What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

5 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

@adsii1970: Thanks. I was just about to reply to this thread again myself when I noticed your post.
I had downloaded and installed KBPS again. I've gone through the partlist at least three or four times just to make sure. It was not there.

I really don't run that many mods. Although I once was a die hard B9 Aerospace fan, the parts pack just became too large for my laptop to handle and I do not like the idea of having to use mods such as Active Texture Management, especially since 1.0 came out. The only mod pack I am waiting for is an update for LackLuster Labs (LLL) with those parts. In the future, when I have a new system, I do plan do download the new scatterer, but that will probably be it...

21 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I really don't run that many mods. Although I once was a die hard B9 Aerospace fan, the parts pack just became too large for my laptop to handle and I do not like the idea of having to use mods such as Active Texture Management, especially since 1.0 came out. The only mod pack I am waiting for is an update for LackLuster Labs (LLL) with those parts. In the future, when I have a new system, I do plan do download the new scatterer, but that will probably be it...

Same here, I used to love B9 Aerospace. And I agree. It got too big for its own good.
Too bad other great mods are going down that very same path. (Mk2 Expansion and Kerbal Planetary Base Systems to name just two.) They get an ever greater fan base that has ever bigger ideas and wants demands ever more and more parts. Eventually a mod outgrows itself and gets too big to be effectively used in combination with other great mods. In the end people will switch to smaller, more light weight mods that do basically the same.

15 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Same here, I used to love B9 Aerospace. And I agree. It got too big for its own good.
Too bad other great mods are going down that very same path. (Mk2 Expansion and Kerbal Planetary Base Systems to name just two.) They get an ever greater fan base that has ever bigger ideas and wants demands ever more and more parts. Eventually a mod outgrows itself and gets too big to be effectively used in combination with other great mods. In the end people will switch to smaller, more light weight mods that do basically the same.

I'm not opposed to an idea I have had for a while - there's nothing wrong with a mod pack having a volume assigned. Volume 1 has the basic core parts; subsequent volumes each could have a specific set of parts that are not required to download and install to enjoy the basic mod pack.

As an example: In the case of Kerbal Planetary Base system, the release they have all that would be needed for the basic parts pack. Volume 2 could focus on parts to make ground vehicles or even drones for planetary exploration. Volume 3 could be more science labs, and Volume 4 could be more industrial packs, such as one that will convert ores to parts, etc. That way, the end user (KSP player) has more flexibility in how they play the game. I would point that NearFuture did just this - they had a whole line of NearFuture mods that one could pick and choose what to install without having to crash the game.

I successfully completed a million-dollar (OK, million-fund) contract to land a large wheeled base on Eve, playing career mode on Hard difficulty settings with FAR (no quicksaves).  Contract requirements were to have room for 8 Kerbals, be staffed by three scientists, have a science lab, have 1500 units of monopropellant, and be supported on wheels.  It was one of the most complex vehicles I've ever built: very asymmetric, launched vertically but entering Eve's atmosphere sideways to present a larger cross-section for aerobraking.  It used nine heat shields and a large number of thermal radiators to deal with the heat of entering Eve's atmosphere.  Might have been a bit over-designed, but I'd never sent a vehicle into Eve's atmosphere in 1.0.5 so didn't really know what to expect in terms of heating or braking.

I didn't beta-test it or anything, just designed it very robustly and went for it.  And it worked!  Love it when that happens.  Anyway, pics below.

Edited by Yakky

Let's face it: this had to happen at some point:

12377613_10100547993803259_8696882018733

12375157_10100547993798269_8680319731148

I tried a whole bunch of configurations using rockets, but of course their fuel didn't last long. This one with ramjets could go forever. I made sure the thrust was only horizontal, to see just how much lift I could get out of the wings. Answer: not much, but enough to get it in the air. Rose about 1km per minute for the first 11km, then slowed significantly. I killed it after 25 minutes and 15km, having used about half my fuel. My pilot was none too happy, but his centrifuge training served him well.

Couldn't get back to KSP -- I was diagnosed with Appendicitis, underwent operation (Laparoscopy) and yet to be discharged in about three days. 

On the bright side, I was almost able to finish a Douglas A-20 before life happened.

I started testing a concept for completing tourist contracts. I stacked a Mk 1-2 pod over a decoupler set to 0% impulse. There was a Mk 1 crew cabin under this, a regular decoupler and an RT-10 under that. I set the parachutes on the capsule regularly so Jeb was safe, but the crew cabin had a different configuration. The parachutes were set to semi-deploy at 0.70 atm (2000 m on Kerbin) so that they would pop automatically. This quick test only went up to 30,000 m, but so far it's working, and all of the crewed parts are coming down safely. The next step is to take it orbital and see if I can keep the components within 22.5 km from each other. 

Today Val did a 4 Kerbal rescue missions in one flight.

YKTrbJD.png

Landing went great until final approach. For some reason the wings both hit "the launchpad". Val proceded to land the lifting body saving all occupants. If anyone knows how to prevent airbrakes from blowing up during re-entry, I am interested to know.

dQE8HzZ.png

And the original trio filled up the gas tank on the "Eve Explorer" - not very original, I know.

aU03NV2.png

Landing on Gilly basically means aiming at the ground and turning the ship around before impact. :) 

Edited by Snarfster

9 hours ago, Columbia said:

Couldn't get back to KSP -- I was diagnosed with Appendicitis, underwent operation (Laparoscopy) and yet to be discharged in about three days. 

On the bright side, I was almost able to finish a Douglas A-20 before life happened.

Dude! that's horrible! I hope you mend quickly!

Today I didn't do what I was planning, I had a thought while in the shower this morning ending up making a rough, but functional BB-8;

YCiaCQd.jpgPvLQwqQ.jpg

Here's a quick vid showing him moving and also some of his issues
and here's the craft file - http://kerbalx.com/katateochi/BB-8

I achieved my first manual docking, totally by accident.

Normally, I have mechJeb do orbital rendezvous, and for simplicity's sake, let it handle the docking as well. (I know, there's controversy about this). But, I installed the mechJeb module on the wrong stage of the new section of my space station, and so when I decoupled the rendezvous stage, I lost access to the autopilot features. So, I'm sitting here, looking at my screen, and am about to revert and give myself autopilot, but Survivor's Eye of the Tiger came on, and I felt like I had to at least try.

The new section of my station was two Hitchhiker modules, a 2.5m to double 1.25m adapter, two structural fuselages, another adapter, and a 2.5m docking port. Attached to one end was a space tug that had RCS capabilities, and had the only maneuverability for the craft. Ridiculously unbalanced, but I really care about how the finished station looks.

TLDR; my first manual docking was with a ludicrously unbalanced craft, and had an epic soundtrack.

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

Dude! that's horrible! I hope you mend quickly!

Today I didn't do what I was planning, I had a thought while in the shower this morning ending up making a rough, but functional BB-8;

YCiaCQd.jpgPvLQwqQ.jpg

Here's a quick vid showing him moving and also some of his issues
and here's the craft file - http://kerbalx.com/katateochi/BB-8

Nice!

I fixed a texture problem from Friday's update to ColorCodedCanisters. Then I went back to working on something totally unrelated to KSP, but people here might appreciate anyway. I made a bunch of lightsaber parody videos back in 2007, and in celebration of the new Star Wars, I decided to clean them up a little and re-upload.

Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=14A3957DB2978304

Had to uninstall EVE and switch back to 32-bit thanks to memory-bloat and constant inexplicable freezing on 64-bit. That 1.1 update can't come soon enough.

On the plus side, my preposterously efficient NFP ion ship (over 40,000 d/v) arrived at Jool, doing a flyby of Tylo before entering orbit of... uh... Tylo. Planning to visit all the Jool moons; this ship has a multi-stage sub-craft for escaping Tylo (the last stage should be able to handle the other airless moons) and a separate ship will hopefully make its way to Laythe with an escape vehicle. Should really bring a spaceplane next time...

U0Q7ycg.png

Edited by kotomikun