What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I have been away for a while, ( playing Prison Architect ^_^ )

But now I am back !

N3yFeUj.png

KiG 28....Never seen this close before...

Going to start a {-BDarmor AI Fighters-} top 10 list challenge soon for all you ACES out there. . . . Do you think  you are up to it ? :cool:

Will your name be on that list . . . . ?

Edited by Triop

I built a couple of small airplanes for use by the Kerbals I'm condemning to live on Tekto, the outer-most moon of Sarnus.  Being mere aircraft, not spaceplanes, they're incapable of getting to space by themselves so I had to figure a way of getting them all the way to Tekto.  I was pleased to see that my usual hack-job of using the aircraft as the tailfis of a bass-ackwards SSTO rocket lifter still works in the air of 1.0.5 :D.  And also that TAC Self-Destruct still works for debris removal in 1.0.5 despite not having been updated in way too long.

02-13 TOPERs

Get to the mun (for the for the time in 1.0 career) land gently aaaaaaannnnd the lander decide to sleep (fall to the side). hopefully, it didn't fall on the hatch side thos kerbal can get out. Man, months of not going anywhere else than LKO and now i'm not even able to land on the smallest slope:(. Well Jeb and freinds have 1 year of food to hold on, Val will come soon for them.

Edited by Hary R

I fixed up the broken bb code and imgur links in my entries for The Apollo Applications Program 1.0 Challenge. Kudos to GregroxMun for a great challenge - basically what to do with the Apollo hardware after Apollo 17... 

My entry I enjoyed the most: Apollo 20 - Duna landing

I'm working on an Apollo hardware derivative Jool 5 but I've been distracted with feasibility checking a real world 2015 hardware solo Mars flyby.

It looks like if you stick a Soyuz with 700 kg of it's fuel removed on a Delta IV Heavy then in 2023 you can throw the Soyuz around Venus and Mars and back in 500 days with 1,600 kg available for life support and any customizations required. I invite any hole poking here Yet Another Minimal Manned Mars Mission Attempt

Edited by DBowman

1 hour ago, DBowman said:

I fixed up the broken bb code and imgur links in my entries for The Apollo Applications Program 1.0 Challenge. Kudos to GregroxMun for a great challenge - basically what to do with the Apollo hardware after Apollo 17... 

My entry I enjoyed the most: Apollo 20 - Duna landing

I'm working on an Apollo hardware derivative Jool 5 but I've been distracted with feasibility checking a real world 2015 hardware solo Mars flyby.

It looks like if you stick a Soyuz with 700 kg of it's fuel removed on a Delta IV Heavy then in 2023 you can throw the Soyuz around Venus and Mars and back in 500 days with 1,600 kg available for life support and any customizations required. I invite any hole poking here Yet Another Minimal Manned Mars Mission Attempt

That's a seriously admirable endeavour. I'm impressed by the elegance and complexity of it- I have much to learn from this mission!
-Khorso

And today I managed to reach Moho !   The 'Odysseus' in the deceleration (Orbit insertion) phase :

RHMEzCs.png

Then I tried landing the Miner craft that worked so well on Minmus...  Looks like the guys back home miscalculated how much Delta-V it took to land and return with a full ore load...  Not only that, but my I-Beam landing gears exploded all the time the second they touched the surface, no matter the speed (even  at sub 1 m/s)...  So I decided to land the Rover with Valentina and Bill while waiting for a replacement miner from Kerbin.  Here is the 'Helios Rover' rolling south to an Ore field we spotted from orbit, in one of the VERY FEW flatlands I drove thru :

esDIkVT.png

Taking a dinner break, the two decided to plant a flag and take a picture :

eXnbzr4.png

Not exactly where we wanted to Mine the ore, but still in the field in question... just about 100km short of the real destination.  Mission Control was studying the driving data that Valentina and Bill were feeding them, and decided that the terrain was quite challenging and that Ore concentrations was about 13.8% where the 'Helios Rover' was.  So they told the duo to stay put and wait for Sarah to land beside them on a flat surface (Driving is annoying on Moho, almost not flatlands... Very rugged terrain makes progress slow if not risky, and I'm good with rovers). Finally Sarah put down the Miner onto a 20° slope but it held perfectly.  Making sure the mining operation was started, Sarah joined the group outside for a panoramic photo of sorts and a group close-up, before heading back to oversee the mining.

The 'Moho Ore Extractor', the trio of brave Kerbonauts, and the 'Helios Rover' :

r3o8SRc.png

Sarah - Bill - Valentina; the three lucky ones that landed / drove on Moho's surface :

fpJmyKy.png

Now the mission is to refuel the Odysseus (still in a polar orbit), return the crew to it, and head back home.  
The data collected by mission control was invaluable for future missions and improving the Minng ship, the rover and even the mothership.

And to say this all started when someone screamed in Mission Control : "I am never going back to Moho".
Well, mission accomplished !
 -- Francois424

Edited by Francois424

landed on ovok and hale.took the lander from "fat boy" and went to ovok orbit. 

mission- "fat boy in sarnus"

nefb7l.pngv7s18p.png

ovok's rough terrain and nasty slopes :sticktongue:2cz6luw.png2wocdac.png

landed into a nasty slope,but ovoks low gravity allowed me to do this with out any problems.

262l7dd.png331ezaa.png

after ovok,went to hale.

sykzrn.png5oattw.png

landing went well. :sticktongue:

2itsinp.png

valentina enjoys halel's low gravity...jjlan8.png

docking back to "fat boy"  :wink:

2z5k5d1.png2illqqe.png

kerbin here we go!

2gvqa0m.png

hello kerbin! :sticktongue:

npjjwz.png2d82v6o.png

Damn everyone is so advanced at the game o.o

Well I visited almost every planet (and Sarnus and it's moons) but I still don't know how to dock XD My first successful docking was today in orbit around Kerbin :PP and I'm working on my first station ever (I can post pics when it's done but you'll probably puke), anyways I'm going for my 2nd full IVA mission today (using the great IVA mods of course).

ASES is proud to announce the go-live of its Minmus mining operation. Docked to the new "ASES Labora" space station is the upper/transfer stage of the original F5h heavy lifter rocket. It will be reused for the upcoming manned Duna mission. It is the upper stage that carried the "ASES Labora" to its current orbit. Also docked to the Labora are the mining probe and the ore coverter. The latter just arrived from Mun orbit with the tug that is still attached to it. Spaceward Ho!

screenshot56.png

I'm continuing to plan a new exploration architecture based on my current method of flying boosters back to KSC, I know that I mention it a lot on here, but I'm just happy that I've found a new way of making launches difficult again :sticktongue:. First create a winged flyback booster, this time based on the 3m rocket parts, which will be big enough to put a Mk3 based payload on a suborbital trajectory before flying back under jet power. The Mk3 upperstage will continue into orbit before going on to Duna, where it will refuel, drop its cargo and fly back to Kerbin. No parachutes to make descent easier, just relying on my landing ability ;.;. I've tested in Sandbox mode a basic version of the upper stage on Kerbin - it doesn't yet have enough delta-v, and there are roll control issues, but I'm working on improving it. I just need more science to build it in my main game!

Successfully built a boat... or, really, just the hull of one, imaginatively named "Hull Mk II"...  stuck a couple of Junos and an external command seat on it, put retractable landing gear on the bottom with the front wheels steerable, and rolled it across the plain from KSC to the water.

Improvements are needed.... top speed (in the water) was only 8.9 m/s and steering was a problem; I could direct things a little by increasing/decreasing the thrust on the port and starboard Junos, but it was not easy; and I think I built too big (which also adversely affected frame rate).   Hull Mk III will be smaller... trying to decide if I want to put control surfaces (like a rudder) up in the air, or if it's possible/practical to put them down in the water?

ETA.... Just thought of something... wonder if it's possible to build a floating pier using KAS?  A couple of anchor points on the shore, linked to connections on a floating platform...  I think it could work.

Edited by MaxwellsDemon
Added thought

Built a safe twelve-man return vehicle, to take 11 tourists to orbit and rescue a kerbal, bringing them all home safely. You know, after my struggles with getting my previous deathtrap down safely carrying only a third as many.

CCGm1b.png

O5EGAr.png

By sticking heatshields on the bottom, and keeping the probe core in a bay, everything becomes safe for re-entry. Parachute placement has also been selected for safety, and they automatically deploy based on pressure (I activated them while in orbit).

rMd0j5.png

Nbn5ej.png

There was plenty of excess fuel. In fact, I could probably have replaced the central tank of the return vehicle with a structural fuselage and still completed the mission. I just spent a little towards the end to help decelerate for an extra safety margin. 

I had quite an adventure today... (sorry, no pics)

I saw that a C-class asteroid was heading for a Kerbin periapsis of 15km, so I decided to try my first ARM. I built a gigantic launcher with MOAR BOOSTERZ and managed to intercept the space rock a day or so before periapsis. I attached the ship to the asteroid and burned radial to get the periapsis to 50km. My plan was to skim through the atmosphere to bring the apoapsis down to something less than a hyperbolic trajectory, then make a small burn at apoapsis to put the asteroid on a stable orbit.

All was going well until about halfway through the reentry. To my horror, with full SAS applied, the entire thing rotated until the vessel was facing the airstream, unprotected by the giant rock. It exploded, and so did the asteroid (somehow).

The craft was unmanned, so no Kerbals were lost.

Because I had to bring home my Krew, it appears that my space station was not deorbited...  It was on a trajectory which brought it into the atmosphere, and I did see it enter the atmosphere, but I guess it left physics range and got into a 'stable' orbit.  (It's really on course for the atmosphere, but I have to go to it and keep it in physics range to get it to deorbit...

Surprisingly, the majority of it survived.

Edited by Guest

Mission to Dres returned home, and parked at Kerbin's science-farming station. Its nuclear reactor was still loaded with uranium, and it didn't have enough fuel to ditch into the Mun or something (and I guess uranium is valuable probably), so sent up my newer SSTO with an empty uranium tank, some extra fuel for the space station, and space to bring Kerbals home in. Made it to the station pretty easily, and after fiddling with a bug that wouldn't let me transfer anything, successfully got the dangerous radioactive material off the interplanetary ship, making it relatively safe to deorbit.

mBFa4vt.png

Deorbit burn was a bit tedious without any nuclear power to drive the obscenely power-hungry engines. Surprisingly, everything except the solar panels and radiators survived reentry. Good thing I put it in the ocean... I mean, it doesn't really matter since Kerbin's cities are mod-generated mirages, but still.

MyeYuDO.png

And the spaceplane landed on the runway, for once! I've always ended up landing in the general vicinity of the runway because I can't line up properly. Came in over the mountains near KSC and had more than enough fuel to fly the rest of the way.

c2ywFZE.jpg

On 12/13/2015, 11:39:11, Torgo said:

Not in KSP, but took advantage of the 75 degree windless day here in NJ and launched model rockets all morning with my son. Suffered the first casualty of our space program when one rocket ended up landing in a tree, but had 4 rockets with 17 launches between them. 

Now will have to pack them away probably until April. 

That's so awesome.  ...nuts I miss my dad.

I started building a massive Munar tourism rover for a challenge I started. Meanwhile, I was planning to go a voyage to Jool and using KER to experiment with LV-N ∆v values. I eventually built some kind of a ship. At the same time, I was wondering weather to go ahead with a proper Duna mission. 

It's entirely possible that my mission portfolio is about to become a tad over-diversified. 

Since photos are semi-obligatory, here's a few of my voyager:

D01B6986F2C7B9FF23F65FFD457201A9027A5E39

I opted for a nice sleek design. It can do about 9.5 km/s ∆v. A set of hidden reaction wheels make it nice and nimble. 

AFA70A55C07D191091344C28456DA26A7DA97396

The massive visibility makes the extra weight of the cockpit more than worth it. 

Mun Lab Expedition 1 returned home on Relayer II after a try out of the new reusable Mun Lander and supervising the addition of a Cupola to the orbital lab.

MfCy4LN.png

While they were at the Mun Lab Kerbalkind had upgraded Kerbin.

1ahQHNV.png

Luckily the LKO station was still there along with a ride the rest of the way home.

zxosX1o.png

yMhlU6w.png

About a week ago I posted a pic of a glider I made, but it used Jet engines to get it into the sky.  They were then jettisoned but still, didn't feel authentic, so yesterday I decided to try and do it properly and tow the glider behind a small prop-plane using a KAS winch.  Let's just say there were some initial problems.....

qFgxxmO.jpg

Amazingly Jeb (piloting the prop-plane) survived that crash! actually he survived all the crashes, while Val and Bob in the glider needed resurrecting after nearly every crash.  It seems that sitting in a command chair, in an open top cockpit without a helmet on is much safer than being in an enclosed cockpit!

It took a lot of tweaking to get the plane capable of towing the glider and then many failed attempts (two airborne things joined together with a KAS line make for really great crashes!) before it was a survivable experience. But finally today I've got the process locked down (mostly).  I'll try to make a vid of this is I have time.

This plane is only able to tow it up to about 1400m so I need a more powerful plane.  

Here's a couple funny fail sequences (well.....I thought they were funny) (I didn't embed these two cos' these pages are long enough as it is!)
http://imgur.com/a/vguYy | http://imgur.com/a/6cTL6