What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Working on a Grand Tour ISRU type mothership that can land everywhere except Eve.  My favorite part is a miniature science lander/hopper that fits horizontally in a single Mk3 cargo bay:

Uses vernors because I was trying to do the whole mission with zero monoprop but I think I'll change those to RCS blocks to reduce parts count.  This will handle science gathering and flag planting on all the low-gravity worlds.  Though when the mothership ran out of fuel on this Laythe ascent test, it made a handy lifeboat and got the pilot safely to orbit...

Current problem is my mothership's external drills burning up on Kerbin and Laythe atmospheric entry; trying to avoid another 1.5t of cargo bay.

Edited by fourfa

Continued work on my Kerbin infrastructure:

2nd and last greenhouse section arriving at the Kerbin Orbital Shipyard...

vgbVyHy.jpg

Facility structure complete...

THa0tVs.jpg

Design study for a future industry complex to be deployed on the Mun surface...

F9gPqVk.jpg

Resource scanner sent to the Mun in preparation of upcoming mining OPs...

zFaV1oE.jpg

UKS Training academy sent into LKO...

43KbGJ1.jpg

Bill and a bunch of newbies sent to the academy with a new generation of CTVs...

F5jlCdF.jpg

Conducting engineering excercises at the academy...

dL4woVT.jpg

After the training, the shipyard crew was moved over to the construction site...

eH5han0.jpg

Bill himself headed back to the surface for future assignments...

MiAL1f1.jpg

The shipyard produced an upgraded storage section for itself...

9avq7aF.jpg

It was docked up at the bottom node...

rKcjNw4.jpg

To provide the shipyard with metal resources, a new freighter and lifter was designed, able to propel 370 tons into space...

A9jxx88.jpg

Lift off...

vwfwWuW.jpg

Gravity turn...

OhuG9Rj.jpg

First seperation: releasing the auxilary launch boosters...

canDBVI.jpg

Central section seperated, top stage igniting...

ja63fya.jpg

Deploying the 370 tons freighter into LKO...

rlqbTm5.jpg

Arrival at the shipyard...

V17Twgp.jpg

Moving into position at the bottom...

Cfdmkbx.jpg

Docking her up...

y5yWlFB.jpg

Transfering raw metal to continue orbital production...

gho85bx.jpg

I had a bunch of survey contracts on Kerbin. They were located too far away for my bushplane to reach, so my spaceplane had to do it. Several dodgy landings later resulted in me deciding to do a long range VTOL. I'm so glad I did because it's a hoot to fly. 

The other thing I got up to was a fun little engineering mission: I forgot some sensors on my Mun vehicle, which was already in orbit of Kerbin, so I used KIS to add them later in a follow on flight.

Also been working on a LearJet design. It's been a truly kerbal build, in that I've absolutely no idea why I started making it in the first place, it just sort of happened and then took lots of tinkering to get it right.  Off all the aircraft I've built this one behaves the most like a real aircraft when coming into land; rather than having the front wheel come down almost the instant the rear wheels hit the tarmac, this will land on it's rear wheels and coast down the runway a fair ways before bringing the nose wheel down (which for some reason I find very satisfying!).

nlWfubT.jpg

Craft File here

Earlier today (approx. 01:30 my local time, I was too tired to write about it), I tested a huge mining rover in my career save.
Unfortunately, the extremely large chassis and 6-track design resulted in a hilariously large turning radius; the project is now on indefinite hold until I unlock Infernal Robotics hinges.

Pictures here (I'm tired of weeding my imgur account, so I decided to get my own virtual server).

I also freed 9GB of disk space by compressing old KSP saves.

Edited by Fail-Man 3D
I got a new VM instead of dealing with imgur

Got a contract to mine the Mun and decided to try and make my launch look like a real rocket with a fairing. The rather giant lander meant the fairing really dwarfed my giant triple rocket. Flawless mission though. Topped off the tanks of the ascent VX and sent its crew home to rack up some experience, leaving their engineer, Stelcy, doin' her engineer thing. She appeared quite happy cooking up fuel alone. I figure she'll throw quite a party when her buddies return.

12303968_10100542111740959_1282817281760

12314592_10100542111720999_4625353823409

12314445_10100542111745949_8762968048299

12304167_10100542111775889_2918724903017

12314310_10100542111780879_5459755453323

12304066_10100542111785869_3090822889508

12314565_10100542111815809_8990226172958

Wasn't too long before she got some company. New contract to expand the base (I like that feature of 1.0.5). I had planned the driller to be compatible with my science rover design, and it worked much better than my last attempt at such things. Landing things on top of the station is a serious pain, though.

12303909_10100542122334729_7072478183059

3 hours ago, Itsdavyjones said:

worked on a plane to use for kerbin based science, and this one works great, it actually takes off on it's own . . .

Cool.  My first planes were "self flying".  Took off, flew until out of fuel, glided and landed mostly intact or ditched safely into water; all without me guiding them at all (save for SAS).  Not very useful without piloting them, but they were experiments.

My idea at the time was that such a plane, especially without SAS, would be easier to control.  Actually, that was true for some planes and not so for others.

1 hour ago, parameciumkid said:

FzRztQbl.png
Today I improved my Portable Station. The new version includes more features than ever and with the optional Expansion Kit can be upgraded into a ring station. I'll post a download soon.

I was trying to do this very thing last week, but couldn't get the stupid modules to form a ring and attach to each other. How'd you manage it?

While I haven't done this in 1.0.5 (yet) I generally find the best procedure goes something like this:

Mock up the whole station in the VAB, with radial girders to hold things where you want them. Take special care to ensure the angle on the docking ports align precisely, as this is what will make or break the mission.
Break it into subassemblies and launch them to orbit, along with a claw-equipped tug.
Grab each module in the centre and dock such that both ports touch at the same time - this is tricky and may take a couple of attempts.

I generally find the launch vehicle design easier if only one port on each segment (the top one when launching) is angled.

Edited by steve_v