exploded during reentries.

Tumbling tends to help distribute the heat better, also going engines-first puts most of the heat on a part designed to get very hot anyway.

been a while since my last post...

Before 1.0.5:

Determined that Long-Shot 1 would not be able to lift off from Duna with enough d-v to get to orbit, so I redirected it to Gilly after it's fuel stop on Minmus.

As my original refueling station on Kerbin was having traction problems on the hill-side and losing solar panels, I made a second(this time with action groups to deploy and activate the drills, and a UKS nuclear power plant to back-up the solar panels). Can send up ~4500 ore to kerbin orbit every 3 hours(or a slightly smaller amount of fuel) making it very useful.(even if it costs ~1M funds)

Built the Long-Shot 2 with enough engines to lift off of Duna with plenty of d-v and sent it off to the Mun for data and contracts, then launched a refueling station into lko with the intent of taking it to either Ike or Gilly as a fuel depot(unmanned but with a substantial stock of life support supplies in addition to the refueling capability. Powered by RCS and a up-scaled nuclear engine(should have > 5km/s with LF+ore full and o2 empty))

And then 1.0.5 came out.

Started New career, adding in mods as they get completed, planning to copy over my old save once my mods are updated.

The new tiny jet engines go really well with the Mk1 cockpit, slinging them under the wings so it looks like a small jet-liner.

The new 2 passenger crew compartment does great things for my tourist contracts as well, At one point I had 3 linked together for some highly profitable tourist contracts(I had crew cans but no large engines/fuel tanks to go with them so the Mk1 crew cabins dramatically cut my launch count)

Was a bit slower getting to orbit this game as my first few attempts burned up on re-entry, so I reverted and tried again after getting a bit more tech unlocked(and hauling up more fuel for braking)

Remembering the trepidation of missions without KER, got a ship to the Mun to collect science and complete the Explore contract, had Bob hanging on the outside of the landing pod door for almost then entire first orbit of the Mun to collect biome-specific eva reports, then managed a landing with no 'go retrograde' and managed to plant my first Munar flag. Finally I was able to return to orbit and then burn for a kerbin periapps of 50km(without a node as I did not know how much d-v I have left) Still have plenty of fuel, so hopefully I can get a nice safe landing(used transmitted Munar data to unlock drogue chutes, so bob will still need to rely on engines to get slow enough for chutes to open...)

Also managed to get my first rescue of the career in, the new scientist was greeted in his crew can by Bill(getting his first star) and a couple tourists

Now that I have drogue chutes unlocked, I am expecting much more efficient/profitable tourism contracts and more cost-effective non-tourism missions as I will not need to haul along the final stage braking fuel to let me slow down enough for normal chutes.

(the stock chute indicators are also much appreciated and have let me drop the chute safety mod)

Tonight I am planning to take a bevy of tourists to the Mun for yet more science! Then on to Minmus!

Edited by Terwin

I built a fun little lander from the Mk1 crew cabin. Can go from low mun orbit and back. Album on imgur if anyone wants to see more pics.

http://imgur.com/oYPPaTTl.jpg

That. Is. Sweet.

Gonna build one as soon as I get back to my game machine. And it reminds me that I've been wanting radial liquid/oxidizer tanks built along the lines of the Stratus monoprop tanks for, well, forever.

Edited by DancesWithSquirrels

1.0.5 is finally out, so I thought I'd celebrate by working on my 1.0.2 career. (I've just got too much invested in this save to update.. looking forward to playing 1.0.5 in sandbox though, once the mods are updated.)

s93AYgg.jpg?1

Cargo shuttle Altair delivered a power and control module to the Kerbin fuel depot, and a science module for Bass II Station in Minmus orbit.

uLi91LR.jpg?1

Lots of Aqualungs and Super Aqualungs still circulating between Kerbin and Minmus, with the Mun now added to the cycle as they can save about 100 m/s by returning to LKO via a Mun flyby instead of directly.

IEZIRRR.jpg?1

An unmanned mining rig went up on an RLV-320 rocket, destined for Dres.

3xiaKUd.jpg?1

Coalwood Base on Minmus (my first attempt at a modular surface base) now features two habs, a solar array tower, a science module, a mining rig, and a small rover. It's basically finished, although I'm giving some thought to sending up a fuel depot module as well, to shorten the surface stays of the tanker ships.

Made a launcher for my "Nix" crew shuttle in RSS, and it has BIG boosters! :D

Booster which provide 90% of thrust at liftoff without crushing the Kerbonauts when almost empty thanks to a wonderful SRB thrust decay config!

24yoYvP.png

Here is the shuttle it's launching (waiting for a small 1.0.5-redesign):

AMRKsbv.png

And here is what used to launch this shuttle:

Believe it or not, it never flipped and flew somewhat straight as long as you constantly adjusted thrust on the 2nd stage engines. 1st stage needed a bit of thrust limiting after launch, but flew surprisingly well otherwise.

Also, don't make asymmetric launchers, never. Or at least put an engine on your payload.

HnT2gJ0.png

Edited by Gaarst

1.0.5 is finally out, so I thought I'd celebrate by working on my 1.0.2 career. (I've just got too much invested in this save to update.. looking forward to playing 1.0.5 in sandbox though, once the mods are updated.)

http://i.imgur.com/s93AYgg.jpg?1

Cargo shuttle Altair delivered a power and control module to the Kerbin fuel depot, and a science module for Bass II Station in Minmus orbit.

http://i.imgur.com/uLi91LR.jpg?1

Lots of Aqualungs and Super Aqualungs still circulating between Kerbin and Minmus, with the Mun now added to the cycle as they can save about 100 m/s by returning to LKO via a Mun flyby instead of directly.

http://i.imgur.com/IEZIRRR.jpg?1

An unmanned mining rig went up on an RLV-320 rocket, destined for Dres.

http://i.imgur.com/3xiaKUd.jpg?1

Coalwood Base on Minmus (my first attempt at a modular surface base) now features two habs, a solar array tower, a science module, a mining rig, and a small rover. It's basically finished, although I'm giving some thought to sending up a fuel depot module as well, to shorten the surface stays of the tanker ships.

How did you land/setup your structures and link them? I don't see engines (they might have been dropshipped?) Just curious, makes a nice aesthetic!

Out of curiosiy, do you bother to man-rate your crewed rockets, Gaarst? I've found the process to be very fiddly, at the least, and my best attempt has them pulling 3.1 Gs at one point.

If you mean avoiding high G-force, then yes I do.

I generally try to avoid having the crew taking more than 3.5g during ascent as it is about the same for real rockets (this launcher in particular tops at 3.49g), even if it means having to redesign my rocket to a non-optimal but "safe" configuration (I also avoid throttling down cryogenic engines for realism, so that also forces me to pay attention to G-force in the VAB).

Most of my manned launchers have max G-force during ascent of 3-3.5g, whereas I usually don't bother doing this for unmanned launchers and they often end up pulling over 5-10g in high atmosphere for quicker circularisation.

The thing is, I am not good a non-ballistic reentries and often up having too high G-forces during reentries in RSS (over 8 is high for me); so this kind of makes avoiding high G during ascent pointless...

Still, I like this constraint, it makes my game feel more realistic.

Edited by Gaarst

How did you land/setup your structures and link them? I don't see engines (they might have been dropshipped?) Just curious, makes a nice aesthetic!

Looks like he is using FlexiTubes from RoverDude's UKS mod(USI Kolonozation systems).

Put one on each module(possibly using KAS) and then carry the 'link' from one to the other, and they will then be linked and count as part of the same vessel.

Hotaru, I am a BIG fan of your aqualung and super aqualung tankers!

Thanks! I've been having fun lately building very large landing craft, of which the Super Aqualung is the one that has gotten the most use in my career save. Maybe I'll take a break from ISRU grinding later and use KVV to make a graphic comparing some of them. I could post the craft file if you're interested, although it needs a couple of mods (SpaceY for the RCS and some custom config edits) and I'm not sure how it would handle the atmosphere in 1.0.5 (the airbrakes around the nose are mainly for tail-first aerobraking). Probably wouldn't be too hard to build a stock-ified version, though.

Terwin is right, I installed just the connectors from MKS Lite by RoverDude, shipped six of them up in a KAS container (which you can still see in the background, behind the mining rig), and used them to connect the modules. Functionally it's pretty much the same as connecting them with standard KAS pipes, except the MKS tubes look like they're actually big enough for Kerbals to transfer through. They really look better when used with other MKS parts, but I'm trying to keep my current save mostly stock.

The modules themselves were landed by a tug (which you can see in this post) that attached to their upper docking ports, and returned to orbit after each landing.

If you mean avoiding high G-force, then yes I do.

I generally try to avoid having the crew taking more than 3.5g during ascent as it is about the same for real rockets (this launcher in particular tops at 3.49g), even if it means having to redesign my rocket to a non-optimal but "safe" configuration (I also avoid throttling down cryogenic engines for realism, so that also forces me to pay attention to G-force in the VAB).

Most of my manned launchers have max G-force during ascent of 3-3.5g, whereas I usually don't bother doing this for unmanned launchers and they often end up pulling over 5-10g in high atmosphere for quicker circularisation.

The thing is, I am not good a non-ballistic reentries and often up having too high G-forces during reentries in RSS (over 8 is high for me); so this kind of makes avoiding high G during ascent pointless...

Still, I like this constraint, it makes my game feel more realistic.

That is indeed what I meant. I agree also about my ballistic reentries; the poor Kerbals I've put in my Mercury capsule have pulled over 9(!) Gs on reentry, though this is in part due to having to use a solid retromotor.

One further thing: the sources I've found for man-rated G requirements say 3gs is the target, not 3.5. Do you have some other source you can point to, or are you (quite understandably) just a little looser?