What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

42 minutes ago, katateochi said:

In career mode; modified my LearJet for science and built a cool little refuelling sled that slides under it and docks.....only to remember that in this career I've not unlocked fuel transfer yet! doh! 
Heyi06W.jpg

In Sandbox I attempted to make a very fast boat.  It was very slow and horrible! gave up on that.

And, for no-reason-in-particular, built a glider (it has small jet engines under the wings for take off, but then they're dropped and it's a pure glider)

That was quite successful and surprisingly fun to fly.  Landing has to be done carefully as it just has two wheels, both centrally placed, so it's got to remain perfectly level.

THIS is how to Air in KSP.  Love those Learjet engines, took me a while to figure out they're stock parts!

I blatantly ripped off DunaRocketeer's design for a VTOL plane that was posted earlier in this thread http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/27292-what-did-you-do-in-ksp-today/&do=findComment&comment=2311735

My attempt is not quite balanced but does take off vertically

Cbhu8nx.png

Landing using only the lift engines is hard.

NlxstOW.png

but is possible without breaking either the aircraft or KSC.

QWW98Pw.png

mHYCfKK.png

Edited by KerBlammo

6 hours ago, KerBlammo said:

I blatantly ripped off DunaRocketeer's design for a VTOL plane that was posted earlier in this thread

I'm flattered! Mine wasn't balanced initially, but some slight tilting of the lift engines helped in that regard, hope that helps :)

Edit - love your flight of the Navigator avatar - one of my favourite films!

Edited by DunaRocketeer

I put more work into developing the logistical backbone around Kerbin...

More resources were brought to the orbital shipyard...

OkRUEBs.jpg

Then the construction of the gigantic all-in-one mining outpost for the Mun surface finished...

qiiSZVX.jpg

A couple super-tankers launched from the KSC...

D0uJ2M4.jpg

To fuel up the travel stage of the base...

x7WkNvq.jpg

Then it set course for its destination...

233rR7u.jpg

Arrival over the Mun...

WwGR2ft.jpg

Valentina headed to the Munar surface with a range-extended lander to find and mark a good mining spot that offers good resource concentrations as well as sufficiently flat ground to land the mining base...

cGQvZTr.jpg

Once that had been done, the mining base descended and approached the marker flag...

Ez78QKo.jpg

Landing it right on the spot...

zsSoSk9.jpg

Though the landing went successfull, the landing legs proved to be improper to hold the massive unit, even though it was mostly empty at this stage. And thus the base slowly but steadly began to move. After it had "walked" uncontrolled more than 400 meters from its actual landing spot, it finally came to a stop. Thankfully it did not fall over or jump off the nearby cliff...

6Qgvcnx.jpg

Now that the autonomous mining complex was set up, another lifter launched from the KSC...

hf4T9DJ.jpg

Transporting an upgraded metal hauler into space...

eTN6T7m.jpg

It headed for the Mun as soon as it reached orbit...

tLM3iwJ.jpg

And transported the first load of M³ (Mun-mined-metal) to Kerbins orbital shipyard...

mUp2DIb.jpg

The resources were used to build a much bigger hauler in space...

ZJBo31W.jpg

The giant metal hauler arriving at the Mun...

bclTDvi.jpg

The mining center filled this hauler up with precious metal as well, using its built-in UKS logistics Hub...

G3fVbcv.jpg

Fully loaded weighting more than 2,500 tons, the hauler headed back to Kerbin to boost further orbital construction projects...

aO2grpk.jpg

Designed and prepped the Duna Exploration Complex, comprising a mission module (Hitchhiker can), a service module (batteries, fuel tanks, and solar panels), and an Ike/Duna lander.  Coupled with the nuclear-engined Horus XLN craft, it should be practically Duna-ready upon launch and rendezvous at Kerbin Orbital Station.

... Except Duna won't be quite ready; a good launch window is still close to a year away.  So, I'm planning on a precursor training mission that will exit Kerbin's SOI, visit a suitable nearby large asteroid, then return to Kerbin SOI and make a Minmus landing before returning to Kerbin Orbital Station.  That mission profile should be an adequate proof of concept.

My laptop finally crapped out on me after years of service, and while I work on getting a new desktop to replace it, I'm starting a new Campaign game on my girlfriends laptop...I must admit I'm a little discouraged/disappointed as I've always kept all my ship designs between saves via copying them over to the new "Ships" folder but sadly they've all been lost forever...

So now I'm starting from scratch for the first time in a while without any of the workhorse designs I've some to rely on, I'm torn between attempting to recreate some of them or striking off in new directions, but ultimately I'm just glad I can still play!

I've always spent more time designing things than flying them so despite being a fairly long time Kerbal player I've never made it past the Mun/Minmus, so my main goal is to really be productive this time and fly more missions instead of making umpteen different useless toys that don't serve any purpose! Lol.

10 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

My laptop finally crapped out on me after years of service, and while I work on getting a new desktop to replace it, I'm starting a new Campaign game on my girlfriends laptop...I must admit I'm a little discouraged/disappointed as I've always kept all my ship designs between saves via copying them over to the new "Ships" folder but sadly they've all been lost forever...

So now I'm starting from scratch for the first time in a while without any of the workhorse designs I've some to rely on, I'm torn between attempting to recreate some of them or striking off in new directions, but ultimately I'm just glad I can still play!

I've always spent more time designing things than flying them so despite being a fairly long time Kerbal player I've never made it past the Mun/Minmus, so my main goal is to really be productive this time and fly more missions instead of making umpteen different useless toys that don't serve any purpose! Lol.

That sucks that your computer died.

7 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

That sucks that your computer died.

Thanks, the only good thing that came out of it was that I was finally motivated enough to join the Kerbal forums, in an effort to inspire myself to get back on the horse...errr rocket!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket
Changed "inspired" to "motivated"...I hate re-using words!

Something amazing happened today.  I'm still shaking my head.
I've read it's possible... but the odds must be staggering.
Nearly 800 hours playing this game and I've never seen anything like it.
And I doubt I will again....

I'm about 4 1/2 years into my 1.0.5 career, getting ready to send probes and landers to Eve and Gilly.  But my transfer window is still about a year away, so I've been killing time playing with satellites and such.  I've also been tracking asteroids, and today I noticed a couple new ones had popped up.

But when I started tracking one of them, a Class-E named TSX-299, I noticed something weird... it made a rendevious with Kerbin... but the orbit line stopped at Kerbin.  Hmmmm, I thought, that's odd... Even ones that crash into the planet show escape orbit lines.
The rendevous with Kerbin was only about 60 days away, so I time advanced it, and saw the most remarkable thing happen.  The asteroid came into a near perfect orbit in Kerbin's SoI, then got caught in Minmus's SoI, swung around Minmus just enough, and back into a stable Kerbin orbit!!!
I am really sorry, and I am so mad at myself for not getting a screenshot of the orbits as it was happening, but it went by really quick, and I was trying desperately to hit the slow down key just to see it all.  I missed getting a screenshot of the wonky orbits until it was too late.

But this is how the orbit ended up after:

uIuUCgs.jpg

And wait... this get's even better...
I immediately sent a probe to go take a look, and was both thrilled and horrified when it got there. It's got to be the biggest asteroid I've ever seen!  This thing is a 3,800 ton monster!  I had no idea they even got this big.

iMni40X.jpg

ZKL8z45.jpg

X6PWs5y.jpg

So my new top priority is figuring a way to move this small mountain into a closer orbit.  Obvoiusly the probe isn't going to budge it.
But if I can make something big enough to move it... maybe tow it.... into a closer Kerbin orbit, I'm definitly going to build a space station into it!!!

I will probably start a mission report for this if it works...

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Something amazing happened today.  I'm still shaking my head.
I've read it's possible... but the odds must be staggering.
Nearly 800 hours playing this game and I've never seen anything like it.
And I doubt I will again....

I'm about 4 1/2 years into my 1.0.5 career, getting ready to send probes and landers to Eve and Gilly.  But my transfer window is still about a year away, so I've been killing time playing with satellites and such.  I've also been tracking asteroids, and today I noticed a couple new ones had popped up.

But when I started tracking one of them, a Class-E named TSX-299, I noticed something weird... it made a rendevious with Kerbin... but the orbit line stopped at Kerbin.  Hmmmm, I thought, that's odd... Even ones that crash into the planet show escape orbit lines.
The rendevous with Kerbin was only about 60 days away, so I time advanced it, and saw the most remarkable thing happen.  The asteroid came into a near perfect orbit in Kerbin's SoI, then got caught in Minmus's SoI, swung around Minmus just enough, and back into a stable Kerbin orbit!!!
I am really sorry, and I am so mad at myself for not getting a screenshot of the orbits as it was happening, but it went by really quick, and I was trying desperately to hit the slow down key just to see it all.  I missed getting a screenshot of the wonky orbits until it was too late.

But this is how the orbit ended up after:

uIuUCgs.jpg

And wait... this get's even better...
I immediately sent a probe to go take a look, and was both thrilled and horrified when it got there. It's got to be the biggest asteroid I've ever seen!  This thing is a 3,800 ton monster!  I had no idea they even got this big.

iMni40X.jpg

ZKL8z45.jpg

X6PWs5y.jpg

So my new top priority is figuring a way to move this small mountain into a closer orbit.  Obvoiusly the probe isn't going to budge it.
But if I can make something big enough to move it... maybe tow it.... into a closer Kerbin orbit, I'm definitly going to build a space station into it!!!

I will probably start a mission report for this if it works...

Wow...  That is awesome.  It reminds me of when Earth caught an asteroid for a short period of time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claimed_moons_of_Earth#Temporary_satellites

I wanted to try launching rockets from the air... And it worked!

It was more of a proof of concept so far. Even though I added a parachute, I failed to add a solar panel, and forgot to think reentry through. So after a safe Mun and Minmus landing, the capsule made it back to Kerbin atmosphere only

Tourist 2 collected 3 rescuees from lko before meeting up with a tourist transfer pod populated with 19 tourists(one of which only needed oribital and sub-o on kerbibn), returned the old tourists and rescued kerbals to the pod a loaded up on new tourists, making the crew compliment of the Tourists 2: 18 tourists, pilot, engineer, and 2 scientists(Science lab)

Then Tourist 2 headed off to the mun for the first leg, refueled, collected a landed kerbal + their 0.8 ton command pod(attached to landing leg with KAS), then Klawed a 2 person pod in high munar orbit that also needs to be returned. (plannign to use KAS to attach the smaller pod to one of the nodes of the larger pod before heading out to Minmus for more sight-seeing before heading to Kerbol).  Don't remember if I have any rescues at Minmus, but I know I have at least one in LKO to make sure that empty seat does not go to waste. 

While Tourist 2 was traveling, I sent up an Eve scansat followed by a Gilly fuel station, Managed to duplicate the performance of the Duna ships, even though the Eve ships were larger due to access to more efficient parts(that were also slightly larger, making it slightly heavier).  Gilly Fuel station had to burn a few hundred m/s after the initial stage ran dry, but the other 3 ships all managed to keep the launch stage remnants with remaining d-v for later burns.  

Duna 1 forgot to land on Gilly for the station contract, but got a good ejection burn from Minmus and should get the Kerbol station contract in a few more hours.  Transit time is projected to be about 170 days with

Automated Minmus base managed to top off the Machinery and make a healthy start on Rocket parts, if I don't unlock the UKS assembly modules soon, I may actually fill up all the resource bins.

Launching Eve pre-cursors managed to burn off quite a few funds, but I still seem to be adding finances faster than I can spend them(perhaps due to operating a full-time self-fueling cruise/rescue ship with a capacity of 18 tourists+ capture klaw).

May need to start considering some outer-planet resource-scanners and fuel depots as well...

I accepted 3 contracts: "Flyby Mun, Tylo and Vall," "Plant flag on Bop," "Plant flag on Pol". At first, I intended to do these missions separately. But instead, I went "eh why not" and made one rocket to do all 3. The rocket only cost me 262,209.3 funds and achieved all 3 contracts giving me 1,885,798 funds; a 1,623,588.7 funds profit. Plus, I got 142 science experiments done during the flyby of Tylo and Vall, as well as the 4 landings for Bop and 4 landings for Pol. I only missed one experiment on Bop (gravioli detector just above valleys I think). I gained about 21,000 science, even though I have no use for it since my tech tree's full. This was probably one of my most successful missions to date. Today was a good day.

17 hours ago, DunaRocketeer said:

I'm flattered! Mine wasn't balanced initially, but some slight tilting of the lift engines helped in that regard, hope that helps :)

Edit - love your flight of the Navigator avatar - one of my favourite films!

It did, thanks!

Now I'm practicing take offs (easy) and landings (not so easy) :)

This:

tHT5QBu.png

Yes, that is Bill walking around on the seabed 882 meters deep. How, you ask?

86C4s9j.png

A KAS anchor in his backpack, of course. Of course, it wouldn't have  happened if I hadn't noticed that the FASA Mercury capsule sank when fully loaded with Monopropellant and an occupant. Four versions later, Diving Bell Mk IV touched down with Bill and parts for a deep-sea monitoring station.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

This:

tHT5QBu.png

Yes, that is Bill walking around on the seabed 882 meters deep. How, you ask?

86C4s9j.png

A KAS anchor in his backpack, of course. Of course, it wouldn't have  happened if I hadn't noticed that the FASA Mercury capsule sank when fully loaded with Monopropellant and an occupant. Four versions later, Diving Bell Mk IV touched down with Bill and parts for a deep-sea monitoring station.

Here's the diving bell transporter.

pZVFmCG.png

Capable of 50 m/s on step, respectable range, and can haul out onshore with ease if needed.

The support platform:

u5dNw6B.png

Dual modded KAS winches (500m of cable on each) are loaded in the forward bay. I've stacked them in series, which allows this craft to pluck stuff from the deepest reaches of the oceans on Kerbin. (Jeb says it also makes a good deep-sea fishing platform.) Aft bay holds a KIS cargo crate to carry additional supplies, like science experiments, additional BBARI stations (Booster Bay Aquatic Research Institute), or whatever else is needed to get the job done. I'm hoing that it'll have enough clearance under the belly to carry the bell, but if it drags a little, that's something that a next-gen design would totally clear up.

There were... difficulties in launching the Duna Exploration Complex.

Spectacular, firey difficulties.

Oddly, Jeb tried to sneak on board the supposed-to-be-uncrewed launch at the last minute, but was asked to leave.  Later, he was heard mumbling something that sounded like, "I would have gotten it to orbit..."

Wernher von Kerman has confirmed that a second launch attempt would be made soon.

(I'm not making up the part about Jeb sneaking on board... I forgot to check the auto-crew thing when I moved it from the VAB, and there were Jeb and Bob, happily sitting in one of the modules.  It was quite funny.)

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

Didn't have a lot of time to play yesterday - in fact, I only had enough time to run a diagnostic process to check for buggy mods. I think I've found one; going to report it to the powers that be shortly (assuming they haven't discovered it already).