What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

19 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Yeah, the thing is the marker never shows, regardless of distance. So yeah, I'm forced to stare at space looking for the little sparkle of a ship

And, if I remember correctly, the marker showed for my first docking, but none of the following ones.

Okay, now that is bad. Sorry that I have no better ideas, but have you tried asking in the support forum?

26 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Yeah, the thing is the marker never shows, regardless of distance. So yeah, I'm forced to stare at space looking for the little sparkle of a ship

And, if I remember correctly, the marker showed for my first docking, but none of the following ones.

Try pressing F4

When I figured out that each building at the Space Center was its own biome, I had to throw together a sciencey hovercraft to check them out.

12370832_10100546617576229_2518789668127

10295281_10100546617661059_5725286955555

I quickly decided I needed a manned one, so I could get crew reports and all-important surface samples of the roofs. It ended up significantly larger.

12356871_10100546617735909_5211655208324

12377730_10100546617790799_8499666389497

I love that my space program's admin building is a double-wide with a (presumably leaky and noisy) external AC unit. :)

smile emotico

Edited by Billygoat_J

No pics because I'm under data restriction (10gb is not enough!). Took my Moho lander with 2.5k m/s dv and put it atop a newly completed transfer stage with 8.5k m/s dv. Launch stage is a Rhino with 2 sidekicks. Skipper puts it in orbit requiring only 50+ m/s to circularize and leaving 600 m/s to start the transfer burn.

Went to the Jool system for the first time since 0.25. Haven't been back because Laythe hates me. Transfer was only a little over 2k from LKO to Jool. Made orbit. Can't do Laythe or Tylo with this lander but I have never been to Pol, Bop. or Vail.

Set up for Pol first. Tough to land on due to really low gravity. I thought it would be easy. Touched down on a really steep slope. It was resting on 2 legs. Turned off SAS and watched as it settled down on all 4. No hint of tipping. Planted obligatory flag. Back to orbit, rendezvous, and docking. Forgot again to select 'control from here' on the pod. Turned out ok as I am still orbiting Jool in the right direction.

Next up Bop. Matched planes. Holman transfer. Fine tuned Pe. Circularized. Chose a landing site. Right clicked docking port to uncouple. CRASH! Hello desktop. Too many mods, too little RAM.

I am ready for 1.1 and 64 bit. 

23 hours ago, Bill Zarr said:

Added a few more modules to the LKO station I've been building to replace the one that was built earlier in career. 7 construction flights, 106 parts not including the SSTO space-plane. The ISRU is to see if I can make use of those ore from Mun/Minmus to Kerbin orbit contracts.

ktoruzY.jpg

I love this spaceplane and am trying to replicate it, but failing miserably. I'm getting nowhere near orbit. I'm guessing the part behind the service bay is an Engine Precooler? Are there any fuel tanks under the wings? Also, are your RCS thrusters a mod? I've seen those before, but can't replicate them with RV-105's and Place-Anywhere's as I expected.

When it comes to spaceplanes, I'm a complete noob, so I could be missing something extremely obvious.

31 minutes ago, Billygoat_J said:

I love this spaceplane and am trying to replicate it, but failing miserably. I'm getting nowhere near orbit. I'm guessing the part behind the service bay is an Engine Precooler? Are there any fuel tanks under the wings? Also, are your RCS thrusters a mod? I've seen those before, but can't replicate them with RV-105's and Place-Anywhere's as I expected.

It looks like the middlepart is actually an engine intake, rotated upsidedown.
As for the RCSs, what you do is put a RV105 next to a place-anywhere, and then adjust the placement of the place anywhere to be behind the 105, and then pull it "out" until the thruster is peaking over the top.

Also, if you like the spaceplane, but cant get the hang of building ones yet, consider a TwoSTO, with droppable tanks or boosters.

Ummm.... well.... I sent up the Mun Lab Expedition 2 crew via SSTO to the LKO station where they boarded the nuclear powered crew transfer vehicle Relayer II.  After a stop off at the fuel depot in HKO (Relayer II has done two round trips to the Mun and was running low) they headed for Munar orbit.  On arrival while preparing to rendezvous with the orbital Mun Lab I noticed that the Mun Lab was no longer there!

This is a bit of a problem.

Well I had to restart from scratch but I finally got it
Weighing in at over 2500 tons, 345 parts (so far) and plenty of cannons to scare off any kazis
For your consideration….The Megalith Class Battleship

UHpppO1.png

Edited by War Eagle 1

Built a new Mk2 sized SSTO. Wasn't able to get it to be a pure LF only like was my goal, but by using rapiers in closed cycle mode for about 15-20 seconds, I now have a 100% re-useable SSTO spaceplane that's both scaleable and has capacity to spare for lifting satellites (I essentially do a couple of runs to a 100x100 orbit, and the average fuel I have left after doing that then de-orbiting minus a couple percent is my useable lifting capability. Obviously it could get tweaked further to lift a larger sat if I don't want the plane to orbit itself.

Last night I finished the testing of my Duna cargo transport system. I launched two of them (one manned, the other a tanker variant) and successfully docked them in LKO. The tanker offloaded its propellant and returned to Kerbin. The crewed DCT then executed a burn all the way to the edge of Kerbins SOI to simulate aerobraking from interplanetary velocities. The vehicle remained stable throughout, and after the second aerobreaking pass it retroburned to a landing near KSC.

Now to fill out the cargo bays with all the various equipment. I've already fitted out the engineers ship with a mk1 pod, life support cans, KIS tools, ramps, and my Mun rover which has been repurposed to be a tractor by tweakscaling a grabber to the front. There's three other ships to fill out, too. All the ground based equipment will be tested on Kerbin before it gets hauled into space, but I'm hoping that won't take too long.

So that's it, after all the wonky re-entries, fuel depletion, exploding decouplers, broken landing legs and wobbly landing gear, I think it's ready. Whilst it's small potatoes compared to other vehicles I see on here, if it works it'll be the largest thing I've ever landed on another world.

kgNamr6.jpg

No pix, but then, I suppose you'd need more than that to fully appreciate it:

Today I did something, first-try, that I've always thought would be fun. Rode a re-entry concurrent to FLCL's "Crazy Sunshine" song, AKA, when Takkun swings his guitar to deflect the sinker asteroid from destroying Earth.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8FvM8H_0-k)

I am so damn happy right now. KSP rules.

Edited by Venusgate

13 hours ago, Billygoat_J said:

When it comes to spaceplanes, I'm a complete noob, so I could be missing something extremely obvious.

It has 3 of the structural intakes underneath at the back. The thing behind the service bay is a liquid fuel tank, the RCS thruster is just stock with a linear RCS port shifted over in offset mode. It's pretty much a point at 15° above the horizon all the way into space flight path. It has ~300m/s left in a 75x75km orbit & some liquid fuel left after re-entry for flying back after overshooting /undershooting the KSC. Oh and no fuel tanks under the wings, just the 3 that can be seen.

Edited by Bill Zarr

It's not what I did today as much as what did I do in the wee hours of this morning and last night! Last night, while looking for a specific part, I found I had some .625 cockpits I had never noticed. So, with that in mind, I decided to create a small lightweight aircraft that would be ideal for shuttling a Kerbal from the KSC to the island station, or other short range as needed. So, after thirty minutes of brain storming, testing, and everything else, I did this... the Kersplat Aero Mk 1!

2 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Went to the Moon in RSS. No screenshots though: I was too focussed on accomplishing the mission to take any. Next time I'll get there I'll take a few and probably post about it.

I know that well - and usually think of doing screenshots once I've returned back to Kerbin orbit. Now the question becomes about recreating the mission to capture the images wanted...

8 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I know that well - and usually think of doing screenshots once I've returned back to Kerbin orbit. Now the question becomes about recreating the mission to capture the images wanted...

No worries though, my current lunar program includes at least 3 landings, so I'll definitely get another chance to take screenshots. ;)

Haha, just been going through my image archive, and I've found my very first (successful) Mun mission, all the way back in 2013! What a dog that rocket was! Nevertheless, this is what started it all off for me, even if it was just the Demo, it was enough to begin the obsession.

http://imgur.com/a/aLucw

Last weekend I started a new save. I told myself I was minimizing reverts, a first for me. I get am early contract to test the BACC at the launchpad, and a parachute contract. Jeb goes in a Mk 1-2 on top of the BACC, line it with chutes, and off we go. I know if I go straight up I'll re-enter to fast to survive, so I pitch right off the launchpad into horizontal-ish flight. Atmospheric heating started up way too quickly, so I popped the chutes. About a second later the heat gauge popped up, and a second after that I had a RUD. Does anyone know how long kerbals stay MIA for?